7.0

$820

Most common solutions:

2. replace condenser (9 reports)
  3. replace compressor (6 reports)
  4. replace hose assembly (3 reports)
  5. line was replaced (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Jun 032018

Sierra 1500 SLE 4.3L

Had my air conditioner stop and blow hot air on, so far, the hottest day of the season and was an hour and a half from home. Had to travel on the highway to get home with windows down to be able to breathe. What does it take for GMC to admit they screwed up with the A/C? Owned 3 Sierras. Pretty sure this is my last one. Each one has had major issues at, what i consider, low miles for the vehicle.

- Scottie L., Hebron, ME, US

Mar 122018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

THE AC QUIT WORKING. AFTER REFERRING TO THE WEB I FOUND THAT THERE ARE NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS REGARDING THE REFRIGERANT LEAKING OUT OF THE LINES DUE TO A FAULTY BRACKET AND A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT THAT HAS BEEN FILED. $46,000 FOR A NEW TRUCK AND I CAN'T GET 100,000 MILES WITHOUT ISSUES. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

- Michael O., Burlison, TN, US

Dec 042017

Sierra 1500 Z71 5.3L V8

Fairly new 2014 vehicle, don't expect to have to pay for a major repair. Not buying a GMC again that for sure.

- Nathan T., North Richland Hills, TX, US

Aug 252017

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L V8

I expect better for the amount of money I paid for this truck! This seems to be a well documented problem, along with the AC condensors. GM is not taking care of the problem or the customers that spent their hard earned money on these vehicles. I am very dissatisfied, and will not buy another GM vehicle! I have been a loyal customer for many years, but this is ridiculous!

- Harold S., Texas City, US

Jul 252017

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

A/C compressor popped yesterday. 2014 Sierra with only 56,000 miles on her. Truck bogged down and almost died while backing out of a parking spot. Looked under the hood and saw the wheel on the compressor was looking sketchy and noticed a white residue that somehow got sprayed around the engine compartment. Took it to the dealer and the service rep said he could pull some strings at GMC and get it replaced for $200. Said they have the part in stock, but I'm not feeling too optimistic after reading all the other complaints.

- jadair80, Bakersfield, US

Jun 192017

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

Bought a 2014 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab from Tulley GMC in Nashua about a month ago. I also bought the extended warranty, thank GOD!!!! A couple weeks ago, started noticing the AC wasn't blowing icy cold air. Took it to the service department and the problem is the AC condenser. They said it is covered under my warranty but the part is "back ordered". I've been reading some comments online about other people with this same issue. I'm getting a little nervous because I'm seeing people that have been waiting months and still no AC condensers available. I have a pregnant girlfriend at home and if I need to drive us somewhere, I need AC at least for her. The dealer did give me a loaner and say that I can stay in it for as long as it takes but I'm pissed because I just bought the truck and I'm paying $500 a month to drive around in a Terrain while my truck sits in their back parking lot.

Anyone have any luck with a dealer actually getting their hands on a AC condenser?

- Mike P., Merrimack, NH, US

Jun 012017

Sierra 1500

2014 GMC Sierra, had to replace the AC Condenser (3 yr. old truck), cost $1000. 2 weeks after it was replaced the AC quit working again. Brought it back in, had to have a High Side Line Hose replaced, $300 more dollars to fix. No recall on an issue that seems to be a common problem with these trucks. Disgusting..

- Shawn H., Glenville, US

Mar 022016

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

This is the first issue of three concerning the cooling system I have experienced. I understand GM is aware of the faulty design as this issue is widespread on this model. GM has since created a bracket to prevent the hose from failing however, no recall has been executed.

- jrdavenp, Tullahoma, US

May 082017

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2V8

Lost AC 100% over a month ago. GM parts on "intergalactic back order" per dealer....GM telling them no condensers in site...all going to assembly line. Totally BS.

- Nichols H., Atkinson, NH, US

Jun 022017

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

This is the second issue with the AC system, The first was the discharge hose. System yet again was not cooling, took it to the dealer and was told that the shaft inside the compressor had broken and had to be replaced. Again, GM appears to be aware of the problematic compressors but, again as with the discharge hose, no action to recall has taken place.

- jrdavenp, Tullahoma, US

May 012016

Sierra 1500 Sierra 15500 Denali 6.2L

I have been waiting to get my air conditioner fixed now for months and I keep getting told there are no Condensers available. I have talked with service writers at GM dealership's well as other Sierra owners and they all have the same problem for the most part.

This needs to be put on a recall list or I have decided to file a class action lawsuit in this matter regarding all Sierra owners across the country.

I, as well as I am sure other people, have serious breathing issues in hot weather and need my truck fixed promptly.

Ford properly should not treat the owner of their vehicles this way.

- bridegroom, Michigan City, In., US

Apr 262017

Sierra 1500 V8

I have been a GMC loyal owner for many years. We purchased the extended warranty. The problem is the ac quit working and only blows hot air. I live in Orlando FL where it is 95+ degrees daily plus humidity. My ac has not been working for at lest 3 weeks! I took it to the shop and they kept it for a couple of days and had me pick it up saying the part had to be ordered. That problem I am told is that many other GMC owners are having issue and the part is back ordered. It actually has to be made and they can give me no idea when the part will be available. Meanwhile I am told that there are some 2000+ other owners waiting as well. This is not acceptable!

Meanwhile payments are still being made for a vehicle that I paid $43,000 for because I work hard everyday and at the very least deserve to drive to work in comfort paying that amount of money. I live in an area where the traffic is awful and drive in bumper to bumper on I4. That is maddening with an a/c. So windows are down and I get to inhale the exhaust from all the other vehicles on the road.

Meanwhile the only calls I get from GMC is to purchase a new vehicle from them. The only incentive they offer is a $1000.00 off loyalty certificate. Really? Who in their right mind would buy another vehicle from them when they have no solution and no concern. I want to find a way to let unsuspecting new buyers know how much GMC cares when you have a problem and that is not at all! I called the dealership again today because I have heard nothing form them in a week and a half. The same exact response was given to me again. The part is ordered. It has not been made and there is no time line when you might get your ac working again. Thank GMC

Update from Jun 26, 2017: Our ac was finally fixed! It is so nice to have ac again. It was 2 days shy of two months of no air conditioning to get it fixed. I come from a family of GMC and Chevy loyal truck owners. Out of three (3) 2014 models all 3 had the same problem. My cousin had his go out only 800 miles over the 36,000 mile warranty. He had to pay over $1100 to get it fixed. He was not able to fight the dealer over this because he was terminal with brain cancer, wheel chair bound and they were not concerned at all. Then, the hose had to be replaced for another $300.00 He passed less than 2 months later. Nice job GMC! I love your compassion with something that is obviously a defective product. I have no complaints however with the dealer that fixed our truck. They were very compassionate about the problem and was responsive to my calls. Danny Len GMC Mount Dora, Fl.

- Bruce A., Sorrento, US

Jul 302016

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

2 years, 4 months of nothing but highway driving... and $800 a/c issue' - unbelievable! I guess the a/c issue is better than the $6000 cracked head problem I had to pay for on my 2001 Sierra... that GM was VERY aware of and didn't cover. When will I learn???

- zytynski, Kyle, TX, USA

May 152017

Sierra 1500 All Terrain 5.3L

Three years old and a/c out? Wtf? I've got 2002 Toyota with 185,000 and factory a/c works fine. I've never had that go out on any vehicle I've owned and this early. This truck has never been off road or damaged in any way. Sad, guess I'm going back to Toyota.

- farmer ted, Granville, US

Apr 282017

Sierra 1500 LX 5.3L

Faulty weld on ac condenser. Same as many others. Seems to me it is a factory defect. Don't know why there isn't a recall.

- Zachary H., Cleburne, TX, US

Mar 012017

Sierra 1500 LS 5.3L V8

Been a GMC Family for 30 years.........Why is there no recall on the CONDENSER that is obviously a manufacturing defect. Many complaints online for the same exact pin hole leak on the upper right hand corner. It's HOT as h*** out here......be American GMC and take care of your loyal customers.

- Brad T., Marietta, GA, US

Nov 082016

Sierra 1500 4.3L

Hot air comes out of drivers vent when it is set to cold.

- Bernard W., Palmetto, FL, USA

Sep 292016

Sierra 1500 LX 5.3L

I have been a GMC Customer since 1976 and have purchased a total of six new trucks over the years. My son is a GMC Customer as well. I am a retired Crane Operator and recently Retired on my Local 3 Pension and worked my ass of for 37 years often working 12 hour days without a day off for months at a time. SO when I laid down over 50K I expected it to be something I could feel good about driving & never expected it to be a death trap that would be best used as a boat anchor for the cargo ships carrying imported vehicles. This Model Year is unsafe and should not have been made available until it had been properly tested and GMC should be more focused on the safety of the Customer & the other innocent drivers and pedestrians that fall victim to the defective safety equipment. At just over 36k miles 36500 my A/C suddenly started blowing hot air. I had just had it serviced by the dealership and not sure what caused the problem. In my research online there have been numerous complaints of other incidents at around the same mileage. There is an issue with the design of this model which causes the A/C compressor to run automatically when started even in the dead of winter. This causes it to fail from excessive wear on the unit and the repair costs are est. $1800-$3000. This is something that GMC should be covering. In the time I have owned the truck there has been a major safety equipment system not working properly. I called GMC and began the formal complaint process and was pretty much blown off and haven't heard anything back from them. With the amount of money I paid for this truck I should be safe and comfortable and have something of value. I feel like I have been taken for my money and want what I paid for. At this time I have made sure that my family, friends and colleagues from local 3 as well as my neighbors and my social media contacts don't make the mistake of buying a GMC & it may not seem like a big deal but word of mouth is the number one advertisement in business & without the customer there is no business, If GMC replaced my truck with a new one, the trade in value is about $34900 and it would leave a difference of approx. $27000. I fully intend to pursue the matter & have filed with the BBB Auto Line for resolution. It will more than likely be in my favor because I am a California resident and the Lemon Laws here are in the favor of the consumer but it will cost GMC in legal expenses and resources to participate in the process which can take up to 45days. Word of mouth has already cost several people I know to purchase from other Manufacturers and I am diligent in telling everyone I know about all the defects & headaches this has caused me. It has wasted my time and money for them to treat me as a crash test dummy on my dime. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PURCHASING FROM GMC they DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT & HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE SAFETY OF THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

- gmcsierralemonltd., Mokelumne Hill, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Sierra 1500

Dealer mentioned that this is a common problem, I am yet to see anything from manufacturer.

- Edgardo C., Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 122016

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

AC stopped working on my gmc sierra within 2 1/2 years of buying new. $51,000 and two years later you tell me I need to put another $1000 into it b/c of a crap ac system. Tried calling GM since this is a well know problem got nothing from them or the dealer I got it from. Has given me a bad taste after bailing GM out of the hole. This truck has also had 7 recalls. Just plain out sorry GM. Wife also has a GMC will be trading both in on Ford's.....

- hhightower, Bamberg, SC, USA