Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Jul 022019

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of acceleration and power. The contact veered to the shoulder of the road and attempted to restart the vehicle. The vehicle failed to restart and all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the timing chain failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 138,000.

- Walker, MI, USA

Jun 192019

Acadia

I was experiencing problems driving my vehicle. It was riding rough and making a loud noise when I accelerated, so I took it to my mechanic and I got spark plugs and an oil change-still was riding rough. I went back and got a cam shaft position replaced-still nothing changed. I took it to another mechanic. He said it was an O2 censor. Changed it and nothing changed. No one could tell me what was wrong or what the noise was. Finally one morning on my way to work I had to pull over on the highway bc the car wouldnżT accelerate. Got it towed to a different mechanic and that's when I found out it was the timing chain. After doing some research I was getting quotes for $2000-$2500. Finally one place told me to see if there was a recall. I called GMC. They said there is a recall on the timing chain. They connected me with a local GMC dealer who informed me after evaluating my vehicle that it's out of warranty and 5000 miles over the limit. Well IżM still paying for this vehicle and I owe $5000 on it. Clearly I was sold a lemon but what are my options now?

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Jan 022019

Acadia

100% of everyone I have talked to that have had the same car as me have had the timing chain break. And the amplifier go out because of leaking through the door and frying the amplifier. So no sound in my car at all.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Dec 022018

Acadia

P0017 and P0008 error codes: My wife loves her Acadia! dealership has done recalls, replaced rack and pinion and ps pump. I am close to positive that ECM has been modified to shorten oil change, to not define a chain potential failure that sends an error code, and update software to allow for more "slop" in clearance specs so that chain issues are concealed until a critical failure of equipment. At 121K I dropped cradle down to repair/replace wave plate. Plate was good as new. Must have gotten a "good" plate. Now at about 140K I have the P0017 and P0008 codes. Engine not responding accelerator wise as before. I am going back to dealer and ask to see service record of what was done to engine. I know I will just be wasting my time. To cover up a problem by messing with parameters on an engine to fool a customer is close to being dishonest, and that is what's happening with the chains. If all else fails at the dealership, and they send me away, I will park the Acadia in the garage and do my best to replace the chains and gears with the engine in vehicle. I have no way to drop the engine out. I can't afford $4000 for the dealership to do it. GM, I have always been a loyal fan on your vehicles, and have only owned Chevy's and GMC's since 1965, never owned any other brand, except a 1947 Jeep universal that I put a small block in, but this Acadia transmission/engine issue might just test our relationship in the future. What I have read on social media, these codes are popping up all over the place, and GM is not caring, even tho they now have a 10 yr/120,000 coverage. I am beginning to think that this issue will never be resolved in favor of the customer. Design problem and poor back valve cover venting. GM, you can do the right thing here.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Dec 122018

Acadia

Dec 2018 my Acadia was left at the service department of whitmore Chevrolet in West point va 23181 for a diagnosis. My vehicle ran when I left it there. Over a month later including illegal activity in the service department I get my vehicle back and it is dead. I would start my vehicle and drive away sometime stopping soon or randomly on the road. It's done that several times. I have three children too. I need my vehicle looked at and the possible recalls fixed. I am without transportation and it's unbearable. I am a mother of three wonderful sons and we need our vehicle to run please!!!my review is in the pictures as well

- King William, VA, USA

Jan 092019

Acadia

Service engine soon light comes and goes, took to mechanic and diagnosed with P0017 code. Cam shaft problem, mechanic put new part on and service light came back on. The problem now is timing chain and then get a new engine on a car that has approx 140,000 miles. The car experiences a jitter while driving and won't accelerate or lags when gas pedal is pushed.

- Farmers Branch, TX, USA

Jan 232019

Acadia

Bought the car on Feb. 28, 2018. Found out on January 23, 2019 that it needs a new engine. This is now the 2nd GMC Acadia we bought in less than two years that needs a new engine. That is not right. We have now spent over $20K for two cars we currently don't have a working car. The last car I bought was a 2010 GMC and I was driving the car on the highway and smoke started coming out of the engine. Later it was determined that the engined died - there was never ever warning lights or warning that there was trouble with the car. Both cars have the 3.6L sidi vg engine. Our auto place said they are having a hard time finding that engine because many people need that engine for the exact same problem. Can not be a coincidence. I have contacted GMC and they don't care.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Dec 272018

Acadia

GMC has a special safety recall on their timing chains but provided no help when dealerships fail to notify you before the warranty is out even when you are complaining. When driving the vehicle refuses to move and the rpms just go up. GMC tells you to go back to the dealership that failed to find it to get your money back. Passenger front air bag turns on with little weight to no weigh there! mc danials in marion, Ohio was able to find thatbthey lose calibration and need re calibrated.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Sep 292018

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. While driving 55 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle misfired. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was fluid inside the engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 151,000.

- Bluffton, IN, USA

Nov 052018

Acadia

The passenger front seat airbag turns on with no one and nothing in the seat. I have been made aware that electrical devices can turn it on but this is not the case, I can have nothing in the seat and it turns on and dings while driving which is a distraction. As for the engine, I have a check engine light one which makes it where the remote start will not work. When we pulled the codes it comes back to the the timing chain which is a known issue because they have a service bulletin out on it.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Oct 222018

Acadia

I leased my 2009 GMC Acadia almost 2 years ago, it has been a nightmare. I bought as is so dealer would not return my calls that had anything to do with problems. First, not even 3 weeks after I leased the vehicle the electrical system started to go, my driver window stopped working, my back hatch well I can't even open it because there is no key to open nor is there a button anywhere the mechanics said I need to take it to an electrical mechanic...wonder how much that will cost?, my stabiltrak system constantly flashes. The engine burns up too much oil even after an oil change within 3weeks I need to put oil, I do not drive far nor alot. To work and back. It will cost more to fix this truck than what it is worth now I'm stuck with $5,000 left on a vehicle that is a piece of poop. When I drive the truck pulls as if the engine cannot get the truck going. I can't turn off the truck while putting gas because the vehicle wont turn over once the gas has been put in and started. The mechanic said its the trans evap system. I dont understand how GMC can get away with manufacturing vehicles like this with no concern for the customers.

- Ingleside, IL, USA

May 152018

Acadia

Cam actuator went bad makes the car sound like a tractor starts up very loud and motor sounds horrible engine makes exhaust pipes very loud. Very loud engine period.

- Quincy, IL, USA

May 132018

Acadia

Engine will not shut down when key is removed and cruise control isn't working

- Belle Glade, FL, USA

Apr 302018

• 1,598,879 miles
Took vehicle to local GMC dealer for check engine light, at 159,879 miles. Dealer says timing chain is making noise and going bad. Estimated repair cost, $3,600. Noise is heard when engine is started and subsides a little when driving.

- Chester, VA, USA

Apr 302018

Acadia

2009 GMC Acadia. Consumer writes in regards to loss of engine power, steering wheel power and faulty brakes. The consumer the liftgate and lamp were repaied under recall, but the failure continued. The consumer did not recieve notification for the recalls concerning the engine, transmission, and timing chain.

- Burton, MI, USA

Sep 282017

Acadia

The 3.6L engines have an issue with timing chains going bad, possibly breaking.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Oct 082017

Acadia

The car began misfiring shortly after I purchased it. Had it repaired. Spark plugs and fuel injector caps replaced. It's been less than 6 months and again the check engine light is on and the car will not shift gears or accelerate. Extremely dangerous to N the expressway. I drive my children in this car! car threatens to die when attempting to accelerate.

- Ludlow, KY, USA

Sep 092017

Acadia

Takata recall: I'm having idle/stalling issues with my 2009 GMC Acadia. Car cuts off while driving causing a safety hazard. First, I had my car inspected by local licensed mechanic who diagnosed a timing chain issue and cat converter issue. I followed by call a GMC dealer and informing them of my car problems. They scheduled my car for an inspection since they have an extended warranty for timing chains. They inspected my vehicle and informed me since the timing chain wasn't making noises they wouldn't diagnose it as a problem. They released my car without fixing it and my car still cuts off and idles while driving. They also told me about many other issues found during the diagnostic totaling over $8000 in repairs. I called and complained to GMC and they informed me that their are actually many other additional parts warranty's/coverages that they have and may be able to assist me with. I find this very concerning as the GMC dealership refused to properly diagnose and service my vehicle, along with the fact that GMC has secret additional wanrranties/coverages that the general public doesn't know about my car was in the GMC dealer shop for 4 days and they refused to assist me with a loaner vehicle while my car was being inspected. They released my vehicle and now I'm back to square one with the same issues and new list of supposedly found car issues estimating over $8,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 012013

Acadia

Starting in winter, 2013, cylinder engine coils corroded, replacing #5, then #2 11/20/14, then #1 2/24/15, then #1 again 3/31/16, at which time #1 was full of water. 10/6/15: Parking brake alarm comes and alarms constantly with raining or after a rain. Car mostly garage kept, so a delay in symptoms compared to blogs. Sunroof, wind shield, parking brake no leaks found. Cyl 1,3,5 misfire codes& cat replaced. 2/2/16: Cat code again, not repaired. Sept.2015- rain entering pass.&driver at feet driving. Rust noted under left hood bolts. Hood hydraulic stick failed.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Aug 152016

Acadia

My car completely died while driving it a few months back. Just got it back after about 3 months, partial sucky dealership, partial back order issue. Turns out the sunroof leaked into the dash. Had to replace the body harness and something with the dash. $5100. I estimated on the date it happened because it's been awhile.

- Newnan, GA, USA