Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

Aug 042019

Santa Fe

The battery light kept blinking, my battery is new, also the seat belt light for passenger seat kept blinking even when the seat belt was buckled. I stalled out and wouldn't start back up. I was in the street when it wouldn't start back up. I had it looked at when it was towed and the shop said there was alot of oil on my alternator and I would have to replace my value cover gaskets also.

- Leesport, PA, USA

Jul 052019

Santa Fe

I purchased this car used in 2011. Over the years, at random times, the radio will "pop" off and back on again. It doesn't seem to affect the rest of the electrical system in the car, but it's a little scary when it happens - mechanic can't replicate. Now, twice in the last week, my car has stalled while slowing down, once on a multi-lane street and once after decelerating coming off the expressway (complete loss of power, steering, brakes, etc). I put the car in neutral and it started right back up, but this has happened in heavy traffic and scared the cr out of me! I'm terrified that this might happen at a higher speed on the expressway. I have seen several mentions of similar power losses for this same vehicle. I have no check engine lights and no codes come up when scanned. No recalls reported either, although a power loss at the wrong time could kill someone. Not sure if this is electrical, engine or fuel system related - I had over a half a tank of gas in the car during both occurrences.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 062015

Santa Fe

Vehicle stalls while slowing down. When this happens, headlights and power steering and braking are lost, and the check engine light and battery light come on. Imagine driving down a dark windy road at night and losing power steering and braking and not being able to see the road. This is accurate to the experience. If I turn car off and back on, it starts just fine. It happens everywhere, on the freeway, while parking, etc. Every person I have talked to with same vehicle confirms the same. I have yet to find anyone with a fix. There is a recall out for 2010 and on for a similar issue. This issue started happening in 2015 when I purchased the car, and it has continued to happen for years.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 012019

Santa Fe

After driving at highway speeds and decelerating, Hyundai Santa Fe 2009 vehicle abruptly stalls with no warning. No error codes show. This is extremely dangerous as vehicle immediately shuts down and is an accident risk. All power steering and brake operation shut down.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Feb 012018

Santa Fe

For the last year, my fuel gauge has been malfunctioning. At first, it only happened every once in a while, but once I got to about 8 months, the gauge has constantly told me the wrong fuel level. I have asked a mechanic about it and it is the fuel level sensors located in the gas tank that are malfunctioning. Apparently, this is a problem with many of the Santa Fe's that were built around that time. I have a low mileage vehicle. It was bought in 2016 with 22,000 miles. The gas gauge problem started around 40,000 miles and only happened a few times. The constant check engine light illumination and constant malfunction of the gas gauge started at 50,000 miles and I am now at 60,000 miles. The problem happens when the car is stationary and while I am driving it. I have to keep a full tank at all times just do I don't run out if gas.

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Nov 162018

Santa Fe

Right front fog light inoperative. Dealer replaced halogen bulb. Within a few days fog lamp overheated causing bulb socket and lens bulb holder to completely melt down causing bulb to fall down onto the inside of the right front bumper and burned two holes through bumper almost causing a fire as bulb was still functioning. No circuit breakers or fuses blew. Dealer states this has happened before to other vehicles and now dealer needs to replace both socket & wiring and complete lens body.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Mar 012017

Santa Fe

Gas gauge and light always on empty when tight after it is full of gas and loud humming sound from fuel pump. Stalled out in middle of intersection multiple times.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 192018

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving various speeds, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and the fuel gauge displayed an incorrect reading. The dealer (hatfield Hyundai, 1400 auto mall pkwy, columbus, oh 43228) diagnosed that the fuel sender assembly and fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Mar 142012

Santa Fe

Gas gage indication shows empty when the tank is full or empty. This happened with our 2008 Santa Fe too.

- Lake Alfred, FL, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe

While traveling on the interstate at speed (70 mph), car stopped responding to throttle with no warning. As I merged to right lane, car died completely and I had to maneuver to shoulder with no power. Stuck here with wife and 2 toddlers until towed to mechanic. The alternator was dead and had to be replaced. One year later, same thing (luckily not on interstate this time, and warning light did come on this time). Alternator replaced again. Later in 2015, Hyundai announced a maintenance campaign (#936), and I was reimbursed for initial 2 events, and local dealer completed the required maintenance in Nov 2015. 2 years later, same thing: Warning lights, oil on alternator, etc. Local dealer again completes the work (thankfully at no charge to me). As of today, oil is on the alternator again, and I feel it is only a matter of time before the issue occurs again. As my wife is typically driving the kids around in this vehicle, I do not like the thought that it could cut off at any moment. I am hoping Hyundai will announce a permanent fix or recall. I am reaching out to them for advice on the latest recurrence. Initial event: 6/28/14 (mileage: 61020) 2nd event: 6/1/15 (mileage: 79800) Hyundai campaign completed: 11/19/15 (mileage: 89512) 3rd event: 08/30/17 (mileage: 119929) Feb 2018 (mileage: 127177) - notice oil building on alternator again

- Cumming, GA, USA

Feb 092018

Santa Fe

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 3.3 liter has experienced occasional, random stalling over a few years, always while braking and often while turning. The problem seems to happen after a period of steady speed driving and then slowing down and turning. When this happens, the vehicle steering instantly gets very difficult and braking ability likewise becomes increasingly difficult. After putting the vehicle in neutral, or pulling over and parking the vehicle, it will always start right back up and run fine. The throttle position sensor has been replaced but the problem persists. I am a 50 year old man who can wrestle the car to safety (so far), but my wife, children, or others may not be so fortunate. There are repeated mentions of other Hyundai vehicles with similar problems, and these mostly mention a tps replacement and an accompanying ECU firmware update. There are no apparent recalls or tsbs with Hyundai that affect this vehicle and engine combination, and this is a huge safety problem for which there appears to be a remedy path.

- Farmington, NH, USA

Jan 202018

Santa Fe

My ESC, ABS& AWD symbol came on at the same time & I know other people who own Hyundai & had this issue im guessing this is something major because when I called the dealership they knew exactly what I was talking about they all came on while I was driving

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Nov 242017

Santa Fe

On several occasions while driving the car completely shuts off no steering no gas nothing quite dangerous and quite scary while the car is in motion on the street

- Temecula, CA, USA

Nov 162015

Santa Fe

At around 90,000 miles, the fuel gauge stopped working. Evidently, this is a common problem. Even after filling the tank with gas, the gauge shows "empty". the problem seems to be the fuel sending units in the tank - the sensor brushes break off and the unit no longer sends a signal to the gauge. This poses safety issues to people who don't carefully track their car's fuel use, which could result in a car stalling on the highway due to fuel exhaustion. The problem sets trouble codes and lights the "check engine" light.

- Grants, NM, USA

May 292017

Santa Fe 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 15 mph, there was a loud pop sound and the vehicle failed to accelerate. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the fuel gauge read empty. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer and the dealer were not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 08/23/17

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 102017

Santa Fe

My fuel gauge is no longer working. It doesn't register the amount of gas. The gauge goes up and down randomly and mainly stays on empty.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jan 092017

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge not working properly, it will go from showing there is gas in the tank to completely empty, then back to gas in the tank. This has lead to the check engine light coming on. I don't want to get stuck out in this cold weather with an empty tank due to a faulty fuel gauge

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jan 092016

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge stopped working around 67,000 miles after filling up the gas. The gauge would float between full and empty regardless of gas usage usually resting at empty. Then the check engine light started going on because of the fuel gauge malfunction. This is unsafe because there is no way to gauge the amount of gas in the car, . it is also unsafe to have the check engine light always on, because there is no other way to alert the driver of safety issues.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Sep 192016

Santa Fe

The check engine light came on because of the gas gauge. Now I have no clue how much gas I have because the reader on the dash keeps going up and down. A month ago, I had the alternator and gas line replaced because of the last recall/service announcement. These electrical problems stem from that replacement.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 192016

Santa Fe

The check engine light went on because of the fuel gauge. It was running on a city street. Now I can't tell how much gas I do, or don't, have

- Baltimore, MD, USA