8.7

Most common solutions:

2. repair ground, wiring (1 reports)
  3. replace electronic throttle control activator (1 reports)
  4. replace throttle body (1 reports)
  5. replace throttle position sensor, update ecm (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

May 192017

4th time engine stalled while driving,

1st time - right turn

2nd time- right turn

3rd time - coming to a stop at a stop sign

4th time - 3 minutes down the road from the 3rd time.

5th time- driviing in a straight line, level road, coming to a set of lights

May 182017

Santa Fe V6

2nd of 5 stalls while driving. First time was right turn, second time was in the middle of a turn, turning right.

May 152017

This was the first occurrance of 4

Taken to Mechanic . Error code was "low fuel pressure".

May 052017

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

Happened again! Hyundai Santa Fe stalled out on me on my way home from work. Was making a left hand turn onto a busy street and BAM! Again, lost all steering, power, etc. had to coast to a stop, put it in park, and restart the engine. Generally starts right back up, but I am so afraid I'm going to be rear-ended! Have had it in to the dealer and they can only suggest to replace the throttle body, but only say that it COULD fix the problem. For $650 they should be able to tell me that it will fix the problem. Do not feel safe driving my car.

- , Peoria, US

Apr 222017

Santa Fe ES V6

Driving one block from my home, The engine suddenly shutdown in the middle of the turn.

- , Westlake Village, US

Apr 092017

Santa Fe Limited V6

Driving along the hwy at a speed of 90 km and the car died. No power, was a near multi car accident as everyone behind me had to slam on their brakes, cars were swerving everywhere. I turned the key off as the lights on the dashboard were lit up, ESC AWD Engine light. When I was able to collect myself, I turned the vehicle back on and the vehicle started but all the lights were still on.

I was able to take it into my mechanic the next morning and they were able to diagnose the problem as the Electronic Throttle Control Actuator needs to be replaced. Which can only be replaced at a Hyundai dealer. Go figure.

Can't believe that Hyundai has not taken responsibility for this problem in Hyundai Santa Fe vehicles. I guess they are waiting for a lawsuit.

I did not know of any problem previously as my Santa Fe has been pretty good to me.

- , Quesnel, BC, Canada

Apr 152016

Santa Fe Limited V6

I have always loved my 2009 Santa Fe until April of 2016 when driving at about 35 mph it just shut off. All the lights on the dash came on and I had no power steering or braking or anything. It just shut down and it was very scary to say the least. Thankfully I was able to pull over without incident, put the car in park and it did restart right away. I called the Hyundai dealership where I purchased the car and they basically told me that they probably wouldn't be able to recreate the incident in the shop and maybe it was just a fluke so continue to drive it and see if it happens again. I was nervous to drive it but I did and then it happened a second time in August of 2016 when my husband was driving it at about 40 mph. We took it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic on it but nothing showed up. They said they could run more tests but we would have to pay for it and no guarantee that they would be able to find the problem. We told them that we had gone on the internet and this was a known problem with this car but they wouldn't do anything further. I think this is horrible customer service and shame on Hyundai for not having a recall on this problem. I have loved my Santa Fe but I will never buy another Hyundai product. This is very dangerous and it is a tragedy waiting to happen. What car just suddenly, without warning, shuts off! I am furious at Hyundai for not addressing this recurring problem and just leaving the customer with a dangerous car.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Nov 212016

Santa Fe GL 3.3L

ground fault in passenger side

The car had hesitated and stalled a few times. The sound system had also shut off or restarted randomly while driving. It seemed like something was affecting the power distribution. Then several days later the car died (no dash lights, ignition switch acting strangely, engine would not turn over. Fortunately it was in my driveway. I got some help and pushed the car into my garage. I've done a lot of work on cars and am also an electrical engineer and the car was not under warranty, so I downloaded schematics from the Hyundai service site (great that you can get this info, really helps, small charge) and proceeded to debug the problem. After a couple hours of investigation I narrowed the problem down to a grounding issue in the passenger cabin. I confirmed the problem by running a wire (jumper cable) from the negative terminal of the battery to frame on the inside of the passenger cabin. As soon as I made this connection, all problems disappeared. The engine started fine, audio system was working, all lights on. I'm not sure where the "break" in the ground connection is (a weld spot, wire/connector, other?), but running a separate wire from the battery to the passenger cabin and using an existing ground point solved the problem.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Jul 012014

Santa Fe SE V6

Started a couple of years ago after fuel sensors went out. I was trying to accelerate into traffic and couldn't the ESC light and engine light came on at the same time. It's getting worse computer didn't give accurate reading so I had to pay Hyundai a $125 to diagnose they said Throttle Body Position part and Brake Switch not the recall one but other and ECM update. They scribbled what I needed on my receipt after I told her to write it down please . . . she just wanted to chat about it and must have assumed I'd be having it fixed there. NOT!!!!!! Ever since they wouldn't fix fuel level sensor when vehicle was only 2000 miles out of warranty I refuse to even deal with them. Anyway my mechanic said he needed there diagnoses as he couldn't get specific neither could they BTW because he had already told me the same thing they did. Since they failed to print out an estimate my husband has put a call in to Service manager this morning but he's gone not there until tomorrow at 7am tomorrow morning.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 132016

Santa Fe SE 3.3L

Engine stalls while driving, no check engine light, no errors when connected to OBD. I see there is a class action lawsuit for the same problem with the 2010 model, why is the 2009 left out? It's apparently a problem Hyundai is aware of.

- , Orefield, PA, USA

Aug 032016

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

Stalled mid driving at 30mph. This is second occurrence, first was on highway, cruising at 65 mph. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

- , Cary, NC, USA

Jul 192016

Santa Fe 2.7L

• CVT transmission

First all this is not the first occurance, but it is beginning to happen more frequently. Is has been happening for at least 5 years sporadically. It's scary now as its happening when ever. This last time I was in heavy traffic with some slowing then speeding up. Traffic came to complete stop then resumed but my call shut down and only restarted after 4 attempts. I could have been hit. Something must be done to correct this.

- , Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 212016

Santa Fe Limited 3.3L V6

This has been a very good SUV up until yesterday when it shut down for no apparent reason. Low speed exit and wham, no power steering brakes etc. Thankfully I was able to stop at the red light in front and restart tit. Just concerned going forward.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 142016

Santa Fe

I’ve taken my 2009 Santa Fe to the Rick Case Roswell, Ga on Friday, 7/1/2016 and again today, 7/15/2016, both for the same issue, my car is stalling while I drive it. On 7/1 they told me it was the battery, so had a new one installed while there.

Both times, I’m been turning into a curve (it was a right hand turn on 7/1 and a left hand turn on 7/15). The first time I was lucky as it was just coming off a stop light. Last night, however, it was a curve to get on the highway with an 18 wheeler thundering behind me when my car stalled, and I lost the power steering and braking and almost became an 18 wheeler hood ornament.

As I mentioned, the dealer is perplexed by the issue, nothing is showing up on the diagnostics and they can’t replicate the problem. I had to leave the dealership with the sense that I’m driving around in a ticking time bomb. As a women who frequently drives by herself in the car, and on the highway 99.9% of the time, I can’t tell you the fear that knowing that this can happen again at any moment and that the next time I may not be so lucky, instills in me.

This is my second Hyundai and I have always considered myself to be a proud Hyundai owner, but I just did a little research and found out that a) not only am I far from the only person who has had this issue, b) there has actually been a class action law suit that Hyundai lost regarding the frequent stalling of Hyundai vehicles.

I need Hyundai to fix this issue asap or risk being sued by my family after I’m killed in a car accident that is the direct result of your stalling vehicles.

- , roswell, GA, USA

Mar 012015

Santa Fe

I bought my car used in 2014. It only had 40,000 miles. However shortly after purchase, it cut off on me while driving a couple of times. Happened a few times and then nothing. Recently started again. No sound, engine just quietly goes died. If I am recalling correctly, the A/C is running when this happens. NO ONE CAN FIND A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! The "RECALL" starts at 2010. My car is 2009.

- , Anniston, AL, USA

Jul 152011

Santa Fe SE 3.3L V6

Engine stalls while driving in highway(80-85MPH)

Pull the car to shoulder and off engine, wait 3 minute restart, 20 minute driving and stall and repeat.

Driving 12 hours with this condition and finally dealer fixed with warranty covered.

Thanks.... but I'll consider next car not Hyundai.

- , Oakland Tonwship, MI, USA

Sep 162015

Santa Fe LX 3.3L

This car stalled twice in a year.We were driving in fairly heavy traffic and the car just completely lost all power.We were very lucky we were not severely injured as the drivers behind had no idea of what was happening.The second time we were driving into a very busy Costco and suddenly we lost all power.The last time we noticed the car was running very rough when stopped at lights and you had to hold the brake pedal down hard to keep car from surging ahead. The first time it happened I took it to the dealer and they said it was a software problem.I now know that was B.S

- , Mcdonald's Corners, ON, Canada

Jul 222015

Santa Fe GLS

I am experiencing engine problems with my 2009 Santa Fe. The car has an intermittent problem with stalling. This malfunction occurs while driving and without warning and is potentially a life threatening issue. I am not the only Hyundai owner to experience this. There are hundreds perhaps thousands of others In the same predicament. The dealerships (certified Hyundai mechanics) are doing nothing more than running computer diagnostics looking for fault codes. This malfunction is not giving a fault code however. The Hyundai corporation appears to be doing nothing to address the issue from what I know. Research needs to be done to correct this problem. Hyundai needs to issue a recall and fix this.

- , Wichita Falls, TX, USA