7.4

$460

Most common solutions:

1. replace trim (23 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 052018

Explorer Limits 3.2L V6

Just bought the car from a dealership, headed up the road 95N FL to DC. About 300 miles out there was this flapping sound on the drivers side. Pulled over to inspect, I see that the molding trim came lose from window. No proper way to fix it, I stuffed tissue paper in the crack and forced the molding back in place. This event in turn caused my windshield wipers to work in mist mode, couldn't turn it off. Called dealership, after turning they repaired it.

- Louis L., Jacksonville, FL, US

Jul 312017

Explorer

Trim flew off in road. Luckily was able to get it fixed free because the dealership said that a recall should be coming because they had a few other Explorers with the same issue.

- ladysc, Aiken, US

Nov 012018

Explorer

Had this problem fixed before and now the trim on the other side of the vehicle has flew off. Do not know where it is and what harm it caused other people. Do not want to have to get it fixed and pay out of pocket. Especially when this is an issue for 2013 Ford Explorers. I am going to post a review on every site I find.

- ladysc, Aiken, US

Jun 122018

Explorer XLT

Driving down the highway and driver's side windshield guard blew off. Not sure if it hit another car or caused a problem because it was late at night. I didn't notice till the next morning and the passenger side is loose.

- sherrylm, Austin, US

Nov 272017

Explorer V6

My windshield trim flew off while driving in the freeway. I went to Ford and was told this is very rare and that they only have one more car that this happened to. I looked up complaints and there seems to be many complaints about this problem. They are charging me $500 to fix this. This is not under the warranty. Looks like this is a manufacture problem. Not sure why Ford is making people pay for this since this is happening very often.

- Gaby G., San Diego, US

Sep 062017

Explorer Limited

windshield trim flies off

First off the seal around windshield on both sides has broken loose and while driving, hit windows and then tore off. Then the other day when driving on highway I heard a weird noise and then when I finally was at my destination I noticed the the side panel to my windshield was gone. I was driving 65-70 on a highway and so I hope that it did not hit any cars behind me. It was dark out and so I didn't see it fly off. The other side looks like it may come off as well. I have only had the vehicle 4 months. This is a serious problem and Ford really should do a recall on this before it causes an accident or a death.

- campbell525, Palm Harbor, US

Aug 222017

Explorer

Yesterday in the evening, while my husband and I were headed out of town on I-695, I suddenly noticed something hanging off the car just outside my window on the passenger's side. I alert my husband, he looks over and puts on his signal to change lanes and pull off of the beltway. Before he could change lanes, the piece flew off the car and caused three cars behind us to swerve, narrowly avoiding a collision! He exited the beltway and pulled into a gas station where we discovered the window trim was gone! That was a terrible experience! I called the Ford Service department as soon as they opened this morning to report the issue. When I told the Customer Service Representative what happened, she said it sounded like something from Smokey and the Bandit. The service manager told me to come to the body shop for an estimate. This should not be happening! The Ford Motor Company should add this to the recall list!

- Yvette W., Baltimore, US

Aug 222017

Explorer 3.5L

windshield trim flies off

Diving down the 90 east in Mass. when for a minute I heard a strange rattling/vibration sound on dash... all of a sudden a loud crack occurred on my driver mirror and i saw my trim piece flying behind me. Luckily there was no one behind me!! I'm sure it would've caused a bad accident.

It was about 90 degrees and humid out with a good amount of wind. I believe this is faulty adhesive/clips. Just purchased vehicle from used dealer and going in tomorrow to see if I get a new trim piece. This is a safety hazard and a recall should be issued! Other trim piece looks like the top might let go soon.

- Andrew L., North Tonawanda, NY, US

Jul 032017

Explorer XLT 3.2L

I had my windshield replaced due to crack and since then nothing but issues. I would complain to the people that replaced the windshield, but its falling apart. This has nothing to sue with re-installation. As an engineer, I can easily say this is a faulty design. I will be calling the dealership and complain. I'm sure since I had someone else do the repairs, They wont honor the warranty.

- Jorge G., Spring, US

Jul 232017

Explorer XLT

I was driving home on 59 going about 70 when the trim flies up and slaps my windshield a few times and blew away. It was not recoverable due to high speed traffic. I was told it will cost about 400.00 to replace. I think Ford should cover this expense because from what I'm reading this is not the first time this has happened. They are playing stupid like they have never had this problem before. I'm pissed and will never buy another Ford.

- Pam F., Conroe, US

Jun 032016

Explorer

I was traveling to Oconto, Wisconsin on the highway when my driver side window trim blew off in congested traffic at a high speed. I thank GOD no one was injured nor did an accident occur. Then a week later on the way to work the other trim blew off on the regular street of 45mph. I was able to pull off and capture it from the street unlike the one on the highway. Upon calling the dealership, they quoted me $569 apiece to fix them each. I am frustrated because when I purchased the vehicle the windshield had a fog spot between the glass that obstructed the drivers view. The company gave me an IOU to have the glass replace for free. Upon replacing the windshield and regaining my truck, an hour later the trims were very loose and flapping. I called the shop and told them and they stated it was the windshield company responsibility even though Ford hired the company to do the replacement. I have always purchased GMC / Pontiac vehicles all my life and the one time I step away and purchase a ford vehicle I have encountered more problem in a short time than the years of Pontiac. I had a grandma for 11 years before I had a major issue with reversing my vehicle from parking spots. Otherwise the standard maintenance was kept up. Ford needs to step up there vehicles and service to customers.

- dunnmj, Zion, IL, USA

May 172017

Explorer Limited V6

Windshield trim is to prevent leaks. The car is only 4 years old and should not be having these problems already. Of all the cars I have owned, I have never had these problems so early. I still own a 96 Mark 8 and a 77 Chevy Nova that did not have those type problems within the first 10 years of ownership.

- Wanda D., Orlando, FL, US

May 272017

click to see larger images

windshield trim flies off windshield trim flies off windshield trim flies off

Both came flying off at 70mph and almost caused an accident. I only could retrieve one as the other flew into a canal. Going to Ford Dealer to see what they will do. I don't expect much. If they don't help, I'm going to Twitter and other means. Ridiculous!

- Kevin T., Miami, US

May 202017

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Window trim flew off on the drivers side. This is the second time it happened. The first time was on the passenger side. The first time was covered by the original warranty. This time was in the early morning. The first time was in a heavy cross wind. This second episode cost me just shy of $400. For a design defect. This is a safety hazard for other cars on the road. I expect this to be an ongoing issue every couple of years as I live in a very hot environment and the sun is going to bake those black window trims, and the clips that hold them into place. Ford should address this problem with it's customers. Total BS.

- Scott W., Clovis, US

May 122017

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

The passenger side windshield rubber trim and plastic panel came off at 65 mph and I had to use duct tape to hold the windshield together and also avoid rain water from seeping in.

Interested in putting together a class action law suit because this is definitely a poor manufacturing process or cheap glue/rubber seal usage; previously owned couple of expeditions and never had any problem with such things.

- Sam P., Tampa, FL, US

Mar 182017

Explorer

My window trim has flown off TWICE now. First time having to be replaced costing well over $500.00 with parts and labor. Luckily the second time I was able to retrieve the part however it still cracked. When getting it fixed the second time the sop noticed that the other side was loose and also getting ready to fall off... There should be a recall on this, it happens way too much and really no need or it as much as you pay for a car!! RIDICULOUS!!

- nsoltis, Vanderbilt, US

Mar 092017

windshield trim flies off

The window trim on my 2013 Ford Explorer flew off during my drive home from work today. Just noticed it as I got out of the car at home. Looks like CRAP now. So, I'll be shopping around for the replacement tonight after I get off from my 2nd job.

- Scott K., Oak Lawn, IL, US

Jun 012016

Explorer XLT 6-3.5L

Crappy design if the part will just fly off while driving. Shame on Ford---should be covered on recall

- lauren0424, Richmond, TX, USA

Feb 102017

Explorer XLT 6-3.5L

First in June the left flew off. Now, the right hand side has flew off while driving. Very bad design if parts are just flying off of vehicle while driving.

- lauren0424, Richmond, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Explorer XLT V6

windshield trim flies off

I drove through a touchless car wash and when exiting through the blower that dries the car off, the right front windshield trim (A pillar) blew right off. No prior damage or issue of any kind. The cheap plastic screws/bolts were all broken. Dealer estimates $600 and says they see it all the time and that it is ridiculous - cheaply made and inexcusable. Have to fix it because not only does it look awful, but it makes a loud vibrating noise once I reach 30 mph. Very annoying!

I'm extremely disappointed. We have owned 3 Explorers and 2 Expeditions and have always had great luck before now.

- Carol S., Alpharetta, GA, USA