Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

Dec 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

Driving on highway at normal road conditions when the ABS and brake alert lights turned on. Vehicle was operational. Owners manual indicated that brake service was needed.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Nov 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

As the engine is warming up, at speed at 30 mph, the brake and ABS warning lights came on, the braking is losing the efficiency, it took longer distance to stop which could cause accident or serious safety issue. Worse if I were at higher speed. We would appreciate if defective parts could be repaired by Ford company as recall as I understand that this is common problem for many years.

- Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA

Sep 182012

ABS light and brake lite come on. I went to tire plus and they indicated that it was code "C1185". I called hoffman Ford in harrisburg, pa and they indicated that there was no recall for that code.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Oct 292012

Hello, the ABS light and E-brake light now come on and stay on for extended periods of time. Sometimes the lights will not come on, but then come on after I have been driving for a while.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 182012

Windstar 6-cyl

My ABS light is on and will not go off and speedometer wouldn't work properly when the weather was really warm, and just September 21st 2012 my car was not able to switch out of park, and on Oct.18th 2012 my brake light stop working all together. I have research this problem and there is a recall out on Ford Windstar 1998-2003 with the same problems. But when I called Ford 10/22/12 they check my VIN and stated that there was not a recall on my car only Ford Windstar van with parts made in Virginia. I don't understand why my car cant be repair at Ford expense when there is evidence that there I S a problem with the car.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 062012

Windstar 6-cyl

Though I've replace rear cylinders and brake pads (inside the rear drums) about one week ago (197,992), sometimes when I stop at an intersection or stop sign, with the parking brake off, the red "brake (!)" dash light comes on. When I resume movement, it goes off. I've been to my local Ford dealer and neither time have they fixed it (28 Sep & 4 Oct 12). I even had the entire hand brake assembly replaced. On-line sources lean towards ECU/hcu failure. I change all fluids every 25-30K; the last time the brake fluid was flushed was at 190,000 on 22 May 12. The front brake pads were replaced then, too. I have detailed maintenance records-I'm the original owner. My ABS light has not come on, yet.

- Arnold, MO, USA

Oct 042012

Windstar 6-cyl

We parked the van at walmart and when we started it back up the ABS and brake lights came on and stayed on until we shut down and restarted 2 times. It started doing it sporadically. We bought this van used, so we took it back to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and said that nothing was showing up and just reset the system. The lights had stayed off until Sunday, October 14th; they are now starting to come back on sporadically.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jun 062011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS warning light on, traction control and brake light also on I was told by the dealer the ABS module has failed.

- Madison, CT, USA

Oct 012010

Windstar 6-cyl

There are continued repeated intermittent failures of the ABS control module thus rendering the entire braking system and traction control system as unreliable. The incidents happen quite frequently and often appear related to the ambient air temperature. I have had my mechanics replace multiple wheel bearings and clear over 30 codes related to the failure of this component. This is basically rendering my vehicle as a significant safety risk for me and my family.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Sep 032012

Neighbor came by early and told me the brake lights were on. I went out to inspect but didn't see them on. Got in the car an hour later and noticed smoke and horrible "electrical" smell. I checked the entire car, but found nothing, when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Had my friend give me a jump, hooked up cables and sat in the Windstar for a minute, I then heard crackling and immediately smelled smoke. Under closer examination I found it was the center, upper brake light assembly completely melted, bulbs were contorted. Had the assembly replaced with a Ford part from dealer, three days later it happened again, so I removed bulbs before it completely melted. The center "third" brake light does not shut off, even when car is off, 12, strong volts to bulb socket, on or off! left and right brake lights work fine...for now. I have no doubt my car would have completely been destroyed, had it not been for the battery going dead.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Oct 032011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light stays on, now brake light comes on and goes off.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Jan 052012

Anti-lock brake light comes on intermittently, and while on, the anti-lock brakes do not work. Often the light just comes on for just a short period, then goes back out. Repair shop can't identify problem unless the light is on. I'm told this is a common problem with this make and model, probably the anti-lock brake sensor. Typically, when starting the car, the anti-lock brake light is not on, and the brakes work correctly. The light will come on and the anti-lock feature of the brakes will not work suddenly as you're driving. Bad situation in cleveland, Ohio in the winter.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Jun 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake lights and brake light turning on randomly and no issues with ABS.

- Necedah, WI, USA

Aug 312012

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS lights turn on at same time without an apparent cause, this happens after driving van 5 or less minutes at a low speed. Once the engine is turned off and restarted again, both lights remain off, and again, after driving the van for a short distance brake and ABS lights come on again.

- Plianfield, IL, USA

Sep 102012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake light and regular brake light comes on and stays on.

- Milford, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

The ABS and red brake and trac lights come on at the same time, stay on until I turn the car off. It will go for weeks than it comes on again, same thing. Its been almost going on for almost two years.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Sep 072010

Windstar 6-cyl

About 2 years ago I have noticed that the ABS and brake light would come on sometimes now after driving a few miles they come on constantly now. I spoke to a Ford service advisor and was told it would cost me over $600 to repair and that there was a recall only for certain states. This does not seem fair to other Ford owners to have to pay for something that Ford has a default on and seems to be a problem with in a lot of these vehicles. I can not afford this repair and I'm sure most people can not afford. Please look into this.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 272012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on while driving on highway 7/24/2012. Had ABS reset a week later. Then on 9/13/2012 while driving 30mph ABS and brake lights lite up. Stopped and checked brake fluid, all full. Restart engine and lights went out.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Apr 022011

Windstar 6-cyl

My 2002 Ford Windstar started to display the brake, traction control and ABS indicator lights, indicating that the ABS system was malfunctioning. This causes the traction control not to work, and the ABS to shut down. Standard brakes still function. At first, the lights would stay off for a period of time when I restarted the car. I would start to drive, then I might hit a bump in the road and the lights would reappear. Now, the 3 lights are on as soon as I start the car or within a few minutes of driving, with or without hitting a bump in the road. My mechanic stated that this is a common problem in Ford Windstar and that an ABS module needs to be replaced at an approx. Cost of $1500.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 012011

The antilock brake system light as well as the traction control lights keep coming on. Garage can't tell the exact cause. The booster arm busted, keeping the brakes engaged as driven. The booster arm was replaced and the lights are still on. I reset it, and they reappear after a short time. I now smell the brakes when applied. I've had engine replaced at 101,000 miles, two transmissions, multiple brake jobs, rear axle repaired, front axle repaired, front tie rods repaired. The alignment on my vehicle could only be partially completed.... toe, and another alignment done, but the complete alignment would need a hole drilled in the frame and a bolt moved over - bad design by Ford. I've also had to have the oxygen sensor replaced at my own expense. The vehicle is a ticking time bomb, piece of crap.

- Pomfret, MD, USA