8.4

$60

Most common solutions:

1. replace throttle body (20 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford F-150:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Apr 102019

F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.0L V8

When you pull up to a stoplight the idle will start to fluctuate until the truck inevitably dies, then you have to put the transmission back in park before you can restart the engine and get going again. Guaranteed to make you lots of friends in traffic. At first, the check engine light was not on and the Ford dealer said there was nothing they could do until it threw a code, understandable. After driving it a while, it did finally throw a code and the check engine light illuminated.

I brought the truck in and they replaced my VCT solenoids (took them a week), this was about 10,000 miles ago, and that seemed to have fixed it, but the truck has started to vibrate at idle and I fear the problem is coming back. The idle holds steady at 500-600 RPMs as of now, so maybe I'm just paranoid. This truck only has 70,000 miles on it and I don't trust it to go on a long drive anymore.

- Supa D., Sanford, NC, US

Apr 022019

F-150 F X 4

My truck just cuts off in slow traffic as I roll to a stop. If I push on the brakes REALLY hard it seems to keep it from cutting off. My mechanic could not find the problem. It happens totally randomly and not every time I drive it. But you have to put it in park and restart it. Very dangerous and a huge pain in the butt when I have a long commute home in very slow traffic. Its all I can do to keep it running in stop and go traffic. I keep waiting to get rear ended while I'm trying to restart my truck. If I go to the dealership they will first keep my truck for at least a day if not 2 and then they are guaranteed to try and convince me some additional work needs doing that is not under warranty. I have gone to my personal mechanic in the past to find out if they are being honest and they definitely were NOT so I really really don't want to take my truck to the dealership.

- Natalie D., Snellville, GA, US

May 012019

F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

Truck is 3 years old and it stalls while idling when stopped at a stop sign or traffic light. Brought it into Ford and there are no error codes in the computer.

- Robert M., Utopia, ON, Canada

Mar 182018

F-150 Lariat V6 3.5L Ecoboost

Pulling an Air-stream on a 4 lane freeway entering Chicago when the throttle body caused us to be dead in the water. It was a miracle we didn’t cause a major multi car pileup in heavy traffic going 65 MPH. We immediately put our flashers on and had to coast to the side of the road, put it in park in order to restart the truck. This happened 4 more times by the time it was fixed. It was covered under warranty. Dealership didn’t seem to think this was a safety issue!

- Carleen W., Alexandria, MN, US

Apr 262019

F-150 Lariat V6 3.5L Ecoboost

We had our throttle body replaced 13 months ago when it went out on us during a trip pulling our camper. We are now on another trip leaving the Lake Tahoe area, pulling our camper going on I-80 with 2 semis side by side coming up on us and our engine stalls. No shoulder to pull over on, just guardrails. The semis managed to both squeeze into 1 ½ lanes to fly past us. We restarted the engine, moved up about 50 yards to a shoulder and sat for 30 minutes getting our pulse rate to normal and trying to decide whether it was worth proceeding. I went online to find that this throttle body part has been under recall, but not for our particular vehicle. Our dealer said it wouldn’t be covered if we replaced this time as our warranty has ended. We have a 3 day trip back home. No Ford dealership carries this part or had the time to get us in. They just want to low-ball us on a trade-in value because it has problems and they can’t stand by their own parts, and sell us a new vehicle to get back home. We have continued driving, staying out of high risk crash areas, but it has stalled 9 times in 2 days. We have been told that at one point, the engine will eventually not restart and we will be sitting ducks. Renting another tow vehicle for our camper is $360/day. We have lost our faith in Ford and will be replacing this truck with something more reliable.

Update from Apr 28, 2019: It is now 12 hours later. I googled YouTube videos and found a lot of information which led to me calling an Autozone store and they actually had one in stock that matched our vehicle for $120. We pulled into our campsite, had the old one out and new one installed in about 30 minutes. Another video showed us how to calibrate the truck to the new part. We are back on the road, driving for 3 hours and the truck runs smooth with no problems. We’ve learned that YouTube is a better resource than Ford Company and we will keep a spare part on hand to replace as needed. The electronic chip is apparently what is failing and are good for about 12 months.

- Carleen W., Alexandria, MN, US

Jan 012019

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

Started as a roaming idle over the past year. Brought it in to Ford the first time where I live, they wouldn't even take it in. It began to worsen so I took to another Ford and they were gonna charge me to look at even under warranty. Now it does every time I'm parked or stopped. I'm going in again and this time I'm not f*cking around.

- Clint P., Topeka, KS, US

Nov 232017

F-150 Lariat 5.0L

At around 36,000 miles, the truck started acting like it was going to die when I came to a stoplight. There was not a check engine light on. The problem seems very intermittent, and it was difficult to recreate predictably. I asked my mechanic and the guy at Advanced Auto Parts if they could check out the problem, and both said they could not without a check-engine light.

While driving on the interstate, there is a strange feeling like the truck is jerking or shifting, but there is no shifting. I was driving on the interstate last month when I came to a construction zone. When I slowed to 5-10mph due to the traffic, the truck completely died on the interstate. The notice appeared on my dash "To START Press Brake". I had to stop completely on the interstate, put the vehicle in PARK, and start the truck again.

The problem never seems to present itself when it first starts up, but if I am driving for 30 minutes and then come to a stop, the truck tachometer will randomly drop, sometimes so much so that the truck will turn off (as it did in the video I linked). I have learned to keep one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas when I come to a complete stop, just so the truck will not die unexpectedly. The truck RPMs will not dip every time I stop -- it is very random and unpredictable -- but when it does it is never good, hence why I just do the gas/brake trick and take no chances. It almost sounds like the engine may be skipping, though I am not a mechanic, so I am not sure exactly what that feels like.

The truck has had regular oil changes and is otherwise in excellent condition. The mileage is highway miles for when I travel for my job. I have read many similar complaints on the web, and some even indicate the problem occurring while driving at a higher rate of speed than 5-10mph, which really makes me nervous.

- joshuncc, Lewisville, NC, US

Dec 072017

F-150 XLT 3.5L

driving early in morning way to work vehicle loses acceleration because engine stall on highway in a scary spot I was driving like 60 mph, I waited a couple of minutes then started right up it happen like 5 times that day I was able to drive it to dealer where they said they didn't see anything working with it because its starting and driving fine but I mention some of these complains and they change the throttle body for me it worked fine few weeks later back at dealer for same problem..........

- Daniel C., Staten Island, US

Nov 042017

F-150 Lariat 5.0L

Well, on the way to work at the Firehall today my truck shut off completely. It was early and traffic was light so I pulled over. I thought did that really happen? I restarted the motor but I am worried. If I were on the 401 or in tighter traffic this may have caused an accident. I have a call into the dealer. Ford should do a recall asap. What if I perished in an MVC and no one could figure it out why it had occurred. Get it FIXED FORD!

Update from Nov 5, 2017: So called the dealer. They need to find a code to fix they tell me.I will be calling first thing Monday. It idles rough and if I don't get action of some type tomorrow I will not be happy. Not safe to drive.

- Dave L., Kingston, ON, Canada

Jul 122017

F-150 XLT 3.7L Ecoboost

Same issues as others have mentioned in the thread. Lost all power on highway, fortunately I was in exit lane. Shutdown then restarted a few times and was able to get 1/2 way home before it totally died. Complete failure even after restarting. Had vehicle towed to dealer via Ford roadside assistance. Same lights as others, wrench, hill restart, airbag, check engine ect. Waiting to hear diagnosis. Have a good idea what it is from this forum.

Update from Aug 24, 2017: Like many others who have reported this issue it was the throttle body. Ford dealer replace with identical part. Who knows if it will fail again, I think maybe it will....

- Joe F., West Chester, US

Jul 112017

F-150 XLT 3.5L V6

I was on my way to work. I was driving in heavy traffic going about 65 mph. The truck completely stalled and lost all throttle control. All the dreaded bells and whistles went off to tell me I had indeed bought the wrong vehicle. Lucky for me I was going fast enough to coast up an exit ramp and pull off to the side of the road. It was a white knuckle experience for sure. After a few minutes I started it up and it shuddered very roughly so I turned it off. I waited a bit longer and tried again. It finally took off like normal but the check engine light is on. The truck is running less than smoothly. I am having it towed to the dealership for repair and I'm sure it will be the throttle body.

I am a huge American made guy. I love my Fords. I almost bought a Chevy while I was shopping last year but decided not to get it because that truck shook like it was gonna fall apart at highway speeds. What is it with these American Manufactures and the lumps of coal they put on the highways these days. Those Toyotas are looking a lot better now.

- Jeremy I., Columbus, US

Mar 132017

F-150 XLT 2.7L

This happened again today (total of 3 times!!). I got it on video since I only drive with a GoPro rolling for liability issues. I got in contact with a Regional Sales Manager for Ford prior to this. They put in my request to replace the vehicle and it was denied today, the same day as my next instance. They want me to continue to be the crash test dummy for their troubleshooting. I have an aftermarket amp in the truck and they tried to put the blame on that for the first 2 times. So it was unplugged from the battery, no power whatsoever. What do you know, still happens. So my guess is next they will ask me to take out my speakers because that could be a cause...never mind I have brought up this thread multiple times. I guess they want a death on their hands before they do anything. I am so upset over this. They could care less my family, or other drivers for that matter, get hurt or worse. I was a big Ford guy before all this. Never again. I don't know what I am going to do. I can't drive a death trap just because they want me to.

- Andy B., Castle Rock, CO, US

May 052017

F-150 XLT V6

As was feared, I was driving my 2016 F150 XLT at 80mph when the entire system failed; just as I was changing lanes to exit.

Since I was in heavy traffic, I almost missed getting off because other cars had jumped onto the Exit Ramp. With no power, I had to cut across 3 lanes of fast moving traffic on the access road, and pulled into the closest parking lot. Fortunately, all of the traffic dogged around me. When I stopped, the engine was sputtering and jerking, and the dreaded "wrench light" was on.

Fortunately, the family was across the highway visiting a relative in the hospital. So, my husband came and got me. I followed back him back under the highway, and was pulling into the parking lot, when it totally shut down again. It's a good thing the closest parking space was empty.

We called Grapevine Ford and made arrangements to drop it off that night.

The incident occurred both at high, and low speeds. The truck had 7,200 miles on the odometer.

They replaced the "throttle body." Ford has acknowledge the problem. But, rather than issue a recall, they have been quietly replacing the units when the trucks are in for other service.

The next time I had to drive a distance, I drove all the way on the two-lane, avoiding the possibility of another "catastrophic" failure at high speed.

All I can say at this point?

I'm glad I didn't panic. A less experienced driver may do so if they find themselves in my situation.

- funky monkey, Keller, TX, US

Jul 152016

F-150 King Ranch 3.5L Turbo

Happened 3 times, before part came in. kept truck over night. part on backorder

- nicholasfl, Jacksonville, FL, US

Aug 142016

F-150 XLT 3.5L

The absolute most scary thing I have ever had happen while driving. While driving in heavy traffic on freeway at 65 MPH the truck lost all ability to accelerate. Traction control warning appeared on dash. Engine was completely unresponsive. By some miracle I was able to navigate to shoulder and limp to exit ramp. Pulled into parking lot and shut car off. Engine was running but accelerator did nothing. Restarted twice and the engine allowed me to rev it. Put in drive and problem seemed to go away but service engine icon appeared on dash. Brought car to dealer this morning. Service rep seemed to immediately suspect it was the throttle body??? All other complaints seem to say the same thing. This cannot happen again. I feel lucky to have survived this happening once. My confidence in this vehicle is gone.

- grp, Boynton Beach, FL, US

Jul 272016

F-150 Lariat 3.5L Eco V6

While driving the truck will randomly lose power so nothing happens when the accelerator is pushed. At the same time I get an error "service advancetrac" and a wrench "see manual". If you acknowledge the errors, they are followed by a hill start assist error. This has happened several times while driving and the only thing you can do is coast to the side of the road, turn the truck off and restart which clears it out until the next time. I took it to the dealer and they said none of the codes found indicated anything wrong so I would have to wait until it happens again and bring it in or get a check engine light. The problem is, as soon as you turn the truck off and on, it clears everything and will run normal until it happens again.

After going to the dealership I have experienced this loss of power a dozen more times all in a weeks time while on vacation. I plan on returning to the dealership when I am home. I currently have a check engine light on and just hope that it stays for when I bring it in. It was on previously but went away after several restarts.

This is a serious safety issue that should be recalled. The First Ford dealership should be more willing to troubleshoot the issue despite not having error codes that pinpointed it for them. I suspect they have a good idea what the cause is but couldn't do anything about it until they see an error code that supports it. Truly a horrible experience.

More to follow.

- Keith O., Sutton, MA, US

Feb 232017

F-150 XLT 2.7L

This has happened to me twice. Complete loss of mechanical power in the middle of driving on busy streets. My truck is currently at the Ford dealer service dept. The first time I took it in, they gave it back saying they found nothing wrong. This time (30 days or so later) they have a call into Ford corporate for help because they still don't see anything wrong. I have an 8 month old son and he is no longer allowed in the truck due to how dangerous this issue is. This is absolutely unacceptable, very dangerous and needs a recall immediately.

- Andy B., Castle Rock, CO, US

Oct 132016

F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco

Damn near caused a head on collision, coincides with other complaints to follow.

- pab2, Pahrump, NV, US

Oct 182016

F-150 Lariat 3.5L Eco

New truck 10 months old $55,000. Driving down highway, goes from 65 mph to 20 to 2 in about 4 seconds. I had no control of the engine at all - the throttle did not work. It went into "limp mode"! I stopped let it sit and started it up after about 30 seconds. It started rough I was able to get to the dealership. They checked it and said they "could not find any problems". I drove home and it did it again almost causing an accident. I contacted the dealership again today and was told to bring it back in but I would have to prove it was the throttle body problem before they would cover it under warranty.

I don't know how this is going to work out but relating this dangerous problem to the Toyota stuck throttle issues it could be a real problem for Ford. It didn't work out too well for Toyota when they tried to hardball their customers.

- davisw48, Antonito, CO, US

Oct 102016

F-150 3.5L V6

I bought my 2016 F-150 about 6 months ago. Before I did, I checked this site for problems. I saw that the 2015's were having lots of problems with the throttle body. I thought that Ford would have a solution to this problem due to the abundance of complaints and that the 2016s would be better. That's what I get for thinking. I began having problems with the truck holding idle for about 6 or 7 days.. I thought it might be bad fuel. Then, on Columbus Day I was driving in town and I lost all acceleration. This will sound like all the other complaints about the throttle body that you read about on this site. Multiple warning lights came on. I limped into the Ford shop. I left the engine running and the idle was very rough. The Ford technician put the scanner on it and it was diagnosed as a bad throttle body. It was replaced and I was back on the road in an hour and a half with no charge. I want to thank my dealership for the great service but I wish that Ford would deal with the problems quicker (like back in 2015 when the problems were coming out). I spend a lot of time out in the woods and if this problem had occurred at a different time, I could have had a very long walk out to find help.

- Bill T., Clovis, NM, US