6.9

Most common solutions:

1. polish or repaint (7 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Mar 012018

Accord

Paint peeling around back windshield. Color of car is dark blue. Where the peeling is located, the color is now white.

- jcynthia, Abilene, US

Mar 062018

Accord ES

click to see larger images

clear coat problem clear coat problem clear coat problem clear coat problem clear coat problem clear coat problem

This car is a 2015 Honda Accord that was purchased brand new from the dealer (Largo Honda in Florida). At approximately the 2 1/2 year mark (early 2018) we started noticing (probably started much earlier) the spider-like blemishes appearing on the clear coat of the car on the left side of the car including the driver's door, and rear door and near gas cover. At first, did not really think much of it as it appeared to be something that would wash or wax off but that was not the case. These blemishes then had the paint fall off and turned into exposed metal(early rust signs) that formed into circular shapes.

We approached the dealer earlier this year to point these out to them, first a local Honda dealer nearby (Braman) and then took it to the Honda Dealer where the car was purchased (Largo). The first dealer service manager quickly dismissed it as either bird droppings or tree sap and that was all they said. The second dealer also tried to indicate it may be the same origin but did volunteer to have the "Regional Honda Dealer Rep" look at it to determine if it was covered under the new car warranty.

Have been dealing with this issues for at least 3 months getting the run around by the dealer and regional rep, which I have never seen because the dealer states that the rep just "shows up" at the dealership whenever they show up since they cover the entire South Florida market. After complaining via calls and various emails, they asked me to obtain a quote from a local body shop to repaint the affected areas (entire left side of car) and the quote was for $1124. Still getting the run around from the service manager stating that he would show the quote to the Regional rep and see what they will do but I have not heard back from anyone after another 3 weeks and I am now escalating this issue further.

The issue is that I don't buy the explanation on the bird droppings and tree sap and that is why I am pursuing this issue before the original 3 year new car warranty expires because then I would have no prayer! The paint damage is shaped in small circles and is on the side of the car, not on top where bird droppings or tree sap could settle into a circular mark. You don't get round circles forming onto the side of the car from droppings as gravity would not work that way. Instead we should see longer drip-like marks if the "bird theory" were the case. Also, there are no other such marks on the hood, roof top or trunk top of the car so it appears these birds poop sideways onto the car and the poop does not drip (stays as a circle).

I have another black car (2009 Lexus) and have no such paint damage and the car is 9 years old compared to a 30 month old Honda. By the way, the car is washed and waxed on a regular basis so they can't blame it on that either.

In looking at complaints online it appears that Honda has had several clear coat complaints of similar fashion, especially in some of their older models to the point that they had recalls for rust issues. Some newer model owners have complained as well but since these issues are not safety related they are not a priority to Honda so they will do whatever they can to look the other way and blame it on "environmental issues".

- Oscar S., Miami, US

May 012016

Accord EXL

Noticed a blemish from a good distance away when I got closer it was down to the bare metal. Began to notice this issue all around the car especially on the hood, trunk and around the gas tank.

- Alicia P., West Palm Beach, FL, US

Apr 062015

Accord EX

I noticed some spots so I immediately went to the dealership and they took some pictures and had mentioned that there had been several other cars that had been in with the same problem. I had noticed several spots but as we looked further there were probably 100 spots some to the bare medal. A few weeks later I was called and asked to come in because a Honda rep was going to be there. I did and the rep looked over the car and basically blamed the government for regulations about paint. He told me basically that it was not their fault nor was it mine. I talked to a auto body person recently and he said that it could have been something in the plant at the time of being painted, something about static on the car and the paint not sticking on those areas.

- ooh, Newark, OH, USA

Dec 162015

Accord EX 4 cyl

clear coat problem

The paint is bubble- up and clear finish is coming off

- Jack P., Staten Island, NY, US

Mar 172016

Accord Touring 3.2L V6

Brought the car brand new the 29th of November 2014 from SONS Honda in McDonough, Georgia. Did not notice any problems with the paint until a year later. There are spots on the hood, truck, and roof of the vehicle where the clear coat and paint has peeled off leaving bare metal. I reported the issue to SONS Honda on 17 March and was told it will take 3 to 4 weeks for Honda Corporate to respond with whether they will repair or not. I have read on-line that Honda has a history with peeling clear coat and Accords, Civics, and Odysseys.

- Carlton R., Senoia, GA, USA

Jan 042016

Accord Sport

We just had the car for a couple of months. We noticed bubbling on the paint on the hood after we drove to Illinois for the new year but we ignored it coz we thought we just needed to wash the car. After we did though, we realized the paint really was bubbling and it was all over the car if you closely examine it. We went to our dealership (after a long wait and calling the honda corporate office), and the end result was a very disapponting (and somewhat shocking) "they are not covering it because the damage was caused by an external source". After seeing complaints her on cracking paint, I'm not sure this is a random thing. My wife and I are worried that when summer time comes, these bubbles will eventually crack and peel. Any advice or word from anybody?

- watkinsga, Kennesaw, GA, US

Dec 252015

Accord EX 2.4L

click to see larger images

clear coat problem clear coat problem

These are not scratches, it's a cracked or peeling paint.

- czajka, Burlington, USA

Apr 012015

Accord Touring 3.5

Clear coat shows spider web and holograms. Vehicle was sent to a body shop under warranty to polish and rewax.

- Robert M., Ocala, FL, USA