Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

Jul 062010

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light and brake light started coming on. Now they come on all the time.

- Reva, VA, USA

May 052014

Windstar

Car bought in March 2014 from used car dealership. ABS light and brake light started coming on in May. Mechanic told me that this is a problem with the ECM and getting it replaced is costly. If I chose to replace it, the issue may occur again because Ford has not resolved the issue on the actual part. Brake failure concerns me because I have two children under 4 years of age in the car with me most of the time. This past weekend, the brakes did not respond when I decelerated. I had to put the car in park and shut off the engine to stop it. Ford needs to look into resolving this major problem asap, as no driver should have to be worried that their brakes will fail while driving.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 252014

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS lights come on intermittently, the brakes are brand new, the ABS light now stays on..

- Edgerton, WI, USA

Jul 132014

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS and brakes lights have been coming on at different times for my 2002 Ford Windstar for a long while, and stay on now that it is summer. I have tried to fix this problem on two occasions and changed the bad ECM with a new one and the problem has returned both times only after a few months. I made a left turn at about 5 mph with the two lights on and when I applied the brakes at the completion of the turn to stop at a red light the brakes seized and the car continued moving slowly into on coming traffic while making a metal grinding noise. I was able to quickly put the car in park to stop it right under the light. I then turned the car off and back on and the lights went off and the brakes worked normally again. A few blocks later the ABS and brake lights came back on but the brakes didn't seize this time. This issue is dangerous and I had both my wife and children in the vehicle with me. Ford needs to recall these cars and build a ECM that will not expand during warm months causing the ABS system to fail. Mechanics have told me that this is a major issue with the Windstar.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 052013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on intermittently after 8/05/2013. Had brakes checked, pads/rotors/drums appeared, tested ok. Had brakes serviced (front pads/rotors replaced) 2/24/2014. Light for ABS came on again 07/01/2014. Light comes on and stays on. Turns off when restarting. Seems to only occur in summer months. Stopping distance seems to increase when ABS light is on!!!

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Feb 022010

Windstar

Brake lights, red + amber on the dash, are on almost constantly. Not a mechanical problem. Design failure in part 2F2Z-2C219-ba causing failure. I understand that the board expands and contacts with the heatsink plate the circuit board is attache to.

- Asheboro, NC, USA

Apr 242014

Windstar 6-cyl

Ford found that the rear axle had a hole in it causing the axle to shift to the right. Recall work was done a few years ago. They said it was my fault and would not pay. ABS and traction control light come on however reset when restarted. As of today they don't go off.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Jun 012014

Windstar 6-cyl

While driving the ABS and brake light will illuminate at the same time within the instrument cluster. While the lights are on, the ABS system is inoperable and braking distance is reduced. Problem is intermittent. When driving the problem will show up and after turning off the engine and restarting, the lights will go out. Issue happens again within a few days/week later.

- Limerick, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and break light come on when applying the breaks. Checked the break several time but there was nothing wrong.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 232014

Windstar 6-cyl

We continue to have issue with ABS and brake light kicking on randomly. When this happens brakes become tight, squeal. Brakes and system appears fine. Others have the same issue. They need to recall.

- Sparta, IL, USA

Sep 172013

Windstar

My ABS and brake lights have been coming on while driving and staying on for months. I am not sure if there is an issue with Ford Windstar in general or if there is an issue that causes this.

- St. Cloud, MN, USA

Jun 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS light will come "on" and brake light comes on a few seconds to a minute later while driving, brakes seem to work fine.

- Oelwein, IA, USA

Jan 142013

Windstar

Brake and ABS light on after vehicle is operated, parked briefly, and operated again. Problem occurs intermittently. Worse in hot weather. Problem has been on going for two years.

- Gibsonville, NC, USA

Jun 062012

Windstar

ABS light stays on, brake light occasionally comes on and eventually goes out but ABS stays on.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Jun 162014

Windstar

The ABS and brake lights wont go off. Technician says it is a dealer problem with all Windstar. Brake system could be in danger. Very worried about driving. Please issue a recall asap.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jun 152014

Windstar 6-cyl

From a stop, started making a left hand turn when the brake warning light and the ABS warning light came on. There may be a possible leak from the scds which could end up causing a fire. I will have it inspected.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Aug 282008

Windstar 6-cyl

Back in 2008 my ABS and brake lights would come on while driving to work. I had the problem looked at at my local Ford dealership. They diagnosed the problem as the ECU/hcu control box. But because my extended warranty did not want to pay for the $1200 bill because they felt that only the electronic side and not the hydraulic side needed to be replaced. So I then went to another Ford dealer and they diagnosed and replaced only the electronic side. There were 3 times that I had to pay the $100 deductible to have the same problem diagnosed, which was eventually fixed(no more lights) by the second dealer. Then in June of 2013, now with 116,563 miles on it, my gauge cluster started to act funny. All of a sudden when I was driving, the gauge needles would move out of control. Eventually the tac needle pegged itself all the way to the right and the speedometer quit working. I took it to the Ford dealer and they replaced the gauge cluster with a rebuilt one for $789. Since that time I have not had any more issues with the gauge cluster. I was told by the tech that this is a common problem with the Windstar. I also have a 2001 Ford Windstar that has 105,000 miles on it that I am thinking about selling so I don't have to endure the cost of a gauge cluster in it. Also along with having to replace fuel pumps in both vehicles at a cost of around $1000 each I am wondering if Ford has a good product. Thanks for your time.

- Middleton, WI, USA

May 172013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights on dash on due to ECU and hcu failure.

- Hilton , NY, USA

May 142014

Windstar

I lost control on the highway I was driving I hit a pothole and my car when its own way I was coming home from the hospital from just giving birth two day earlier and I kept hearing a weird noise so I took my car to the shop and they said it was the lower control arm.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Nov 012013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light are on, mostly stay on constantly. Braking distance suddenly increased. Brake pressure decreased also. Possible fire risk.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA