Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

Feb 012014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired, but the failure recurred. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 10,033.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Mar 112014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving at 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 208,000.

- Blue Island, IL, USA

Jan 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

Cables for throttle and cruise control are routed in such a way that they are rubbing against other parts and their insulation is wearing out. I spotted this just as the sheath was being bit into and have rerouted. It is likely that both cables would have eventually have been cut through. Additionally, contrary to NHTSA findings that there were no crashes due to stuck throttles on 2005-2006 Taurus, there is evidence here that there has been: www.taurusowners.com/topic/3377-possible-Taurus-recall/.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Feb 012009

Taurus

Car keeps accelerating when I let up on gas pedal, also accelerates by it's self once I release break at stop. If I put in neutral and revev engine few times it goes back to normal RPM. Almost got me T-boned this evening!

- Okc, OK, USA

Jan 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact also stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 04/10/15 updated 11/5/2015

- Farmington, MI, USA

Oct 032014

Taurus

My 2004 Ford Taurus accelerated on its own quite a few times. After goggling the problem I saw that there had been a recall. I called Ford & was told my car wasn't included in the recall. They also told me to get it fixed because it could be dangerous. I know that because I was almost in a few accidents because of the sudden acceleration. I'd have to pull over, if not at a red light or stop sign, put the car in park & hit the accelerator a few times. I actually had to turn the car off & back on once to get the rpms down. I had the cruise control cable totally removed. The cruise hadn't worked in yrs. My mom owned the car before I did. I'd like to know why my Taurus wasn't in the recall.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Taurus 6-cyl

When I drive, the gas pedal will get stuck and either stay at the speed without me setting cruise control or it may accelerate on its own. To get it loose, I have to jiggle the gas pedal (which can be very dangerous especially while driving), this usually stops the problem but I'm concerned that someday it will stop working and I won't be able to control this anymore. If I put the car in park or neutral it increases the RPM from 1 to 3 or 4. also if the RPM are increased while in park it makes it super hard to shift to drive and is stressful to my transmission.

- Wichita , KS, USA

Aug 142013

Taurus 6-cyl

The plastic bracket that attaches the cruise control cable assembly to the throttle is defective it slips off the throttle and gets caught causing the throttle to stay open.. this has caused my car to continue accelerating with my foot on the gas pedal to speeds in excess of 50 mph... braking is difficult because the car is continuing to accelerate.. this is causing stress on my braking system... I had a brother who was nearly killed in an accident because of a similar issue on a different vehicle.. the Ford reps I have talked to are aware of the issue yet Ford refuses to issue a safety recall.. are the waiting to be the next "GM" in the news.. waiting until people are killed instead of being proactive...

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. When the brake pedal was depressed, the throttle would continue to rev intermittently. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the mechanic stated that the control cables detached from the throttle body and subsequently interfered with the throttle fully closing to the idle position. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 022014

Taurus

I was accelerating after being stopped at a red light and noticed the car kept accelerating after taking my foot off the pedal. I applied the brake and it continued to accelerate after removing the brake. I put the vehicle in neutral and it went up to 3000rpm. I put it back in drive and the car corrected once drive was re-engaged. The cruise control in the car will not turn on and if it does it will not set an acceleration. The problem was noted earlier in the year but pushed off as a fluke. Then after doing research I see that most Taurus' have this same problem. When I contacted Ford they will not fix the problem because there is no recall. This is a huge safety concern and should be issued a recall. Perhaps if there is an accident there will be more investigation into the problem.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 152014

Taurus

This has happened to me a couple of times already. I was driving behind my boyfriend we where headed to his house, and my car started accelerating at a fast unusual pace. He stopped in front of me at a stop light, and as I was pressing on my brakes there was a couple of loud clunks coming from inside my engine. I was just riding my brakes, luckily the car was able to slow down and come to a stop. When the light turned green, it was behaving normally. I've looked this up, and noticed that this was a recurring problem with almost all models of Ford Taurus. Yet there is no recall? I hope you realize how dangerous this problem actually is, and I hope that something is done about it soon.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Jul 242014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while she drove up an incline the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The local mechanic performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the cruise control clip attached to the throttle body failed. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer disconnected the cruise control cable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 166,000.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Mar 142014

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving on interstate and the cruise control started speeding up would not stop and when brakes applied it continued to rev the engine. I stopped the auto and it was still racing and squealing tires. Turned vehicle off then sat for awhile turned engine on and it took off again with engine racing and tires squealing as I sat in parking lot with foot on break. Finally after sitting for some time the cruise no stopped working all together and I am able to drive car but cruise no longer works and the gas pedal sticks at times now and I have to double tap to release.

- St Joseph , MO, USA

Feb 032014

Taurus

The car jumps when stopped at a light. You have to leave plenty of room between cars or it will jump into a car. Also, we have had to replace the alternator and battery several times. The alternator was 3 times and the battery 5 times. All of the sudden out cruise control went out and after that is when the jumping started. Hard to start and it jumps while idling in park as well as all other gears. Transmission replace 4 years ago.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 182014

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle unexpectedly gained speed while backing out of driveway causing collision with mailbox before car could be brake to stop. Prior to this the vehicle speed would remain constant when foot was removed from accelerator pedal while driving at approximately 35mph then the car gained speed on its own. Vehicle was able to be brought under control by braking even as the idle surged. Vehicle was taken to autonation Ford of katy where they diagnosed "rolling idle from proportioning valve leaking at back of intake" as the cause. Work was not performed because our son who happened to be in town saw that the cruise control cable had become detached from the throttle. My son reattached the cable and there have not been any further issues with a stuck idle or unattended acceleration.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and continued to do so even after the contact removed her foot from the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Jun 162014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerate independently without any warnings. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the cruise control disconnected and became lodge on the throttle. As a result, the cruise control needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 148,000 and the current mileage was 148,035.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

May 262014

Taurus 6-cyl

Have owned this car for 1 week. While replacing the spark plugs, found the cruise control cable was not connected to the throttle, which explained why the cruise didn't work. Reconnected the cable. On a test-drive, had the cruise set at 50. In testing the 3 right-side cruise buttons (resume, set, coast) the car accelerated past 65 on its own. "off" button and brake pedal did not disconnect cruise system. Rode the brakes to a stop and shut the engine off. Started the engine and it revved up to 3,000 without my foot on the pedal. Engine returned to normal idle speed after a blip or two on the gas pedal. Carefully drove home and checked - the cruise cable had come undone from the throttle again. Unintended acceleration of this model should be a recall issue before someone gets hurt.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Mar 122014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated while driving various speeds and depressing the accelerator pedal it became stuck intermittently. The failure was not diagnosed by a mechanic. Both the dealer and manufacturer were made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Oct 112013

Taurus 6-cyl

When accelerating at about 40 mph the cruise control would not work when I tried to engage it, however the car began speeding up quickly while my foot was off the gas peddle. I tried to engage/disengage the cruise control but got no response, except the engine RPM and car was still speeding up, the car was getting close to 60mph and I began putting on the brakes the car was still trying to accelerate and RPM still going up as I was stopping the car. This car continues to accelerate faster on it's own when driven and today 5/19/14 again from about 35 to 50 in about a mile, this was not as severe as the first time but is troubling and a waste of my gas and brakes. This is a Taurus sel with automatic trans. And a 3.9L V6 engine. I found the cruise control cable off of the lever it connects to near the intake manifold( after reading about other Taurus models/years with the same problem). I will be contacting a Ford dealer to see if they have a fix as cable is still very loose after I tried to reconnect it.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA