Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

Jan 162009

Accord 6-cyl

I was traveling home in the far North bound lane going 40 mph and was hit head on by a Dodge durango traveling South bound in the far right lane. (2 lanes each way with a center.) I was driving and the airbag exploded as the durango cut off another car and hit head onto me. The airbag explosion produced a burning smell which I thought the car was on fire but it was the airbag explosion. My face was very red and swollen and just felt on fire from the explosion which covered my face. I had a scratch in my left eye and needed a rinse and a small laceration above my eye. My right hand was swollen immediately and was throbbing from the grip of the wheel and the airbag explosion. My right pinky was totally numb for quite a while with radiating pain up the right arm. The right had still has issues with grasping things and dropping them. I had and still have headaches from the jolt and neck injury especially in the frontal area. I noticed my speech became slurred and thoughts took longer to process when speaking to people. On the job this created difficulty.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 082014

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the front passenger side frame of the vehicle was rusted. The dealer confirmed that the frame was rusted and would collapse. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 83,428. Updated 10/7/14 updated 3/16/2015

- Tarrytown, NY, USA

May 022014

Accord 6-cyl

Notice the sub-frame is rusting apart when I was changing my brakes on the passenger side.

- Powell, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Accord 4-cyl

The paint is peeling off in huge areas. I have a '94 Buick that has no paint issues and has been outside its whole life. This '02 Accord has been garaged its whole life and should not have this problem.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Feb 062014

Accord 4-cyl

During a professional safety inspection, the certified mechanic spotted rotted/rusted suspension cross K-frame "rear beam" (part #: 50200-S84-A00) on the passenger/right side. Immediate replacement is recommended. I was also told that such replacement should not been done typically if no accident involved. Esp., since severe corrosion happened only on the passenger/right side, it might be related to the design of the drainage of the A/C right above the rusted part.

- Hershey, PA, USA

Nov 232013

While at shop, my mechanic noticed the subframe and frame on passenger side of my Accord were severely rusted and would not pass inspection. As others noted, this is a design defect due to a ac drain and the driver side frame and subframe are in good condition as is the rest of the vehicle. I take good care of my cars and there is no rust any other place on the vehicle. Honda changed this design in 2003, but have not offered any recall to date on the prior models. The NHTSA should launch an investigation into this since Honda is not owning up to this and it seems to be very common in vehicles built before 2003.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 142013

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle was exhibiting abnormal noises. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection where the contact was informed that the sub frame was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- East Aurora, NY, USA

May 162013

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the front passenger side frame was completely corroded with excessive holes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed that the rust corrosion was a normal problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.....updated 10-21-13 updated 10/25/2013

- Grove City, OH, USA

Aug 242012

Accord 4-cyl

I jus got into the vehicle in a parking lot along hugh howell rd reverse from out of my parking space as soon as I put the vehicle in drive I heard a loud revved coming from the engine the car then sped off I tried to stopped it but they brakes would not stop it. About 30-40ft it crashes into a guard rail. Both airbag deploy. Damage front bumper, front passenger door and left front axle.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Mar 242013

Accord 4-cyl

Investigating some strange issues, pulling and clunks at speed and bumps, tranny issues and nose from the front of my car I decided to do an inspection. I took the passenger front wheel off and discovered rust holes right threw the rear beam of the front sub frame! is completely rusted out, this car is a safety hazard. It will not pass inspection in my state and my family and I are terrified to drive it. This Honda has been in my family since new. And has been dealer maintained for all the major service over the past 11 years and this was never seen" its not like it just happened today in March of 2013! I looked around under the car and under the hood, I see the drain tube for the ac drips right on the spot the frame is rusted threw! then I took the drivers side wheel off and there is no rust at all! this is a tragic defect. What if the passenger side frame is to snap when I'm driving it" this is unbelievable that car in other wise pristine condition with only less than 91,000 would have this kind of rust and would have to suffer such a hideous flaw like this. I cant afford to fix this now. Its going to be well over $1500 and not only that my life and my family's life is priceless. Again the rear beam of the front sub frame is rusted threw due to the fact the ac drain tube drips directly on this spot. No other rust on the rest of the sub frame. Potential death trap.

- Lake Grove, NY, USA

Feb 072013

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that he noticed extensive rust on the sub frame below the air conditioning unit. The dealer was notified and advised that there was nothing that they could do to repair the failure. The contact wrote a letter to the manufacturer and was contact by them, stating that they could provide no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 89,660.

- Middleburg Heights, OH, USA

Aug 012005

Accord 6-cyl

The clear coat and paint is almost completely dissolved on the roof, trunk and hood of my nighthawk-colored Honda. This started less than 3 years from the purchase of this car!! I was not aware of all of the other complaints at that time. I have always taken extremely good care of my car, inside and out. It currently only has approximately 45,000 miles on it, and the paint looks absolutely horrid. This is not normal oxidation, it's clearly a defect in the paint, just like all of the other complaints/pictures online of other Honda with the same defective paint issue. Help!

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Apr 132011

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact was driving 20 mph when she applied the brakes in order to enter a residential neighborhood. She then crashed into another vehicle and the air bags deployed. The air bag crushed and fractured the contact's arm. In addition, the engine was pushed into the vehicle, causing the contact to sustain fractured feet and ankles. The vehicle was towed from the scene. A police report was not available. The vehicle was not inspected. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were170,000.

- Albuquerque , NM, USA

Jan 012005

TL- the contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the paint on the hood, roof and trunk of her vehicle turned a different color. The dealer was contacted, but did not repair the failure. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 18,000.

- Goshen, NY, USA

Jan 302003

There was a rattling sound near the rear door and passenger seat, however the dealer could not duplicate the problem, also the vehicle stalled on numerous occasions.

- Metairie , LA, USA

Aug 122002

The glove box does not close properly. Occasionally, the driver seat belt will not retract. Dealer found that the belt was curled/twisted. States driver's seat is loose and sometimes upon acceleration and braking, there is movement in the seat. Dealer found track was faulty, but problem still exists. The airbag indicator light came on. Dealer advised that the required part to rectify the problem would be ordered however no one has contacted consumer regarding this matter.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 282002

Driver side seat shakes/moves when accelerating or appling brakes, the dealer replaced the track but the problem still exist, the windshield wipers are sluggish and the left wiper was very noisy and left streak on the windshield, the glove box door would not close properly, the drivers seat belt would not retract intermittently due to the belt being twisted/curled, the left rear door would not close properly, fog lights were out of Focus, the air bag light illuminated.

- Bronx, NY, USA