8.5

$210

Most common solutions:

2. replace headlight assembly (10 reports)
  3. replace headlights (5 reports)
  4. replace with led (4 reports)
  5. replace with hid bulbs (2 reports)
  6. buy different headlamp bulbs (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

May 112016

Sierra 1500 All Terrain Package 5.3L

Lighting is poor. Rainy nights have to leave the truck parked. If not for the driving lights/fog lights could not drive at night at all. $50,000 and useless at night

- newmedic, S.Easton, MA, US

Jan 012016

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

These headlights are terrible! Cannot see to drive. For the prices of these trucks this should be fixed!

- Jim C., West Sunbury, PA, US

Aug 102015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Just want to add my complaint to the list on the terrible headlights on my 2015 sierra had the new bulbs installed by the dealer but still very inadequate. I guess GMC will wait until enough people get killed before anything gets done , i can't understand why transport Canada doesn't force a recall.

- Dale R., Nestleton, ON, Canada

Dec 312015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Can't see road well with these headlights, absolutely terrible. Think it is a major safety issue and would expect lights on a 50 thousand plus vehicle to work better! Have a 2007 vehicle that I would rather drive than this at night.

- David L., Fairfield, VT, US

Jul 132015

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

The head lights have been terrible since the day I bought the truck. Truck has been to the Dealership 6 times for the headlights with 2 upgrades still terrible. The head lights are not safe to drive at night with. GM set the headlights many times high beam is up in the trees, and low beam is blinding on coming traffic. There is no side vision, the worst lights I have ever seen.

- wineman, Volant, PA, US

Oct 012015

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

the headlights on my 2015 sierra are horrible. they do not project far enough to provide for safe driving and there is virtually no side lighting when turning a corner.

Update from Mar 15, 2017: driving into a dip you can't see anything on the upslope.

- Thomas S., Metamora, IL, US

Mar 212016

Sierra 1500 LX 5.3L V8

Took first trip requiring major night time driving.Headlamps are so dull even on high beam that it was impossible to see the road ahead at times.Very small and dull line of vision and lights were going uphill on the right side and down on the left Bulbs were replaced and being honest,did not make any noticeable difference.These lights are NOT SAFE for night driving.I now use the fog lights when driving at night.

- vibratruck, Mars, PA, US

Oct 262015

Sierra 1500 LX 5.3L V8

Went to pickup truck after all paperwork was signed for delivery and 4x4 light was flashing.Found bad pin connector at 4x4 module. I allowed repair to be made. 1-29-2015 took in for vibration issues.Told them that the 4x4 light had again flashed and then went out on its own. Found dct and wiring repaired at connector. 3-21-2016 Took truck in for vibration an lighting issues ,and informed them that the 4x4 light flashes on briefly while driving and then goes out. Found no DCT'S and told no problem found .Vehicle operating as designed . This seems to be a common phrase as well as characteristic trait of the vehicle. Others have driven my truck and experienced the light coming on/

- vibratruck, Mars, PA, US

Apr 122016

Sierra 1500 4x4 3.2L V6

the headlight system on all 2915 GMC 1500 trucks are a MFG defect are extremely unsafe to drive after dark.

the GMC answer is to replace the bulbs and reprogram the computer, this not the fix.

4 dealers have tried this under warranty. with no results.

Spider lights has an aftermarket fix but they are expensive and GMC said this would cancel warranty.

- morehead, Bigelow, AR, US

Nov 202015

Sierra 1500 LX 3.2L V6

Very poor lighting make turn can hardly see. Brights are not bright at all, my 2011 had bright lights. Hard to see in dark. Not safe!!!

- Rosetta H., Fairmont, WV, US

Feb 152015

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8

While GMC did perform TSB #PIT5374, which instructs the tech to replace both headlight bulbs, and to increase voltage to the headlights via the body control module, the performance of the headlights is only slightly better. The truck is uncomfortable to drive at night, and especially dangerous to drive at night in the rain. In addition, one of the new headlight bulbs blew last week, but the GMC dealer replaced it under warranty once he located a bulb at another dealership in town.

- Steven H., Hilton, NY, US

Oct 132015

Sierra 1500 LTE 6.2L V8

I complained to the dealership the first week that I discovered this headlight problem, which was as soon as I bought this vehicle. At first, they claimed to have no knowledge of the issue, until I kept on pressing them. Then they said that the manufacturer offered a solution by pointing the lights downward more towards the road. They did this and it did nothing to fix the problem. I made several complaints to GM directly, and they claim the lights meet national standards, and can do nothing further which I know is not true. These headlights are dangerous, and will eventually result in deaths. GMC should replace them with headlights that work properly. I paid nearly $60k for this vehicle and I cannot believe how horribly the dealer and the manufacturer are covering up this problem. I even offered to pay out of pocket for new lights and they laughed, saying that would make the vehicle out of warranty. I feel it will only be after people die that anything will be done to address this manufacturing error.

- Daniel L., Barrington, RI, US

Aug 012015

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

The lights and pattern of lighting is VERY dangerous. Very difficult to see when turning.

- Cal C., Veradale, WA, US

Jul 042016

Sierra 1500 5.3

I can't see the lines on the road when it's raining at night. White knuckles. I'm scared to drive at night in the rain. .I spent close to $600.00 on dealer installed fog lights and now I blind on coming traffic. My dealer offered no remedy for the poor lights. I bought the truck new in September 2015. The defroster didn't work, found out on the first snow storm, plowing. There also a squeak coming from the driveshaft. Had the truck in the dealer 3 times for that , the squeak is still there so now they say it may be in the exhaust system. Lemon?

- Jeff R., Yorktown Heights, NY, US

Dec 082015

Sierra 1500 5,3 V8

My 2015 Sierra headlights are pretty dim. If you drive in the city where the street lights are on, you cannot say if your head lights are no or off! If you have to drive at the evening and a moderate rain, be prepared to slow down to 20-25 PMH, just because you will not see the road. Driving in a rural area during the rain is a nightmare.

I spoke to dealer several times. Here are a few responses: 1. Nothing wrong with those lights 2. They all have the same lights 3. We just tested it and it is ok!

Well, I've found out that there was a service bulletin by GM for those lights. So, when I've approached the dealer with that bulletin they told me: 1. There are a lot of trucks with the same problem ahead of me. 2. Please, come back next month. 3. We have to order those parts for headlights....

I should say that on the top of these headlights there is a harmonic vibration issue and during my first 7 months of this Sierra ownership my truck was at the dealer at least for two (2) months!

Update from Aug 12, 2016: August 11, 2016. Repair attempt #1. Just got my truck back from the dealer. They've replaced light bulbs and did some kind of adjustments. I cannot say that I can see any difference. It should be raining this evening or tomorrow. Will try to drive my truck while it rains and it will give me a better idea.

- Eduard L., Cordova, TN, US

Dec 292015

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

WHEN DRIVING THE VEHICLE AT NIGHT IF IT IS A DARK CLOUDY SKY, THE HEADLIGHTS DO NOT SHOW ENOUGH LIGHT TO DRIVE. VERY UNSAFE. I HAVE TO USE THE FOG LAMPS TO PUT OUT MORE LIGHT OUTPUT.

- Randy Z., Billings, MT, US

Jan 292016

Sierra 1500 Kodiak

Worst headlights I have ever had. my 2000 jetta with hazy lenses give off better light. and high beam is useless unless your looking for birds or planes cause they point up 40 feet or so, had the new bulbs and bcm flash and did add a little light but not much . Can't see street signs with low beam and high is to high.

- Mike C., Smithtown, NB, Canada

Aug 192015

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

I have driven many different vehicles in my lifetime and, besides my 1966 Mustang, these are the worst headlights I have ever experienced. A very short cutoff and worst of all, no side illumination. I'm almost afraid to drive the damn thing at night and God help you if it is night and raining.

- goaliedad, Howell, MI, US

Dec 082015

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

headlights are too dim, can't see down the road properly. I find that these headlights are so bad that they are actually dangerous. I don't feel comfortable driving at night. They don't seem to cast down the road enough to see if there was anything in the road. i.e. Deer,moose,people.

Also they are very dim, and don't cast to the left at all. I called GMC service and was told they knew about the problem but there is no fix in the works for it.

- Roderick M., Jericho, VT, US

Apr 152015

Sierra 1500 LS 5.3L

Worst headlights ever!!!!!!!! Can't see 10 feet in front of you have to drive with high beams and fog lights and still can't see very well at night scared to drive at night in fear of wrecking because of the fact I can't see with these terrible headlights on low beam there is a sudden drop off point at about 10 feet of nothing but total darkness like you painted a black wall in front of you accident waiting to happen or worse! It's sad when a 2015 Honda has much brighter headlights on low beam than my 2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 with under 7000 miles on it. This problem didn't just happen I noticed it the next day that night after we bought it brand new with 0 miles on it and reported it to the Dealership in Wilmington NC and to Corporate in Detroit MI. They don't care only thing I ask is for them to resolve this issue and the other issues i'm having with this over priced Truck! Also they did replace the headlight bulb and it's just as bad as the original one the designers of these headlights on the 2014/2015 GMC's need to come up with a better way to resolve this serious issue this isn't a joke not being able to see at night not only am I putting myself at risk but I'm also putting other's at risk! And the only way I feel to resolve this very serious issue is for everyone to file a complaint with Corporate in Detroit MI. because replacing the bulb doesn't work trust me I had mine replaced! So if you have this problem PLEASE report it to corporate in Detroit only way to resolve this issue is to file complaints not to the dealership file them with Corporate please let's stand together on this. Thank you have a Blessed Day/night.

- susan s, ROCKY POINT, NC, US