Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

Nov 072014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey van. On 11/07/2014, van failed to accelerate and the malfunction indicator was on. I had van towed to the local Honda dealership. The service dept. At dealership said ecl code was P0730 & the transmission needs to be replaced. The approx failure mileage on van was 62,000 miles. I had to pay $3500 for having the Honda dealership rebuilt the transmission. The dealership told me that 3rd gear had heat discoloration & is burned up along with the clutches. I have the photos & also the damaged parts that were replaced by the dealership. Since I had low mileage I contacted Honda but they refused any help saying warranty period on van had expired. I also contacted Honda's recall dept, since I felt that the burnt 3rd gear was related to transmission overheating problem per 2004 Honda recall for 2001 to 2004 vans. Honda said that recall was for 2nd gear & my discoloration was on 3rd gear. This is like splitting hair; since internal damage to transmission was due to the root cause of transmission overheating. I feel with single owner & low mileage of van & with the heat discoloration of transmission parts, Honda is responsible for the premature failure of transmission due to heat buildup. Therefore, Honda should pay me for my cost to rebuild the transmission. The 2004 recall letter clearly states "if heat discoloration exists, the dealer will replace transmission". that letter further states "this work will be done free of charge." I feel Honda is refusing to honor the intent of the 2004 recall letter.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Nov 072014

Odyssey 6-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey van. On 11/07/2014, van failed to accelerate and the malfunction indicator was on. I had van towed to the local Honda dealership. The service dept at the dealership said the ecl code was P0730. They said transmission needs to be replaced. The approximate failure mileage on van was 62000. I had to pay around $3500 for having the dealer rebuilt the transmission. I had the service advisor take photos of the damaged transmission. The service advisor told me that the 3rd gear has heat discoloration & is burned up. In addition he said, clutches were burnt up. I have the photos of the 3rd gear discoloration & also have the damaged parts that were replaced by the dealership. Since my van has low mileage, I contacted Honda but they refused any help saying warranty period on van had expired. I also contacted Honda's recall dept, since I felt that the burnt 3rd gear was related to transmission overheating per 2004 Honda recall related to 2001 to 2004 vans. Honda said that recall was for 2nd gear & my discoloration was on 3rd gear. This was like splitting hairs; since internal damage to transmission was due to the root cause of transmission overheating. Honda refused to take any ownership of transmission failure & refused my plea for any assistance with the $3500 I had to pay Honda dealership for rebuilding the transmission. I still feel, with the low mileage on my van & with the heat discoloration of parts inside the transmission, Honda is responsible for the premature failure of transmission & the cost to the rebuilt the transmission. The 2004 recall letter clearly states "if heat discoloration exists, the dealer will replace transmission". the letter further states that "this work will be done free of charge". I truly feel Honda is refusing to honor the intent of the 2004 recall letter.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Oct 152014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission began to shift roughly and D light begin to blink tcs light has been on and off and transmission is now slipping. Our entire family was in the car 3 kids my wife and when the incident occurred and it is a safety issue for us to drive as the trans will shift roughly or not shift and remain in a lower gear when we are trying to accelerate.

- Johns Island , SC, USA

Sep 102014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On 9/10/14 I started noticing transmission slipping/down-shifting at 40mph/2K RPM many times during a less than an hour drive. RPM would suddenly jump to 4K, and then comes back while the car suddenly jerks/slows as if it's put on engine brake. Vehicle is 2002 Odyssey and has 69K miles. Took the car to Honda dealer where the car has been serviced for years and they were able to reproduce the issue, and I was told it requires a new transmission which would cost $3700 for a reman transmission with 3-Y/36 kmil warranty. Talked Honda America and tried to "seek goodwill assistance for transmission" per some recommendations. They took my info, and details, and eventually told me they reviewed their parameters, and decided this is not a case they are willing to assist. Checked my maintenance record and was able to find a recall repair performed many years ago. I searched online and found there are tons of such transmission issues reported on Honda Odyssey. In some cases, there seems to be require a transmission replacement every 50K miles or so. Apparently Honda has been knowingly selling such defective transmissions for many years w/O telling the customers. I'm disappointed to say the least at Honda America, and the so called Honda quality which is proved to be a costly myth. I have a Hyundai with close to 90K miles and so far I don't have any transmission/engine issues. I think I'm done with Honda.

- Superior, CO, USA

Jun 262014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission 4th gear pressure sensor failed, causing the "D" indicator light to flash.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The malfunction indicator remained illuminated. The dealer stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 212014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph, the vehicle hesitated shifting between second to third gears while the speed decreased to 10 mph. The vehicle resumed to normal speed once it transitioned into forth gear. The failure occurred on four separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 70,068.

- Dade City, FL, USA

May 012014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Pulled out of gas station. Stopped at red light. Went to take off from red light and the van stalled to shift. After it finally shifted I headed home and my van wouldn't shift into high gear. 113K miles and the transmission fails. This is crap Honda.

- Willis, TX, USA

Sep 122013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The automatic transmission occasionally disengages between 30mph to 40mph. Sometimes it re-engages or sometimes manually downshifting causes the drive to re-engage. Dealer says this is a known issue and the solution is to replace the transmission. I've taken it to a local mechanic and a called a local transmission company and they also say this is a know issue with this model year. A google search turns up many people with the same issue for this model year of the Odyssey. I will have to get this fixed as I cannot count on the vehicle for reliable and safe transportation any more.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Odyssey 6-cyl

At approximately, 212,200 miles, the transmission began slipping when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and also when shifting from neutral into reverse. Transmission was recalled a few years back, was inspected by the dealer and was told that they found nothing wrong with my vehicle. I was even told this about 45 days ago during a visit for major maintenance. Yet, within the last 8-10 days, these problems have suddenly appeared. They are the exact same problems that other 1999-2004 Odyssey owners are reporting and are the ones that were the reason for the recall. Honda and the dealer don't want to do anything except install a new transmission at a cost of over $6100. This is 3 times the value of the current value of the vehicle.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 052014

Odyssey 6-cyl

The automatic transmission has a loud whining noise during acceleration and there is a banging noise and lurching while shifting into different gears; although it does not do it all of the time, but the noise is constant. I have brought these problems to the Honda dealer's attention at 60,000 miles and they claimed that there is nothing they can do until the transmission breaks down and that I am the 2nd owner and so there is no warranty. I called Honda America and they said there is nothing they can do to help me. I Transport children and am fearful that the transmission will seize up and an accident will occur. I have researched this problem and discovered that there is a serious flaw in Honda transmissions and that they have not addressed it to owners' satisfaction. Honda designed and built these transmissions and need to be held accountable; they charge up to $5000 for rebuilt transmissions that are also flawed. Consumers need to be protected from negligence. Why is Honda being allowed to get away with this? it seems that they are making money on transmission repairs; and, in time, they will loose customer confidence and loyalty!

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Dec 312013

Odyssey 6-cyl

This was about transmission problem. The transmission slipped at around 35 mph speed inside a tunnel in yosemite national park with two children in the car. Fortunately there is no car behind us and the transmission engaged again couple seconds later. The engine check light was on when the slippage occurred. I have to drive extreme careful out of the park mountain area for 35 mile to reach the first car service garage for a check. Honda dealer did a diagnostic and recommended a transmission replacement that costs $5600. My car is just over 100K mile and was well maintained. Dealer district service manager and Honda America denied any responsibility of the transmission failure. They insisted that the recall in 2004 already fixed the transmission issue but it did not obviously! the fix cost is much more than the car current value and posts a extreme damage situation if it were operated without transmission fix. It is very disappointed that company like Honda ignores the safety issue of their car.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Feb 282014

Odyssey

Transmission 2nd and 3rd gear are slipping. Car wouldn't accelerate while in motion but engine RPM went up. Had to pull over and try again. Honda dealership said I need a new transmission ($5,700). Honda America customer service refused to provide any financial help and claim that the faulty transmission was due the age of the car and is out of warranty.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Jan 222014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission (power train) started failing in less than 100K miles. Took it to the dealer and confirmed that it is a transmission failure. The dealer contacted the district Honda manager in the sf bay area and Honda refused to share the cost. All the services were done for the first three years in the same Honda dealership. I maintained the vehicle very well with timely transmission oil checks and changes. I am surprised to find that several of my friends and colleagues are seeing the problem at a low mileage such as 100K. I trusted Honda's quality and disappointed that an important and costly component such as transmission breaks down at a low mileage.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

This was about transmission problem. I went to Honda dealer, and they could not do anything because it's over 100,000 miles. They told me that they would contact Honda corporation, they might give me a discount. They gave me $1000 discount, from $4700 to $3700. Aamco knew about the Odyssey problem was willing to fix it for $2592, and I went for it because my wife needed the car. I contacted Honda corporation, asked to split the difference, for $1296. Case# N012013-08060-1869 case manager: Caroline (8000-999-1009 ext. 117739) I even submitted to the case manager the graph of the Odyssey transmission-related complaints to NHTSA per 100K sold. She told me that Honda does not trust outside report. I told her that this is NHTSA report. There is nothing that she could do. I contacted Honda corporation three more times. They only offered me $375 in the form of dealer credit. I rejected. About a year later, the transmission went bad again, I spent total about $4000 to rebuild the transmission again. They let you know that Honda is so big that a customer like me, would not be able to fight them. I will not buy a Honda car anymore.

- Victor, NY, USA

Dec 282013

Odyssey

The power train (transmission) has failed and needs to be replaced, at an expense of approximately $6,000. Honda America refused to assist in any way.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Oct 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The check engine light came on while we were on a short trip about a month ago. I can feel the slippage between 2nd and 3rd gear. The 2nd gear recall fix did nothing to help the problem. When speaking to my local Honda dealership, they would not give me any information about problems with the transmission. They just kept silent. However when researching the transmission online, there are a lot of transmission complaints for 1999 to 2010 Odyssey transmissions with the exact symptoms I have. This has been a long lasting, well documented problem that Honda is ignoring. How can I trust a dealership that isn't honest and trustworthy?

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 132013

Odyssey 6-cyl

I purchased this 2002 Honda Odyssey new and after only 69995 miles, my transmission stopped working. This is unacceptable to happen at this low of mileage to a car that had no prior accidents.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Sep 272013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Problem happens when transmission tries to shift from a lower ratio and the next higher ratio. During the shift, the gear changes will sometimes pauses causing the car to loose forward power seems. When pause condition is noticed, letting up on the gas pedal allows gears to change. Shifting pauses started about 3-weeks ago, and only about 5-shift incidents have only happened since. Dealer inspected car and confirmed the transmission must be replaced. Cost to replace was quoted at $4,652. Dealer is trying to get some help from Honda, but it isn't looking hopeful. We are original owner and had only been buying new Honda vehicles before this happened.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 112013

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2002 Honda Odyssey only have 60K when my transmission failed. I have called America Honda but they told me there is nothing they can do since the car too old. I asked them if Honda transmission only last that long. They don't say anything just kept saying there is nothing they can help. I am so disappointment with Honda company. My whole house, relative have Honda but after this. We will never ever brought Honda again. Disappointment customer

- Trumbull, CT, USA