3.5

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

May 052019

Takata recall airbags etc

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Feb 232019

Transmission problem

- Fall River, MA, USA

Mar 312018

Accord

My car's sunroof exploded for no apparent reason. I was driving on an uncovered stretch of highway at about 60-65 mph, and suddenly there was a loud bang on my roof, followed by what sounded like gravel being dumped on my car. A few minutes later, I opened the sunroof shade and saw that the sunroof had shattered. There were no cars or trucks in front or along side my car when this happened - so it wasn't due to gravel spun up by another vehicle. I wasn't anywhere near an overpass - so there's no chance something was dumped on my car. The temperature was about 74 degrees - so no excessive heat from the sun.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Nov 032017

Accord

I keep getting in the mail about a takata airbag class action settlement payment. So I was told to do the form.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 092009

Accord

I didn't purchase the vehicle until October 20,2015 for my daughter to drive and when I took it to a dealer they told me that there was a recall on the vehicle but they couldn't fix it without writing paperwork. But when I look but the to see if my vehicle had an air bag recall that how I found out about the nose recall that hasn't been fixed.

- Milan, PA, USA

Sep 072017

Accord

Complaint involving webasto aftermarket retractable sunroof. While driving into work on 7 September, 2017, on a highwat, I closed the sunroof and when it closed I heard a loud pop and looked up and the sunroof was gone. I looked in my rear view mirror and observed a black car two cars behind me making emergency maneuvering into other lane appearing to avoid something. I pulled over and observed no other vehicles doing the same movements and no accidents. I reported the incident to the state police. I purchased the car new in 2009, and the dealership had the sunroof installed prior to purchasing and pickup of the car. The car was purchased new and the sunroof was covered in the original warranty. When I contacted the dealership, they referred me to their installer who informed me there was a recall on some models. When I contacted the company I learned that my sunroof was part of a recall issued in 2010, and I was never informed of this. That sunroof could have killed someone that day. The next evening when driving the retractable interior cover blew out and the metal sunroof frame came apart and metal rods came flying into the driver compartments dangling and swinging. When I reported this to the company, the representative apologized and stated that he should have told me how to secure the interior cover. That this recall is 7 years old and I was never informed in inexcusable. I have always had my car services at Honda dealerships, and I was never informed on this recall. Someone could have easily been killed directly by the flying sunroof, or as a result of swerving to avoid the sunroof. If there are any other sunroofs that have not been repaired, people need to know.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jun 122017

Accord

Well before Honda cars was my top pryority cars. But unfortunatlly 5 month ago I bought a car in a diller call apex in fremont ca. And after the first week using the car the check engine light came on & 45 minutes later another 2 lights came on total 3 lights came on my car (check engine light ) ( vsa ) & last one is a triangle signal with this letter inside /!\ I took the car to the diller already about 5 times & the problem steel on my car after that I took it to the Honda diller and they charge me $ $180 to fix me the problem they promess me the car was fixed & 30 days later lights came back againg I took it back to the Honda diller because they said if the problem came back they supost to fix me the car for free and unfortunatly they charge me $ $375 for labor and $ $185 for the part but another 3 weeks later the problem with the lights came back againg and the worst thing is the car is no't available to drive because when that lights are on the car doesn't run faster than 30 milles for hourly. & honestly I M tired already because I steel have to pay arround $ 11.000 for the car to the diller because I M steel working my credit and if they can not fix the problem because I pay alot of money already trying to fix I M very disapoint. & because if I go to the Honda diller they go to charge me another may be $500 O more. Thank S for the oportunity for letting me writte this message here.

- Newark, CA, USA

Jul 082017

Eccesive oil consumption

- Moody, AL, USA

Jun 232017

Accord

Excessive oil consumption, oil light only flickered when turning corners, oil change odometer said oil was at 30%. car was making a grinding noise when accelerating from a stop. Dealer said there was no oil. They were not willing to take apart engine yet. They ran a cleaner through engine.

- Smithton, IL, USA

Nov 012009

Accord

Foul smell emitting from air conditioning vents since I have owned the car. Never have been able to eliminate it. A Honda repairman told me that it is a known (to Honda) design flaw in the air conditioning unit which causes water to pool in the unit causing mold. Hence the foul order. Honda refuses to fix the problem

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 112016

Accord

When raining car will not come out of turn. Steering gets stuck in direction of turn. Gear shift goes from drive to neutral without pressing button took car to dealer and they state problem cannot be duplicated.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 172015

Accord

I bought my Honda Accord 2009 about a year back. I really love the care. I am religious about oil changes and maintenance and run synthetics to insure the best engine performance and life. My previous owner confirmed that he was also always doing the synthetic oil changes. What I noticed after about a couple of months of buying my car was that a funny rattling and grinding noise was coming from my car. I also occasionally saw the check engine oil like come on and then immediately go off mostly at stops. My oil change was due soon, so I thought that it might be because of that. Yes, sure after the oil change that rattling and grinding sound was gone. So I felt relaxed not for long though as after about 45 days gain the rattling and grinding noise started coming with the check engine oil sign on and off. I did a few checks and when I pulled the dip stick after keeping the car stationary overnight, I was surprised that I had no oil on it at all. I have now added some oil to bring it to the level but I was really disappointed. Then I did some research online and found the information about the excessive oil consumption. I am still planning to keep this car for another 5 years or so, that's why I bought a Honda in the first place. I figure reliable and trouble free with excellent long lasting engines. After going through some online research, I found Honda Accord oil defect class action lawsuit but I never got the letter in the mail about the recall and warranty extension. I am planning to start working on it and get it resolved. My biggest battle will be that the lawsuit covers the V6 vehicles but I have V4. Truly disappointing, I just hope I get satisfaction. Btw I am also the owner of Honda Pilot 2008, and no complaints so far and I am very happy with that car. I hope this thing gets resolved.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jan 012013

Accord

I bought my car in 2012. From 2013-present, I've had to replace my brakes and rotors at least 10 times and now I'm being told my calipers need to be replaced. There is no way that I should have to replace my brakes that many times. In the last year alone, I've had to replace my brakes and rotors 3 times. I currently have to replace my rear brake pads and rotors when I last did it 3 or 4 months ago. I don't have the money to keep fixing this problem, Honda should be responsible! also in July 2015, my ac/heater stopped working, we thought it was the fuse, so we replaced it but its still not working. I am very frustrated and upset with the problems with my car, I will never buy another Honda! I have never had this problem with any car that I've owned.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 162015

Accord

Key fobs only work sometimes on parked car whether locking or unlocking. Have 2 sets of keys and both have stopped working intermittently. Replaced the batteries each time at the dealership. Cannot unlock car doors or trunk or lock or set alarm then later that day it works. I see that others have the same issue so it's not the key fob battery. When inquired at Honda dealership - they said they never heard of this. Has been occurring since purchased new. Currently happening again.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Sep 142015

Accord

My Honda Accord 2009 needed to have both left and right control arms replaced at the cost of $500. My mechanic tells me that this is a very common among Honda Accord, civics and cvr, and my internet search also revealed that this is common problem. Shouldn't a defect like this result in a recall?

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 232014

Accord

Vehicle suddendly lost all power. This exact same power loss has occurred four to five times since I own the vehicle. I bought the vehicle brand new from a gillman Honda dealership in houston, Texas in late December 2009. The first time that this happened was a few months after I bought the vehicle. Afterwards, I took the vehicle to the gillman dealership that I purchased the vehicle and discussed the issue with a service manger. I also complained about a noise that the vehicle was making. I was told then that there was no such problem similar to what I described reported, I left after getting an oil change. Since the first incident, the same power lost has occurred to me 3 to 4 more times. The last time was on Sunday, November 23, 2014 while I was at a chevron gas station. This time it happened when I tried to start the vehicle after finishing pumping gasoline to the gas tank and finished with the payment. I had to get someone to push the car away from pump station and tried to get help from people who came to the gas station to fill their vehicles with gasoline. My wife eventually came to the gas station with a jump cable and I was able to jump start the vehicle then. Afterwards, I drove the vehicle to an O'reilly auto part store and proceeded to purchase a new battery. However, before I let the store clerk replace my car's battery, I asked him to run a test on the car's battery, and the result indicated that the battery is still in good condition. This reminded me of the exact same situation when I lost complete power to the vehicle, and had to jump start it about 6 - 8 months earlier. I also drove myself to another O'reilly auto part store and the same scenario played out. These experiences told me that something is not normal. Some form of short-circuitry must happen that caused my car to lose its power.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Oct 182011

Accord 4-cyl

I bought two Honda's on the same day from proctor Honda in tallahassee, fl. The 2009 Accord has been recalled for a safety defect.. I contacted the dealer I bought them from and was told via E mail they would not have time to make that repair until 11-7-2011 or later. I was just at the dealer getting an oil change and they were working on every kind of car the us makes. It is not a recall if they decide to assign insufficient resources to correct this. It is an unsafe joke! this repair takes one hour or less according to another family member that had it done in jacksonville.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 272010

Accord 4-cyl

2009 Honda Accord 4 cylinder, 22K miles-original owner accelerator got stuck and car continued to accelerate on the on ramp to I-64 in louisville, ky. Tried to downshift, even tried neutral. Engaged the brakes and the brakes locked up. Eventually the brakes released and I was able to coast to a median in the middle of the highway. Very thank I didn't hurt anyone. Took car to the Honda dealership and they say that their diagnostic test shows that nothing is wrong. Nothing registered on the car computer. I am 100% certain that the pedal was not caught on the floor mat. One of the most frightening experiences of my life. I will be buying a new car immediately.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Mar 032010

Accord

2009 Honda Accord. Consumer states continued knocking and rumbling noise when the heat is turned on. Issues persist after being taken in several times for service.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 012008

Accord

2009 Honda Accord 4 cyl 1) car whines at 1300 rpms. Very annoying. Honda says that all of them whine and that it is normal. It sounds like a very cheap car instead of a high end Honda Accord. 2) at low sped and I make a sharp turn, the power steering pulsates. Honda garage said it has a single belt system and that they all persistent like that and it is normal.

- Swansboro, NC, USA