Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Jul 082019

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving 40 mph, the gear shifted out of second into first gear on its own and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact also stated that, when in reverse, the vehicle seized. An independent mechanic test drove the vehicle and determined that the transmission failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to nelson hall Chevrolet (1811 S frontage rd, meridian, ms 39301, (601)-621-4324) where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was approximately 123,499.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Jun 192019

Acadia

I was experiencing problems driving my vehicle. It was riding rough and making a loud noise when I accelerated, so I took it to my mechanic and I got spark plugs and an oil change-still was riding rough. I went back and got a cam shaft position replaced-still nothing changed. I took it to another mechanic. He said it was an O2 censor. Changed it and nothing changed. No one could tell me what was wrong or what the noise was. Finally one morning on my way to work I had to pull over on the highway bc the car wouldn┐T accelerate. Got it towed to a different mechanic and that's when I found out it was the timing chain. After doing some research I was getting quotes for $2000-$2500. Finally one place told me to see if there was a recall. I called GMC. They said there is a recall on the timing chain. They connected me with a local GMC dealer who informed me after evaluating my vehicle that it's out of warranty and 5000 miles over the limit. Well I┐M still paying for this vehicle and I owe $5000 on it. Clearly I was sold a lemon but what are my options now?

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Mar 242019

Acadia

Takara recall well my truck just stop changing gears on Sunday nite 03/24/19 I was getting off about to drive out of the parking lot when I saw the RPM hand go up but didnt come back down I knew something was wrong then it didn't change at all I drove 20 all way home with my flashers on and almost got ran over

- Lyons, MS, USA

Dec 122018

Acadia

Dec 2018 my Acadia was left at the service department of whitmore Chevrolet in West point va 23181 for a diagnosis. My vehicle ran when I left it there. Over a month later including illegal activity in the service department I get my vehicle back and it is dead. I would start my vehicle and drive away sometime stopping soon or randomly on the road. It's done that several times. I have three children too. I need my vehicle looked at and the possible recalls fixed. I am without transportation and it's unbearable. I am a mother of three wonderful sons and we need our vehicle to run please!!!my review is in the pictures as well

- King William, VA, USA

Dec 292018

Acadia 4-cyl Diesel

The torque converter failed while driving down the highway, was left stranded on the highway in winter while in nd. The vehicle is very well maintained. Vehicle has 105,000 miles on the odometer. I have been told by a GM dealer that this is a very common problem with the Acadia.

- Canby, MN, USA

Oct 222018

Acadia

I leased my 2009 GMC Acadia almost 2 years ago, it has been a nightmare. I bought as is so dealer would not return my calls that had anything to do with problems. First, not even 3 weeks after I leased the vehicle the electrical system started to go, my driver window stopped working, my back hatch well I can't even open it because there is no key to open nor is there a button anywhere the mechanics said I need to take it to an electrical mechanic...wonder how much that will cost?, my stabiltrak system constantly flashes. The engine burns up too much oil even after an oil change within 3weeks I need to put oil, I do not drive far nor alot. To work and back. It will cost more to fix this truck than what it is worth now I'm stuck with $5,000 left on a vehicle that is a piece of poop. When I drive the truck pulls as if the engine cannot get the truck going. I can't turn off the truck while putting gas because the vehicle wont turn over once the gas has been put in and started. The mechanic said its the trans evap system. I dont understand how GMC can get away with manufacturing vehicles like this with no concern for the customers.

- Ingleside, IL, USA

Sep 242018

Acadia

The vehicle was stationary, will start but it doesn┐T recognize that it has or cords aren┐T connecting and it won┐T shift into any gear-just makes a clicking sound-shift lever. Lift gate/back hatch won┐T stay up and keeps falling down. Power/electrical issues involving the transmission was driving, at a red light and the vehicle just stopped working and I couldn┐T even get it started again. There has been ongoing issues with this vehicle.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Aug 132018

Acadia

My clock spring broke causing the cruise control to stop, my suspenion on my car is going out at 167,000 miles maling the car ride horribly, and apparently there is a problem with the wave plate in the transmission there have been multiple complaints about this problem but noone wants to do anything I was driving the moments these occured

- Gay, GA, USA

Sep 152017

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While the vehicle was idling at a stop sign, the engine independently revved and the rpms increased. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. Also, when the gear shifter was placed in reverse, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission was rebuilt with upgraded parts. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was advised to call NHTSA to file a complaint. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Seminary, MS, USA

Apr 102017

Acadia

I bought the car on March 21st of 2017 car seemed to be running and driving fine( shifting and driving smooth) and on April 10th 2017 I was on my way to work I have a approx 12 mile drive one way commute to my work place and I noticed all of the sudden whn trans was shifting gears it would slip a little bit so I drove it in a manner to where the slipping was minimal and after work when I put in reverse it was slipping worse than what it was that morning in drive I drove it home so at most from the time the problem started it was drove less than 20 miles but by the time I got home two blocks away from my house I stopped at a stop sign and trans completely stopped pulling car would not move at all luckily I was on small incline and there was no other vehicles behind me so I was able to put in reverse and get the car out of the road so I called the car lot where I had bought the car and they said to not get to exited that it could just B a sensor something small that they would send a tow truck to pick it up and take to mechanic shop and we go from there we'll now on April 12 we was told that the transmission is completely shot and it was could B upwards to 3500$ for used transmission that had 76kmiles that also includes installation of transmission I'm not comfortable with paying that much for used transmission that I don't know what I'm getting and also no warranty on or guarantee I bought the the car as is but I traded in my 03 Tahoe still a very dependable SUV and I also put 5000 $ cash down on this Acadia and now this the dealer says he will need 2000$ up front and he will pay the rest of it and whatever that amount is that he would put it on top of what he had already financed because (he wants to help out) no help other than not having to come up with the whole 3500$ at once. Any advise on wht I should do or if this may B part of a recall on this vehicle

- Henderson, KY, USA

Mar 072017

Acadia

9/2014 at 93,000 miles transmission failed. Dealer confirmed GMC agreed to pay 60% of repair, but later after transmission, wave plate recall I was reimbursed. 2/2017 133,000 miles new replacement transmission is failing again in 3rd gear with same internal failure code per my service person.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jul 042016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving approximately 65 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power and the vehicle was unable to be driven over 40 mph. The stability traction control warning indicator illuminated. The dealer was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. In addition, while driving highway speeds, "engine hot" and "A/C off" appeared on the instrument panel. The contact noticed smoke under the hood. The vehicle was coasted over to the shoulder of the road and turned off. The vehicle was unable to be driven due to the failure and was towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the part. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and indicated that they also had campaigns that needed to be addressed. The timing chain needed to be replaced, there was a loss of power steering assist, and the transmission cutlet leave plate failed. There were no recalls. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Alburtis, PA, USA

Sep 132016

Acadia

Transmission failure at 105,000 miles car is being repaired bobs transmission, grand rapids, Michigan

- Rockford, MI, USA

Aug 062015

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While the vehicle was parked, the contact attempted to exit the vehicle and it rolled backwards. The contact fell and the vehicle rolled over his body. The contact sustained a fractured tibia, fractured pelvis, punctured lungs, and seven fractured ribs. Medical attention was required. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V073000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 10/26/16

- Sun City, CA, USA

Mar 152015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave plate in the transmission was too thin and caused the transmission to fail. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,046.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jul 012014

Acadia

2 months after I bought my vehicle used I have had to replace ignitions coils, so many recalls and only had some replaced cuz of being told they don't have the part in store at the dealerships. The electrical system for heat and A/C don't match up when turning the knob and the defrost doesn't work 3/4 of the times. I get flashes of loss power and my tire monitoring system keeps acting up. Now my engine and transmission are failing and no one can tell me exactly what it is without paying $5000 for them to diagnostic it and take it apart!! where do I have that kind of money"? this vehicle was the worst $16000 I have ever invested in and have only had it less that 2 years!! I am scared on a daily basis to drive my kids anywhere in it let alone myself to work. I so wish I would've kept my Jeep Grand Cherokee but we need more room for travel. Well you can't travel in something that's unsafe and unreliable. GMC won't call or respond back and either will the dealership. Lemon law in Michigan is for new vehicles only so I am basically paying for something I can't drive and I can't afford to fix. What do I do?"

- Midland, MI, USA

Oct 092015

Acadia

I took my 09 GMC Acadia to the GM auto to fix the transmission and they told me they can not fix unless I pay the $2043 to fix my power steering, but I believe its all related to that power steering failure that is cover under the GM policy. And its the same problem to all the Acadia that are out there so I suggest the GM to fix all GMC Acadia without any cost to all the owneri if they fix it right we wouldn't complaint at all

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Apr 262015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While attempting to park, the vehicle rolled forward while in reverse. The contact stated that the vehicle did the same thing while in the drive position. The vehicle would roll backwards with the vehicle in the drive position. The contact had to slam on the brake pedal and engage the emergency brake in order to get the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to specifications. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Jan 202014

Acadia 6-cyl

My wife was driving with children when transmission completely went out..the car was completely erratic and wife was able to safe area but not without significant risk to family. Only 1 year and a few months later, I'm driving and the transmission started to fail again with family in car.. after reviewing online, this is a blatant recurring themes with Acadias and we have now been at risk twice.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Feb 132015

Acadia 6-cyl

I was leaving work and noticed a shudder in the vehicle. Didn't think much of it at the time. When I got about 2 miles from my home the vehicle seemed to loose power. Engine would rev but could not get much speed out of it. Made it home and had vehicle towed to dealer next day. Dealer diagnosed issue as 3-5-R wave plate in the transmission broke. Ended up costing over $5,300 to replace transmission. After repairs I did some research and saw that there were hundreds (from the few websites I visited..there are probably many more) of complaints by consumers who owned 2008 through 2011 Acadias as well as other general motor corporation (GMC) vehicles that had the same issue with the wave plate failing. Called GMC and they told me since the repair work was already done there was nothing they could do. Apparently from reading all the posts GM is aware of the issue but did nothing about it. My bigger issue is what if this occurred on the highway in the middle of winter and we were left stranded? this could have been a serious issue and potentially put lives in danger if traveling on the highway or remote locations. GMC should be held accountable for this manufacturing defect and should extend the warranty on vehicles with these types of transmissions and reimburse all of us who had to shell out our hard earned money to get the vehicle repaired.

- Hofman Estates, IL, USA