Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

Jan 052019

Fusion

Brakes go to floor. No leaks, master cylinder is ok, rotors pads are new.

- Auburn, MA, USA

Apr 142019

Fusion

This issue has occurred multiple times since I have owned this vehicle from 2011 to now. Whenever the ABS system engages (hard braking to due snow/ice or obstruction avoidance), immediately following that the brake pedal becomes incredibly spongy or non-existent and braking becomes very difficult without pumping the brake pedal or engaging the hand brake. I've had the pads, rotors, rear calipers, and slide pins replaced and the system flushed and inspected multiple times. No matter what parts I throw at my car, nothing seems to solve this issue.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Feb 102019

Fusion

Driving through town on a sunny day when the light in front of me turned red. I applied the brakes and went over a small bump. After the bump the brake pedal went to the floor. The vehicle would not stop in time and I was forced to roll through the intersection. I was terrified. Thankfully, I did not cause an accident, but the brake pedal remained spongy. It feels like it has about 30% braking power. I had a total brake replacement less than 1000 miles ago. Pads, rotors, bled the lines, the whole 9 yards.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Apr 122016

Fusion

The first time this happened was 3-4 years ago. My wife was braking at a stop light and hit a small pothole in which the break petal went all the way to the floor and she was able to come to a full stop even though it took a lot longer to do so. She pulled over and I had to pick her up and took the car into a local break repair chain. By the time they were able to check it out the breaks were working fine again. When we described the issue they could not find any reports of this on the internet. I believe this was the first time the break fluid was changed since the locations indicated wet or dirty break fluid can cause these symptoms. This happened a few more times to my wife and she decided she would no longer drive the car. I then started driving and again in a similar scenario in which I was breaking and ran over a manhole cover the breaks went to the floor and was difficult to stop the car. I again took it to another break specialist franchise and they could not find an issue with the car or on the internet although the breaks pedal has become soft and has remained that way. Break fluid was changed again for being dirty. My breaks have continued to be soft and will replicate the issue when braking and hitting a bump but appears to be only when the bump hits the front right wheel. I need to get my break pads replaced now and decided to research this issue again and I am finding that this is a very common problem. Why hasn't Ford recalled this product or doing anything to make it right with their customers.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Dec 202015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the ABS failed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The vehicle was taken to baxter Ford South (9203 S 145th St, omaha, ne 63138) where it was diagnosed that the ABS module needed to be replaced. The contact stated that this was the second time the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the same failure. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was currently at the dealer being repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 282019

Fusion

When the ABS kicks in during a hard brake on slippery surface afterwards the brake pedal depresses to the floor which makes stopping very difficult. This is not the first time this has happened but unlike the other times my pedal has not come back on week # 2 of brake pedal going to the floor. This is a safety hazard and obviously an ongoing problem with the 09 Fusion. When will we get a recall? does someone have to die before this is addressed.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Mar 112018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was applied, but failed to respond. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when it was depressed and the ABS and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the speed sensor caliber and brakes needed to be replaced. The local dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was contacted and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Feb 012019

Fusion

Brakes go to the floor, during stopping the car when: Hitting a pot hole while turning and braking, another car caused me to slid into a rut while braking, breaking on snow and ice.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 042019

Fusion

After an ABS braking event, caused by braking on a slippery surface, the brake pedal goes soft, "going to the floor, " and the amount of force required to stop the car increases significantly.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jan 282019

Fusion

While driving down the road I applied my brakes and the pedal started to move in a normal motion then vibrated and went to the floor. This almost made me rear end the car in front of me, I had to swerve to miss it. My brakes have been soft ever since. Upon looking on the internet I see Ford knows about this but still does nothing. This is a issue that makes the car unsafe to drive and I think it should be recalled.

- Allenport, PA, USA

Jan 142019

Fusion

After emergency stop brakes became soft, they would pump up but would not stay up. Had car repaired new hcu very costly (1500 dollars) I see that this is a problem that has been reported before. Ford needs to fix this problem, not their customers

- Loveland, OH, USA

Jan 012019

Fusion

Brake petal goes to the floor mechanic cannot find issues

- Mt Holly Springs, PA, USA

Jan 022019

Fusion

Ton of complaints about hydraulic control unit ABS, failing, car feels unsafe to drive, my car only has 33000 miles on it.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Jan 132019

Fusion

This is the second time in the past month my brakes went soft after pulsating to a quick stop (ABS I guess kicked in). I took it to a mechanic the first time and he couldn't find anything wrong with the brake system. After he looked at it and did a few things to make ABS light come on, they went back to normal. Now it's back, after I had to brake in the snow at a light on the highway. They are back to being spongy and I have to push down further to come to a complete stop.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jan 152019

Fusion

While driving, my ABS activated due to slippery roads from ice. My breaks have been soft after this incident. It happened around a month ago also. This is a known issue and has been reported before.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jan 042019

Fusion

Dealer has informed me that they antilock braking system (ABS) hydraulic control unit (hcu) has failed. Having the repairs done and will cost $1600.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 292018

Fusion

With antiskid activated trying to stop in an expedited manner from 30mph brakes lost all pressure. Pedal goes to the floor. With normal braking they work just fine. Tested brakes on a gravel road and speed does not matter. When the antiskid tries to stop the car you loose all brake pressure and car continues to travel forward with no braking. Emergency brake was the only thing that stopped the car. There is no brake warning light on at this time or during the event.

- Bloomfield, KY, USA

Jan 022019

Fusion

While slowing on a highway to turn onto a side road, the vehicle encountered slippery conditions. The ABS engaved and the brake pedal became very soft, and went almost to the floor. Nearly all braking ability was lost.

- Sparta, WI, USA

Dec 312018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving 45 mph, the brake pedal was applied, but felt spongy. The vehicle failed to respond and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard when depressed. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The local dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 99,900. The VIN was not available.

- Mckinley, TX, USA

Oct 232018

Fusion

While in motion the brakes go to the floor after hitting and uneven road surfaces (pothole, R/R tracks) while braking causing the vehicle to not stop till after the desired stoping location or after passing through stop/red lights, or not being able to safety make a desired turn. After said event it takes days sometimes weeks for the brake system to return to ┐normal┐ feel. The brakes continue to feel spongy and the pedal has to be pushed further down in order to stop

- Hopewell, VA, USA