7.8

$440

Most common solutions:

2. replace door latch (12 reports)
  3. ground wire to switch.keeps warning off even if door is open (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Flex:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

May 202019

Flex SEL 3.5L V6

I already had to replace the sensor on the drivers door, and now the passenger sensor is messed up and the light stays on, and my interior lights stays on. And now the door ajar light stays on too. It’s very distracting and I can’t lock my car. It’s dangerous because anyone can get in my car and when you’re disabled you can’t defend yourself.

- loscuito, Granbury, Tx, US

May 012017

Flex SE V6

Ford needs to have this issue recalled. I see I'm not the only person having this same problem. At night the dome light stays on which is a distraction when pulling out which could cause an accident. The doors won't lock. My alarm continues to go off all hours of the night and day. I have had to replace my battery twice. Come on Ford, fix this crap.

- Leslie A., Dallas, US

Nov 182018

click to see larger images

door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on

Already replaced back passenger sensor. Warranty is out so cost is $500 to fix the passenger front door. Have to keep opening and closing to get it to shut off. Already replaced one dead battery. Dome lights stay on continuously dings and kills battery. Now the sensor light came on and door was not even opened. Can't use door or have a passenger in front seat because the door will have to be opened and closed until the door sensor light goes off.. I have read lots of reviews that this is a problem with this year of Flex.. and now I am reading there was a lawsuit filed last year.

- Audrey S., Saint Petersburg, US

Sep 012018

Flex SEL

Even though hundreds of complaints have been brought up with Ford, they don't think this is a safety issue to have the doors remain unlocked at all times.

- Barry L., Phoenix, AZ, US

Feb 012018

Flex SE V6

click to see larger images

door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on door ajar light stays on

My right front passenger door sensor has been sticking "door ajar" light remains on for about 6 months. At first I thought it was my kid not shutting the door all the way. Then by February 2018 I started to realize it was the car not the user. Now my spouse can't even sit in the front seat of our "family vehicle" because the last time he got out of the car we didn't think we were going to be able to shut the door enough times to get the "door ajar" light to trigger so our kid has to sit in front by climbing the seats! Also even when we don't use the door, I've noticed more and more that something will trigger it and the light will be on when I go to start the car. The dome lights are supposed to automatically turn off, but they don't, when I go to move my car when my spouse gets home from work that's usually when I find the lights are sometimes on, sometimes not & I'll get just the light on the dash and the dome lights when I start my car. Also I'm now having issues with the battery that was replaced last year so it should not have any issues. However a couple of times I've come out to start my car in the morning and the "door ajar" was somehow triggered and my car battery is low. The lights are on when I'm driving through neighborhoods because I'm driving at a lower speed and I can't shut them off because of this stupid "door ajar" light. I can't lock my car doors when it's triggered, not when the car is in motion or off. This is dangerous as I do have a young child and car theft is serious in my area. This is getting ridiculous as this is something that ford needs to fix, this is not just an annoyance, it is a safety issue. Having to drive with the dome lights on, not being able to lock the car at all, in motion or parked, battery dying, heck one day I'm lucky the car started after getting groceries. From what I have read, once one door does this, another door is sure to follow until all have had this issue and the parts been replaced... this sounds very much like Ford should just recall and fix the darn doors!

- Amanda C., Moline, US

Jul 262018

Flex 3.5L V6

So this is now door number two. Aware of lawsuits for this issue and Ford continues to turn their head. I will NOT be buying another ford again.

My battery is basically a POS now - and also have to have that replaced due to the lights staying on.

I REFUSE to sink bull sh*t money into this car (i know its about 500 or more to fix at a dealer) - so We are now looking at hacks on you tube to get around it. Sad that we have to do this

- Lori C., South Lyon, MI, US

Aug 222018

Flex 3.5L

I bought this car used to replace my Taurus x. I thought that the little issues with the Taurus made this a good investment. Instead I have had nothing but electrical issues starting with the radio control module. The door latch sensor is a real pisser. It takes hours to turn off the warning lights and interior lights etc. We just keep slamming the door until it turns off and exit out of another door.Not fun when you are in your sixties.The light comes on whenever it feels like and causes the car to stall. The interior lights;All of them, come on whenever they feel like it. Driving down dark country roads is hazardous because there are no street lights and we almost collided with a group of people crossing the road at night because of the night blindness and not being able to see out the windows with the inside lights on. If they do not want to recall this, then at the very least have the new sensors installed at an affordable price. Ford knows there is a problem. I work at a factory that supplies the doors and they know it is a problem. It has been investigated more than once and now someone should do the right thing before I get a lawyer involved and file a class action lawsuit. Lets start putting parts that are premium on these cars. This cheapening of the product does not work. This will probably be my last Ford.

- Paula H., Belleville, MI, US

Aug 152018

Flex SEL

Dangerous when pulled off side of highway and tried to remedy by closing door harder. Occurs practically every day. Slamming door sometimes helps. In addition to door open icon, the doors will not lock when driving when lock switches are pressed and auto lock does not function. DANGEROUS situation especially with child locks in back and when driving in "bad" high crime areas!

Update from Aug 27, 2018: Ground colored wire to switch. Will keep door ajar warning from coming on (whether door is opened or closed) therefor it is not a true fix but a work around that works to prevent dead batteries, false alarm triggers, overhead cockpit lamps from staying on. I works for me since Ford says there is no easy fix and the switch (latch) must be replaced but that it can go bad again. There are 5 such switches including tailgate and they will go bad. Only 1 Ford Service Adviser I spoke to said this was a safe work around but of course could not authorize it but it would work as I describe and it does work. With all materials present the fix takes between 1/2 to 1 hour, but is a PITA. How to's are on You Tube, and wire diagrams on FixYa to find wire colors (ones closest to switch are the ones to use --wires are small)

- Jeff G., Wiscasset, ME, US

Oct 302015

Flex 3.5L V6

In my opinion pretty significant PITA issue. Lights stay on, battery drains, etc. I used to love my Flex - (had one prior and should have stuck with the one (2011) I had, less of a lemon)

- Lori C., South Lyon, MI, US

Jul 132017

Flex 06

Door ajar light on constantly and alarm goes off randomly. If you also have similar problems with your 2013 Ford Flex, please call FORD Customer Relations: 800 392-3673. If enough people call, we can get a recall. Thank you!

- Sean W., Adairville, KY, US

Aug 012017

Flex Limited

This is really annoying, and costs a lot of money with no permanent way to fix it!!

- gkoufos, Wellington, US

Mar 012014

Flex SEL V6

Passenger door ajar light stayed on. This was the first of two for the passenger door.

Nov 012015

Flex SEL V6

Driver side door this time, previous time before and after this was the passenger door.

Jul 062017

Flex SEL V6

Second time I had to get the drivers door fixed. First time dealer said it “just needed cleaning”. Huh?

Feb 122018

Flex

how is this not on recall? doors wont lock, battery can be drained and alarm goes off at will.

- Julie A., midlothian, US

May 082017

Flex ES V6

Leave the interior dome lights on which can lead to the battery draining overnight.

Refuse to lock the doors when the vehicle is in motion. A safety concern for anyone, but especially those owners with kids.

The key fob won’t be able to lock the doors when you leave the car parked. Hello, thieves!

- Victorio E. M., Pasadena, CA, US

Aug 082017

Flex Limted

Just like all of the others, my Ford Flex has the door ajar problem. It thinks the door is open when it is not. Because of this it will not automatically lock the car when I start (I have toddlers so this is important). It is draining my battery. The alarm is randomly going off in the middle of the night, too. I brought it in and Ford says they cannot replicate the door ajar problem. I show them all of the complaints and it does not matter. What a joke. I loved the car for three years and now tell everyone to stay clear.

- jbdrake, Danville, US

May 312017

Flex SE 3.5L

CONSTANT DOOR AJAR WARNING WHEN ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED (OR OPEN) DRAINS BATTERY AND CONTINUALLY SETS OFF CAR ALARM. DOORS NO LONGER LOCK WHEN CAR IS IN MOTION. DOORS CANNOT BE LOCKED ONCE PARKED OR ALARM WILL SOUND WITHIN 10-15 MINUTES. ISSUE HAS DRAINED MULTIPLE BATTERIES AND STRANDED OWNER. DOME LIGHTS COME ON UNEXPECTEDLY WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT - ISSUE OCCURS ON STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. FORD DEALER RECOMMENDS REPLACING ALL DOOR LATCHES AT >$200 A PIECE WITH NO GUARANTEE OF ISSUE NOT RECURRING.

- Trisha S., Ames, US

Jun 012015

Flex SEL 3.5L V6 Dohc 24v

This is a recurring issue and and incredibly expensive repair for a faulty switch (~$600 with parts and labour).

In our case this has happened twice, this complaint outlines the first time (date and mileage is an approximation since I'm entering this complaint after the fact), but there are many reports of this happening many, many times, even on the same vehicle.

The first time for us was the drivers side front door. Luckily this occurred during the term of our extended warranty and was repaired without charge , eventually... (It took a LOT of complaints/arguments with the dealership service dept manager and Ford Canada to have the dealership categorize this as an issue with the safety related "door ajar" section of the warranty... They initially insisted on it being categorized as the door latch, which apparently wouldn't have been covered...)

Not looking forward to the next door sensor to go... but fully expect it too... very disappointed...

- Wayde N., Hamilton, ON, Canada

Mar 102017

Flex SEL 3.5L

Same Issue and many others. Door Ajar light stays on for passenger door. Dealer will not fix as part of a defective part provided by Ford. We have already gone through a battery due to the lights staying on.

Also the safety issue of the door not locking while the car in in motion, since the car thinks the door is open.

- Stefan J., Orange, CA, US