Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

Apr 132019

Focus

The contact was calling on behalf her client who owned a 2013 Ford Focus. The driver was driving at 35 mph and decreasing to 15 mph in order to make a left turn, the vehicle stalled with no warning, as a result the vehicle crashed a tree. The airbags failed to deploy. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 18V735000 (fuel system, gasoline). Both the driver and the front seat passenger were transported by ambulance for medical treatment. The driver sustained neck, back, and shoulder injuries as well as a fractured knee. The front seat passenger required three surgeries due to the injuries sustained from the crash. A police report was filed with case number: 0046196919U. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but a failure was not diagnosed as the vehicle was deemed a total loss. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 082019

Focus

I just got the car from dealership with financing it, they didn't know notify me, that there was an unfixible recall!!! I am a single mom, it was my long way to getting a car, I want it be safe for me and my daughter, I don't, it won't even last 6 years, I am really upset!!!! please fix ingeen light pops on, hatchback opens, airbag is pff

- Yerington, NV, USA

Mar 012019

Focus

Takata recall. On Friday March 1 2019 as I was driving my air bag exploded. No damage to vehicle occurred.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 082017

Focus

Vehicle purchased in 2015 with less than 20K miles. 1st problem, exploded tire causing minor body damage and sensor damage. Thankfully just came from a stop sign and not traveling fast, no injury. 2nd problem, driving down road at approx 35mph when airbags suddenly deployed. Wondered if hit small animal. Got out to investigate.....nothing. Vehicle then rolled off road (decline in terrain) landing rested in a chain link fence. Upon inspection, discovered that motor mounts had failed causing motor to drop forwards towards radiator therefore indicating crash and deploying airbags. All components connected to motor ripped forwards as well. Thankfully also no injury. If that would have occurred at high speeds, serious injury or death could have resulted. There is no reason or excuse for failure of motor mounts. This is clearly a defect. Contacted Ford at the highest level number I was able to obtain. Requested only to address safety issue. They issued a claim, dismissed it and would not allow me to speak to anyone with the authority to address the issue. Contacted Chevy dealership where vehicle was purchased, they said Ford would have to address the issue. Then took vehicle to Ford dealership to run diagnostic to evaluate why airbags deployed. This vehicle contains a module that contains data pertaining to airbag deployment. It is as simple as retrieving the data! only Ford field rep can do this. Towed vehicle to dealership to perform diagnostic to next be referred to rep for data retrieval. Employees of dealership were not allowed by their supervisor to examine the vehicle due to the extent of damage under the hood. Someone needs to be concerned with the integrity of the motor mounts on this vehicle. Other vehicles may have this problem as well. If mounts were to fail at high speeds, catastrophic crash would be eminent. Damage from crash would hide failed mounts as cause

- Salem, WI, USA

Oct 112018

Focus

The contact owned a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle was involved in a crash with another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact and a passenger in the other vehicle sustained injuries which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard. Neither the dealer nor manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000. The vehicle was destroyed.

- St.Cloud, FL, USA

Oct 122018

Focus

Airbag did not inflate when my son had an accident the airbag deployed but did not inflate he went into the back of another vehicle on highway 40 on October

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Oct 062018

Focus

┐takata recall┐ I have a 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback. I was recently involved in an accident head on and only one airbag engaged. It engaged from underneath the dashboard on the driving seat of the vehicle... ~

- Liberty, NY, USA

Oct 232017

Takata recall

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Apr 042017

Focus

My 75 year old mother in law was driving this car (her car) on 4/4/17 in bellmead, Texas. She was hit at about 40 mph in the front passenger side quarter panel/wheel area by a 1998 Honda sedan. She was driving on a paved feeder road in clear sun shiny weather. The car was a total loss due to the axel breaking and the air bag did not deploy. She hit her head in the accident which resulted in her death a week later due to a stroke caused by a left hemorrhagic stroke (brain bleed). I can provide the police report and photos via personal email not through this public forum.

- Springtown, TX, USA

Nov 132016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving at 55 mph, there was another vehicle approaching the contact's vehicle head on. However, the contact swerved off the road to avoid crashing into the other vehicle and crashed into a poll. The contact stated that the air bags did not deploy and the seat belt did not remain secured. The contact hit her head on the windshield and fractured her wrist. The dealer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Sep 302016

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. While driving 40 mph, another vehicle pulled out in front of the contact's vehicle. A crash occurred and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained minor injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Jun 122016

Focus

I was entering an intersection, going straight at about 5-10mph (accelerating) when I was T-boned by a car running their red light at about 40mph. She struck the driver door and front driver side wheel. None of my airbags deployed. The impact was enough to make the driver door unopenable and bend the front wheel to an irregular angle. The unibody was damaged as well as the exterior parts and the car was declared a total loss.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 192015

Focus

Last night I hit a deer going 70 miles per hr. On the highway. My leg airbags deployed but my steering wheel did not only the clips came out. Due to knee airbags I have huge bruises on both legs. I feel that the steering wheel has a defective airbag since it did not deploy. If I had hit a tree instead of a deer its possible I would not be here to file this it did not protect me at all.

- South Ryegate, VT, USA

Dec 062014

Focus 4-cyl

I was involved in an accident in which I rear-ended the vehicle in front of me. I decelerated from between 60 and 65 mph to 0 mph in just a few seconds, with frontal impact being made with the car in front of me probably somewhere around 30 mph or less. My knee airbag deployed immediately (I have the bruise to prove it). My steering wheel airbag began deploy but stopped. I have pictures showing the horn cover of the steering wheel separated from the base about a centimeter. My horn began honking in even pulses. My steering wheel airbag never actually deployed. I noticed that other 2013 Ford models had recalls for steering wheel airbag failures, but not the Focus. The symptoms described, like for the Fusion, seem similar to what I saw with my airbag. The fact that the sensors detected the crash was enough to set off the airbag, but the airbag could not fully deploy concerns me. My vehicle is in the process of being repaired, and both airbags are being replaced, but I wanted to be sure to report this, just in case this could be the start of a bigger issue for my model. I was lucky. In my accident, the steering wheel airbag was not needed to keep me safe, but someone else might not be so lucky.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, a deer jumped in front of the vehicle, which caused the contact to crash. The contact stated that the steering wheel air bag failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the hips and both shins but did not require medical attention. The vehicle was repaired but the repair specifics were unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Deer Creek , MN, USA

Feb 272014

Focus 4-cyl

The Focus was stopped at the scene of another accident when it was rear ended at highway speed (55 mph approximately) by a driver who did not see it stopped. The car was pushed into the rear end of the car stopped in front of it. The rear hatch of the car was pushed in past the rear axle and the front end sustained heavy damage. The car was a total loss yet none of the air bags, front or side deployed. I sustained a head injury from hitting the steering wheel and the drivers seat broke when I was thrown backwards after hitting the car in front of me. Updated 11/24/2014

- Onsted, MI, USA

May 102014

Focus

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Focus. The contact stated while driving 5 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact's front driver side. The contact suffered from whiplash. The air bags failed to deploy upon impact. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Lake Panasosskee, FL, USA

Apr 302014

Focus 4-cyl

I was going to pick up my wife from work as usual. I am a very safe driver especially around corners. I was not driving more that15 mph when the car accelerated by itself. To avoid hitting a parked car I had to turn the steering wheel to the right. I went up on the driveway area. I hit a concrete wall portion or a driveway. Totaled the entire front right. Axle is broken. Air bag never deployed. Several months back they had to put in a brand new transmission. The car is just now 1 year old. It could not go up hills, park up hills. Transmission would turn off. Now it accelerated on it's own. My wife told me from the beginning this car is a lemon. I liked it so did not want to believe it! now I have to. I am still stiff all over. I have reported this to Ford auto body and my dealer. I hope they will be honest about all this. I do not feel I should be marked badly by my insurance or have my premium go up when this is not my fault. I hope Ford will at least help me out with a new replacement car for this lemon they sold me! now they will put through a claim on my insurance to repair the damage done to the wall. I hope my insurance premium will not go up. I should not have to held responsible for this when Ford has known about this problem for years and has many complaints. This I was not even aware of!

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA