7.6

$570

Most common solutions:

1. repaint roof (11 reports)
  3. repaint (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Pilot:

Jun 012018

paint chipping

The paint started peeling off on the roof. My Pilot is a 2013 model. The peeling started this summer, 2017.

- Julie P., Groves, US

Aug 292017

click to see larger images

paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping

Bought my 2013 Honda Pilot in November of 2016 from Hendrick Honda in Charleston, SC. Loved it. And still do. Approximately 9 months after purchase, we noticed a small paint area that was chipping on the passenger side door frame. We contacted Honda regarding the issue and were ignored.

A few weeks later, the area between the front windshield and the sun roof started chipping off. A standard problem from what I have seen of other Pilots. It has gotten progressively worse in both areas but specifically the top portion of the vehicle. We again contacted Honda (relentlessly this time) and they clearly have no intention of addressing this issue since we keep getting the run around.

We will most likely have to pay out of pocket for an entire car repaint. I don't see the point in just addressing the two areas for fear that it will start happening on other areas and the longer we wait, the more of a chance of the area rusting and a) looking even worse and b) costing us even more money to fix.

We have gathered evidence from various websites regarding this issue & presented it to Honda but they stand firm that there is no recall and that there will be no recall for these delamanation paint issues.

We have a car that is just a few years old but it looks like we have owned it for 15+ years with the paint chipping. To say we are frustrated would be an understatement!

- Michele B., Ladson, SC, US

Oct 262015

Pilot Touring 3.5L

paint chipping

Purchased a 2013 Honda Pilot from Honda of Dulles on March 30, 2013 and never had any issues, mechanical or otherwise. Approximately 3 years after the purchase we noticed paint peeling and chipping in the area between the sunroof and the windshield. We brought the vehicle to the dealer who suggested we file a claim with Perma Plate, the appearance and windshield warranty that they sold us for an additional $200. Perma Plate is a Siskin Enterprise company and a total sham. I scheduled 3 different appointments to have the damage reviewed and repair estimated and the representative never showed.

I drove to their location in Leesburg VA and it appears to be a junk yard of old cars with one guy hiding in the office. He had no idea what I was talking about, and claimed he knew nothing about Perma Plate. Like others we have had many Honda vehicles and frankly expected a more professional response to the problem.

I want to give the company or the dealership the opportunity to take ownership of the problem and resolve it or I will have to reconsider my loyalty to the brand. Looking at the list of similar paint issues impacting Honda, many listed on the CAR COMPLAINTS website, it is difficult to imagine why a reputable company would choose to ignore the problem.

Update from Aug 16, 2018: Very happy to report that Autonation reached out to Honda USA and they agreed to repaint the vehicle. I am really happy with the decision and it helps restore my faith in the brand.

- Mark B., Broadlands, US

Jul 242018

paint chipping

Our Honda Pilot is in great condition an running well UNTIL....

We came out one morning and noticed there was paint missing from the roof right between the windshield and sunroof.

Now after researching online, I am disappointed to learn that many, many people are experiencing this problem which is due to poor paint product and manufacturer defect. I intended on this vehicle lasting me 10 years.

Disappointing.

- melbeau, Tampa, US

Nov 012017

Pilot

I noticed the roof of my Honda Pilot and the top of the roof above the windshield and sun roof is oxidizing terribly. This should not be happening My car is not that old and is well taken care of. I don't leave it out in the sun and make sure it gets washed/waxed regularly. I called the dealership I purchased the car from and they said there is no recall on Pilots that they know of, but it's a common problem for Civics. Really?? Basically they can't/will not do anything to correct. This is such nonsense because Honda clearly knows it has paint issues with other models. They need to correct this problem. My brother has a 2009 Civic that started to oxidize and Honda took care of it. Re-painted it for free and gave him a loaner. Come on Honda, you need to own up to it and correct this issue.

- faucoed, Cooper City, US

Mar 012015

Pilot EX V6

The paint on my 2013 WHITE Honda Pilot started peeling after have it for about 2 to 2 1/2 years. When spoke with dealership they took pictures and said they would get with the manager. I checked back and they said they would not cover it that there was no defect. It must have been a rock chipped it. I have had people approach me telling me that my paint is a defect because they had same thing happened to them with their Honda Pilot. This is getting pretty ridiculous. There should be a recall. When I am driving down the rode and I see one after another White Honda Pilot with the same problem as mine.

- Jaime V., Caldwell, TX, US

Apr 232018

paint chipping

A small chip in the pain resulted in de-lamination of the paint. The paint was a premium pain that cost additional money. Now it is peeling off and the fix will require the roof to be taken back to where the paint is holding with no guarantee it wont happen somewhere else. The regional Honda rep has made a good will offer to repair but I will need to pay $500 of the $2500 or 20 percent of the cost to fix what is poor materials or poor manufacturing.

My family has owned many Honda cars. A Civic, Prelude, Accord, Acura TL, and now this Pilot. This is the first time I have had a problem with the paint and the manufactures response is less than ideal. I had a problem with the transmission in a Dodge Ram truck and Dodge took care of it 100% and it was out of warranty as well. I am disappointed to say the least in Honda's willingness to stand behind their product and quality of their manufacturing.

- Sheri K., Portland, OR, US

Feb 042018

Pilot Touring V6

The paint just started peeling over the windshield towards the sunroof. Third Honda we have owned. Never had a problem like this before. Might be the last Honda!

- Gregg W., Point Pleasant , NJ, US

May 132016

Pilot Touring 3.5L V6

paint chipping

This is not paint chipping, it's paint peeling, I paid a lot of money for this vehicle, This is my fourth Honda purchase, No more. There are numerous complaints about this particular problem in the exact same spot, between windshield and moon roof. Make it right ... because the cost of repair will be much lower than the revenue loss of departing regular customers.

- JAMIE W., Conway, US

Feb 152018

Pilot EXL V6

click to see larger images

paint chipping paint chipping paint chipping

Noticed on 2/16/18 that chunks of paint had blown off the roof of the Pilot. When taking pictures on 2/16/18, more chunks were blowing in the wind.

- Tammi B., Cary, US

Jan 192018

paint chipping

I walked out in the morning on Friday to see a huge chunk of paint just missing from the roof in between the windshield and moonroof. It was perfectly fine the night before, so it obviously just came off overnight. It has gotten progressively worse over the last week, I guess just flaking off as I drive. I've only had the car for 1 year- bought it as a certified pre-owned.

- kalversa, Bridgehampton, US

Jun 052017

Pilot

My 2013 WHITE pilot is peeling paint from the windshield to the moon roof. When I went to the dealer he said that there was not a recall on the Pilot but there was one on an Accord with white paint. Of course, my Pilot was pained at another Plant so it is not covered under that recall. So I asked him why it was peeling, and his response was not sure, but probably from a rock that had hit it, thus causing to chip the paint. So with me continuing to drive it, the wind is causing it to run. It has now reached the moon roof and is now spreading wide. It is so embarrassing to drive my Pilot like this.

If there are others with the same situation, I hope they report it, so maybe we can get some help with this issue.

- Tonya B., Searcy, US

Sep 102017

Pilot Touring V6

The paint chipped between the top of the windshield and the sunroof. Body shop suggested this was a Honda problem. They wouldn't consider touching it for less than a $1,000. Now I'm concerned if this is a primer problem, will it begin to chip in other areas? Is it time to get rid of it before another shoe falls?

- Michael W., Ocean City, US

Aug 062017

paint chipping paint chipping

The paint on my 2013 Honda Pilot came off for no reason, it just flew off while we were driving. I have been in contact with Honda and they only want to cover 60% that will still leave me with a bill of $ 589.00. I cannot afford this. I was told to buy a Honda because with 3 kids you need something durable. I'm so sad and upset I don't know what to do....

- Marie M., Oxnard, US

Jul 142017

Pilot Touring V6

Just noticed paint peeling on the roof of my 2013 white Honda Pilot. There is no paint code anywhere so I can't get touch up paint. Apparently 2013 Pilots have this problem!

- Rebecca W., North Port, US

May 102017

Pilot EX-L 3.5L

paint chipping

The paint peeled between windshield and sunroof.The Dealer has been honest about the issue and let me know they have seen other Pilots with same issue. Honda dispute resolution informed me the vehicle is out of warranty. The vehicle has 38,000 miles and is 4 years old. Honda will not stand by their product. If the roof has a bad primer coat more than likely the entire vehicle has bad primer coat meaning entire paint job is bad. I am the original owner and vehicle has never been involved in an accident.

- Chris B., Mission Viejo, US

May 302017

Pilot Sport Touring V6

Like others that have reported this same problem, the paint on our white 2013 Honda Pilot is peeling off the roof just above the windshield. No accident, ding, rock strike, or any other thing caused this to the best of our knowledge. We contacted a local dealer who indicated this was not a warranty item, but are "looking into it." They took a picture and now need to measure the paint thickness, and forward it on to Honda for evaluation.

The car is well maintained - washed frequently - and absent any "impacts" the expectation is the paint will last as long as the vehicle itself; definitely longer than 3 years.

- Alan E., Doylestown, PA, US

Jun 162017

Pilot EXL V6

paint chipping

I bought a 2013 Honda Certified vehicle last year (16 months ago to be exact) and noticed this morning that there is a large amount of paint missing from my roof. No dings or paint chips to justify why this would happen but we've had alot of rain recently (it's the rainy season).

So I called the Honda Warranty phone number and they told me it's not covered and I'm on my own. Can't believe this type of warranty on a 4 year old car with 50,000 miles. We are a Honda family (husband has an Accord, both daughters each own Civics, and my son owns an older Pilot), so I'll contact Honda again to see if they will work with me but if not, then no more Hondas for our family.

Update from Jul 20, 2017: After calling the Honda Service Manager several times over the last 4 weeks with no return call, my husband was finally able to speak to him. They offered to cover half of the cost to repaint the roof which will still cost us around $500. Not sure if this is fair or not.

My biggest concern is other sections of the car may peel after I pay the $500. Very disappointed that Honda does not acknowledge the paint defects. From what I've read from other Pilot owners, the paint defect is occurring in the same place (front hood).

- Nancy T., Coral Springs, US

Jun 182016

paint chipping paint chipping

Chose this model BC of color. Honda is paying for repair however refusing accountability saying it started B/C of a rock ding. Body shop said defect. Honda refusing to pay rental car I need for 10 days.

- Tracy B., Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012017

Pilot Touring 250hp, 3.5L

I will have a better feeling of how annoyed I am once I see if Honda will step up and repair to my satisfaction. Car is only 3 years old...

- Mary Meg G., Laguna Hills, CA, USA