Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Jul 252013

Acadia 6-cyl

My Acadia has some problems with the power steering being "stiff" - or hard to turn in tight spots. (I.e., parking or close turns). I took it to my repairman today and asked him to check it out. He says that he has seen issues with other vehicles, including the Acadia and the enclave - this same issue. He started taking it apart and called me and said the entire power steering system, pump, rack N pinion steering, etc. Have to be replaced. He said he has had to do this in several other vehicles like this. He said that there were already metal shavings showing up. He told me that parts and labor would be around $1,100 to get this taken care of. He said it will just gradually get worse - it shouldn't go out all together all at once, but it would get worse. I have seen 25+ other complaints on this same problem with the same vehicles. When is GM going to do something about this. I have done regular maintenance on this vehicle all along. It has approx. 80,000 miles on it right now. Has been doing this for about a year - not bad - but he is right - getting a little worse all the time.

- Henderson, WV, USA

Jul 232013

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle is hard to turn at low speeds, particularly when parking. Seems as though power steering is not working. Took to dealer and was told that power steering pump went out and that steering gear/rack should also be replaced for $1800+. this is ridiculous on a vehicle that was purchased new and serviced every 3000, primarily at the dealership from which it was purchased. Given the other 23 complaints that have been filed for the same issue, it appears to be a common defect and I am extremely concerned about the safety of the vehicle that my wife drives every day with our 2 young children.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the power steering pump assembly and the water pump shaft seal had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Mar 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

The vehicle's steering stops working at low speeds while trying to park or back out of a parking place. The power steering fails and you must turn the vehicle manually. The issue continues to get worse the longer you wait to get it fixed.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Jul 022013

Acadia 6-cyl

Steering is difficult at low speeds. While driving at low speeds the steering wheel seems to almost lock up and needs considerable force to be turned. The problem is consistently happening every time the Acadia is driven. This problem makes it extremely difficult to maneuver in parking lots and at any intersection. This problem has been going on for a little while and seems only to be getting worse.

- Salem, NH, USA

May 302013

Acadia

Was driving our 2009 GMC Acadia and as I was slowing and turning the car became very hard to steer, if I was applying the brake I could barely turn the steering wheel. I then asked my father to test it out and even he could barely turn it when applying the brakes and was tight to steer in general. I am 500 mikes from home, but not sure it is safe to drive back home. Will call dealer but from all the other complaints it sounds like the power steering pump is or has gone out. This is very unsafe and although I was cautious while driving, it is definitely a safety hazard!!!!

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 162012

Acadia

I bought this car in Feb 2012 and from the first time I drove it the steering was very tight and makes a clunking nose in the the front end. Took the car in to the dealer and the power steering pump was changed and this fixed the steering when it was hard to turn. Now it's May 2013 and the clunk is still there and was told its the power steering gear and its about 950 dollars to fix. This is crazy there is only about 83,000 miles on my car. I am ready to let the bank have it.

- Bay City, MI, USA

May 022011

Acadia

Bought used 2009 Acadia in 2011 with 55000 miles and nothing but headache 1) 60K miles: Liftgate came crashing down my wife's back while getting the groceries. They should have some safety measures to stop the gate from crashing. 2) 70K miles: Truck wont start in drive way. Towed truck to dealer and they changed fuel pump. 3) 70K miles: Engine misfire code. Replaced one coil. 4) 76K miles: Coolant always low. Dealer changed water pump. 5) 76K miles: Truck hesitate and feel a misfire between 45 and 55 mph. Took truck to dealer and they quoted me over $3300 to replace all coils, spark plugs, steering wheel column and steering rack busing. 6) since we bought the car we cant even drive it with the windows down or the roof open. The truck shakes roughly with both roof and windows open.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Apr 172013

Acadia

On multiple occasions, the power steering has failed when turning the wheel of the vehicle. This specific instance, as I was trying to cross on coming traffic on a major roadway (posted speed limit 45 mph) to get into a common turn lane to merge with traffic, the steering went out as I barely made it into the common turn lane leaving me with concerns about the safety of driving my vehicle. I have concerns that the steering should be failing so quickly after 3 plus years of the life of the vehicle (bought brand new).

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

I have been having trouble with the power steering in my 2009 Acadia. It looses power for a few seconds almost every time I make a turn now. It is extremely scary if I am in busy traffic. I took it to the dealership and they said that I need to have the whole power steering parts replaced. $1700!!... which is not covered under warranty. I have a friend who is a mechanic and he said that there are more than one component for the power steering and that the dealership wants to replace it all because it is easier than actually figuring out which part is really causing the problem and just replacing that part. This is very frustrating and it is ridiculous that I can't trust the dealership to take care of the problem correctly. We have been researching and finding out that many 2009 Acadia owners are having this same issue. Obviously GMC needs to cover the costs of issues like these that are happening to not just 1 owner but several!!

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving on sr at approx. 65mph when check engine light comes on and "engine power reduced" is displayed. Car slows dramatically and eventually comes to a stop. Power steering is also lost concurrently. After swerving into opposite lane, I managed to get car off to the side of road. Car was towed to dealership (courtesy GM roadside assistance). Fuel pressure sensor was replaced after finding the sensor intermittently shorting and causing the low pressure condition. The power steering assembly was also leaking. The steering gear was replaced and flushed. Exactly one week later while driving on the same sr at approx. 55mph, the check engine light came on and "engine power reduced" is displayed. Car slows dramatically and comes to a stop. However, this time I was able to steer car off the side of the road with no problem. Heavy smoke was also coming from the exhaust and the car smelled unusual on the interior. After waiting 3 hours for a tow (GM roadside assistance), the car was towed to the dealership. Two fuel injectors were found leaking (# 1 and 3) and were replaced. Fuel injectors 2, 4, 5, and 6 were rebuilt. This same vehicle had two fuel injectors (#3 and 5) replaced in August 2011 when this same chain of events occurred (previously reported). I am concerned as to why fuel injectors in this vehicle continue to fail causing the engine to flood with fuel. The safety concern is the vehicle will decelerate and stop with no warning which could cause a fatality if I were on a interstate with little to no shoulder.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Dec 122012

Acadia 6-cyl

When trying to steer the vehicle below 5 mph's (engine below 1200 RPM), the steering wheel will lock up and is very hard to steer. My wife had this happen to her the first when she was pulling into our driveway (thankfully it did not happen in the city). She told me about it, so I then took it to town shopping. It took a while before it happened to me, but finally it did when I was making a tight right hand turn into a menards parking lot. I started the turn and notice instantly that I had no steering. I almost hit another car because I was not able to steer sharp enough or fast enough for the right hand turn. After that, I got in the parking lot and did a little testing. I figured out that the steering was locked, and if the engine was revved over 1200 engine RPM, the steering would come back slightly. After several tries, it did come back. Don't know if I can trust it to work all the time"?" it appears the problem is worse after the car has been run for a while. With cold temps it works until the steering system warms., then problem is random. Scary!!! feels like there is a flow control valve maybe that is in pump, and when it sticks open, the steering is lost at idle speeds. Not a good deal...

- Avon, MN, USA

Oct 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving slow and when I went to turn the steering was extremely tight. I had told the dealership where I bought it from, from the date of purchase that something was wrong. Finally took it in on 10/19/2012 and was told it was the powersteering pump. It's over $400 to get fixed and I don't have it right now.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jul 062012

Acadia

I had just picked up my car from having the A/C compressor and condensor replaced and I was doing a U turn into a gas station when the power steering went out. I had to manually turn the wheel. With my two children in the back I almost went into a ditch. I immediately called the dealership and took it in for them to look at. They told me that the power steering gear assembly was leaking and needed to be replaced. They found that when the ves valve was commanded shut, the valve would not re-open. The rack was also leaking on the left side. They replaced the gear assembly, set toe and flushed the system. This is a serious safety concern and should be looked into for a recall.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 132012

Acadia

I was in the middle of a turn when vehicle got very hard to control as I was finishing my turn power steering pump started working again and I almost side swiped another vehicle due to the force I had to apply to the steering wheel when pump quit working. Took vehicle to dealer and they said power steering pump was leaking and that there has been multiple accounts of this happening in GMC. They did state it was a mechanical failure in the power steering issue of the vehicle but no recall has been issued as if yet. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I see this as a very unsafe condition of the vehicle that should be looked at closely upon GMC's behalf.

- Hot Springs , AR, USA

Apr 082012

Acadia

The power steering randomly fails at low speeds. This has created several hazardous situations while making left hand turns with oncoming traffic and right hand turns at intersections with waiting traffic on the adjacent street. The car was repaired at a local shop by replacing the power steering pump. I was told this is a common problem and the new pump is a more robust design. The cost for the out-of-warranty repair was about $850.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Feb 042012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering fails at low RPM. Engages above 1500 RPM.

- Park City, MT, USA

May 022011

Acadia 6-cyl

The headlight went out and GMC quoted me at approximately $120 to replace. Husband attempted to replace it but you had to take off the wheel in order to get to the actual light. I gave GMC the go ahead to replace and they called me back and told me that the wiring had melted and that it would now be over $300 to do it. I told them no and made a complaint. They called me a few days later telling me they would do it but I had to pay $50 deductible (assuming they went through some type of warranty). It eventually became a recall and I am now looking into getting reimbursed for my $50. Noticed my car started over heating and took it into a mechanic friend, let us know that the water pump needed to be replaced this was at approx 45,000 miles. I did my research and the GMC warranty covered the cost. At approximately 56-57,000 miles the car started making a whining noise when driven slow or first thing in the morning when it was cold. Took it in to GMC to get it checked out and it turns out that the steering rack had a leak on each side of the wheels and pinions, and power steering pump needed to be replaced. Quote almost $1500 dollars. I could not afford that price so took it back to my mechanic to see if it would be cheaper. He ended up replacing the pinions and rack but said the pump did not need to be replaced and ended paying $600 out of pocket. I'm hoping that GMC will see that many of us are having the same problem and will make it a recall. I will not be buying anymore GMC vehicles. All I want is a reliable car that won't break the bank.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Oct 192011

Acadia 6-cyl

As per dealer SUV needs a new steering rack and a new steering pump, seatbelt retractor not functioning so airbag not working-to fix items approx $2000 this is a 2009 with 75000 miles and should not need this type of repair.

- Manorville , NY, USA

Aug 182010

Acadia 6-cyl

First problem was the timing chains needing to be replaced at 18000 miles. After that repair was made the gas mileage was averaging 11 mpg. It was a one year old car! after that, it was a multitude of problems. Steering rack/power steering replaced and 'fixed', electric stabilitrak lights going on and off, dvd player not playing properly. All things the dealer had said they fixed (after they whispered that I should not have bought an american car.) now the transmission is acting up. Rolling down an incline when I was trying to back out of a parking spot. The dealer told me it was fine and they could not duplicate the issues I was having. I've written two letters to GM corporate to complain about the sub-standard vehicle. They were helpless and will not assist in any replacement of the car. They even told me that this would be a difficult car to trade in considering the problems I have had with it. Who is kidding who? I would never recommend this car and hate to continually put my family in it.it is unsafe. Period.

- Brightwaters, NY, USA