1.6

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

Mar 192018

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the a cellular build up had occurred in the transmission and fluid leaked out. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Aug 112017

Civic

I just bought a Honda Civic 2002 thinking it was a safe reliable care when all of a sudden the transmisson starts giving out in the path of cars causing my saftey to be a concern I think its for the best of Honda drivers that this car gets recalled for its transmission issues I almost dont even want a Honda anymore

- Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 022017

Civic

I just bought a 2002 Honda thinking it was a safe reliable car. Then I found out it is a financial mistake because the transmisson is giving out. This experince is changing my veiw on Honda for the worst because now im having so many problems and not enough money to fix it this vehicle should be recalled for its transmisson issues

- Whittier, CA, USA

Nov 012009

Civic

Transmition went out at 74400 miles with no warning ⚠️ town driving took corner no 3rd or 4th gear on automatic transmition could only GO20 miles an hour got it back home cost 2500 buck S to fix with Honda "good will " policy. Now it has blown cylinder head at 1400000 car loses coolant and comes out over flow tank

- Ripon, CA, USA

Apr 122017

Civic

My Honda lost power and was really sluggish on the highway with an 18 wheeler behind me.come to find out I had to put in a transmission.now, less than a year later I get a check engine light reading PO740 01/01 tcc circute malfunction.put in too much money to fix something else.my son was coming back from college with an hour left to get home when light came on second time.

- Denton, NC, USA

Mar 112017

Civic

Transmission goes into gear then will not engage after 30 seconds. Reversed then put in drive and now it wont engage

- Plano, TX, USA

Nov 232014

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted out of gear while being operated at various speeds. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician flushed the transmission fluid however the failure recurred. The contact replaced the transmission however after being operated for 60,000 miles, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Civic

Transmission went out at 130,000 miles. Seems like a lot of other people have same issue so I tried calling Honda but since the car is pretty old they refused to help.

- Aurora, IL, USA

May 082016

Civic

I was driving my vehicle at approximately 45 mph and was entering a major intersection when the rpms reved up to approximately 4000 and I lost all control of the speed of the vehicle and this all happened with a sudden jerk. I then pushed my gear shiftier (car is automatic) into neutral then back into drive while trying to avoid cars in the intersection. The car finally engaged again and I was able to pull into a nearby gas station. I had to sit in the gas station with the car off for about 30 minutes before I could drive home. About 10 minutes later the vehicle did the same thing and almost rear ended another vehicle. I was pretty sure it was a transmission issue and couldn't call the mechanic till the next morning because this happened on a Sunday evening and shops were not open. I was able to take it in the next morning to a mechanic who of which experienced the same issue while test driving my vehicle unfortunately with my vehicle the transmission is encased and he gave me the number for a Honda transmission shop. Upon speaking to the Honda specialist he informed me that this was a common problem with Honda's and that the transmission would have to be rebuilt for the car to be salvageable. When asked how much it would cost I was told 2550 plus state taxes. Upon calling Honda I was told that they would not assist in covering the cost even though its a common problem for their vehicles and I could have been killed or my kids. This problem needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Apr 252016

Civic

Takata recall replaced transmission $3,000 2014. Radiator 2015.. temp rising shut off 2 times on freeway same day $283. Towing fee on aaa plus ins.. blown gasket. April 2016. Done. Sitting in garage. Looking for Toyota prius, I see they also have lots of problems. What shall I do? can't find your Honda hybrid, I know they have them. Yes was in motion on the hwy.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Oct 092015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle failed to shift gears and stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted, but only shifted into the neutral position. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Civic

Without any warning or symptoms the engine light came on and stayed on. Dealer determined transmission has failed, based on dtc codes: P0700 A/T system P0730 incorrect gear ratio dealer says transmission needs to be replaced at a cost of (with a used transmission with 89,000 miles on it a a six month/6000 mile warranty) $2,700 installed. I declined. Car seems to be running fine but engine warning light remains on, causing MA vehicle safety inspection failure and I now have 60 days to repair it or take it off the road. The problem with Honda transmissions seems to be endemic, but a secret. Others have fared much worse with transmission failures on the road.

- Northfield, MA, USA

Jun 032015

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. While driving at 25 mph, an abnormal noise was heard from the front end of the vehicle when shifting gears. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jun 172014

Civic

I was driving on the freeway going about 30 mph in moderate traffic when the car stopped responding to my gas pedal and the rpms just started to spike up. This put me in a dangerous situation and the car behind me almost rear ended me but swerved away. Luckily my car managed to glide to the right shoulder and out of harm's way. Afterward I had to get my car towed. I was quoted at various dealerships that the repair would be excess of 3000, so now I'm stuck with repairs that exceed the value of my car. Apparently, Honda didn't do a good job of creating a reliable transmission.

- Temple City, CA, USA

Feb 252015

Civic

Transmission failed without any warning signs on 2001 Honda Civic. Many other users have had same issue.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 072012

Civic

The first thing was I noticed the temp starting to rise, immediately was shut off and radiator replaced. Few months later November of 2013, temp started to rise, didn't even get hot. Blown head gasket. It sat till July 2014, when a new motor was installed. Drove good until October 2014 when out of no where my transmission quit working!

- Seymour, WI, USA

Mar 172014

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle suddenly became resistant to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission had malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Dec 292013

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when the engine RPM's began to increase but the vehicle would not accelerate. In addition, the check engine warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Snellville , MD, USA

Oct 142013

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while parking, he attempted to shift into reverse but it failed to engage. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would only move forward. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be rebuilt. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 83,808. Updated 11/21/13

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Oct 082013

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, she noticed a grinding noise and the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician stated that the transmission would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 115,300.

- Northampton, MA, USA