9.0

$2,910

Most common solutions:

1. get new engine (57 reports)
  3. replace short block (27 reports)
  4. replaced engine (18 reports)
  5. honda paid for full repair (12 reports)
  6. get a new car (9 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Jan 102011

Civic LX

I bought my 2006 Honda Civic brand new from the dealership back in July of 2006. I purchased a Honda because of their reputation of being reliable vehicles. However, I have had NOTHING but problems with this car. Aside from the numerous recalls... I had to have the engine replaced. The Honda dealership said the engine was in such bad condition that they took a video of it to send to Honda. Mind you there was only 50,000 miles on the car (if even that) at the time. Virtually everything has had to be replaced on this vehicle. It has not been reliable in the slightest. I am very disappointed in Honda and at this point would not purchase one again.

- Elizabeth W., San Diego, CA, US

Sep 012011

Civic 1.8L

THIS CAR NEED NEW MOTOR THIS MONOBLOCK IS RUPTURE FOR FABRIC NO GOOD QUALITY, IS A DEFECT OF MANUFACTURE HONDA IS NOT GOOD CAR AND NOY GOOD FOR PERSONAL INJURE FOR TOXIC GAS IN PASAGER CAB, VERY TOXIC. PENALITY CRIMINAL COMPANY.

- oscarorozco, Metepec, Estado de Mexico, Mexico

Oct 052011

Civic LX 1.8L

Not happy with Honda at all. Just call the dealer and there is a recall for this problem.

I am not sure what will happen next. For now I am stuck with this BAD Honda car.

- anjum, Springfield, VA, US

May 232011

Civic DX-G 1.8L

2006 honda cicic - 82234 km---could not start the car -- dealer checked --- cracked engine block --replaced new engine under standand warantty - replaced ignition coil paid by my self

- Xuejun C., Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Jul 012011

Civic

I think I have the standard engine block crack that everyone else seems to be having. I went to get an oil change and they told me I was leaking coolant from somewhere they couldn't see. I tried to take it to the nearest Honda shop but it suddenly shot up to red (as hot as it could get) and when I tried to pull over it was dead. I'm taking it in a couple days and crossing my fingers for a new engine paid by Honda.

Update from Jul 13, 2011: I took my car to Honda of Sumner because my local Honda shop kept trying to make it sound like it was my fault since the car wouldn't even start. The engine was apparently ruined due to it over heating but Honda of Sumner is getting me a new engine for free and they're even paying for a retal for me! They've been awesome so I suggest anyone with the same problem in my area to go to Honda of Sumner.

- Leah J., Olympia, WA, US

Jul 012011

Civic LX 1.8L

Found Coolant on my garage floor after I pulled car out of garage. Looks like it is leaking from the engine block! Taking to the dealer next Tuesday.. Now I have to take a day off from work...What a Headache!!!

- Chris G., Tucson, AZ, US

Jun 052011

Civic LX 1.8L

I got my civic serviced at dealer Magnum Honda. Within 48 hours and 48 kilometers, the engine emitted huge smoke and knocking sound and it just blocked. When I got the car towed to the same dealer, I saw a hole right in the middle of the engine block. I was informed by the dealer that water had entered the engine block. When I asked the dealer to verify if the condition of car if it looks like it has been into too deep water or does it look tempered or did the mileage show I have driven far enough to a place that was flooded or was there any flood in Bangalore in those 2 days? I failed to get any response. The car was doing perfectly fine for last nearly 5 years. It never had any problem or met with any accident and the condition is as close to new as it can be.

I just been robbed off a car either by Honda or by the dealer. I am not sure of the ability of a car to run well after its engine has been done. I have never driven a car whose engine has been done. And I can not risk driving with my family at odd hours in a car that breaks down. Besides, the repair will cost as much as the resale value of the car.

Is there any was that Honda looks at this complaint and does something. Reaching Honda helpline in India meant wasting more than 2 weeks to get back to the same dealer who again gave the same answer. I did not get the answer why and how did water went inside. It could only have been done during servicing with happened just before the breakdown.

Please ask Honda guys to examine the car objectively and replace the car immediately. For more than 3 weeks, the car is lying in the workshop.

- Ambuj S., Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Feb 182011

Civic LX 1.8L

My car overheated after driving to St. Petersburg and back to Winter Haven fl. I had it checked at a mom and pop auto repair and was told my engine block was cracked and needed a new engine. I then googled the issue and found tha honda was extending warranty on cracked engine blocks to 8 years/ unlimited mileage. I took my car to the dealership and they confirmed that Honda would pay for the repairs. I requested a rental car reimbursement/loaner car and was denied one. No biggie as I was happy that I did not have to get a new engine with the one I have running at 146000 miles!

Not sure if they will replace engine or just the block. The service advisor told me they would replace the "small block".

- Sergio J., Winter Haven, FL, US

Apr 052011

Civic EX 1.8L

I bought my car with 35000 miles 2 yrs ago thinking I got away with a deal...up til yesterday when I got out of my car and smelled engine coolant. sure enough my engine block is cracked on the front side of the engine on the right side of the manifold.call mall of georgia and they told me to bring it in to be fixed,but will not offer of a free rental.just know this needs to be reported so others can be protected.

- jintangible, Cumming, GA, US

Dec 222010

Civic EX

I THINK HONDA KNOWS THERE IS A PROBLEM!!! THEY NEED TO STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT AND BITE THE BULLET AND FIX IT!!!! I BOUGHT A HONDA KNOWING HOW RELIABLE THEY ARE! NOT!!!! IF THERE WAS NOT A PROBLEM THEN WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING THE SAME THING ABOUT THEIR HONDAS! IF I HAVE TO GET EVERY NEWS STATION ON THIS I WILL! THIS IS BULL POOP!

Update from Mar 13, 2011: We contacted Pensacola Honda and they took care of the problem free of charge no questions asked. I am totally satisfied with the Job Pensacola Honda, Pensacola Florida has done

- Gay M., Seminole, AL, US

Oct 182008

Civic LX

My husband was driving his car home from work and it overheated on the freeway. Cracked engine block at 84,000. Honda refused to even discuss it, much less pay for any of it. Went to small claims court, got rent-a-judge. Found several California laws that Honda had violated, including failing to extend warranty due to hidden defect when purchased. Judge refused to hear the laws, refused to read his copy of the salient laws. We tried mediation outside the courtroom first. Took Honda nearly 3 hours of internal discussions to make an offer: a free tune-up. Since we didn't use Honda dealer for maintenance,(used a private mechanic who is certified), judge ignored all the laws and split the difference. So we were stuck with paying $2000 for a NEARLY new engine that still had a warranty. Outrageous from beginning to end.

This must be stopped. It is dangerous. It is expensive. It can prevent someone from getting to work which would result is a lost job, foreclosure, losing everything. Why NHTSA is ignoring this is unknown, but their have been colluding with Honda. How many laws does a corporation have to break before they are held responsible? It is outrageous and evil. Honda actually said on the phone "We don't ever put anything in writing." They laughed at us. They lied to us. They stole our money. Where is the payback? Where is the legal system? Where the h is our government?

NHTSA should be abolished, the members sent to jail, and a REAL consumer protection agency set up to punish Honda and all the others who continue to perpetuate "goodwill" programs. My foot.

- Joan B., Moorpark, CA, US

Jan 192011

Civic LX 1.8L

I was headed home from my office after dark in my 2006 Honda Civic when I heard a whistling noise. Pretty soon the temperature gauge was at the top. I was on a narrow winding road and pulled over the first place I could get off the road and shut it off. Steam was coming out from under the hood. After it had cooled down I open the hood and there was coolant splattered around the engine. There was no cell phone service in this remote area so I walked back down the road to a call box and they called a tow truck and the CHP to come look out for me as I was alone in this remote area with wild animals such as mountain lions and coyotes. It took over an hour for the tow truck to arrive and they towed about 8 miles back to the auto shop in the nearest town. The next day the auto shop told me that the block was cracked. They also told me they were very surprised to see this kind of problem in such a new car.

- Mary W., Julian, CA, US

Nov 132010

Civic 4 cylinder

Fracture in Block reported by Goodyear Service. Towed to Dealer. Waiting for the dealer to report back on severity, fix and cost. I see there may be a warranty extension on these cracked blocks. What would you suggest I do at this point?

- macknert, Jacksonville, FL, US

Dec 152007

Civic

This 2006 Honda Civic is my second Honda, so being a Honda owner I figured I could trust the Honda name and get a safe reliable car. Day one of owning my vehicle the trunk latch broke, minor problem yet still a problem. At 17,000 miles the Left Rear wheel bearing broke loose, luckily a brake shop was open at 10 pm and was able to fix that for me no problem. At 39,000 miles I noticed coolant on my driveway, turns out it was a cracked block. Honda was awesome and fixed the problem with no questions (1 and a half weeks in the shop). When the block was replaced a refurbished pulley bolt was used instead of a new one, at 58000 miles the bolt snapped and the pulley broke loose (another few days in the shop). After the tensioner belt and pulley bolt were both replaced the car seemed to be running great minus the few cosmetic issues (broken seat slide bar and side bar and 3 new visors). At 70,000 miles my car stalled for the first time in the fast lane, no warning lights, I somehow made it to a safe part of the road, where my engine began smoking, Honda tried claiming my fluids were low and caused my engine to burn up even though they had done the routine oil and fluid change less than 3000 miles before, once again my engine was replaced. Less than 9000 miles later on another busy freeway a transmission electrical switch went out shutting all power to my car off completely, got towed to the dealer and it took them over a week to find the problem. They tried saying my care for my car was poor, even though I have receipts of every maintenance check on my car none of them being more than 4000 miles apart. It's sad that my local Honda dealer knows me by name. The last time my civic was in their shop they tried to get me to hand over my car and get a new one, they said they would "give me a good deal", funny it turns out they were going to charge me 4000 above sticker price for a new car. I told them I'll drive mine till it officially dies. Well now I'm at 88000 miles and guess what....the motor mount is cracked. I love my car but I think it's time for a new one. But don't worry, I can almost guarantee there will be a recall for the motor mount, right after every one of my problems has been fixed a recall for the broken part comes out. good luck to all you Civic owners

- Kristi S., Simi, CA, US

Nov 022010

Civic

Count me in the cracked engine block club for the 2006 Honda Civic LX! About two months ago I noticed my engine coolant was very low. Took the car into the dealer they said they checked it and found no leaks. They re-filled the coolant and off I went.

Fast forward to this morning on my way to work I noticed the thermostat maxed out into the red zone! And there was a burning smell coming from the hood. I called the dealership right away and had it towed in. The verdict: A cracked engine block and the short block is being replaced. They have to order the part so they will have my car about 3 to 4 days. In the meantime, I need wheels so had to get a rental car. The dealership at first did not want to cover my rental car. HAHA!! Ya right! I took a meeting with the service manager in his office and told him I would not have to pay for a rental car if this manufacturing defect weren't happening so, they are paying for my rental car. ALSO...I have the defective sun visor issue that is SO common with this car!! I've had EIGHT sun visors in 4 years! This is a 2006 vehicle with only 59K on it. It is also my FIRST HONDA EVER. And unfortunately, my last!! I found out Honda has known about this engine defect since 2008 but I did not get a letter about it until 5 weeks ago. ALSO...whenever it rains, my car makes this weird grinding noise on start-up, but only for a few seconds and only when it rains. Honda can-NOT figure out what this is. I loved my Honda the first 3 years! This is such a let-down. I'm grateful they are replacing my engine block for free, but I should have known about this before I was in "tow-truck country." I'm writing to the CEO that they suck and I'll never buy a Honda again. I'm so disappointed I have always heard that Hondas last a very long time. :(

- J C., Nashville, TN, US

Oct 162010

Civic EX 1.8

Took vehicle for oil change this last weekend and my mechanic notified me about a crack in my engine that is leaking antifreeze. I searched online and found out that this is a fairly common problem. I will be calling Honda to see in what way they can help with this problem. I'm very surprised by this as I've known this brand to be very reliable. My first 2002 Honda Civic (R.I.P. totaled in a 2007 accident) never gave me any problems.

Update from Oct 27, 2010: Called Honda of America and confirmed the extension of the warranty. Took the car to dealer and they took care of the problem by replacing the whole engine block. Process took about 3 1/2 days. Very happy with results.

- sixtyplusfive, San Jose, CA, US

Sep 152010

Civic DX 1.8L

I just bought this 2006 civic from a private party and 3days (right after an oil change) i smelled something burning, the next morning there was blue fluid on my drive way...i thought it was washer fluid since i just had the oil changed (and they topped of the washer fluid) just half a day before i noticed the fluid in my driveway. Long Story short it was a cracked engine! I just bought the car 4 days ago WTF! He must have known before he sold it to me...im so upset. Needles to say I already knew what the mechanic was going to tell me after reading these complaints and made arrangements with M & G auto dismantlers and repair in Rancho Cordova, Ca for a used engine to be put in for 900$ out the door.

They also had done my daughters Transmission on her 2003 Civic for a great price. If you live in Cali and need great service at a great price I recommend them.

This all comes at the same time my 2003 Honda Pilot's transmission went out at 115k. im re-thinking ever buying another Honda! Mt Toyota Solara is still running strong with not a problem in sight! Next will be a toyota for me... for sure!

- luvroses98, Elk Grove, CA, US

Sep 102010

Civic

Driving down the highway car engine all of a sudden white smoke everywhere. Pulled off to the side of the road. Car Died. Like Dead on Arrival - Dead! Luckily I was 8 miles from the dealership. Had the car towed. Then they told me about the "non recall" but extended warrantee...I had only gone 52000 miles! I was highly impressed with the friendly and quick service of South Tacoma Honda. If this had not been covered I would have been in serious trouble.

Now Im concerned. If honda knows this is a problem why do you have to wait until the engine actually cracks, and leaves you stranded. My sister bought the same car the same year she has gone 82,000 miles. The extended "warrantee" only goes up to 80,000. Shame on Honda for not recalling the defective product. These cars should go an easy 150000 miles. Since hers in not yet cracked they are playing their odds, and now she is over the warrantee. It makes her want to buy another kind of vehicle and unfortunately for them Not a honda. Bad Service = no service.

- Jessie A., Tacoma, WA, US

Sep 092010

Civic EX 2.4L

I think it is sad that a 4yr old car has engine block problems. I'm hoping to get goodwill service on it...

- dyemn, Minneapolis, MN, US

Sep 072010

Civic LX 1.8L

I have not yet experienced a cracked block but am very concerned about the letter I just recieved from Honda regarding the issue. They extended the warranty to 8 years but for someone like myself who is only putting about 8,000 miles a year on my car, I'm concerned that if I keep the car for any longer than 8 years, that I'm on my own. I'm also very concerned that the value of my car is diminished because this is a major mechanical issue and any one purchasing my car whether individual or dealership will certainly expect to pay less in case they are left stuck with the block repair.

In short, because Honda chose to extend the warranty instead of issuing a recall, consumers could face financial damages. I will give Honda credit for at least admitting the issue exists. My previous car, a Toyota also had a defective block and Toyota new about it and didn't disclose it to consumers. My block blew right at warranty expiration. Toyota re-blocked the car but then everything else attached to the engine started failing and it was sucking the money and life out of me so at 53,000 miles I had to get rid of a perfectly maintained vehicle. I'll never buy another Toyota. I went back to Honda based on my first Honda which I drove for 9 years with absolutely no problems. It was a perfect car!!

- murrc, Atlanta, GA, US