3.7

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Civic:

Oct 152015

Civic

Clear coat on paint failed after 3 years. Sun visors failed after 4 years and 35K miles. Motor mounts failed at 5 years and 42K miles.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Aug 152015

Civic

The driver side sun visor split and now hangs down obstructing my view. This is a know issue with 2009 and earlier Civics; however, my VIN is not included in the extended warranty as a result of the class action suit.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Aug 212013

Civic

While driving the passenger side sun suddenly flipped/fell down and was just swinging. It seems that the inside of the visor somehow melted/cracked, and the visor became disconnected and loose while driving. I am thankful it was not the driver side visor, as it would have likely hit me in the face/obscured my vision and potentially resulted in an accident. There have been several recalls for Honda sun visors; however when I took my car into the Honda dealership where I purchased the car brand new, they told my my year/model was not a part of the recall.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jul 032011

Civic

This is the second time this has happened in this vehicle. The car was put into park and it moved forward and almost stalled. I had step on the brake to keep from moving forward anymore. This sound like the same complaint listed on the most recent recall made by Honda on the their Accord's and CR-V's.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 162011

Civic 4-cyl

2009 Honda Civic 22,472 miles mostly freeway miles. Grinding noise from front brakes, took vehicle to dealer, they said I needed new pads and to have the rotors turned. Inboard pad (piston side of caliper) was worn to wear indicator, outboard pad still with approx. 90% pad life left although there is a groove in the rotor. Told dealer that this was unacceptable wear and he acknowledged it was a common complaint but not covered under warranty. A quick search of complaints on google affirms that this is indeed a common complaint and indicative of a serious design flaw on Honda's part.

- Mentone, CA, USA

Oct 152009

Civic

Severe and recurrent pulling of my 2009 Honda Civic hybrid requiring three (3) sets of new tires in less than 6 months and 16,000 miles. My vehicle has been taken to my local Honda dealership multiple times to address this concern. It is only a matter of time before the pulling results in an accident involving myself and/or my wife with child. Honda has not been able to identify the root of the pulling problem. Efforts have involved creating a formal case with american Honda. In addition to my local Honda dealership, both the district parts and service manager and case manager supervisor have been consulted. Additionally, I have written two (2) letters directly to Mr. Tetsuo iwamura, the president and CEO of american Honda notifying him of my concerns. I am really in need of any support NHTSA can provide in resolving this safety issue. Presently, I drive in excess of one-hundred (100) miles daily. And, my wife and I purchased this vehicle with the intent of her using this as the family vehicle in the not to distant future. This pulling is very unsafe and at this point I would not even be able to sell it. Honda is stonewalling me. We really need your help. The letters I have written to Mr. Iwamura, which I am willing to provide NHTSA copies, say it all.

- Amarillo , TX, USA