Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Odyssey:

Nov 262012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Car was recalled in 2004 for installation of a supplemental cooling kit (following successful class action lawsuit for prior model years). Transmission is now snatching when cold and obvious slippage in 2nd gear. Research shows that this is a known and recurring defect in this model year. American Honda refuses any assistance. I am the original owner and the vehicle has had all service done at the dealer.

- Napa, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have been having problems with my car starting after several tries it will start, but a couple months age I was having slipping problems, then now I went to get my car smoged and it didn't pass inspection. I have read about all the recalls, and I bought my car as a used car and was unaware of the recall for the transmission at that time. It cost a lot of money for Honda to fix all these transmissions, and they are refusing to help their people, this is my second Honda, I am a single mom of three and work 12 hours a day. I take care of our dying elderly and I need a dependable car if not we all loose, I do believe there should be another class action law suit after all I read, everyone is unhappy with their Honda cars, it's a shame. Someone please help us.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission hanging up between 2nd and 3rd gear. When put in reverse, takes several second for transmission to engage. Honda dealer advised transmission needs to be replaced as it failed at the cost of over $4000. For a vehicle that was purchased brand new and maintained by the dealer, seems to be a engineering failure of the transmission.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Nov 132012

Odyssey

Transmission went out suddenly in the middle of traffic. Car rolled to a stop and had to be towed. Mechanic recommended complete rebuild. Honda needs to deal with this. These cars have had nothing but persistent transmission problems and complaints. This is an engineering flaw.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Sep 272012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving under normal conditions, the transmission started jerking and slipping losing traction. The warning light came on. I took it to my mechanic the next day. He ran a diagnostic check and replaced the two solenoids that controlled the automatic transmission shifting. I drove it 25 miles and it started jerking again and slipping.

- Indian Trial, NC, USA

Aug 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission failed suddenly while traveling with family. Apparently it is a well know issue for 2002 Odyssey. I had every service & preventive maintenance done at authorized Honda dealer since I bought it in 2002. It was out of warranty and I paid $3,600 for replacement transmission. This is a manufacturing defect and american Honda should recall/replace for free.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Sep 282012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Automatic transmission on my 2002 Honda Odyssey failed at 111000 miles (specific failure is the torque converter). Symptom was gear slippage. I contacted Honda requesting a "good faith" repair since this is clearly a problem with their transmissions and Honda declined. Hundreds of Honda Odyssey owners, model years 1998-2004, report the same transmission failure. I'm requesting this issue be investigated by NHTSA to encourage Honda to take remedial action on behalf of Odyssey owners affected.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Aug 102012

Odyssey 6-cyl

2002 Honda Odyssey transmission NHTSA recall. Dealer repaired at 80K miles. The transmission has failed again at 80K miles after the fix. The Honda factory fix appears to not actually work in the long haul. Called a transmission repair shop and the 2002 Honda Odyssey transmissions are failing again - not just mine.

- Pittsford, NY, USA

Jul 292012

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the transmission failed while traveling 70 mph. The contact stated that there was a smell of transmission fluid burning prior to the transmission overheating. The vehicle was repaired October 2004 under NHTSA campaign id number: 04V176000 (power train: Automatic transmission) for the transmission oil jet. The vehicle was recently taken to the dealer who advised that the transmission needed to be replaced. The failure and the current mileages was 90,045.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jun 032012

Odyssey

While driving on the interstate with the cruise control on I noticed RPM's were increasing. Stopped the cruise control and used the gas pedal. RPM went back to normal then slowly increased. I noticed I was loosing power and pulled to the side of the interstate. The transmission had 'blown'. there was transmission fluid everywhere. No warning lights came on and there was no indication of a problem. Loss of power at the wrong time could cause a serious problem. Apparently Honda transmissions have a history of going out like this.

- Montevallo, AL, USA

May 252012

Odyssey

I was driving on a road trip and having neared my destination city, I had taken off the cruise control and exited the highway. After slowing down at the intersection, the car would not engage into second gear as I tried to accelerate. It continued doing this until I was able to stop and call aaa and have my car towed to the local Honda dealership. After running the diagnostics, the service advisor told me that the transmission is shot and needs to be replaced. Since it is a long holiday weekend my car is still sitting while they are closed and waiting to hear back on the estimate to replace the transmission.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 082012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission slip and couldn't change to proper gear which caused dangerous in driving. Traction and mil indicator on. After diagnosed the code, it is confirmed transmission issue. This car is well maintained. The 60,000 miles and 90,000 miles service were done.

- Pine Brook, NJ, USA

Dec 292011

Odyssey 6-cyl

Transmission fails to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear (slips and sometimes wont shift to 3rd gear) with check engine lights on (code P0730 gear ratio incorrect).

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 052012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Sudden loss of power when accelerating from a stop. Occurs most when heading up incline. Need to shift from D to D3 to restore power. No error codes, check engine light, or tcs light is evident. Transmission was rebuilt @141K due to slipping and P0730 error code from original transmission.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Odyssey

Transmission started to slip at 80,000, we took it to the dealership, they suggested flushing would help, never mentioned that transmission failure is a known and acknowledged problem with Odyssey and that there had been a recall for 2002's.

- Carlton, WA, USA

Mar 102012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I have 2002 Honda Odyssey ex car and saw a check engine light turned on my vehicle while I was driving. I went to nearby Honda dealer for a diagnosis and they told me its a transmission issue and needs to be replaced. Also about the Honda Odyssey transmission recall for this 2002 model.my car had only 82000 miles on it. Honda rep. Told me it will take $4600 to fix the problem in their concern. I have 2 infants and I am scared to accompany them in this car because of the transmission issue. Also Honda is not helping to fix their own problem.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jan 192012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving the minivan on the highway, it would slip out of gear (around 2nd or 3rd gear). I had to let off the gas pedal to wait for it to re-engage. This happened a second time on 02/02/12 at which time I took it for diagnosis, the dealership told me I needed to replace the transmission ($4,150) without mentioning anything about the previous recall by Honda. I then called american Honda motor, they said if there is a problem with the 2nd gear the dealership can complete the safety recall for the second time and file a warranty claim. The dealership didn't offer this option claiming there was no warranty on the transmission.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Odyssey. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began to shift hard as the engine rpms increased. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technicians advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 182011

Odyssey 6-cyl

My 2002 Odyssey has a transmission that slips, we corrected a pressure switch that was bad and replaced with a new oem. Transmission still slips and doesn't give out any codes.

- Corozal , PR, USA

Feb 202012

Odyssey 6-cyl

The automatic transmission slips between 2nd and 3rd gear, and in reverse. This is a very dangerous condition to have when trying to pull out into of merge with traffic. I am the original owner of this vehicle and have had all recalls performed as verified through my local dealer where I purchase the vehicle.

- Savannah, GA, USA