Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Sierra 1500:

Oct 022018

Sierra 1500

Dash cracked above steering wheel. Only 29000 miles and always garage kept. Truck in excellent condition. Original owner. Appears to be poor quality materials. Concerned this could effect airbags.

- Grayson, KY, USA

Sep 302018

Sierra 1500

Dashboard behind the I strument clusrer and by the passenger air bag is cracked. Could cause flying dash pieces in an accident with air bag deployn ment.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

May 302015

Sierra 1500

Cracking of the dash around the left rear area of air bag cover, cracked all the way towards front of dash area, broke pieces falling in dash..concerns of flying projectiles in case of an impact causing more harm to passenger or myself from flying broken pieces of dash.I cant recalled exactly when it happened if the vehicle was parked moving. In motion or any other type motion that would cause this just every day driving normal.

- Fultondale, AL, USA

Jun 022010

Sierra 1500

Dash has cracked in 5 places the dash is also peeling paint. Also the crime interior handles the chime is pulling off and extremely sharp. My exterior door handles paint is falling off in chunks on all 4 doors. My drivers side seat the lumbar support broke 3 times.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Oct 172017

Sierra 1500

Really upset that dash has cracked in my pickup just learned its a common problem GM doesnt want to fix. $1300 repair cant afford that.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Aug 302016

Sierra 1500

Cracked dash above the passenger air bag on my 2009 GMC Sierra and my 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. Could cause a safety hazard if the airbag was deployed and is not aesthetically pleasing considering the money spent on the vehicle.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Sierra 1500

Dash board has cracked over instrument cluster and at passenger air bag

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jul 162013

Sierra 1500

Dash is cracking causing possible air bag inflation issues in case of accident..dash is cracking around in dash air bag cover

- Mabelvale, AR, USA

Sep 012017

Sierra 1500

The dash is cracked. This is a known issue for your product.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 152016

Sierra 1500

Dashboard cracks, on both sides, above the instrument cluster and at the passenger side airbag. Passengers side crack is effecting how the airbag access cover snaps into the excisting dash recess. It's very bad and sagging down effecting how the airbag would deploy.

- Florence, KY, USA

May 052015

Sierra 1500

I bought this truck brand new and I can always remember hearing loud pops coming from the dash area on a regular basis. For several thousand miles, there was no visual damage as a result of these pops. Around 60,000 miles, however, I began to. Notice a crack in the dashboard near the passenger air bag. As I continued to drive the truck, I still heard the occasional pop and another crack soon appeared above the instrument cluster. More mikes driven, more pops, and more cracks. As anyone would do, I took my truck into the local GM dealership to let them know that something was wrong with the dashboard. I always used a sunshade when parking outside and I kept it parked in the garage at home. I also keep my truck maintained very well, as I can't stand a dirty and neglected vehicle. Since it had been well-maintained and was never driven hard, I expected GM to see the damage and replace it under warranty. To my dismay, however, they said that due to the age and mileage, that they would not be able to offer any assistance. GM quoted me around $1200 to replace the dashboard if I wanted to get rid of the cracks. Astonished that GM would not warranty an obvious faulty item, I then searched online to see if anyone else had the same problem. I quickly found others in forums, youtube videos, and on facebook that had the exact same problem as myself, with cracks in the exact same places and very similar responses from GM when they tried to have the issue resolved. I found a group on facebook dedicated to this exact problem and it is consistent in '07-'13 model GM trucks and SUVS. After being denied assistance by GM, having some mechanical knowledge, as well as the desire to continue driving this truck longer, I removed the dashboard only to find cracks in the dashboard where the screws fastened it in place, as well as clips broken off that were meant to hold it down into place.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 012017

Sierra 1500

Cracked dashboard from windshield to airbag on passenger side. With no aftermarket replacements available only over lays caps. Noticed multiple complaints on safety issues online from other GM owners

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jan 202017

Sierra 1500

Takata recall severe cracks originating from the top left corner of passenger airbag. Airbag looks like it has a bulge causing the dashboard to crack. Concerning that airbag will deploy and pieces of plastic will injure the passenger or driver of pieces are deployes all over the cabin.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Oct 142016

Sierra 1500

Dash is cracked running directly over passenger air bag and across the vent potions of the dash.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Sierra 1500

Multiple cracks in dashboard top including dash cracks near passenger airbag. One crack appeared, then more cracks soon followed. Sent letters to GM executives who replied back that age and mileage of truck was too far outside warranty. No consolation offered except a minor credit toward new vehicle purchase. Truck is meticulously maintained and cracks pose safety concern during potential airbag deployment.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Dec 212014

Sierra 1500

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 dash is cracked up this is a safety hazard if the air bag comes out

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Nov 012016

Sierra 1500

The dash has cracked over the gauges and at the corner of the air bag on passenger side. I just bought the truck so not sure how long the cracks have been there!

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Nov 052016

Dash crack.

- Mount Carmel, IL, USA

Aug 162016

Sierra 1500

Dashboard cracked around passenger airbag cover and forward of the instrument cluster, cracked in stationary or when parked.

- Oxford, PA, USA

May 252014

Sierra 1500

My dash has cracked. One day I just got in my truck and noticed the dash had a small crack in the plastic. The crack has since multiplied to multiple cracks. It has happened not even driving my truck. I am afraid that since the crack is near my airbag that it will send shrapnel thruout the cab and cause serious injury.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA