Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

Nov 292012

F-150 8-cyl

The #3 plug on the passenger side towards the rear blew out of the engine. The engine has never had the plugs replaced. I purchased the truck new from Ford in April 2002. The truck has the Ford 5.4 Triton. The plug has all of its threads the head has no threads. The coil was also damaged when the plug blew out of the head.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Jun 042012

F-150 8-cyl

A spark plug worked loose from the head and blew out causing damage to the head and the ignition coil. All 8 plugs had to be replaced, two damaged spark plug holes repaired and two ignition coils replaced.

- Hortonville, WI, USA

Jul 272012

F-150 8-cyl

Exhaust clamp that holds exhaust damper or counter weight fell off ( because of rusted exhaust clamp ) while driving at 50 miles per hour. Its quite heavy and was bouncing on road behind me almost hitting motorcycle following me. I found my exhaust damper on side of road, if needed for investigation.

- Staint Paul, MN, USA

Aug 172011

F-150 8-cyl

On start up a sparkplug blew out of cylinder head.... 3rd plug to bow out in 8 months over $800 per plug to fix then caught on fire under hood......very dangerous to have happen may cause our house to burn down if in garage.... I called Ford 4 times no help what so ever.....bad company.....do not advise......bad Ford products....they need to do a class action on Ford.....

- Quincy, CA, USA

Jun 112012

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact was traveling 45 mph when a popping noise emitted from under the hood and the vehicle decelerated abnormally. The check engine light illuminated after the failure. The contact stated that a private mechanic confirmed that the passenger side coil for a spark plug became detached. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 98,791.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 072012

F-150 8-cyl

I was driving my vehicle when I heard an explosion-type sound, similar to that of a gunshot. The sound startled me and caused me to veer off the road crashing into a bush on someone's front lawn. I re-started the vehicle and heard a very loud and rapid "popping" sound from underneath the hood, which became worse as I accelerated. The vehicle was also shaking violently as I attempted to drive home, which was only 1 mile away from where the incident occurred. When I arrived home I inspected the engine compartment and immediately noticed that the 2nd spark plug in on the driver's side of the engine (#6 cylinder) was blown completely out of the engine head. I contacted my local Ford dealer the next morning and was told to have the vehicle towed to their service department. Shortly after arriving, I was informed that "blown spark plugs" are a very common issue with the Ford Triton 4.6 and 5.4 litre engines. I was advised that the spark plug hole would have to be re-tapped and a heli-coil kit installed. This work was performed on 06/08/2012 with a total cost to me of $449.81, not including the cost of the tow. I was advised by the dealer's service department that Ford had issued the first of several tsb's (technical safety bulletins) to all of it's service departments across the us in March of 2006 informing their technicians of the defect in the engine's aluminum head and the increasing frequency of this "blown spark plug" issue. Included in this tsb were instructions on how to repair by using a heli-coil, which is not a Ford part, not covered under any warranty and not guaranteed to stay in place. A recall needs to be issued. Please see the link; I am one of thousands who have experienced this issue and I feel that those of us who have incurred unnecessary costs due to Ford's defect should be made whole. www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html.

- East Haven, CT, USA

May 142012

F-150 6-cyl

Started to hear exhaust noise from engine compartment on my 2002 Ford F150 XLT Triton V8 4.6L with only 95412 miles found that bolts that hold the exhaust manifold were broke and others near breaking at cylinder head there is a danger of fire in engine compartment due to hot exhaust gases and safety issue repair expensive having to remove bolt studs from engine head without doing damage to engine head that are so rusted in.

- Hazel Green, WI, USA

May 282012

F-150 8-cyl

Driving on highway 30 mph and #3 spark plug blew out.

- Mineral Wells, TX, USA