Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda CR-V:

Sep 242011

CR-V 4-cyl

Both low beam headlights just quit working - I checked the bulbs and they were in working order. There was a burning rubber type smell leading up to the headlights not working. The high beam lights do work.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jun 082011

CR-V 4-cyl

My wife and I own an 02 Honda CR-V that has headlight failure problems. I have researched online and found that there is an issue noted at different forums concerning the steering column electrical connection at the dimmer/turn signal switch. Our headlights failed during normal use in June of 2011. I took my steering column cover off and looked at the electrical connection to the dimmer/turn signal switch and found it to be partially melted. I cleaned the connections and reinstalled the connector. The repair lasted only temporary (2 months) and then the lights failed again. I have determined that the replacement of the wiring connector is the only complete repair, but since I have heard there is an investigation, I wanted to acknowledge that my 02 Honda suffers this problem of a faulty wiring connector from the manufacturer at the dimmer/turn signal switch. Updated 09/07/11 updated 2/23/12

- Fall River, MA, USA

Aug 012011

CR-V 4-cyl

On 8/1/2011, while driving our 2002 Honda CRV, I noticed a strange smell. When darkness fell, I realized that the low beams on my vehicle were not working, through the high beams and every other light on the vehicle worked. This has happened twice before - once in November of 2009, and once in March of 2010. When it happened previously, I first checked the bulbs and fuses. They were all fine. I then researched the issue on the internet, and looked into a wiring harness behind the steering wheel. I found a wiring harness that contained some corrosion between connectors that had melted somewhat. I scraped off the corrosion and applied some dielectric to inhibit future corrosion, and the lights came back on. I spoke with the service attendants at my local Honda dealership (with pictures that I took of the offending harness), and after checking their computers, they told me that there was nothing on record regarding the issue. I have not yet made the (obviously temporary) repair for the most recent occurrence of this issue. I'm thinking that I may take it to the dealership service to see if they can come up with a more permanent solution..... updated 01/17/12

- Norristown, PA, USA

Mar 082011

CR-V 4-cyl

The connector to my headlight dimmer switch over heats, melts and causes my low beam headlights to not turn on. High beams still work. Switch is damaged as a results. This is the second occurrence in the last 6 months. It is a safety issue.

- Athens, AL, USA

Jun 132010

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the instrument panel failed and none of the gauges functioned or lit up. The failure began as intermittent but the panel no longer functioned at all. The contact called the dealer who stated that there were no related recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 83,500 and the current mileage was approximately 84,000.

- Pioneer, CA, USA

Jun 132010

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda CRV. While the contact was driving approximately 65 mph, the supplemental restraint system warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the failure was contributed to the opdf unit which was replaced the following day under the service warranty. The failure persisted after the vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer twice. The estimated repair cost was $600. The manufacturer suggested to the dealer to trouble shoot with an identical part from another vehicle. The dealer was unable to provide that recommendation from the manufacturer and advised that the owner would be responsible for the parts and the labor expense. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 64,500. Updated 07/21/10. Updated 8/2/10 the consumer stated when the SRS light stays on, there is a fault somewhere in the SRS. The system is disabled at this point. In case of a collision, the air bags will not deploy and the seat belts will not tighten. Updated 08/06/10 updated 10/28/10 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired on July 23, 2010. The SRS unit was replaced at a a cost of $ $617.72. Updated 11/01/10

- Erie , PA, USA

Dec 102009

2002 Honda CR-V --- fire hazard in Honda CR-V --- low beam headlights stop functioning... high beams and turn signals remain functional... cause was found to be melted wires and burned / partially melted connector to switch in steering column... 1.5 years earlier the switch had to be replaced for same symptoms... Honda has issued recalls on other models with same type of lights but not on the Honda CR-V... small electrical fire must have occurred to cause the melting and black marks on the connector...

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 202009

2002 Honda CR-V driver side door does not open with remote or from inside with electric switch. Door can only be open manually. This creates safety issues both when approaching the car from outside and inside if one gets trapped.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Dec 152008

All interior gauges flicker and stop working (I.e., fuel, speedometer, odometer, engine temperature, dash lights) and some warning lights flicker (parking brake, maintenance required). It is now happening daily and lasts longer and longer. Car also makes a scary "ticking" sound. Honda dealer stated that instrument cluster has gone bad (shorted out?)

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Apr 012008

CR-V 4-cyl

2002 Honda CR-V door sensors are not working. Consumer states that this is the second time the door sensors stopped working. She states that the sensors do not recognize the driver door being opened. The consumer stated there was no warning or indicator light when the lights were left on after removing the key or when the driver's door was partially opened while moving. The overhead light did not come on when the driver's door was opened. Also, when the consumer unlocked the door and opened the driver's door the vehicle did not recognize that the door was opened and locked by itself. The bulbs started burning out, there was no warning signal or indicator light when the lights were left on after removing the key or when the driver's door was partially open while the vehicle was moving. The overhead light didn't come on when the driver's door was opened. The dealer replaced the door lock actuator. Updated 11/19/14

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Apr 252007

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

The SRS light came on in my 2002 Honda CRV which has only 35000 miles. I took it to the dealer who informed me that the SRS must have went bad and it would cost $700 to fix. I asked if the light on could be caused by the front passenger seat belt locking up regularly which temporarily does not allow you to get enough seat belt to actually reach the buckle and the dealer said that might be the problem but I still would need to replace the whole SRS system. I asked if this was a recall and he said not at this time. I now have checked the recalls and see that the seat belts as well as the air bags have been recalled and I have not been notified of either by the dealer and I would think this would be immediately corrected especially since the SRS light came on which is directly related to both of these safety devices.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 282002

CR-V 4WD 4-cyl

I own a Honda CRV 2002 ex with automatic transmission and ~12,000 miles. My wife drives the car and it has stalled twice while slowing down to turn in our drive way, the exact spot. It's hard to start afterwards. She does start to undo the seat belt right before the car dies. This is not reproducible. This is dangerous and could cause a fatal accident.

- Nesbit, MS, USA

Mar 062003

CR-V 4-cyl

2002 Honda CRV purchased at brickell Honda 12/02 in miami, fl. On 3/6/2003, as car was traveling at approximately 50 mph on a busy highway (palmetto expressway) during rush hour, the car turned off, steering locked. Thankfully I was able to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. It was a miracle I didn't get hit by others traveling at even faster speeds. I took the car, same evening to braman Honda, the closest dealership, where the following day it was repaired. Supposedly, the computer had not been programmed at the time of purchase. This is unacceptable and irresponsible. I could have died, caused significant damage to myself, the car and many others on the same road that day.

- Miami, FL, USA