Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Odyssey:

Aug 252014

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the serpentine belt fractured and the engine stalled without warning. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer on two occasions. The technician diagnosed on the second occasion that the serpentine belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,852.

- Pleasantivile, NY, USA

Jun 162013

Odyssey 6-cyl

Van began to stutter on acceleration and check engine light came on. Took to personal mechanic who diagnosed a mis-fire in cylinder #2. removed spark plug to find it coated with oil and carbon. Says it appears oil is leaking through the engine valve stem seals and coating the plug. He replaced the plug. Have since took it to local Honda dealership and performed an oil consumption test. Over 1 quart consumed in 1200 miles of driving. Have asked that stem seals be replaced under good will but Honda has denied request because service has not been performed at dealership and thus they cannot guarantee workmanship and parts installed. Vehicle continues to consume oil and after checking #2 cylinder plug recently, continues to contaminate spark plugs.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

May 142012

Odyssey 6-cyl

On May 12, 2012, I was driving about 50 mph when the van started to sputter. I came to a red light and the car acted as if it were about to cut off. The check engine light started blinking along with the vsa light. It rode very rough all the way to the closest Honda dealership as I was not in my hometown. They informed me that one of the spark plugs needed to be replaced. I went ahead and replaced all of them to the tune of $308.23. On November 23, 2012, I was driving about 60 mph when the same thing happened. The mileage was 105,001. Again, I was out of town and drove the car to the nearest Honda dealership. They said the #3 spark plug had fouled out. I told them to replace only the #3 plug. On my receipt it says, "retrieved code P0303...misfire #3 cylinder...found spark plug fouled out. Possible faulty valve seals...replaced spark plug and performed PCM software update." That cost me $138.76. On the drive home the air conditioning started to act up. It would run but sometimes it was cold and sometimes the air was not. On November 24, 2012, I took the car to the Honda dealership that I normally use. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the air conditioning except for a dirty cabin filter. They replaced it and charged me $131.97. However, they said my brakes were worn out. That cost $359.68. Then there was the brake fluid exchange, transmission fluid exchange, and power steering flush. All in all the visit cost me $1049.61. Funny, on November 19, 2012, I had taken the van in for an oil change and they did a courtesy inspection. No mention of brake problem. November 26, 2012, car dead, wouldn't start. They replaced the battery under warranty. December 3, 2012, car dead again. Invoice reads, "A/C clutch relay stuck killing battery making A/C compressor run even when A/C off." Fixed for free due to all the problems.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While driving on an interstate at approximately 65-70mph, the check engine light came on and the car began to ride very rough (approximate date of 6/1/2012 at ~65,000 miles). Pulled off the highway and had the car towed to the nearest Honda dealership (as recommended in owners' manual). Service at dealership inspected the car and found the spark plugs to be fouled. Replaced spark plugs (#3 was one), and all seemed fine. The same scenario happened again on January 31, 2013 (at 75,126 miles) - again with no warning the check engine light came on (while driving) and car began to sputter. Had car towed to nearest dealership. Again the spark plugs (#3 specifically) were fouled. Replaced the all spark plugs. Found out that I was two quarts low on oil eventhough the oil had been recently changed (1/7/13 at ~73,000 miles) and no oil was leaking from my car (I.e. no oil spots on driveway, etc...). the same scenario happened again on 5/2/2013 (at 81,320 miles)...check engine light came on (while driving and with no warning), car starts to sputter. I have it towed to nearest dealership, and the spark plug (#3) are found to be fouled again. Again, oil is two quarts low (oil had been changed on 3/21/13 at 78,976 miles). Fix all again and change oil to to an oil consumption test. Test found that my car is consuming at least 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles and that is causing my spark plugs to foul. Honda says my oil consumption is within "normal parameters" and will do nothing to fix the problem. Honda feels that having to add oil every 1000 miles accpetable. I disagree! if I don't check the oil every 1000 miles (and add at least a qt), then I risk driving with no oil which will cause my engine to seize. Also, even adding the oil doesn't resolve frequent spark plug damage causing engine breakdown. This car is unreliable and unsafe!

- Rome, GA, USA

Nov 062012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Engine oil service was performed by independent mechanic at 33,599 miles, who informed that the engine oil level was low prior to draining the crank case. I began monitoring engine oil quantity thereafter. Currently with 39,252 miles on the vehicle the engine oil consumption rate is about 1 quart per 2,500 miles, which seems excessive for an engine with low mileage. This rate equates to consumption of half of the entire crank case between engine oil change cycles. If not monitored and filled the engine may be damaged due to low engine oil quantity and pressure. A significant safety impact is present if the owner is not aware of oil consumption and the engine seizes. The engine is the Honda SOHC vcm, 6-cylinder (V6), gasoline engine.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Jun 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

While opening my tailgate on my Honda Odyssey van yesterday at around 6:00 P.M. it fell down on my head. What would cause that to happen? I did not do anything to try and fix it. The dealership was closed.

- Killeen, TX, USA