Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

Oct 162018

CR-V

Took vehicle to tire discounters for first oil change and was told the oil level was high and they could smell gas in the oil. They informed us this was a problem that Honda was aware of and they recommended that we report it to NHTSA.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 202018

CR-V

Repeated loss of power / stall. Checked fluids and oil dipstick level is high and smells strongly of gasoline.

- Portland, OR, USA

CR-V

This is an addendum to complaint number 11140475. Besides a maintenance issue of the oil dilution by gasoline leakage into the crankcase, as reported in that complaint, there is a safety issue with the gasoline mixing with the engine oil on the 1.5 liter turbo. There are raw gasoline fumes in the passenger compartment with the engine running in city traffic. This has caused headaches and nausea to children in the rear passenger seat and problems for the driver as well. The only source of the gas fumes appears to be the gas leakage into the engine.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Oct 202018

CR-V

To my regret, I just purchased the 2018 CRV ex 2wd yesterday, 10/19/2018 brand new with 255 miles on it. Based on the complaints on the turbo charged 1.5 L 190 hp engine having the possibility gas in the oil tank, I regret this may be true. I found this on information out on consumer reports the night before and grew anxious. This car was stationary in my garage. This morning before starting the engine, I decided to check the oil. I removed the dipstick, and it had a strong odor of gasoline present. I have had many cars and all but one not by Honda. Never smelled gasoline on any oil dipstick in my life. But I never had a turbo engine either. At this point, I do not know how unsafe this condition in the days that follow. But I believe this definitely not good.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Mar 302018

CR-V

Oil level rises and smells of gasoline. The picture provided shows oil above full line and only has 400 miles since oil change. As more miles are driven, I will take additional pictures.

- Bella Vista, AR, USA

Oct 082018

CR-V

Bought car in may, 2018 at smart Honda, Iowa. At 1200 miles, discovered gas in my oil. It smelled of gas when the heater was on. I had the oil changed at dealer and kept the old oil sample for reference. Contacted manuf 's csr on 10/17 and rep said, we will change the oil when you want but there is no fix yet and nothing on the horizon. I checked the oil when the car was stationary and drive only short distances when absolutely necessary as I fear stalling and seizing of the engine occurs under these conditions. The old oil has the viscosity of alcohol and is black. I am getting poor (26 mpg) mileage and the oil stick was "over-topped." I'm concerned that the engine rings and cylinders are experiencing premature wear under these conditions, which is only common sense. I would like to give the car back for a refund or purchase another new car without this engine. I have read about many others experiencing stalling at dangerous and inappropriate times. I would not sell this car to anyone under these circumstances or trade it in to anyone other than the dealer so the vehicle is basically worthless. Even with a "fix" I would be changing my oil every 500 to 1,000 miles out of fear of stalling on the highway. Needless to say I'm devastated that this could happen to my brand new car. I tend to keep cars 10 years. I feel I will lose a lot of money and time because of this lemon. Honda (manuf) has not been very helpful to me. Honda has stopped selling this engine for 2019 but continues to sell 2018's. they sold one to me when they knew about this problem back in Jan 2018 according to consumer reports. This engine defect has prevented me from enjoying normal life. I can't take long trips or do the things I normally do. I'm a retired widower age 64 and this is my only car. Please advise asap. Thank you for your time.

- Johnston, IA, USA

CR-V

Purchased this car from keating Honda in conroe, tx. Since day 1 I have had issues with my lcd screen that controls the audio and climate. About mid September I started having issues with it shutting off along with the lcd screen behind the steering wheel that shows how fast I'm going. Dealership aware but had issues with getting loaner so unable to drop off for repair. The screen would flicker and shut off while driving or "audio isn't responding" error shows up and both lcd screens go out while driving. I would start the car and would receive an error message like "anti theft system: This system has lost power. Press the power key for more than two seconds to enable the system"... please fix your sh*t! I was given a warning in conroe because I was speeding and unaware of my speed due to this issue and it seems to be a daily problem for me.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Oct 172018

CR-V

Engine oil being diluted with gasoline. Strong fuel smell at the dipstick when checking oil level. Oil level rising. Seen a few weeks after having the oil changed at the dealer. Internet research indicates this is a known problem, so I have also notified Honda. Honda needs to be encouraged to develop a fix quickly, as their recommended solution of more frequent oil changes in the 500 to 1000 mile range is unacceptable. My concern is fuel in the oil will shorten engine life.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Aug 012018

CR-V

Purchase new with 11 miles. At about 100 miles, filled gas tank, checked the oil level. I smelled gasoline on the dipstick. Removed oil filler cap and smelled gasoline again.

- Dayton, NV, USA

Sep 112018

CR-V

Our new 2018 Honda cr-ex-L has the 1.5L turbo engine. After 1,012 total miles, the oil was more than a quart high and smelled of gasoline. I had checked the oil level when we received the vehicle new and it had been normal - between the upper and lower marks while cold. I could smell gasoline both on the rag and coming from the crankcase. I took the car to the Honda dealership and communicated the above plus I expressed safety concerns from the gasoline. The dealership contacted the regional Honda service rep and they decided to change the oil and filter as a temporary solution. Honda usa paid for the oil change and told the dealer that ┐we know about the problem and are working on a solution but we do not have one yet.┐ Honda was unable to answer any of our safety related concerns. We asked about: Engine fire, fuel vapors in the passenger cabin, engine stalling, heater/defrost not working in winter, damage to the engine from fuel contaminated oil. All questions had no answer from either Honda usa nor from the dealer. After ~ 600 miles of additional driving, the problem is back as the oil is over-full again. It is looking like the oil will need to be changed every 800 miles of driving. We remain concerned about the health and safety risks of the vehicle due to the fuel accumulating in oil problem. We assume that the gasoline is accumulating in the oil during engine running useage of the vehicle; so injector spray is wrong rather than a fuel-line leak.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

CR-V

My engine oil is registering high on the dipstick and has a very strong gasoline smell. I googled these symptoms and was shocked to find out that this is a common problem with the earth dreams 1.5 turbo engine, that Honda has known about, and has done nothing to fix!!!!!!! I didn't spend $31,000 on a brand new car with a defective engine that won't last.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Oct 052018

CR-V

Gasoline smell in passenger cabin when driving car. Gas somehow leaks into engine crankcase and dilutes oil and causes oil level to be overfilled. This is a continuing issue, not just a single occurrence.

- Hoover, AL, USA

CR-V

Obvious fuel smell on my dipstick. Dipstick reads much higher than normal, too. Car has 3000 miles. Getting its first oil change this week [by a pro]. concerned about potential damage to engine. Will have original oil filter saved. Car is 4 months old! 2018 Honda CRV

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Oct 112018

CR-V

The contact owns a 2018 Honda CR-V. while driving 25 mph, the engine stalled and the check engine indicator illuminated and flashed. The contact was able to restart the engine and regain normal function. The vehicle was taken to helena Honda (3377 us highway 12, East helena, Montana 59601, (877) 962-2573). The dealer inspected the engine area for rodents that may have been caught in the engine compartment, causing the engine to stall. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle back if the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 5,980.

- Helena, MT, USA

CR-V

My car has stalled twice immediately on cold start. This is an issue as both times it resulted in unexpected rollback, as my garage is on a slope, and it seemed like the brake pedal was still "locked" like in engine off mode, so I rolled back despite pressing the pedal. This could be a serious safety consideration if I had people around my car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 082018

CR-V

I heard about gasoline getting into engine oil on some 2017 and 2018 Honda Cr-vs with 1.5 liter turbo engines, so started monitoring mine. I noted a gasoline odor on the oil dipstick, and the oil level was slowly increasing above the full mark. I took the car into my Honda dealer on 10/8/18 and asked if they had heard of this problem. They said they had not. Showed the service manager my car, and he stated that the gasoline odor in the oil and the rising oil level were not normal. I also told him I sometimes smell a gasoline odor in the cabin for a few seconds after starting the car. He recommended an immediate oil change, which was done that same day. He said he would notify Honda about my problem and would advise me when a fix is available. So far I have had no drivability issues.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Oct 072018

CR-V

I purchased this 2018 CR-V AWD in January 2018. Now as of October 2018, after 10 months of ownership we are experiencing strong smells of fuel inside the cabin everytime we drive on a cold day. The symptoms are in line with the October 2018 consumer reports article on this known issue. I called my dealer on October 15, 2018 and they have noted that Honda knows of this issue and does not have a fix. Obviously this is a concern for a $30K+ vehicle and that myself and my young children should not be exposed to the smell of fuel everytime we drive the CR-V.

- Lake Forest Park, WA, USA

Oct 102018

CR-V

Gas dilution with engine oil causing raise of engine oil level over the maximum limit of dip stick. Also strong fuel smell is coming from the dip stick when pull over. So far no fuel smell inside the cabin. Drove only 800miles. Talked to the dealer about the issue on Oct 13 they said it is a known problem for cr V. they are waiting for the Honda manufacturer's fix which suppose to come on this November. No engine diagnose and oil change done.

- Allentown, NJ, USA

CR-V

Gasoline present in oil. Smell in cabin of car. Dip stick smells of gas and is indicating over filled. Please find a solution.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

CR-V

The car has a low speed hesitation and the engine oil smells like gasoline.

- Miami, FL, USA