Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Fit:

Apr 032019

Fit

Car stalls and dies after initial start. Sometimes even with warming car up for 5-10 minutes. Outdoor temperature can be 90 degrees and this still happens. If I start my car, let it run for 5 minutes, put it in drive, the minute I begin to slow for a stop sign or simply for an approaching stop or intersection my car will shudder and die. There is no check engine light and two mechanics have found no codes soft or hard to shed any light on why this is happening. I have already paid $300 for a valve adjustment, replaced spark plugs and I'm still having the issue.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 192017

Fit

Driving into a busy intersection and the right drive axle broke. Lucky me and my child were not injured. We had been on the highway right before this and thankful it didn't cause a serious crash. I started to accelerate from a stop sign to take a left onto a busy road. My car revved and then we heard a loud bang and felt like something dropped. Then the car would run but would not work (no fwd, reverse, etc)

- Franklin, MA, USA

Apr 142017

Fit

Takata recall I have trouble with the studs on the wheel breaking. I had new tires put on and one broke, had new break pads put on and another broke. This is a big expense added that should not have to be my place to fix. It is a safety to all that own these vehicles because while driving the wheel can come off. This needs to have recall on it before someone gets killed. Each time one breaks it cost me $400 to have fixed. This was not negelance of the one that was working on my car. This was two different places I had work did to my car. Please check into this asap. I feel I have been a victim of a fault of Honda.

- Nettleton, MS, USA

Dec 012016

Fit

Tire pressure sensor is dead and the repair cost is $500+. correct tire pressure is a safety issue.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Dec 032015

Fit

Multiple door lock actuators have failed--numerous times. The door locks either don't work to unlock or to lock or they make a whirring noise, after which they may open. At 78,119 miles on the car, I replaced both the left rear door lock actuator and the rear hatch lock actuator. At 120,000, the right front door, the left rear (again), and the rear hatch lock (again) have all failed! shop wants $359 each! to repair. Honda customer care provided no assistance other than to say no recalls have been issued.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jul 072015

Fit

(please know my phone # below is not correct, as your system will not accept an international #, and I am an american in germany). My 2009 Honda Fit was a sport version. I do not know what the "affected parts" were. What I do know, is I was driving to work; was going to take a left at a 't' intersection (as I had done hundreds of times before); but my car failed to accelerate out of the way of oncoming traffic. I hadn't been rushed, as I'd left a bit earlier than usual; and traffic was coming in both directions, but was far enough away yet, that I didn't rush my crossing. I had just barely rolled out into the closer lane, with the accelerator peddle pressed maybe half way down, but the car didn't keep going. I saw a minivan approaching, and pressed the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, but the car didn't respond. I then saw the impact of the van into my door. I do not know if the accelerator pedal messed up, or if it was electrical, or the engine, or what. But, the problem is obviously a huge safety issue. The car is totaled; myself, the van driver and one of her passengers were injured.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 232012

Fit 4-cyl

On the evening of March 23, 2012, at approximately 6:30 pm, I was driving my Fit on the pa. Turnpike. I suddenly heard a thud from under the engine, which sounded as though a stone had ricocheted off the road surface onto the underside of the chassis. I immediately noticed voluminous grey smoke issuing from the tailpipe. As I was less than one quarter mile from an exit, I took it and quickly pulled over, shut off the ignition, and jumped out. I noticed a large, growing puddle of oil directly beneath the engine. Prior to my shutting off the ignition, I at no time saw the low oil pressure indicator light up on the instrument panel. As it turns out, the oil plug had inexplicably blown out. Since I purchased my Honda Fit, it has been maintained impeccably, as recommended by the maintenance minder and the manufacturer.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 162014

Fit

When accelerating through a right-hand turn onto a highway on-ramp, all power and power steering in the car turned off, only to turn back on about a second later of it's own Accord when I was nearly off the road.

- Lancaster, PA, USA