7.1

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Focus:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 012018

Focus SE 2.0L

We are the second owners of a 2017 Ford Focus SE. After driving it for about a month, the transmission started "shuttering" when acceleratinig from stop. I'm at a loss on what to do. I read where a class action lawsuit was filed against Ford because they have known about the faulty transmission. Is it too late to get in on the lawsuit? Please HELP.

- Kerry M., Sulphur Springs, IN, US

Oct 042018

Focus 2.0L

Really pissed. Just bought this car used based on the 2017 Focus not having transmission stuttering issues like the earlier years. Runs fine cold. Jerks, shudders, slips,and grabs when warm. Took to the local Ford dealer, they just called and said yes it stutters and grabs and slips. But it's not bad enough to fit their criteria for repair. Don't make a mistake like me and buy this car. Stay away from the new improved, bullshit Focus.

- Jim H., Brooksville, FL, US

Aug 172018

Focus Titanium 2.4L 4 cyl

My Ford Focus has been having this problem since I put 5000 miles on it. I have had it to Ford Company 3 times and they tell me nothing is wrong. It jerks your head off when taking off and has a growl noise. This so upsetting pay this much for car and it runs like sh*t. It has also has a miss in it. The Ford Company tells me that it has electric transmission and it will do that. They tell me when I come to red light wait till car in front takes off and accelerate hard so it won't do it. They also tell me to wait till it goes completely out till they will fix. They told me also to call wrecker to tow in Ford will pay for it.

I am a 55 year old female with a lot of medical problems and I also have my grandson with me a lot he is 5 years old. I have told them that and they don't care. I be damned if my car breaks down on me or I get hit by another car because of these issues. I will sue the hell out of Ford Company if my grandson gets hurt or killed. If they put cars or trucks on the road like this and not tell the buyer about the issues first. They should shut Ford Company down. I am one pissed off customer. I would recommend no one to buy a Ford car or truck. It's all about money they don't give a damn about peoples lives.

- beverlyharris, GREENWOOD, US

Oct 102018

Focus SE 2.0L

I read online that the transmission issues were resolved in 2016 obviously not. We bought a new 2017 focus last fall for ourselves since we had a 2010 focus that we put 130000 miles on and figured a new Focus was the way to go. Big mistake we put just over ten thousand miles on our new focus and the transmission is shuttering and going out the dealer says no big deal drive it till next week and bring it it it won't hurt it.

Bullshit I am a retired mechanic/engineer I have personally rebuilt hundreds of transmissions in my lifetime when a transmission starts shuttering the plates are not fully engaging thus the wear surfaces grind away. What really bothers me is the fact we also purchased a new 2017 Fiesta for my daughter last year too. My daughter hasn't noticed a problem with hers yet. Called Ford they said the dealer will repair it till it hits end of factory warranty after that too bad. So we have decided to trade in on a new Kia can't buy a Dodge or Chevy they have major issues too. A shame you can't trust an American car anymore

- Steve M., Shannon, IL, US

Dec 012017

Focus SEL 2.0L

I was basically forced into trading in my 2012 Focus SEL with the same transmission problems at Hagerstown Ford. I was told there was no fix for the old car (even after having the clutch replaced at 30k) but the 2017 Focus's had a "redesigned" transmission and the issues had been fixed. I noticed withing the first month that the transmission was a redesign and it showed signs already of being just like the 2012. I have 10k on this year old car now and I'm scared to drive it on the highway in fear of getting into heavy traffic and having to "stop/go" because thats when the shuttering, clanking and growling goes on. It soon will leave me sitting like my 12 did. I've called and left 2 messages with the transmission specialist with no call backs, I imagine they should hire 5 more with all these issues. Not sure what else to do but I know I will never buy another Ford again.

- tdawn870, Hagerstown, US

Jun 202018

Focus SE 2.0L

Got my Ford Focus almost year ago at the dealer. I told them I need a car which I should drive at least for a next 3 years with no problem. I asked couple times salesman about this car, is it any issue people complain about it? That's why I decided to go with a new one instead of used. They told me not at all. 15K and I have a new clutch changed by the standard warranty. Thanks for that, it sort of fixed a problem it's not shaking as was before, but still its 15k only WTF Ford?! Should I come back in next 15k again? I feel so bad about people who are buying especially this car.

- Peter C., Plainsboro, NJ, US

Jul 112018

Focus 2.0L

Bought a new leftover car Ford Focus 2017 on May 30 2018 at Hagerstown Ford. I have 3000 miles on it and when I come to a stop and give it gas to go it shutters and feels like its slipping in low gear. I took to Hagerstown Ford and told them what was going on. They called me several hours later to come and get car said they road tested scanned for codes, none found. Unable to verify any abnormal conditions at this time. I am a 65 year old lady who feels cheated and will be paying on a car for 6 years and I don't know if this car is going to make it. I work at a hospital and really need a dependable car to get to my job. Really upset need some advice on what to do about this.

- Debbie B., Hagerstown, MD, US

May 012018

Focus

I have always loved Fords. But before this I had owned a 2010 Fusion and that had issues too. I noticed when I decelerate the Fusion would jerk when going below 40. It had 93000 miles on it, so I still owed 12000 dollars on it. Dealer screwed me big time. I took it in to have it looked at and they said the transmission was slipping. I then went to a local dealer to see if I can get out of being upside down. Low and behold I was able to get into a lease for 2017 Focus SE. I love the car. However, I don't care for the transmission in these. I feel slight shuddering when I accelerate. I can see why Ford is just going to SUVs and trucks. Their sedans are "JUNK". So with this different transmission they have in it the dealer states that they have a transmission in these that feel like a manual transmission and that is why the fuel economy is better. Maybe I just have to get used to it and wait 2 and half more years and then get something other than a Focus. I may plan on getting the new and improved Ranger "knock on wood"... Ford I am giving you one more chance.

- Jeffrey M., Lucan, MN, US

Aug 302017

Focus S

Traded in a 2016 Ford Fiesta for 2017 Ford Focus because of defective transmission design and lawsuit on Fiestas and Focus cars made before 2017. I had car only 4 months and lost $4000 on the deal. Dealer told me the Focus had a different transmission than the Fiesta and Focus made before 2017. It actually has the same Transmission which is a Dual Dry Clutch transmission which is the same that is the cause of the Class Action Lawsuit against Ford for defective Transmissions. I was assured the transmission was different and did not have the problems that the Fiestas and Focus class action lawsuit vehicles had. Within one month my Focus started shuddering when accelerating from a stop. Shuddering is sometimes minor and sometimes major. Dealer says that all 2017 Ford Focus cars display this problem and they can do nothing about it. The Service Manager actually told me that transmission was designed to shudder. Later he admitted Ford knows there is a problem but cannot eliminate the shuddering. They acknowledge they lied about transmission and said that the salesman "miss-spoke" and should have told me different. After four months they said they would buy the car back at a loss of $3000 dollars to me. That plus the $4000 I lost on the trade would put me $7000 in the hole because of their not telling me the truth about the transmissions.

- sluguy, Indianapolis, IN, USA