8.2

$530

Most common solutions:

2. replace starter (10 reports)
  3. replace battery (4 reports)
  4. replaced battery (3 reports)
  5. replace alternator, battery (1 reports)
  6. replace the starter (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Jun 092018

Accord Sport

2014 Honda Accord same issue at times takes several attempts to start.

- Karen D., Missouri City, TX, US

Aug 012018

• CVT transmission

I purchased a Honda Accord new in 2014. Car has been very reliable up to now. I am experiencing the same issue of the car not starting when I push the start button, click but no start. At first it was just every once in a while but the problem has gotten worse in the last month. Honda needs to be responsible for this issue as I am seeing more and more issues with the same problem. I am taking my car to Honda this week to see if they have a answer for this problem yet. Car has a new battery and when it does start, it turns over just fine which tells me it isn't the starter. When I was younger I use to do auto electrics for about 10 years. This is a electrical problem I can't seem to put my finger on.

- Darryl S., Tyler, US

Jan 152018

Accord

2014 Honda Accord, 52,000 miles but started having major issues starting the car around 45-47K miles.

About a year ago I began experiencing intermittent issues starting the car (push button start); replaced the batteries in key fob several times, didn't solve the problem. A few months later, starting the car was becoming more and more problematic; I'd hear a 'click' but no turnover, no juice whatsoever, just clicking and dash lights. I thought maybe it was related to the cooler weather until it became more persistent and was happening when it was cold, warm, didn't matter.

It left me stranded several times; requiring a jump about once a week. Other times if I just left the car (and took a different car) the next time I'd try to start it, it would start right up. Having this issue 1-2 times per week was inconvenient and incredibly frustrating but manageable. Until it started happening daily which is when I eventually had the alternator checked and battery replaced (even though it didn't need to be replaced). After replacing the battery the issue seemed to be resolved except that the car wouldn't always start up on the first try. I assumed maybe it was because the key fob wasn't close enough to the ignition (wishful thinking)

This week the issue started becoming so problematic that I can no longer rely on my car to get me to and from work. I've replaced both key fob batteries AGAIN, car has a brand new battery yet the car will not start. About a week ago it would start after 2-3 tries, this week it started up after about 10+ tries but today it just wouldn't start at all.

- Lindsay R., Kissimmee, FL, US

Mar 012018

Accord EX

I purchased a Honda because they are generally a reliable vehicle. I have always bought American vehicles up until we purchased this Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder. We were very happy up until we started having starter problems. My car only has 63,000 miles on it and now the starter is already going out on it. I google searched "COMPLAINTS ABOUT 2014 HONDA ACCORD STARTER PROBLEMS". To my amazement there were hundreds of complaints about people having to pay for new starters because Honda is not willing to admit there is an ongoing problem with their starters in a couple of their vehicle lines. I don't understand how Honda can say there is not an issue with their starters when there are so many complaints online. This should be considered a RECALL item with so many complaints. I am going to take my car in to get it repaired and I am NOT willing to pay for a Honda problem. If Honda does not do me right by fixing this vehicle with NO CHARGE I will get media involved and make sure that consumer affairs hears about this.(As if they probably know already.) I have read multiple complaints and the answers that these people are getting from Honda repair shops. A lot of them saying that it is wear and tear on the vehicles. What kind of wear and tear can 1 push button get after 4 years of owning a vehicle. If this push button is an issue then go back to using a key to start your cars. In all reality it is not the button but the starter that is the issue. Honda should be replacing these starters, free of charge, for going out so quickly. This ends up being a "CASH COW" for Honda by allowing Honda to make nearly $1,000.00 to repair or replace a starter when it goes out. I am very disappointed in hearing that Honda is not making this a recall item. I will pursue a class action suit if Honda tries to bill me for it. Had I known that the 2014 Honda Accord had starter problems I would not have purchased it. Let's get the word out to try to get this on a RECALL LIST.

- Darryl S., Glendora, US

May 022018

Accord LX 2.4L V4

This has been an intermittent problem with my 2014 Honda Accord for about the last 30,000 miles. When I turn on the key, dash lights come on but nothing happens with the starter part. There is no sound, no clicking as it would with a low battery. Sometimes it seems like there is a faint “humming” noise. The car can start as normal several times without an issue, then begin failing the first, second, or third try. The issue has gotten progressively worse. Today (May 2, 2018), with wife, child and dog in the car, I could not get it to start for over 30 minutes after continual trying (40-50 tries at least). About 15 minutes after calling AAA, it started. Each time I have asked mechanics and dealer, they have said it must be happening when I bring it in. They also say they are not aware of any reported issues such as this. One dealer said they did not have proper equipment to even check it. This is not what one would expect from a Honda.

Update from May 8, 2018: I printed out various complaints regarding the 2014 Honda starting issue and delivered to the dealer. They ended up duplicating the issue. The solution was to replace the starter. One particular complaint I had read described the same identical issue. After pushing by the owner, Honda stepped in and took care of it at no charge. It appears that they did the same with mine. I am guessing it is being done to possibly avoid a wider recall.

- Greg H., Dexter, ME, US

Jun 302018

Accord LX 2.4L

It's 109 degrees outside.. got back from car wash early in the morning so I don't go when hot... parked in garage for 5 min. Came back out and nothing, only clicks... I know it's not the battery because I get 12.8 volts before I try.... and it's new battery, maybe 4 months old... Honda needs to get on this fast ... I'm lucky I still have warranty with Maxcare... but man it's so unsafe.. I can get stranded with baby and wife in this heat.. I can't imagine what I would do...

- Ahskur K., Streamwood, IL, US

Feb 152018

Accord LX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

3 year + car failed to start intermittently. No cranking, no clicking. After calling Honda to complain about this issue, they said they needed a diagnosis from a dealer, so I took the car to the dealer and got the problem diagnosed for $130, which would be deducted from the bill if they were the ones fixing it, for around $900.

I'm in the process of asking Honda to take care of this expense, but as the car is out of warranty in terms of time (by months), they told me it might be possible under a "good will" gesture on their part.

So I've been waiting for a response since last week being switched through 2 "case managers" when I started the process, and it may take a couple more days to even find out if they will cover it.

I've been waiting for a resolution and not yet fixed the car. Meanwhile I rented a car... I hope the wait will be worth it and Honda actually takes care of most of the expenses.

- Cy C., Chino Hills, US

Mar 122018

Accord LX

I bought Honda Accord 4 door brand new and had starting problem as described by others. I brought to dealer but they could not find out the issue, however they did change the starter and the problem went away, so far so good.

Recently I bought another Honda Accord 2014. This car is with 47k and started to show the same problem. Unlike my other Honda, this one showed battery sensor problem. The engine won't turn over, it failed before that. I changed the sensor, it is still the same problem. When the weather is cold, it won't start. It will start in the afternoon hour. At least right now from about two week observation, it is the case. Just do not know when it will happen, the car may start no problem, like my other 2014 Honda. My other Honda does not seem to relate to temperature of the day. I am in Florida, even a warm weather, just drove to the mall, and one hour later, the car won't start, after 10 minutes struggle, it would start no problem.

- Zhen S., Largo, FL, US

Feb 112018

Accord LX

I push the starter button, it just clicks. Sometimes it will crank on the second try. Sometimes it won't start even after 30-45 minutes of waiting and trying over and over. Then, if you let the car sit for several hours it starts right up. This started happening a few months ago, when it had about 65,000 miles on it. The battery has been replaced. The batteries in the keyless fob are good. It has happened numerous times now.

I've been stuck an hour from home, thought I was going to have to have it towed and then after about an hour of sitting it started right up. Last week I had bought groceries, loaded them in the trunk in the pouring rain and the car just "clicked" would not ever start. I had to call for a ride home, then later on that night hubby went back and it started.

Friday, February 9, it left my husband, son, and dog stranded. They had to walk about a mile to find a ride. Then went back later that night and it cranked right up.

- Lori B., Baldwin, US

Dec 112017

• CVT transmission

Our low mileage (1 family) 14 Honda Accord EX 2.4 CVT (purchased new) is now out of warranty and it push button start system began to fail. I jump started the car about 8 times to keep it going. After having the factory batter tested (it was still ok). I went online for advice.

After reading alt. and starter replacements that didn't cure the problem I found a practical cure.

The 4 cylinder 2.4 Accord uses a very small battery. The V-6 model uses a much higher cranking amp battery but it needs the larger battery box (cheep fix / order at the dealer).

After replacing the battery (and its box) my car runs like new, even in cold weather!

Before replacing major parts buy yourself a V-6 rated battery and enjoy your Honda again.

- clydenva, North Chesterfield, US

Sep 022017

• CVT transmission

I have a 2014 Honda Accord EX, bought it new and now it has 45,000. This is my second time I am having same issue with my Honda not starting. First time was two months ago and now again last night.

I have a push button and it just makes a few clicks when I push the button, but does not start. Last time It happened I had a friend to jump start me. I took it to dealership and they said nothing was wrong with my battery. I am not sure if its the starter or battery this time, but I just wanted to post this in case someone is looking into this matter to get this issue recalled with Honda. This is my third Honda Accord, I had two Civics and one CRV and If Honda does not do something about this issue this will be my last Honda.

If anyone has any suggestions on this issue or had this problem fixed please let me know so I can get this fixed.

- Demir K., MEMPHIS, TN, US

Sep 192017

Accord Sport

Bought this Honda Accord Sport brand new in 2014. Began having problems with it just three years later..right after warranty ended. First it started not turning on once every two tries of turning the key. The ignition would just click and everything else seemed to work, but the engine would not turn over. Then it became a couple of times within days every now and then. Then it progressively got worse as the weeks passed. About one month later it became turning the key ten or more times to try to get it to start, but it wouldn't do it every single time, which I thought was weird and probably why it took me so long to get it checked. We switched the battery because it needed to get replaced, which might be yet another issue with Honda. Keep in mind that this car was still under 27,000 miles. The final time before I had no choice but to take it in to the dealer, it refused to start. My husband finally got it to work and we took it straight to the dealer. They told us it was the starter. I had already looked up this issue online and found several complaints about it. From what I read, some people had been told it was the battery, others the alternator, and others miscellaneous issues. It seems none of those "fixes" actually fixed the problem for these people. So I was pretty skeptical that replacing the starter would fix this issue. It's been about a week and so far it's been working well, but I've read a previous complaint here where after getting the starter replaced the owner began having problems again after six months. I'm hoping that will not be my case, so I will keep my fingers crossed. My warranty had just expired, but because I was covered for mechanical breakdown through my auto insurance, I only ended up paying the deductible for getting the starter replaced ($250) as opposed to paying the almost $900 full cost. I hope Honda considers recalling vehicles on this issue because it seems it's happening to a lot of Honda Accord owners. I used to own a 2003 Honda Civic before this Accord and it lasted me over 10 years with no major issues. I definitely never had this problem with my old reliable. Honda needs to stand behind it's brand and continue making quality vehicles for it's customers.

- Sonia G., San Antonio, US

Jun 012017

Accord EX-L V6

I have a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L coupe V6 Auto, when I go to start the car via push button, it makes a static sound and won't start. Then it won't make any sound, the brake pedal moves on its own down as if being pressed after I release it while pushing the start button. Read there's a recall on the battery sensor, I have an appointment coming up this week. I asked the Honda dealership what it could possibly be and she said possibly a bad starter. I read online people having same issues. They change the starter and they continue to have the same problem. Others say it's the battery in the key fob, I have a new battery in that. The car battery is 100% so I know its not the actual battery. I'm very disappointed with Honda right now. This is my 9th Honda and I have only had one issue out of all the Honda's I owned. The other issue was a 2003 Honda Accord V6 automatic, in which the transmission went out right before my warranty ended so Honda replaced the tranny no problem.

- John D., Cincinnati, US

May 012017

Accord EXL 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

My 2014 Honda Accord EX-L was not starting. Sometimes it would and sometimes not. The dealer said it was the starter and would be $650 to replace. I questioned him why it would be happening on a car less then 3 years old and he said it was fairly common and does 3 or 4 a month.

I had the work done and wrote a letter to American Honda to express to explain what happened and my disappointment. They never contacted me...but after several phone calls because customer service never could get a hold of the rep who was handling my case (even though the notes said she tried several times to contact me....big lie) she told me that it was my problem because the car had 39,000 miles and was out of warranty. I've seen many people having the exact same problem and Honda knows they have a problem but refuse to acknowledge or address it.

So now it's 5 months later and the car has left me stranded again. It will not start. I'm done with Honda, They used to make a quality vehicle but now just living off the reputation. They are crap!

- tompetty, Valdosta, US

Jul 112017

Accord EX 2.4L

I have had this 2014 since Oct. 2013. I had to change the battery in early 2016, What the hell is wrong with Honda??? Only about 2 and half years and I have to change the battery. Now, the freaking engine won't start. Every time, I try to start, all I hear is clicking. Hopefully, Honda will recall this since this problem happens on a lot of cars/

- Tim N., Lowell, US

Aug 122017

Accord EXL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I purchased my 2014 Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder in December, 2013. Up until now, the car has been reliable. In early August, I left a local restaurant to start my car. It is a push button start version. Nothing happened. I tried several times and nothing. I called AAA and they dispatched a tow truck. Upon arrival, he asked me to "try one more time." I did and the car started. I drove to Smart Honda in Des Moines, IA. They checked the battery and said it was fine. It's only 1 year old. They started the car several times and suggested I probably just forgot to put my foot on the brake when I started the car! Absolutely not. I am not a moron. I have owned the car for 3.5 years and it has always started. Three weeks later, (today) I tried to start the car in my garage. Same problem. 1 click and it went into auxiliary mode. Tried over and over and over. No luck. I waited 2 hours and went out and tried again. The car started. I've researched this problem and I know it is the starter made by Mitsubishi. I will call the dealership AGAIN tomorrow to detail my problems. This car is not safe to drive. It can leave you stranded anywhere. Not sure how this will turnout, but will update once resolved.

Update from Sep 3, 2017: Left the car at the dealership for 3 days. They were kind enough to give me a loaner vehicle. Although they could not replicate the problem, I had an extended warranty, 7 years, 100,000 miles. It was difficult to get the starter replaced, but they basically ruled out anything else. I paid $100.00 deductible for the replacement starter. I am hoping this starter lasts longer than 24,000 miles, but I don't have much faith. I've had car back 2 days.

- David E., Urbandale, IA, US

May 022017

Accord Sport

This has been an ongoing issue.... I get in my car, turn the key, I hear a click but the car does not start. This has been a huge pain!! I have been stranded at work late at night until I can get it to start. I called Honda, and they admit they have been seen a huge amount of vehicle the same year and model as mine with the same problem. I ask if there is a recall, of course one has yet to be issued. I ask how I could go about reporting a complaint to initiate a recall, he recommends I call Honda directly. I do as told, call Honda directly and after taking all my information and the problem info down, the gal asks me what do I want her to do for me? um, take note of the issue and look into the matter!!!! Honda needs to issue a recall ASAP!!!

- tacsa519, Stockton, US

Apr 172017

Accord LX

Honda 2014 LX, 24K Miles. Failed start, just click no sound in the engine. Thinking of failing starter (no engage or push). After 5x click, it will

surprise me with an engine start. Dealer told me Starter cost $1050 plus $150 diag test. Ouuchhh, pain in the ass with 2014 (24K Miles), no accident at all. HONDA try to look a recall on the Starter.

- el payaso, Everett, US

Mar 102017

Accord EXL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Car has 13,500 miles on it and will not hold charge for more than three days. Honda is really dropping the ball, when comes to standing behind their product, I contacted the dealership and told them exactly what I did to verify the problem, made an appointment and they did exactly what I had done as far as testing the the battery and charging system, The dealership then told me there is nothing they can do??? If vehicle sits more than three days, it will not start under its own power. I called Honda customer support and reported the issue and requested that they document what my call was about and why I will never again be purchasing a Honda product. Honda rep responded that vehicle needed to be driven more? What happens if vehicle sits in airport ramp for numerous days?? I do not care if a new battery is required or needs to be purchased, its just the fact that the dealership said their is nothing they can do, and then I see all the same complaints on these boards, Honda is really sucking these days and their quality has really gone to hell.

- Tim C., Saint George, UT, US

Mar 122017

Accord EX-L

Fairly new Honda Accord 2014. Bought it straight from the dealer as a new car. Just 3 years later it fails to start (appears to be during cold weather though), they told me that it is a starter problem and it is not covered under any warranty. Honda was probably producing good cars long time ago, but after they established themselves they don't seem to care about the quality of their cars anymore.

- Ashley S., Yonkers, US