7.9

$4,288.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace defective cam phaser before it blows out motor (15 reports)
  3. replace engine (15 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-150:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jan 272016

F-150 FX4 5.4L Trinitron

I bought this 2005 F150 new in 2005. At 62,000 miles I had to replace the transmission! Today, with 105,000 miles my mechanic gave me the news that I now need a new engine at $7000!!! For 10 years I had the truck serviced at the recommended intervals and used the OEM parts. It first started ticking, then knocking, and now the plastic cam phasers fell apart, the timing chain is broke and little plastic segments are all throughout my engine. I called Ford Motor Co and filed a complaint and was told there is no recall and no warranty. After reading all these similar complaints, it seems like it would be foolish to replace the engine with the same defective engine and have it happen all over again somewhere down the road. I will never buy another Ford product in my life! They don't stand behind their failures at all. Now I have a $15,000 piece of junk!

Update from Jan 28, 2016: Until all of us who have experienced this issue have filed a formal complaint on the National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA) website......Ford will not step up and do anything. They will not respond to this or any internet complaint site.....only if we complain formally on NHTSA in mass, will Ford ever be forced to address the issues. So go file a complaint on NHTSA.

Update from Feb 29, 2016: I just had my truck "fixed" at a Ford dealership. It's now back to the dealership for the 3rd time in a week to get it fixed right! My truck had two major know issues; stuck fuel injectors which blew out the catalytic converters & timing chain/cam phasers. The fuel injector/cat conv. issue was covered under the FMC extended warranty $4500 of work. The timing/phaser issue was on my dime $3600. Still have knocking noise. Headed back to dealership with it.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 092015

F-150 STX 4.6L V8

Trucks ticks very loud and engine shakes truck when idling. It ticks and sounds just like the problem with the 5.4L V8 but when I called ford they said the 4.6L V8 doesn't have that problem, yet here I am with the problem. I can't get it fixed under warranty because it isn't a part of a recall and isn't broken yet, so I just have to deal with it until it actually breaks so it can be replaced under warranty. I'm pretty sure they're just saying that so that it gets pushed back till after the warranty ends so that they make money off me for the fix.

It will also make a hissing sound like water hitting a hot surface when going up an incline on the highway especially while towing. Worries me that it might just freaking blow up soon or something. Just can't wait to get rid or this truck in a few months, worst buy decision I've ever made.

- , South Jordan, UT, USA

Nov 032013

F-150 FX4 5.4L

loud sounds like a diesel. common problem cam phazers 2004-. dont buy ford

- , Leduc, AB, Canada

Jun 162012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Bought my 05 F150 5.4l and the Ford dealership said that it has a stumble due to them washing the engine. I took it back after a week and they said would change the oil if I wanted, but the small stumble and ticking sound was normal. Two years later, it all of a sudden started shaking and knocking but only did it a few times. Now 140,000 miles and several coil packs with no engine light and injector flushes later, I need a motor, and is not drivable due to stumble and sound from the front of my motor. I was told by my mechanic it is the timing chain but he said it is not worth fixing. It took out my top end. Very upset and heart broken over my loss.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 152014

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton 3 valve

I bought my 2005 F150 in August of 2013. 10,000 miles later I started to hear a loud ticking, it eventually got louder and sounded like a diesel. My mechanic changed the cam phasers, then the 2 piece plugs broke during removal, then the individual coils went bad, now the timing chain is slapping and the engine is knocking. I did oil changes by the book and used Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend and the ford oil filter from the dealer as they recommend. I bought this truck from a ford dealer used car lot, now I find out the service dept did something in order to quiet it to sell it. I could never recommend ford after this to my fellow air force vets. Can anyone give me the name of the place in Tucson where I can get a reman 5.4 for 1,800 dollars. Thanks

- , Romeoville, IL, USA

Dec 242014

F-150 LX 5.4L

I just purchased a 2005 F150, in nice shape with 116,000 miles. The lifters are tapping, like they are not getting oil to them! As I look to online blogs, it seems like everyone is complaining about the same issue.. I can't believe that FORD, don't have a "RECALL" on this!! I work at the University of Alabama and know a law professor. I am going to see if he knows someone, who may start a class action lawsuit!

- , Cottondale, AL, USA

Aug 052014

F-150 FX4 5.4L Triton

click to see larger images

loud ticking/knocking noise from motor

Had to use a Chevy to tow the Ford. You know what car I'll buy next.

- , Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 142014

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

I purchased an F-150 fx5 with the 5.4 Triton motor.2005 year. The truck does run great but it sounds a little like a diesel. It's kind of annoying,and It just makes me worry!I invested a good deal of $$ in extras on this truck, it is very nice,and actually runs excellent so far.

I have put about 6,000 miles on it,and it still sounds the same. Rattles a little at startup, like the oil isn't getting circulated, but it's only for a second. With all I have seen about the spark plug issues,and the noise being tied to the cam phasers I'm quite concerned I'm gonna have a problem. The truck looks great, has plenty of power, and like I said runs great, but 80% of the time it makes a noise like a diesel. People say, oh, sounds like your lifters are going out, and that's embarrassing. I try to explain that's just how it sounds, which I have heard some say that, but it doesn't seem right to me after seeing all that has been said about it on various sites online!

Ford should really honor their quality commitment and fix the problem on these 2005 Tritons! I really like the truck but I am just worried I may have a major issue and I am actually poor, I was able to buy it because a friend helped me out to get me something dependable. And my Ranger was so damned good I thought I would get another Ford truck and I needed something with more room. I am disabled and I will not be able to afford the cost and I shouldn't have to if something like this goes wrong since from all I have read it is an obvious design flaw that Ford doesn't want to acknowledge because that may cost them to fix! They can afford it, I cant! I just hope I don't end up screwed! It's still running great now but I have this constant anxiety of whether or not I'm gonna have a catastrophic failure!

- , Carbondale, KS, USA

Apr 012005

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8

Well it still ticks. this truck needs to be recalled for motor and exhaust system.

- , Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Sep 022013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I purchased the truck with an extended 3 year warranty that is supposed to cover the power train but the Ford warranty people, after the truck sitting in the local Ford shop for two months, said that they would not honor their contract with me to fix the motor because something went wrong with the motor. As I understand it it was a phase something or the other. From what I have read this is a problem with this motor and they seem to already know this. My local Ford store is not to blame for anything, they have told the Ford people that I have had the truck serviced at all service scheduled times and I haven't abused the truck in anyway. I have only put less than 14,000 miles on the truck since I have had it.

My first Ford was a 1953 flathead 8 cylinder and I have been a Ford man ever since with no problems with any of them. I have had several f-150's The local Ford store has tried to help me with this problem, I have no complaints with them. If Ford doesn't honor their contract with me on this I will not spend one more penny on any Ford product. This is the first step in making my grievances known. FB, BBB, local news stations etc. Thank you carcomplaints .com.

- , Banner Elk, NC, USA

Feb 012012

F-150 XL 5.4L

Wow, Ford 5.4 motors should be recalled completely. Cam Phaser problems on every one they built.

I am a Ford guy since birth but thinking change may be good.

- , Burdett, NY, USA

Mar 262012

F-150 XLT Crew Cab 5.4L 3v V8 Triton

I am owner of 05 F150 for two years, I am mechanic automotive Chevrolet and Ford. I bought a 2005 Ford Crew Cab at 169,000 miles two years ago, same day unfortunately that my truck's 5.4L engine ran awful, shakes, knocked, and rattling. Then I replaced new timing chains, tensioners, cam sensors, and VCT solenoids at 171,646 miles for $2,070. So I used Ford Motorcraft 5W20/ Oil Filter Motorcraft that my 5.4L 3V is required specific type of engine oil. At 175,400 miles, the engine was rough/shake, rattling noise so I had it run like that for a long time until 8 months later, at 196,200 miles, the engine is completely damaged; failure of, crank bearings, timing chains, adjuster lifters, and cam phaser were failures for no reason.

I purchased brand new 5.4L 3V zero mile for $1,790 completed long block 100,000 miles or 3 years warranty in Tucson, AZ very lowest price ever instead of $5,000. I installed new 5.4L 3V into my truck and reprogram my new PCM for $1,600, after everything had finished connected altogether into the truck, I turned it over and ran sound as normal, no ticks, and I will use MC Ford 5w20/ MC Ford oil filter on my 5.4L ALWAYS. I was upset that Ford did not recall this 5.4L, designed is poor, caused spark plug and cam phaser issue. Also I have spent $5,000 for new engine, parts and PCM

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 152013

F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.4L V8

It is absolutely unfair that a $36,000 truck would need $4,500 worth of engine work after 75,105 miles. The truck was always serviced at the Ford dealership. Always had all it's oil changes and routine maintenance done and kept up to date. This totally irresponsible for Ford not to cover the the cost of these repairs and stand behind the quality of their product. This is absolutely reprehensible.

- , Rumford, RI, USA

Mar 062007

F-150 King Ranch 5.4L V8

Engine sounds like a diesel, definitely annoying me. I had asked the dealership multiple times to fix it and they said its normal and even showed me a statement from Ford saying its normal do not try to repair. If I had known this would happen and is "normal" I wouldn't have buy the truck in the first place.

- , milton, Ontario, canada

May 192011

F-150 5.4L

My son purchased the 2005 F150 as his first vehicle, it was very nice looking and he was very excited about it. After just a few weeks he noticed a loud ticking noise in the engine. We took it to the Ford Dealership and were told about the problem with this engine and the cam phasers. Needless to say that less than 30 days from purchasing the vehicle he put $1500 into it for the cam phaser replacement. After that the noise came back within the next month, I had read about the problem on the internet and that some people had been able to just keep driving it but you just ignored the sound.

Over the next year he has barely driven it has put less that 5000 miles on it because he works out of state. The other day he began losing power and this time when we took it in they say his motor is shot and he needs a new one and they don't know why, they are trying to pull the oil change thing on him to to avoid the real reason this is happening and that is that Ford has put out a lemon and is not accepting any responsibility for it.

They have discontinued this motor which just goes to show that they have no confidence in it either and I would be happy to join in on any class action suit to get some help on replacing the motor. As for now it will sit and he will continue to make the payments until he can afford to replace the motor and get rid of it. We will never buy another Ford, Too bad, we thought we were Ford people, but never again. Too bad they can't back up their own product.

- , Riverton, UT, USA

Feb 022013

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I have the common ticking, knocking, and sounding like a diesel only when the motor is very cold so far. I have contacted the dealer I purchased it from. They know I am a maintenance technician, just not on vehicles. We discussed what has happened. They want to look at it for an hour, instead I contacted my mechanic friend who I trust. He tells me its the failing solenoids and phase adjusters, all caused by a main bearing failing and causing low oil pressure which has numerous other culprits on this type of motor. The metal flakes and such from the failing main bearing make their way to the right side valve trane, causing the issues I described above. This is why these engines are being replaced in the 75-over 100k miles. The dealer did admit there is a problem, Ford engineers are aware of it, but there is no compensation. I was advised by he dealer to use only Ford parts as these are going to be the latest and greatest for these issues. Also the most expensive!

- , Northfield, MN, USA

Jan 302007

F-150 5.4L V8

Wow 2005 F150 what else can go wrong with this pretty truck ? Lol I have replaced coil over plugs twice over replaced rear end gears, computer, new engine, transmission, now they say with new motor.cam phasers.well ford tuff has made me tuff lol i never give up...just wish I knew about problems with this engine,,,waiting for recall...I have always been a ford man...but like all owners on the problem engine are looking else where for good hard working trucks...like we are

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 022012

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I am a college student, I bought my 05 Ford F150 4x4 Crew Cab a year ago because I am an intern at a steel company and need to be able to drive in bad weather and slight off road conditions. I drive 45min (one way to work), the very same day I bought my used f150 was the same day the cam phaser knock occurred. After reading all the forums HOW CAN FORD IGNORE THIS? Yeah in my case it was a used truck, but think of the hard working people being screwed over on an obvious defect! Dealer wants $1500 just to "TRY TO FIX IT", $7500 to replace with a re-manufactured engine.

My message to Ford:

FORD I HOPE YOU SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT IF MY TRUCK ENGINE FAILS I WILL BE UNABLE TO PAY MY BILLS! F*** YOU!!!

- , Hurricane, WV, USA

Aug 202012

F-150 5.4L

Husband has a 2005 f 150 with the piece of crap triton engine! So I am laying in bed and he left to take our kids to school well I wake up and hear beep beep beep! I knew what had happened, that piece of a crap truck broke down! We took it to the dealership he bought it from and they said cam shaft sensors and that ford says its a wear part! That's just stupid when something cost $1500.00 to repair that's no wear part!! I have a ford 1998 mustang a 2000 mercury mountaineer, my husband had a ranger and a fx4 f150, my father in law has a f150! We are done with ford completely if I could drive that crap to the plant I think I would ram the entire building! Called ford today and they said they have numerous complaints about this model and year and for us to save receipts for any repairs and if they issue a recall they will reimburse us! I don't have that kind of money to play with!! So you know what ford kiss my southern tail!! I will not stop until you do something!! I will call your customer service people everyday until you do something!!

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jul 132012

F-150 XLT 5.6L

Have taken very good care of this truck, Oil Changes, used Ford products, regular maintenance, and all of a sudden this ticking sounds shows up in the engine and I hear that it is common on these motors. Now I hear that the fix could range form $1500.00 to $3000.00. I have 3 Fords in my life and all 3 have turned out to have issues that ford would not fix. Enough for me, when this truck goes, I'm back in a Chevy. I'll have to eat crow, because I swore when they got bailed out by Obama, I said I would never go back. Maybe Toyota next time????

- , Valdosta, GA, USA