7.7

$1,150

Most common solutions:

1. replace condenser (26 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Jul 212018

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L

A/C stopped working at 70,000 miles. AC condenser had to be replaced. All has been normal since.

- smokinu454, Cadiz, US

Oct 082016

Sierra 1500 Texas Edition 5.3L

I bought my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Texas Edition certified pre-owned with 3,500 miles. When the A/C quit working they told me the condenser was leaking and needed to be replaced. They said it looked like a rock hit it. This was at 53,844 miles.

Now get this! My A/C quit working again 2yrs later with 118,404 miles. They told me again it looked like a rock it, are you kidding me. What crap!

GMC should be taking care of this problem. My friend also bought a 2014 GMC Sierra new off the lot a couple of month before I did and his condenser has gone out 2 times as well.

- davidray31, Allen, US

Jun 012017

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Dealer said out of warranty, $1500 to fix. I had an outside garage do it for $724.00. Should have been covered.

- Christopher B., Wiscasset, US

Jul 132018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Just adding my truck to the list of others that have experienced this issue. The condenser should not have to be replaced at 50,000+ miles.

- Brian H., Keizer, OR, USA

Oct 012018

Sierra 1500 Texas Edition 5.3L

2nd time the condenser has gone out on my GMC Sierra 1500. 2nd time they told me it looked like a rock hit it and caused the damage. What crap!

- davidray31, Allen, US

Aug 272018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

2014 vehicle would ensure at least 4 years of operation without major repair needed. Unfortunately, GMC has known about the issue with leaking AC condenser on this model but will not warranty the replacement. Since GMC won’t replace the unit, GMC will not be chosen as a replacement for my next vehicle purchase in August.

- Greg D., Coldwater, US

May 012018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

You would think spending $52,000 on a vehicle would ensure at least 3 1/2 years of operation without major repair needed. Unfortunately, GMC has known about the issue with leaking AC condenser on this model but will not warranty the replacement. Since GMC won’t replace the unit, GMC will not be chosen as a replacement for my next vehicle purchase in August.

- Nick L., Olive Branch, US

Jun 102018

Sierra 1500

Real bad. Why doesn't GMC do a recall? It is really horrible. I had 3 GMC's and maybe no more They need to do a recall. Condensers shouldn’t leak. It cost me just today $1300, I pick up tomorrow hope it is fixed. But really hope GMC does the right thing and recalls. I saw a lot of people have the same problem. I want my hard earned money back.

- Eugene L., Richboro, PA, US

May 262018

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

AC stopped working and is no longer under the warranty. Take to dealership, cost is $1,200. Contacting to GMC Customer Assistance took three days. There is no AC in my truck and is summer. I think in AC system in a vehicle should last longer the 48,000 miles, the life of the AC system is absolutely independent of miles on the engine. GM GOOD JOB!!!!!! @#%$

- Jesus G., Lincoln Park, US

Apr 252018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Bought the truck in the winter, didn't realize the A/C didn't work until it warmed up.

- Nate E., South Windsor, US

Apr 022018

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

So my condenser and hoses recently needed to be replaced. The problem was evident when the AC failed and started blowing hot air. I initially didn't think much of it, but when I started researching this issue online I discovered it was more of a trend than an anomaly.

I have reached out to GMC - 1-800-462-8782 and explained to them that I recently experienced a problem with my air conditioner and it is currently at at GMC dealer getting the condenser and hoses replaced. I further explained that this is a common theme about 2014 GMC 1500 Sierra truck owners, and there was a gentlemen in NC that made a very strong case for GMC to replace, and that he had went through the hoopla of calling GMC, BBB, and NC State Attorney General, and was FINALLY able to get reimbursed for the repairs. I am currently waiting on a GMC supervisor to call me back. I will update on the outcome once they reach out to me.

Please note, thanks to the Gentlemen in NC, NBC Chicago affiliated station ran a story on this:

From article:

GM confirms the models affected include the Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban; GMC Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL; and Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV, but did not specify which model years. The complaints we saw were mostly about 2014-2015 models.

- Jeramie M., Midland, TX, US

Apr 012018

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

The dealer called and stated that my AC condenser had indeed failed and this was after they told me it was most likely the condenser but would need to charge me $99 to have a diagnostic to confirm what they already knew to be the problem. They have the part in stock and can have me up and running in a day. That said I find it unacceptable that a truck that is just over 3 years old and has under 39,000 miles on it would need to have this non moving part repaired so soon. My parents '72 Chevy still blows as cold as the day they bought it new. Our 2005 GMC Envoy Denali with over 120,000 miles is equally as cold. Based on the feedback within this site and many others GM needs to deal with and fix the issue. There is no excuse for this type of issue on a such a young vehicle. I'm not a happy GMC owner today.

- tyronc, Edgewood, US

Apr 182018

Sierra 1500 SLE 4.6L V8

AC quit after owning vehicle 3 years and dealership just told me that the condenser has to be replaced because all the freon is gone. My customer service rep said that this is an ongoing issue that they are dealing with in 2014-2017 Sierras and that GMC covered and extended the warranty on 2016 and 2017 models but not 2014/2015. Same service department rep told me that they had seen 2015's with the exact same issue. It's apparent that they know 2014-2015 have the same issue but are ignoring this. $1400!

- Brad Y., Columbia, MO, US

Mar 122018

Sierra 1500

2014 GMC 1500 condenser leaking and will have to pay out of pocket. Sh*tty brand never buying another and will be sure to tell anyone who listens the same.

- tzimmer1, Richmond, US

Feb 172018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

2014-2015 GMC Sierras were produced with a known faulty A/C condenser with a bad weld that causes an A/C system leak requiring replacement. There has been an overwhelming failure of the product across the country, so bad to even make NBC news. GM became aware of this issue and sent new (properly produced) condensers to their production lines first, leaving hundreds of GMC owners without A/C over the summer. They put out a "special recall" on a very small number of VINs saying it "may" happen in other VINs. There is an overwhelming volume of complaints online (to include myself) to where GM is acknowledging this issue but refusing to cover the replacement cost of their faulty part for hundreds of owners having this issue. The replacement cost of this faulty part for my vehicle was $1,338.61 at the GMC dealership. I've opened a case with GMC, but their response was: "it may happen with my VIN but they will not cover the replacement" even though I have confirmed that this was in fact the issue with my vehicle as well as hundreds of other owners across the country. See many links to this issue below:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/gm-air-conditioning-responds-439572983.html https://www.consumerclasslawyersblog.com/2017/08/01/bunch-hot-air-ac-gmc-chevy-trucks-simply-not-work/ http://www.radiatorhelpline.com/2017/06/2014-2017-chevy-gm-condenser-widespread-failure.html http://www.silveradosierra.com/climate-control/2014-silverado-ac-not-blowing-cold-t414162.html http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/191160-2014-sierra-ac-leaking/ http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/200888-ac-condenser/ https://www.torquenews.com/3768/owners-2014-chevrolet-silverados-are-furious-they-cant-get-their-ac-fixed

I strongly suggest that anyone with this issue (past or present) file a complaint so we can hold GM accountable for this issue. I have filed official complaints through the below institutions. Please do the same:

General Motors Company 800-462-8782

Better Business Bureau 919-277-4222 https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/nature-of-complaint/

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 888-327-4236 https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Federal Trade Commission 877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/GettingStarted?NextQID=231&Url=%23%26panel1-9#crnt

NC State Attorney General's Office 877-566-7226 http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/59be4357-41f3-4377-b10f-3e8bd532da5f/Complaint-Form.aspx

Update from Mar 7, 2018: Update (three weeks from my original post): The Better Business Bureau was unable to file my case due to the mileage on my vehicle, however, GM was contacted by the NC State Attorney General's Office on my behalf following my complaint. I received a call from the legal department at GM stating that they would review my case and get back to me within a week. To my amazement, they actually called me back in a week and said they would reimburse me for the full cost of the repair (nearly $1,400). That seems to be the way to go. I suggest those of you that are having this issue go the same route. With enough complaints, they will have to just issue a recall. Good luck to you all and may justice prevail.

- MJ C., Jacksonville, NC, US

Jun 012017

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L

Purchased new GMC 2014 sierra 1500 Denali, air conditioning stopped working in June. Visited dealer to be informed prior to inspection of vehicle that the condenser is likely the problem. After confirming the condenser is leaking, I was informed GM had a national shortage of condensers and my dealer was not sure when a condenser would be available. 2 1/2 months later no GM condenser is available and dealer cannot tell me the date condenser would be available from GM. Frustrated with GM, I purchased an after-market condenser and when I ask my dealer to install the after-market condenser, the dealer informed me I must pay 100% of the installation and the warranty on my air conditioning system would be voided. This reply was confirmed by communications with GMC Customer Service Senior Case Worker. GM can't fix the air conditioning and will penalize me if I pay $800.00+ to repair the problem? Sad, very sad. Only option GM has available is trade my vehicle for brand with working air conditioner at cost of $20,000.00 to fix GM's obvious failure to fix a known 14, 15, 16, & 17 year condenser failure.

- wdbdjb, Princeton, US

Oct 132017

Sierra 1500 XLT V8

I called the dealer and he said that there was special recall on 14-15 condesors but only for Tahoe, Yukons and not any of the pick ups.

TOTAL BS!

- Mike M., Johns Creek, US

Oct 062017

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

GM needs to recall these trucks for these Condensers IMMEDIATELY!

I don't understand how they expect customers to continue to pay their high prices on these trucks and they won't last 100,000 miles without a condenser failure?

I REFUSE to buy another GM product if this issue isn't resolved by recall. I've seen YouTube videos of a mechanic (Cesar Vega) stating that he has replaced these condensers on all 5.3L V8 models from 2014-2017. Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalades.

WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN RECALLED YET?

I will have my condenser replaced this week. I am searching for the most expensive dealership to install the new "DEFECTIVE" unit so that GM can eat the cost when I send them my bill for their JUNK!

- wmassey, Tuscaloosa, US

that's Bad

- Mark O., New Caney, US

Jul 282017

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.8L V8

I have contacted the sales dealership, and there response is bring in for service , but the cost is yours, since you are out of the warranty period

- Chazo B., Clarksville, US