Jun 152018

F-150

My 2004 F-150 shift cable broke as I attempted to put it in park. This rendered the vehicle unable to be put in park and it rolled backwards. The reason it broke was because of it resting against the bottom of the exhaust manifold where it joins to the wye pipe on the driver side. It burnt the cable causing it to break. The next model year in 2005 this was changed as Ford redesigned and relocated it to exit in a completely spot. The hole that it exits thru in 2004 is plugged off in the 2005 model. It would seem that this was done due to multiple instances of warranty claims and possible lawsuits arrising from this dangerous design.

- Oxford, NJ, USA

Apr 012018

F-150

Horrible vibration in rear end of truck when leaving from a stop and turning.

- Stronghurst, IL, USA

Jan 202018

F-150

2004 Ford F-150 stops pulling after 35-40mph. It's like it gets put into neutral. This is really dangerous! this can cause a major accident. And to think that I trusted Ford with my life, my wife's life, and 3 small children's lives is sickening. There is more instances of this same problem than you can count. I don┐T get it! Ford knows it's a problem but won┐T fix it. NHTSA won┐T do an investigation. The U.S. loves to make the working make carry the load! fix the problem Ford or I and others will never buy your garbage again!

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Sep 272010

F-150

Truck died, lost all power while driving down the road. This has happened 5 - 6 times through the years starting around 2010. Sometimes driving down freeway sometimes driving slowly into driveway. Battery was checked, it was okay and connected fine. Various other engine problems later include a rattle noise and low RPM. Running hot, chugging along like running out of gas, etc. Having to pull over till it could go again. Currently just a little over 100,000 miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032016

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the steering shaft locked up several times. In addition, the oem part for the shifter cable was black and now it was plastic with a coated metal. The contact was uncertain if the change of the oem part was structurally sound because the shift cable had to be replaced more than once. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no solution. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 211,240.

- Spokane, WA, USA

May 042017

F-150

The whole vehicle vibrates and shudders at highway speed with now warning. It now feels as if the rear axle in moving, give an odd sensation when applying the gas pedal or taking your foot off the gas pedal. I am a technician by trade, so I put the truck up on the lift at my shop and have noticed the pinion in the rear differential has significant up and down movement. After researching a bit, it seems the pinion and ring gear gall themselves, I'm not sure if the pinion bearing failed causing this. Or if the ring and pinion failed causing the bearing to fail. At any rate there seems to be a lot of individuals with my experience, a quick search online may provide a scope of the issue.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 292016

Takata recall.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Mar 202017

F-150

With my foot on the brake, I put the truck in reverse to begin backing out of a driveway. I applied a little gas to slowly backup around the turn in the drive. As I was rolling backwards, I had my foot on the brake because I was navigating past other parked vehicles. As I was clearing one of the vehicles, the truck suddenly jolted backwards hitting a tree. So then, with my foot on the brake, I put the truck in drive so that I could pull forward away from the tree. As I began to press on the gas pedal and the truck instantly thrust forward, hitting another tree, stopping the truck & knocking the tree over. It happened with such power that the wheels spun down into the mulch bed before I was able to brake, put the truck into park and remove the keys to turn it off. While the damage on the back bumper was minimal, the damage to the front of the truck was extensive & the insurance company declared the truck a total loss. There was one other time, while on the local highway at a stoplight, with my foot on the brake, that the truck began to thrust forward on its' own. After it first rocked forward, I pressed the brake all the way to the floor which prevented it from actually moving forward any more. Once the light turned green, the truck seemed to return to normal functioning. This incident occurred around the time I was due for a tune-up so I figured it was a fluke and would have been resolved with the tune up.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Mar 262017

F-150

Driving along and suddenly the engine reved and the transmission was no engaged. I pulled off the highway and turned the engine off and started again with no problem. Since then, my transmission has quit while driving several times. I did discover if I turned the od odd it would work but has no overdrive. Fortinately, I was able to pull over and not have an accident. This is a dangerous issue and needs to be addressed by Ford with a recall and repair.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Jun 012014

F-150

I own a 2004 F-150 with 120,000 miles. When I am stopped and start to turn the rear end makes a horrible shaking noise. I have owned this truck for 40,000 miles and it has always had this broblem. If Ford company slogan is built tough then this types of problems should be recalled. It seems majority of 2004 owners are having the same problem

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jan 242017

F-150

80, 000 miles on the truck, and it now needs its rear differential replaced for the 6th time. On top of that, now the cam phasers are going bad. Can't drive it now again as it may leave me stranded in an intersection again. I drive 7 miles each way to work, and occasionally use the truck for vacations.

- Spotswood, NJ, USA

Oct 312016

F-150 8-cyl

My truck gets up to about 50 mph then acts like it goes into neutral, no power to the back wheels. I've noticed that more than a few 2004 F-150 owners have the same complaint. Has any investigation been done and if so what were the findings. I live on disability social security and can't afford to have a transmission repaired.I was on a paved road at the time.

- Scurry, TX, USA

Jul 072016

F-150

Takata recall : truck is slipping in forward gears and the reverse will not move even if U you rev it up it's like it's in neutral. All this happened when I was leaving work to go home

- Dededo, GU, USA

Aug 152006

F-150

Grinding in rear axle assembly, differential needs rebuild,57K...

- Northville, MI, USA

Aug 012016

F-150

Unknown. Major popping in rear end while turning. When truck is in park I can roll it back and forth a good 10 inches in both directions.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 082015

F-150

Vibration at 45 to 55. When cold strong jerk in rear end area and sometimes on turn to right. Also comes in at times when going to passing gear. It is a differential issue more than a drive shaft issue. All U joints are tight. No imbalance in drive shaft. Have gone to special teflon gear oil... this appears to be design and possible safety issue.

- Powell, TN, USA

Mar 052016

F-150

112,000 and sent the truck in for a humming noise. The whole rear end needed to be replaced. The truck has had only highway driving with no off roading. Differential oil replaced every year.

- Hollis Center, ME, USA

Jan 142014

• 1,000,000 miles
Took truck to get tune up but was told I couldn't get warranty to help pay for service badly needed and due to that I lost work and was almost homeless but ended up getting help from my mother for tires that took 5 days and was a big headake at wallmart but that's another thing.its a long story but I'm doing my best to have a decent running truck that I can rely on to keep jobs.I just want it fixed so I had to become a mechanic just to find out there is a recall on theses motercraft 515 spark plugs and would like help to get copinsation and have repairs that is needs attion asap.long story short I love my Ford truck and learned a lot along the way please help.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Dec 262015

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. After exiting the vehicle with the transmission in park, the vehicle suddenly began to drive in reverse. The contact was able to get back inside to stop the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact discovered that the shift lever became disconnected. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Leland, NC, USA

Mar 142015

F-150

Within a few weeks of purchasing my vehicle in February after pulling into a parking lot the check engine light came on. I also noticed it was making a ticking noise like a diesel engine but it's not a diesel. I went to get the codes and found it was a retarded variable valve timing issue code P0022. I looked online and went to multiple shops and mechanics to figure out the problem. After paying to replace the vct solenoids it was apparent that that was not the issue causing the timing problem. For weeks I noticed the truck shaking and at one point it actually stalled as I was pulling out of a parking lot into a busy road and it stalled as I was going into the road which caused the on coming traffic to slow and stop to avoid hitting me in the middle of the road. After spending weeks in the dealership service shop and a large sum of money they found they needed to replace the engine entirely. I have witnessed this issue happening to many many others online and in person who have the same year range with the 5.4L 3 valve Triton engines. This is absolutely unacceptable for so many vehicle to have the same issue especially when it has under 100,000 miles. It is not only very poor quality for such a large price but also a safety hazard to the owner and others around these vehicles.

- Boise, ID, USA