9.0

$2,373.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (51 reports)
  2. Ford should recall it (33 reports)
  4. completely rebuilt (15 reports)
  5. got rid of vehicle (8 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Windstar:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Apr 252011

Windstar

another one bites the dust,reverse,no forward !!!! just bought the piece of sh*t for my wife,$8,000.00 @ a buy here pay here as is no warranty drove it 5 days! they will have it "fixed" and add it to the tail end of my loan, from what I've read on this site I wonder if I should, its just going to happen again.also just found a receipt in the glove box this isn't the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Fairborn, OH, USA

May 012011

Windstar LX 2.8L V6

Like everyone else I was stopped at a red light, when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator, heard a loud bang and nothing in drive, first, or 2nd. I, like the others, could only move in reverse. Just parked it for the night, going to try and get it towed to the shop tomorrow. If it's not worth the repair, I will trade her in.

- , Portland, ME, USA

Apr 092011

Windstar LX 3.8L

Let me start off by saying I'm done with ford. My children and I were in the middle of a busy intersection on my way to my sons karate tournament when we herd a boom and it felt like someone hit me. There were no warning signs, the car shifted a little hard when on a incline. We could of been killed. When a problem like this affects this many consumers it needs to be dealt with by ford. I hope ford realizes that this isn't the kind of customer service that is going to get people to buy American cars. My car will be sold soon and I'm going with a Honda

- , Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 192011

Windstar LX 3.2L V6

I bought my Winstar used with 67k miles on it . The van originaly belonged to an elderly lady, and she had it serviced reguarly. I thought I was getting a good deal, surely it would last another 100k miles. Well at 88k miles, the tranny went out. WOW ! Its hard to believe that Ford an American car company would build a van that wont even make it to 100k miles.without needing a major repair that cost more than the thing is worth. Ford should stand up and take responseabilty for selling the Windstar with a faulty transmission. To many people are having the same problem for it not to be faulty . Im a family man who can barely make ends meet as it is. Why should I have to pay for Fords misstake?

- , Pegram, TN, USA

Mar 062011

Windstar

I bought the ford Winstar in 2008 I have ended up paying 12,000.00 for this vehicle after everything is said and done. I have four young children and have been left without a vehicle for almost a year with all of the problems that I have had. The transmission has been replaced three times and the motor three times. I feel that Ford should put a recall on the transmission after reading some of these complaints on this website. Right now I have three recalls on my van but cant get the van any where to have them done. This is the worst vehicle I have every owned and I have owned some pretty bad vehicles. Ford needs to help us out and fix the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Wolcott, NY, USA

Mar 142011

Windstar SE 3.8L

I bought this van used 1.5 months ago from a guy on craigslist. I had it looked at by a local garage and they said it had a rear main seal leak, but otherwise not bad. So I bought it for $2K. Since then, the OD light would flash periodically, and several other things started going wrong (brake warning light on, Check engine light, ABS light). Driving to work yesterday, the car started shimmying and would not go very fast. I made it to work, but barely. Parked it in a spot. Would not go in reverse at this point or 1st gear. When restarting, it would grind/rev endlessly until I shut it down. So now I am out 2K and am going to buy a foreign car. Maybe I can just scrap this one.

- , Urbana, OH, USA

May 092008

Windstar LX

Hi, I guess I have officially joined the "Ford Sucks" club. I purchased our 2000 Windstar new and kept up with ALL of the maintenance just to have my transmission fail in the middle of a busy intersection loaded with kids. Nice job Ford. I have stood by Ford through many bad experiences trying to support American automotive industry. I can no longer afford to sustain the burden. They have officially converted me, I now own a Honda and am very happy.

I have a few friends that are mechanics and when I told them about my transmission they all stated that it was the "sun gear", wow...all of them said the same thing. I also spoke to my father's neighbor who is now a retired Ford mechanic and he said immediately that it was the "sun gear". When I questioned him further he informed me that he saw it all the time when he was working with this year and model. Upon contacting a transmission shop to have a rebuild put in, the man on the phone told me it was probably the "sun gear". This really got me mad so I contacted Ford and explained my concerns and told them that there should be a recall. They basically stated that there is nothing they can do about it and that this "transmission problem" is not a problem that they hear about often which was Bull***". What are the odds of little ole me knowing 4 mechanics and they all said it was the same problem. (not to mention all of the complaints on this website) Upon examination of the transmission the tranny guy showed us the broken gear . Apparently there are welds that hold the gear in place and they break frequently. REALLY FORD??? So all of you out there that are considering buying a Ford, think again. I wish everyone would get together and do a class action suit.

- , Sewickley, PA, USA

Sep 152003

Windstar LS 3.6L V6

I hope this will help Ford see that doing things right the first time will pay off in the end. Just past the 36,000 mile warranty at 41,000 miles my wife pulled out into traffic, heard a loud bang and stopped moving. She was able to move off the road in reverse. Luckily no one was hurt. I had mentioned to the Ford mechanics earlier that I thought the van sounded funny when it shifted but they had told me that that was how it sounded normally. I took their word for it and chalked the tranny failure up to bad luck. I see now that the transmission is probably a bad design. ps. I had the tranny repaired and the rebuilt lasted until yesterday at 171,000 miles. The rebuilts are better but still not a deal at $3,500. I promised myself and Ford back in 2003 that I would not buy another Ford vehicle. That decision has just been reinforced.

- , Rice, MN, USA

Dec 312010

Windstar LX

On a way to a wedding new years eve, I stopped at a stop sign and when I stepped on the gas I hear a loud bang/thump under the car and the car would barely move forward. I tried 1,2,D and they all would not work. Reverse works fine. Still sitting in parking lot I nursed it into until I get it towed. I am the original owner and have had it maintained on regular basis for the life of the car. No warning that there were any problems with the transmission. I had just driven 5 miles with several stops and starts. With all the complaints about this vehicle on this site alone, Ford should do something about it. Transmissions should not fail on a regular basis at 80,000 miles as I have seen in this site. I hope someone looks into this problem and finds that Ford new of this problem and did nothing about it. Looks like a new car and not a Ford

- , Dixon, IL, USA

Aug 162010

Windstar 3.0

OMG so many complaints on yahoo, Google, and other websites!!!!! Wish I would have known it was going to break under 6 months of use!!!! I should have bought the extended warranty! First time that I never bought the extended warranty, however I believe my dealership should have helped me out! I have a $5000.00 paperweight!

- , Mcsherrystown, PA, USA

Oct 082010

Windstar SE 3.8L

Well like most I was driving my Wonderful Wind-star home . I took off from a stop sign heard and felt a jolt and suddenly no forward motion. Thankfully I was about .2 miles from home and reverse works. drove it home and parked it where it will sit till Ford or mother-nature fixes it. I'm sure the hell not going to. Had to borrow a friends car to attend my daughters wedding, It was great showing up in an ugly ass green tracker to my daughters most important day

- , Syracuse, New York, USA

Nov 092009

Windstar ES 3.2L V6

I purchased this vehicle used, it was a one owner just paid off through a reputable ford dealer. The van had roughly 96000 miles, I thought that was great for a used car. I did the car fax and had my own mechanic look it over everything was good.

A little over 22 months into payments, and 115,000 miles, I was running errands and had just left from making a payment on the van. I pulled into my local walmart and as I was attempting to park the van jerked hard and stopped in the middle of the road. It was busy and people weren't very sympathetic I was mortified. How the hell was I, 4'11" 120lbs, supposed to push this "bus" out of the way? Eventually some good Samaritans pushed it and thank god for geico who towed it 15min to my house.

I paid the vehicle off a few months later at income tax time only to be told that the dealer would replace it at cost to me. I found this website while researching repairs for the transmission. Now that I see a lot have had to be replaced twice I think I'll pass. I have contacted ford but I feel that may have been a wasted effort lol but it was worth a try. I paid $8600, buy here pay here leave it there, I put roughly 20,000 miles on the van wow what a deal !? I have purchased better and more reliable out of someones front yard. I paid $1500 for a 1990 honda civic hatch back with 175000miles on it and drove it for 4 years before my family grew, which led to this disaster purchase. That was my first and last ford purchase. YOU SUCK FORD!!! BUY A HONDA!!!

- , Bridgeville, DE, USA

Sep 162010

Windstar 3.8L

had my pregnant daughter with me, stopped at a stop sign thank god...heard a loud clunk wouldnot go into any gear except reverse havent had it looked at yet going through a bankruptcy right now noooo money husband sick and waiting for a hip replacement so he's not able to help don' know where to turn anymore DISGUISTED IN MICHIGAN.......THANKS FORD MOTOR CO

- , Ishpeming, MI, USA

Jul 102010

Windstar 3.8L

My wife and I with our 4 kids was on our way home from Omaha when the o/d light started flashing. We stopped at the nearest town checked the fluid, it was a little low so I added enough to bring it up to full. We made it another 60 miles before it went out. I bought another transmission didnt last. So I bought another as soon as it gets put in it will be sold and I will never buy another FORD

- , Central City, NE, USA

May 302007

Windstar SE 3.8L

Had the car 2 yrs, dropped my son off at daycare and backed out of the driveway. When I put it in gear it made a loud aweful sounding clunk and I had no forward. I still had reverese. Had to be towed. huge issue with extended warranty company....21 days later and two more transmissions later...I finally had a running car...and they had a $4500 bill (completely different gripe about the company). Shouldn't have gone out in the first place

- , Wausau, WI, USA

Sep 262010

Windstar SE

The van has been acting up and we called Ford and mentioned how hard it is to shift if it is on a slight incline or decline. They said that was normal for the Ford Windstars. I took it to the dealer for a recall issue and while I was there, mentioned all the things its been doing like jerking and reving and pulling forward and backwards without hitting the gas. Ford guy at Dale Jarret Ford in Charlotte, NC gave us an analysis based on what his wife's car did. He said it would be the alternator to the tune of $350. We took it somewhere else and they said the alternator was just fine.

Today as we came home the car made a loud noise and came to a stop. The van goes in reverse but will not engage to go forward. Thanks a lot Ford Guy. Did your wife's car do the same thing? Now we are without a car... Is there a recall on this?? 704-970-6463

- , Matthews, NC, USA

Sep 012010

Windstar SEL V6

The car was leaking transmission fluid so I took it in to get looked out. Upon taking out the pan they noticed ALOT of metal shavings. Looking at a complete rebuild upwards of $2500, not worth it imo (not since it also has TONS of other issues). I traded it in to the same dealer that sold the piece of crap to me.

If you notice any leaking or jerking of the car upon acceleration get it looked out before it's too late to make it someone else's problem :o)

- , Batavia, Ohio, USA

Jun 082010

Windstar 3.2L V6

I have had several problems with this van. The overdrive light intermittantly flashes. Then my 16 year old son drove the van and was getting ready to pull out into traffic and the car would not go into a forward gear. It will go into reverse. I'm looking for a used or rebuilt transmission. My can't be rebuilt. Can a 1999 or 1998 model work in a 2000? I don't think I will go with Ford again.

- , Soddy Daisy, TN, USA

Aug 102010

Windstar LX 3.8L

Car was running bumpy and O/D off light was flashing. Went to Ford, transmission broken, replacing it would be $3400. Ford should recall the Windstar and repair it for free!!

- , Boston, MA, USA

Aug 092010

Windstar LX 3.8L

After the O/D OFF light started flashing on our van, I took it to a transmission shop. THey ran a scan on it and it showed no transmission codes, just a couple engine codes. So I went to the engine guy. he said they weren't a big deal, that if it was his vehicle he would just drive it as is. I told him about the tranny issues and that the transmission guy said that the engine issues could cause the tranny trouble. The engine guy said no, not likely.

I went to leave for work that night and I had no transmission. Nothing. Second POS Windstar that had tranny issues. We won't be getting a Ford again!!

- , Gilbert, MN, USA