Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Elantra:

Mar 012015

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. While driving approximately 10 mph and making a right turn, the power steering seized without warning. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a medium concrete divider. The frontal air bags did not deploy. No injuries were sustained. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to an impound yard. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 6/8/15 updated 10/06/2017

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 082014

Elantra 4-cyl

Airbag sensor passenger seat assembly reads that there is someone sitting in passenger seat when no one is in seat.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

May 122014

Elantra

My vehicle the Elantra ( aprox sp 40mph) rear ended a Chevy Tahoe( aprx sp 30mph) my Elantra was a total loss and my lower back was injured as well as my right hand. I had to be taken from the vehicle from ems and transported to the hospital. The occupant of the Tahoe didn't receive any injury. This is the second accident in this vehicle that the air bags did not deploy. In 2011 my vehicle moving aprox 55mph struck 3 deer at once on the passenger front of the vehicle, my son experience a shoulder injury who was my passenger.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Apr 112014

Elantra 4-cyl

I drove my 2009 Hyundai Elantra gls (5 speed manual transmission) into my friend's driveway, came to a complete stop, after being stopped for apprixmatley 30 seconds I pulled the car out of gear, pulled up the hand brake, and turned off the car with the key. As I turned off the car/pulled out the key, the passanger and driver side airbags deployed while my passenger and I were sitting in the front seats. No severe injuries were sustained by my passenger or me. However, days later the loud explosion of the air bag deployment has left a ringing in our ears. It is important to understand that there was no front collision or abrupt stop that should have caused a deployment. The vehicle was at a stable zero speed. Also, I am the origional owner of the vehicle and the vehicle has never been involved in an accident or had the air bags deploy previously. The dealership has reported to me that the vehicle computer codes identified that the vehicle had a front collision, as well as a passenger air bag failure. The service rep agreed with me that there was clearly no impact and agreed with me that the front collision was some sort of false signal. I have filed a report with Hyundai and it is under investigation, but I want to make sure that this is publically recorded due to the danger of the incident.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Apr 092010

Elantra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the contact crashed against another vehicle. The vehicle was damaged and destroyed on the passenger side. The contact stated that none of the air bags deployed. The contact sustained injuries in the neck, back, and concussions in the waist. The contact now suffered from temporomandibular joint disorder and migraines as a result of the crash. The vehicle was inspected by the insurance company but the contact did not know the results. The failure was reported to Hyundai. The approximate failure and current mileage was 29,560...updated 08-07-13

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Jan 252011

Elantra

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated while making a right turn he applied the brakes to avoid crashing into the vehicle coming toward him; however, the vehicle spun out of control and crashed into a guard rail. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was not filed. The contact was injured and taken to the hospital. The dealer and manufacturer were contacted regarding the failure. The failure and current mileages were 40,200.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 252009

Elantra

Couldn't stop in time to avoid rearend collision my Hyundai Elantra 09 airbag did not deploy, the front clip was totaled. Hyundi should be held liable for my injuries which is severe neck and back pain. I need some advice on how to proceed.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Oct 022009

Elantra

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that she was involved in a crash that involved five vehicles. Her vehicle was hit in the front which caused her vehicle to hit another vehicle in the front as well. She stated that the crash was not a head-on collision and that it occurred while driving approximately 35 mph. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained a fractured sternum when her chest hit the steering wheel. The contact could not recall if other drivers or passengers were injured. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer obtained her information and will mail her forms to complete so that they can conduct an investigation. The current and failure mileages were approximately 4,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA