4.9

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

Sep 032019

Odyssey

In the morning when I first turn on the car there is big jerk when changing gears from 15 to 20mph I turn the car off and back on and it goes away this happens only once in the morning. During the day driving the streets a very small shudder jerk is felt not as big as the one in the mornings but this one is constant through the day

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 142019

Odyssey

I was driving my odessey home from work in average rush hour traffic. 30 minutes after leaving work, I came to a stop at a stop light. When I accelerated upon the light turning green my van shuddered/jerked when shifting gears between 15 & 20 mph. I thought it might have been a fluke or bump in the road. Then I came to another stop at a second stop light, not five minutes later, and again when accelerating it repeated the shudder/jerk upon shifting between 15-20mph. I then continued another 20-30 minutes home and the issue repeated every time I had to slow my speed below 20mph it shuddered/jerked upon accelerating. I made it home, did not turn off the van, my husband got in and drove it to a local shop about 5min down the road and experienced rough shifting from park into drive and the continued issue of rough shifting between 15-20mph. At our arrival to the shop he turned off the vehicle for about 5 minutes and then restarted it and we returned home. On this return trip and the next day on my commute to work there are no further issues of rough shifting or jerking when switching gears. But nothing was done to cause this to start and other than turning off the van and restarting it, nothing was done to remedy it either. I did not take it to a service center, because the issue can not be replicated at this time.

- Guyton, GA, USA

May 102019

Odyssey

The contact owns a 2014 Honda Odyssey. While driving various speeds, the vehicle jerked and did not change gears without warning. The vehicle was taken to bergstrom Honda (located at 3285 S washburn St, oshkosh, wi 54904) where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Feb 142019

Odyssey

Transmission shakes, judders about 20mph thru about 50mph. Transmission jerks and lungs. I have seen countless other complaints the same* this should be recalled and fixed.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jan 092015

Odyssey

My 2014 Honda Odyssey does not shift properly most notably when the weather is very cold below 30 degrees and first thing in the am. Driving down the street it's as if IżM stuck in first gear and then suddenly the car shifts and it sounds horrible as if the transmission clunks very loud & then the car jerks forward from the car shifting. This started happening when my car was very new within the first 1-2 years. I have had it into the dealership a few times because of this problem and they can never seem to get it to żthrow a codeż for them. I even left it there overnight so that they could drive the car cold in the morning and it didnżT happen for them. It is very random when it will happen" after reading many Honda Odyssey online chats everyone says it's the computer and you have to shut the car off and restart it to reset the computer. This has seemed to work and stops the jerky shifting for the time being. So now when my car starts jerking me down the road and it sounds like the transmission is about to fall out I have to pull over somewhere safe and turn the car off for a minute and restart it. I thought for sure there would be a recall by now but I guess I should have reported it earlier. To sum it up there is a problem with the computerized shifting mechanism that for some reason when it's cold outside keeps the car in low gears. I have had my car regularly serviced at the Honda dealership and every time Iżve had my transmission fluid changed they comment on how dirty it is? I explained the problem to them and no one can solve it"

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Jan 282019

Odyssey

Went to start the the van wouldn't start. Pushed the push start again it started. Got 10 minutes down the road going about 30 mph and felt a hard jerk and it shook a few times and the started idling hard and jerked forward. Sounded like something was going to fall out the bottom of it.no service lights came on. Then got to work shut it off when back out 10 min later and the check engine light and the fcw light was on felt like it was still ideling hard. Looks like there is a lot of complaints about the same issue. Wonder why Honda is not recalling them. I have 61,300 miles on mine. So how many complaints does a car company have to have to issue a recall. These are not inexpensive vehicles. May have to look into an attorney. I can see where this could be a safety issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012018

Odyssey

Despite keeping up with the required maintanence, I had to have the transmission rebuilt at 100K miles. Shifts very hard when IżM in traffic- lurches. Huge spot of paint peeling off the back (since ineasnt the original owner Honda wouldnżT fix it) paint is now starting to chip heat the chrome on. Both doors.

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 282018

Odyssey

2 potential safety issues occurring at 55000 miles or less with no recall from Honda: Transmission jerking at low speeds and warped brake rotors at low mileage: Issue 1: when traveling up a hill (small to moderate grade) the van has a jerking motion and the needle on the odometer bounces back and forth about 200 rpms with the foot steady on the gas pedal. This has happened for quite some time on hills but now at 55000 miles the van is doing it on a level service while in 2nd gear (or when transitioning to 2nd from 1st). Again the foot is steady on the gas pedal and the van jerks with the needle bouncing on the odometer a few hundred rpms back and forth for a short bit until into 3rd gear. I read of a tsb 16-060 that the cause is improper heating of the transmission fluid. The short-term fix is to drain and fill the transmission fluid while a future fix is a software update that is not yet completed. Issue 2: when braking there is violent vibrations in the steering wheel. I took it to the dealer, don't remember the date but while still under the 3 year/36000 mile warranty, they turned the rotors which caused the vibrations to go away. Now at 55000 miles the van is again having violent vibrations while braking. The rotors should not warp so fast, with low mileage.

- Catlett, VA, USA

Jan 152015

Odyssey

We have had ongoing issues, beginning at about 30,000 miles with a noticeable judder in the transmission. The vehicle now has approximately 117,000 miles and continues to develop this problem on average about 10,000 miles after transmission fluid change. This coincides with NHTSA reference #10084801. As of yet, I have not been able to find any resolution to the tsb, and I am growing frustrated by the suggested "solution" of triple changing the transmission fluid every time the symptoms surface every 10-15,000 miles.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 202018

Odyssey

When accelerating from a stop light or from a situation such as slowed traffic in a stop and go setting, vehicle regularly lurches and transmission hesitates before locking into correct gear and suddenly accelerating forward. It seems as if the computer is searching for correct gear, but hesitates way too long to lock in as engine speeds have already increased. This happens most often after engine has warmed fully.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Apr 082018

Odyssey

We came to a stop at a light and as we started moving when light was green in slow speed something made a big clunk and each time we came to a stop and pressed on gas pedal to proceed then clunk and jerk became louder and more intense. We pulled over turned van off started it again and it quit. We have it in the Honda dealer now and they can't find anything. They did add transmission fluid. Keeping over night per our choic out of two (or pick up and take home), to see if it does same thing in the morning. It's very scary we don't really trust it on trips. So disappointed. Please help us! there is on youtube the very same thing happening to ours in same make and year van. Https://youtu.be/4D2ljtbuaks. Seems as though when it goes to shift into second thats when it clunk and jerks.

- Linden, MI, USA

Jan 302018

Odyssey

Car jerks violently during mild acceleration, when the transmission shifts between first and second speeds. This can occur right after startup or can start after the car has been running and the car slows down to first gear. It continues until the ignition is turned off. The problem dissappears when ignition is turned off. It occurs very randomly, I.e., intervals of weeks or even months. It is almost impossible to have it occur at the dealer service dept., and it does not give a computer code. The dealer checked the transmission and could not find the cause.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Jan 122017

Odyssey

When pulling out after a stop sign or turning right after a full stop the transmission will violently jerk the car forward. Honda recommended flushing the transmission two times to fix "manufacturer defect" and it did not work, actually is now worse than before the flushing, we paid $297 and not fixed. See attached receipts.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

May 292017

Odyssey

Transmission bucking at low speed after driving a while. When I drive my van off the drive way, everything behaves normally. The issue happens when it was driven for 30 minutes or so. After on the freeway for 30 minutes or longer while stopping at the off ramp waiting for the green light, the vans has problem trying to shift between speed of 20-40mph. The vans body shakes violently as if it was driving on a road with multiple low speed bumps. The transmission has difficulty hunting for the correct gear. I can see the RPM moving up and down crazily as if it engages a lower gear and immediately decides to switch to higher gear multiple times. The problem is most prominent when the vehicle is at complete stops and trying to speed up on the incline street. When it is on high speed, such as 50 mph and above, it drives smoothly. I think the vehicle is trying to compensate between best gear ratio and best fuel economy gear at the given speed. A the speed where constant speed is not achieved such as hill climbing or accelerating from stop at the off ramp traffic light, the computer confused.

- Claremont, CA, USA

May 262017

Odyssey

When accelerating from a stopped position, the car did not accelerate and at approximately 20-30 the car violently bucked/jumped. This happened ever time I tried to accelerate onto an interstate highway, after slowing down on a city street, or in my neighborhoodt to make a turn or for a red light. So, it happened actually anytime the speed dropped below approximately 20 mph.

- Green Brook, NJ, USA

Apr 242017

Odyssey

Clanking and jerking will not accelerate also was hit in DC traffic and it could not keep up. Took it in a with video and Honda acted as if they didn't know what was going on.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Nov 012016

Odyssey

Transmission exhibits jerky shifting under low speed, light acceleration conditions. Generally when going from first to second gear. Told dealership immediately before car left the lot and was told they would fix it. Called me two days later saying it was done, but car continues to do so. Service departments are a waste!

- Palmetto Bay, FL, USA

Feb 062017

Odyssey

Transmission exhibits jerky shifting under low speed, light acceleration conditions. Generally when going from first to second gear. Not performing. At all what a car of this price should no recall but plenty of people are complaining about this lousy transmission.

- Concord, MA, USA

Nov 272016

Odyssey

I stopped the vehicle on an inclined street to talk with a neighbor. He asked me to look at something so, I turned the ignition off not thinking the gearshift was still in the drive position. After the engine stopped I started to exit the car when it began to roll. I applied the brakes then restarted the car and shifted into park. This is a safety issue requiring a recall before somebody gets injured or killed.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Aug 142014

Odyssey

We purchaced a brand new elite (2014) our first issue the transmission bucked at low and high speeds so we took it in 2/2016. They stated that it required a frimware update. Now the van vibrates between and 25-35 and also 60-65 mph also when you accelerate its now jerky and/or un-smooth with shifting. We took in to the Honda dealership (8/16)to fix this new issue now the tech reports that the fluid is black. The van only has 38,000 miles....Honda should issue a recall.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA