9.6

$940

Most common solutions:

1. replace master cylinder and brake booster (5 reports)
  3. replace master cylinder (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford F-150:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jul 052019

F-150 Lariat 3.5L Eco Boost

Driving my 2015 F150 to work and the low brake fluid warning light comes on. Tried the brakes and the pedal felt spongy. About 1/2 mile later, tried the brakes again and nothing, pedal goes to the floor, no stopping power at all! Coasted to a stop and checked brake fluid. Fluid was gone. No signs of leakage anywhere.

Five minutes on google and I discover Ford has recalled 271,000, 2013 and 2014 F150's for brake master cylinder failure. After the master cylinder fails, all the brake fluid gets sucked into the brake booster and disables the entire brake system. Master cylinder and booster have to be replaced to correct the defective master cylinder failure.

Called Ford dealership and Ford Customer service thinking surely they will cover this based on 271,000 2013 and 2014 F150's having the same failure. No, the 2015 F150's are not covered. Not cool, not right Ford.

New master cylinder and booster are $250 online. Not paying dealership $1000+. Looks like I will be wrenching in the driveway. Thankfully I didn't crash and no one was hurt.

- Rob L., Tucson, AZ, US

Jul 132019

F-150 LS 3.2L V6

Took my truck to Home Depot in Rock Springs, WY. While heading there the emergency brake light came on. A few seconds later the low brake fluid come on as well. While parking at home depot, notice the brakes where not working properly. Open up the hood, notice the brake fluid was low. Went to the nearest gas station, bought brake fluid and filled it up. While heading home to Green River, same issue occurred. Open the hood again and notice brake fluid was low. Called the dealership, he recommend me to bring it in. When I called the service department to see what it was wrong, she told me the mechanic said the brake fluid was low. I told her what I encountered that day with the truck. At first she said it was a recall on this. But, she proceeded to call me back and told me there was no recall on this. I have to pay for it. This is very big problem, it's a safety issue. If my wife was driving it or someone else, I have no idea what might have happened. Ford needs to take a really good look at this!

- Jason B., Green River, US

Jul 052019

F-150 Lariat 3.5L

Between the number of reports and hearing this was a problem in the 2013 2014 models, I can’t believe there has not been a recall issue by Ford!!! How many people have to get killed or hurt before that happens??!!

- Robert R., Broomfield, US

May 242019

F-150 Lariat 3.5L V6 Ecoboost

Driving about 30mph when warning light on dashboard indicated low brake fluid. When I pulled over and went to stop brake pedal went to the floor added brake fluid but no help. When the tow truck driver drove it on to his flat bed thick white smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe. Tow to the ford dealership and was told brake master cylinder and vacuum pump had to be replaced. Also brake fluid was sucked into the fuel system which then had to be decontaminated 1800.00 dollars later it’s back on the road. Then reading on the internet Ford has known about this serious problem and basically pretends it’s not happening enough for them to recall their trucks before someone is going 70 and then finds out they have no bricks is mind boggling. What the F...

- Greg H., Fort Myers, US

May 292019

F-150 XLT 3.5L V6 Turbo

My truck suddenly had total brake failure.The low brake fluid light came on as it was happening. Fortunately, no one was hurt. This situation occurred due to a faulty master cylinder seal. The dealership replaced the cylinder and booster. They gave me assurances that they replaced a 'different' cylinder due to the defect they were seeing. My question and concern is why this isn't listed as a recall??? This could have been disastrous if I had been towing my camper the day before. The dealership admitted it was a problem. Thank God I'm alive to bring this to anyone's attention that has a 2015 Ford 150. How many have died or will die before they recall it??

- ch24, Winter Haven, US

Jun 052019

F-150 Lariat 3.5L

My husband and I were driving and the alert light came on indicating low brake fluid. The brakes started making a noise and became spongy with very little pedal. Within a mile we got to an auto parts place and put in one bottle of fluid. At this time the line on the brake fluid was below min. This got it back to almost to max. He pumped the brakes and they were much better. Got stuck in traffic for a few minutes and had driven back towards home about 2 miles and the light came on again and the brakes began to make that noise again with very little pedal. Drove a few miles until coming to a store again and put another bottle in which got us to a Ford dealership before they closed. They are going to check it this morning and let us know. They think it is the master cylinder leaking into the booster since there is no visual sign of a leak. My husband bought this truck barely two months ago from a Ford dealer. We haven't driven it 2000 miles. He purchased an extended warranty on the power train but it of course doesn't cover this. Also the recall I have read about on earlier models for this same issue does not apply to 2015's. So Ford knows this is a problem but doesn't care??

- Susan B., Brandon, MS, US

Nov 242018

F-150

Ford has known about this problem, but has not changed the part to fix the problem. It has been recalled in some, but not all, vehicles affected. We recently bought a used F50 (our first one to own!) We are happy with the truck, but not happy that this problem could lead to sudden total brake failure! Our 18 year-old drives this truck!

- Janelle J., Amarillo, TX, US

Jun 202018

F-150 XLT 3.5L

Ford has a major problem w/their 2015 braking system and needs to figure it out. One issue that may injure or kill someone.

- Mike J., fisherville, KY, US

Aug 102018

F-150 Lariat 3.5L V6

My wife was driving the truck on local street doing about 20 to 25 mph. About 200 feet from the intersection the light ahead turned red. The car in front came to a stop. When she started to apply the brakes, the pedal went to the floor and the truck would not stop and crashed into the car that was stopped at the light. She is totally nervous and refuses to drive the truck. Turned the truck in for body repair today, had a rent a car until fixed. Thinking hard as to what to do about unreliable brakes. Thank God there were not pedestrians ahead of her or that she was not on the parkway.

VERY SAD VERY MAD

Desmond S NJ

- Desmond S., middletown, US

May 212017

F-150 Platinum 3.5L V6

2015 Ford F150 with 31,233 miles. I parked the vehicle at Camping World to get supplies for my trailer. There was no indication of a problem when I parked the truck. Came back out of the store about 1/2 hour later. I started the engine, put my foot on the brake, released the parking brake and put it in reverse. As soon as I put it in reverse a warning came up for "Low Brake Fluid". The truck had now started to move in reverse. When I stepped on the brake the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I had to use the parking brake to stop. I checked the master cylinder and the fluid level was almost completely empty. I could find no signs of leaking brake fluid at the wheels or under the vehicle. The scary part is that after leaving Camping World I was going to pickup my travel trailer from storage to get it ready for vacation. We are vacationing back to Alabama pulling the trailer. I am really lucky this did not happen while pulling the trailer, or even driving on the road.

- Gerald B., VACAVILLE, CA, US