Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Genesis:

Jun 162017

Genesis

I took this car to the North charleston Hyundai about 3 weeks ago around 6/16/17, told them about my braking issue and they told me after they inspected it that it would cost me 4-5 thousand dollars to fix my vehicle. The dealer said it was the recalled part that went bad. Now they are saying its not and Hyundai usa isn't standing by their product either said I was out of warranty by 5000 miles and they can't fix it. Its all on me now. Hyundai usa first told me they would meet me half way for the repairs but they didn't all they did is give me 1000 Hyundai points and that is maybe a 1/5 of the repair. I had a second opinion done at midas in mount pleasant SC done and they are saying its the recalled part that is bad, and that I need to get in touch with Y'all. The whole braking system went bad while I was driving it, I was going around a turn at a high rate of speed and noticed that when I pressed the brakes they weren't responding so I threw it into manual drive, where I geared it down to 2nd gear and slowed down that way, enough I wouldn't run off the road and maybe hurt myself, my rider or someone on the interstate.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jun 012017

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. When applying the brakes, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard without stopping the vehicle. The contact had to pump the brake pedal in order for the vehicle to stop. When the vehicle was stopped with the brake pedal depressed, the pedal would lower unintentionally; however, the vehicle would begin to slowly move forward at the same time. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic control system and ABS failed and needed to be replaced. The contact notified the anderson Hyundai dealer and was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and reiterated the dealer's diagnosis. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Walhalla, SC, USA

Apr 152017

Genesis 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 50 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and the vehicle took a long time to slow down. The vehicle was taken to lake norman Hyundai (20520 chartwell center dr, cornelius, nc 28031) where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic electronic control unit was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 08/08/17

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Genesis

I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan 3.8L and I have had and am having problems with stopping my car. I have to push the brake pedal harder and closer to the floor and the brakes do not engage like they used to or are suppose to. I took it to the Hyundai dealership where I bought it and have it serviced with this complaint and they ended up selling me and installing new rotors and brake pads, twice, and this did nothing for the problems with my brakes. When they couldn't diagnose the brake problem, they tried to tell me that the problem was with my transmission, and since they couldn't work on transmissions they'd have to order me a new one, with me footing the bill. I took it to two different transmissions specialist and both assured me, after extensive testing, that it was not my transmission, but that the problem was with my brakes. Hyundai refused to look at my car again, and the service manager told me that he "was through with my car, and wash his hands of it". I took my car to another mechanic who diagnosed my problem, and told me that Hyundai had a recall on my car for the exact problem that I was having and complaining about, and that the Hyundai dealership couldn't diagnose correctly, and washed their hands of my car and sent me back on the road after two separate installations of new brake rotors and pads. I never received notice of the recall from my dealership and I am still experiencing the problem with my brakes requiring me to have exert more brake pedal travel, with less effectiveness. Now, I even have to pump my brakes, and whenever I have to do a hard or panic stop, there is a metal on metal type of grinding noise from my brakes. How long is the recall good for, and what do I have to do in order to get my car fixed under this recall? my life is in danger whenever I drive this car. The recall was on the ABS system for the 2009-2012 Genesis sedan.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 232017

Genesis

The brake pedal on the subject car, Hyundai Genesis 2011, became too soft (mushy) when pressed down. No braking action until the pedal is within 1" from the floor. After checking with the dealer, and two other reputable auto repair shops, we had the brake master cylinder replaced at $380 at one shop but that did not fix the problem. I searched the internet and found that the dealer, in 2013, had complaints about similar brake problem on Genesis cars, made between 2008 and 2012, and the dealer found and replaced the "corrosive" brake fluid at no charge on over 27,000 cars - I am sure it is a matter of time when our car, the 2011 Genesis, will show the same problem, and should be dealt with the say way. Please see link below: articles.latimes.com/2013/Oct/21/autos/la-fi-hy-Hyundai-Genesis-recall-2013102 question: Is it safe to drive the car under these conditions, and what could be the cause of the softness in the brake pedal if different? any feedback on this important safety matter will be greatly appreciated. The car is in our garage. Regards elias haddadin.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Mar 012017

Genesis

My brakes have reduced pressure and spongy. I see others have same issue and possible recall. Hyundai says mine is not included although recall was for cars 2009-2012 (mine is 2011). I almost crashed because of reduced pressure and car would not stop.

- Solon, OH, USA

Jan 092017

Genesis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that the brakes failed even when the pedal was depressed to the floor. The dealer stated that the hydraulic electronic control unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000. Updated 05/30/17

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Oct 132016

Genesis

Sporadic low brake pedal resulting in decreased braking performance. This problem will last for a day or two and then go away. Present at all speeds - even when stopped.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

Oct 012016

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 hyundia Genesis. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle would not stop immediately. The brake pedal had to be depressed to the floorboard to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 112016

Genesis

I was sitting in my car with the emergency break engaged when my car started to roll back down my driveway. No matter how hard I tried I could not push the break in and the emergency break was on the entire time. My door is now crunched up from rolling back into a tree. It went all the way down my driveway, across the street and into my neighbors yard before my husband was able to get it to stop by pushing the break pedal as hard as he could. I bruised my shoulder trying to get out of the car while it was rolling away.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

May 102015

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that there was a increased in stopping distance when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was approximately 55,000.

- Buford, GA, USA

Feb 022016

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 35 mph merging into traffic, there was no response when the brake pedal was depressed. The brakes failed and the vehicle jumped a curb. There were no injuries. The front bumper and front and rear wheels were damaged. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear braking system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Genesis

Tuesday February 2, 2016 I was driving on olympic blvd approximately 35 pmh. As I attempted to turn right on the round about to the avenue of the stars I was unable to brake. I floored the brake pedal and the brakes were unresponsive. I attempted to brake again but by that time it was too late. My car hit and drove onto the curb where it remained unable to move until aaa arrived. I broke both left wheels and the axel along with other serious damage to the front of my vehicle.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Oct 202014

Genesis 6-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph in the lane, the car on the left lane hit the rear body and tire of driver side, but the car didn't stop even after the impact. After the collision, I pressed very hard on the brake pedal to stop, but it kept moving, even increased its speed up to 60 mph, and turned into the different direction. Also the wheel was stuck by itself and I was not able to turn anywhere with my hands. It went off the opposite side of the road without any control. 20 years old Toyota Camry was able to stop at the spot of collision, but Hyundai Genesis couldn't. the wheel and the brake were both stuck and unable to be controlled and crashed into the electric pole. The air bag was deployed, and Hyundai Genesis was totaled. In 2014, the brake recall service was received two times from the dealer. There must be the mechanical failure in the brake, speed control, and the wheel which caused this total loss. I was injured and taken by the ambulance later. I never had any accidents like this before with any other cars!

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 092014

Genesis 6-cyl

Twice in last month I was driving in traffic and had a total loss of brakes almost hitting the car directly in front of me. I pushed the brake pedal in both cases to the floor and my car was not stopping. I was able to get the car to finally slow down after pushing the petal against the floor as hard as I could. Needless to say this was a very frightening experience both times. I took the vehicle in to the dealership after receiving a recall notice in the mail. I was told that they replaced the brake fluid per the 114 recall and that they were able to reproduce the stopping issue. The dealership stated that the ABS module was not operating properly and that it was going to be a $2200 fix that I was responsible for paying for and that the recall did not cover the required parts and labor and that the warranty and extended warranty that I have would not cover the repairs. It seems they only replaced the fluid that was causing the issue with the module, but would not take responsibility for replacing the critical parts that the brake fluid compromised. I can not afford to fix this car and am being treated like it is my responsibility to fix the issue they caused. I am still driving an unsafe car because I have no choice. What is my recourse?

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Oct 112013

Genesis 8-cyl

When the brake assist system is active and the car was stopped it would not move an inch. Now the vehicle inches forward and makes a vibration sound until eventually the disc brakes lock up and the car stops rolling. I took my car to Hyundai of orange park and showed the service writer the issue. When the car was returned, they said there was no problem. Since this has never occurred until recently, and I have owned the car for 3 years, there is definitely an issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012012

Genesis 6-cyl

My 2011 Genesis sedan with 30,000 miles had brake lights fail 2 times. I would press the brakes and none of the brake lights would come on. On both occasions, the issue was due to a failed diode per the dealership. I noticed that there is a brake light recall from Hyundai-Kia that I saw in the news today. However, the article seemed to suggest that it only covers the Genesis coupe. However, I can tell you that I had similar issues with the Genesis sedan as well with the diode failure mentioned above. On the first incident around 10/2012, another driver on the road alerted me regarding the issue. The second time, around 1/2013, I noticed it on the driveway.

- Irving, TX, USA