3.6

Jan 012009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that there was a recurring failure of the hub and calipers as well as the front and rear axle sporadically becoming fractured. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 79,000.

- North Versailles , PA, USA

Oct 052013

F-150 8-cyl

On preparing to change the brake pads, I noticed the front left coil spring has snapped. After checking on line and my local Ford dealership, it seems this is not uncommon on 2004 Ford F150 vehicles, and it indicates that Ford is not prepared to assist customers, even though they realize this is a manufacturing defect. Photograph available if needed. The Ford dealership advises they need to replace both front road springs at a cost of $575, but the shock absorbers might need replacing also which would be additional monies. A broken road spring on the front can severely effect the handling and safety of the driver and others on the road, and I believe Ford should do something about it.

- Budd Lake, NJ, USA

Nov 042004

F-150

Vehicle's back window leak noted within 60 days after purchase, resealed by dealer X2-still leaks. Within a period of one year after purchase, three of the four window gear boxes were replaced due to failure. I've noted several complaints about these issues, met other owners who have had these issues fixed under warranty, yet we were required to pay for repair. At highway speeds, 65mph, the vehicle begins to shimmy, vibrate and becomes difficult to maintain control of steering. Vibration makes ride unpleasant and noisy.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Jul 292013

F-150

Brought truck in for service due to hit pulling to the right and seemed to be sitting low. When the dealership removed front wheels it was discovered the both front coil springs had been broken. Both springs were broken diagonal at the base where it sits in the strut. Was told that the springs needed to be replaced in order for a proper alignment to be completed. Further research online shows that this is a very common issue in the Ford F-150. Truck has never been taken off road or driven hard. Truck is taken well care of.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Apr 022013

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being service for regular maintenance, the dealer diagnosed that the rear axle needed to be replaced due to a design flaw. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,938.

- Gladstone , MO, USA

Dec 302006

F-150 8-cyl

Driving on the interstate @ 55mph the truck has a vibration -begins to shake- returned to dealer no problem found, this story goes on and on I have replaced out of my pocket rotors, calibers two whole set of tires and still to this day is still will shake @ and around 52 mph to 57 mph nobody will help me find the problem now it is out of warranty Ford doesn't care.

- Delaware, OH, USA

May 012012

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 42 mph, the contact noticed the front end of the vehicle began to shake abnormally. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the front coil springs were fractured. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Sullivan, MO, USA

Dec 012011

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle was having unrelated repairs performed by an authorized dealer, when the dealer stated that the front end could not be aligned properly because the ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 24,500. The VIN was not available.

- Lehigh, FL, USA

Jan 312012

F-150 8-cyl

While my truck was being serviced, it was brought to my attention that I had a broken front passenger side coil spring. Their was a 2 inch piece of coil spring hanging on by the plastic covering of the spring. The piece was corroded, which tells me that it had been broken for some time. I have noticed online that this is not a uncommon occurrence.

- Prospect, ME, USA

Jun 102008

F-150 8-cyl

I'm driving my truck when all of a sudden it will start vibrating horribly, like driving over a washboard type of road. The only way to get it to stop is to pull over to the side of the highway, put it in park, wait, and then try to resume driving. But this does not always work. You sometimes have to stop and change to park, or reverse, a couple of times, before driving again so that the vibration goes away. I have complained about this before, and I see hundreds of complaints for the same issue on "Ford owner websites", and everybody is pissed. Nobody can get an answer from Ford service as to what is wrong. Many people have replaced many different things (I.e. transmission, clutch pads, bearings, U-joints, emergency brake cable or pads), all to no avail. They have wasted their time and money, and Ford refuses to live up to this awful and very dangerous problem. Apparently, Ford knows this is a big problem with 2004 F-150 trucks, especially, but will not acknowledge it. Someone wrote on the web that Ford knows they had a retooling problem with these trucks, and let the trucks go out for sale anyway. I am now having this problem more often, and I am afraid to drive it. I do not have any money to fix my truck, since our economy is so bad and have been unemployed for years. Make Ford take ownership of this recall problem!

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 202011

F-150 8-cyl

During acceleration there is a severe vibration and shaking. It also happens when driving down the road. The shaking is so bad that you almost lose control of the vehicle.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

May 302011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2004 Ford F150 supercrew starts shaking horribly at highway speeds when pulling a travel trailer. It doesn't matter if you slow down, speed up, or take out of gear the only way to make it quit is to come to a complete stop. This has happened 3 times to me so far and it feels as if all the wheels are about to fall off. I called my dealer and they said that they haven't heard of this problem, but if you do a search on it there is a lot of people concerned of this dangerous issue. Luckily I haven't been on an interstate with my travel trailer because I would believe that this could cause me to possibly lose control at those kind of speeds.

- Tell City, IN, USA

Oct 172010

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. During routine maintenance the mechanic noticed that the left lower control A-frame was cracked. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer where they confirmed that the lower control arm was cracked and they could not tell if it was only cracked on the side. They informed her that she would be responsible for the repair since there was no warranty or related recall. The manufacturer was notified and informed her there was nothing they could do since the warranty had expired. The failure mileage was 23,650. Updated 02/09/11 the consumer stated Ford finally agreed to help pay for the repairs. Updated 05/06/11

- Corficana, TX, USA

Oct 182004

F-150

I have a 2004 Ford F150 that has had a terrible vibration and shaking problem to the point that the windshield wipers jump up and down everytime I have said anything to the dealership they say they dont what it is and they haven't heard of anything like this and even the last time I told them it was like something was seizing up we went online and started investigating the problem and found that all kinds of people are having the same problem and alot of them seem to think it is in the emergency brake system there is two metal parts that rust together and wont let it work is there anything I can do about this to get Ford to replace it even though it is 5 yrs old because this is very dangerous last winter I was driving in snow and the back end slid around on me and this was caused by the brake trying to seize up.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Oct 232007

F-150

2004 Ford F-150... truck starts to shake horribly when accelerating. The problem is random (once every 2-3 days?), but only stop S after the car comes to a complete stop. Most of the time the problem arise when accelerating on the interstate. It feels like driving over a washboard, which is very unnerving when traveling at 60 mph. I have repeatedly had to pull of the interstate, stop completely (maybe twice), before the issue is resolved. The issue has not yet been diagnosed by the dealer. Other people say it has to do with the rear differential, but not sure yet, since it has not been repaired. No injuries yet, but the problem seems very unsafe and widespread. Problem started in October 2007, and has progressively gotten worse.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Dec 012005

F-150

Since purchase the F150 has had terrible shaking in the front at 55-60 mph. Repeated attempts to fix have been negative. Dealers, repair shops have failed. Replaced all four tires, repeated balancing have not helped.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jun 202004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased my Ford F-150 as a demo in 2004. The truck has been back to the dealership at least 5 times for a vibration over 60 miles/hr. The truck now has just over 46,000 miles and I just put the 4th set of tires on the truck. The dealership states there is nothing they can do. I have read many online forums about the same complaints with this Ford truck. Two weeks ago I spent over $1000 dollars on tires and alignment, the vibration is still present. My next step is to file for the lemon law.

- Connellsville, PA, USA

Oct 122005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

At least once a week our truck will go in to a violent shaking episode. The majority of the time it rides beautifully. There doesn't seem to be a pattern other than it begins after the truck has been parked and started to be driven again. It feels as if the wheels are falling off literally. It seems to be suspension related but sets off no engine light or warnings. Usually if my wife or I stop the truck, place it in park, shut the truck off, the problem will stop. It is such a violent shaking that the vehicle can not be driven and must be pulled off the road. Here in amish country not all roads have emergency lanes and this has put us in some dangerous predicament. Had the truck in to one dealer who could not replicate the problem. I have an appointment next week at another dealer for the same issue. I normally carry no load and no towing has been done with this truck to date.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Jun 152004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Every time you reach the speed between 65- 70 mph the vehicle / steering wheel shakes as if the tires are not balanced. I had them balanced 3 times already and it still does the same. Rear end of vehicle throws to L/R when going over bumps. I've test driven other makes and there isn't a problem going over the same bumps.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jul 202005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Intermitent shaking of vehicle while driving at any speed and only stops shaking when vehicle is brought to a complete stop. No warning that truck will start shaking. Brought truck to dealer three times and dealer could not replicate shaking, says nothing is wrong, refuses to take any action. Service bulletin advises addition of rear suspension damper but could not be installed due to interference with dealer installed trailer hitch. Dealer is refusing to replace existing trailer hitch with another trailer hitch that would allow installation of damper.

- Elkton, MD, USA