Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

Mar 172017

Santa Fe

Oil leak from valve cover gasket which has been fixed on two different occasions. And gas meter is not reading the correct level of gas.

- Lumberton, NJ, USA

Jan 012017

Santa Fe

Airbag light continuously on. Never had a problem before. Have been in an accident but cleared. Car was put back together and not on a salvage title. Fuel pump sensors are at fault. Need to replace fuel pump sensors. All fault codes appear when vehicle is not in motion.

- El Sobrante, CA, USA

Feb 062017

Santa Fe

Check engine light is on and gas gauge shows empty even after filling up tank.the problem started at around 100,000 miles ( give or take) mechanic said it the fuel sensor on driver's side as per electronic reading.a recall must be issued for this dangerous defect. Its plain to see its a common issue. I already ran out of gas during my morning commute on nyc westside highway & fdr drive, I literally almost died the 1st time it happened.

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jan 062018

Santa Fe

Serious fuel gauge malfunction. Gauge always reads empty, even after a fill up. Gauge continues to read empty whether stationary, in motion, on a city street, turning braking, etc. I believe the cause of the safety risk is a failed fuel sender assembly, likely parts 94460-0W000 and 94430-0W000. This appears to be a widespread problem in the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe model. Definitely a safety hazard, as I cannot tell how much fuel is in my tank while driving. Another common issue with this make and model is a failure of the purge valve. This has also happened in my vehicle. This defect will prohibit the car from starting if you fill up a full tank. So, the driver is forced to fill up less than a full tank so that they can be confident that the car will start after putting gas in the vehicle. This is a less serious hazard than the fuel gauge, but worrisome nonetheless.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Dec 152017

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge does not read properly will go from full to empty leading to running out of fuel while driving

- Bennington, NE, USA

Dec 142017

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge displayed an incorrect reading. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Nov 242017

Santa Fe

On several occasions while driving the car completely shuts off no steering no gas nothing quite dangerous and quite scary while the car is in motion on the street

- Temecula, CA, USA

Sep 182017

Santa Fe

Fuel senders are failing. Check engine light comes on and fuel gauge shows near empty even when vehicle has full tank.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Sep 302017

Santa Fe

While driving and making right turn engine stalled lost brakes and steering, was able to stop in middle of road with traffic coming up fast, put in park re-started. This second time within a year

- Apex, NC, USA

Jun 082016

Santa Fe

Like the other posted complaints, my 2009 Santa Fe is having fuel gauge issues. It never shows the correct level. I changed the fuel cap but this did nothing to solve the problem. My check engine light comes on because of this problem. The readout comes back: "fuel level sensor". this can be a dangerous situation and will prevent me from passing a state inspection. I use my trip odometer to gauge where I am with fuel tank level. I have to set my trip to zero at every fill-up. At 144 miles I know I'm at 1/2 a tank roughly. This is an issue that Hyundai is refusing to admit to so they can save money. Maybe this isn't an air bag, but, if I loan my car to my daughter and she runs out of fuel on a highway......I don't want to think about it. Force Hyundai to fix this!

- Fishkill, NY, USA

May 012017

Santa Fe

The fuel gauge slowly oscillates between the (assumed) correct value and zero, often triggering the low-level light. It makes it impossible to be confident about how much gas you have in the vehicle. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is stationary, in motion, or what kind of driving condition you are in, or whether the engine is running or not. It seems to be a malfunction in the sensor or electronic controls. My local dealer said this is a common issue (~$400 to fix) but Hyundai hasn't issued a recall because it's not a "safety issue". this is a safety issue as you are never sure whether it is correctly indicating a low fuel level or not... I worry about my 16 year old daughter driving by herself at night without knowing whether she has enough gas or not to make it home! if this is a known/common issue for this make/model it should be recalled and repaired by Hyundai.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Aug 152016

Santa Fe

Fuel indicator gauge fluctuates severely and does not show correct level. Since the level is incorrect, and the warning indicator does not function, this can cause the vehicle to unexpectedly run out of fuel and shut down the engine while driving. This causes dangerous driving conditions. There are numerous complaints about this issue.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jan 092017

Santa Fe

Gas gauge does not register amount of gas that is in the tank. Fill up tank and gauge remains a empty or goes to full and the quickly moves to empty. Many complaints about same issue with 2009 Santa Fe. Safety issue because you never know how much gas you have and can very easily run out of gas on a major highway causing a major accident.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

Feb 102017

Santa Fe

I noticed the fuel gauge was erratic and mostly incorrect. After a couple of weeks it quit working at all. Ive tried to reset the trip odometer and keep up with the amount of gas I should have in the tank. I gave out of gas on an interstate at 11pm in sub freezing weather. The dealership diagnosed the fuel sensor as the problem. I've noticed several hundreds of similar complaints here. The estimated fix is $500. Additionally there is a hissing sound from the tank when I stop to fill up. Upon filling the tank the engine will not crank initially. It apprears to be flooding the engine with gasoline. If im patient I will eventually get it cranked. When I pull off it shuts off. This continues as I intentionally drive around in the parking lot due to having this happen once after pulling out onto the highway almost caused an accident. I am a retiree on fixed income. The auto will not pass nc emissions inspection due this month until the check engine light goes off.

- Fairview, NC, USA

Feb 272017

Santa Fe

The fuel reading fluctuates continuously with incorrect readings sometimes it says empty when it's full or has a significant amount of gas in it. Then the check engine light comes on. I took it to an auto care shop to have them use their computerized system to see why my check engine light is on. It showed the codes P0464 and P0463. This is the fuel sensor circuit and it is extremely dangerous because you could be driving and the gage suddenly reads empty and your car shuts down. If your on the highway and this happens your dead! this is happening to so many Hyundai Santa Fe's yet no one is doing anything about it. This needs to be addressed asap or there will be extreme consequences! this happens when the vehicle is in motion when it's stationary and everytime you start the car! it is so dangerous and I'm afraid to drive my car now

- Salisbury, MA, USA

Jan 092017

Santa Fe

Fuel gauge not working properly, it will go from showing there is gas in the tank to completely empty, then back to gas in the tank. This has lead to the check engine light coming on. I don't want to get stuck out in this cold weather with an empty tank due to a faulty fuel gauge

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 012016

Santa Fe

My fuel gauge is not working now the engine light has come one

- Johnston, RI, USA

Oct 272016

Santa Fe

After filling my gas tank, the fuel gauge on my 2009 Santa Fe would read empty and the low fuel light would illuminate. In addition, the "check engine" light came on. After driving a few miles the fuel gauge would fluctuate between empty and half full. The mechanic checked the onboard computer and the code said it was the fuel sensors. He replaced both of them, at a cost of $500, and it seems to have solved the problem. Mileage was slightly under 100,000 miles.

- Florence, KY, USA

Sep 222016

Santa Fe

Have had the same issue as others. Fuel gauge isn't working, or works erratically. Check engine light is intermittent. Never know if the engine light is still on for fuel issue or something different, that could be considered dangerous. Code returned as fuel sensor or sending unit. I now believe it has caused issues with my catalytic converter. What does it take for Hyundai to step up to the plate?? I will never buy this again. Too many problems that no one can fix. I swear this car is haunted!

- Raymond, ME, USA

Aug 282016

Santa Fe

I want to join the many others who have launched complaints on this and other websites about the faulty fuel gauge sensors of the 2009 Santa Fe. When I fill my gas tank, the fuel gauge only registers at half a tank and the low fuel light comes on. Now my check engine light is on. When I brought the vehicle to auto zohn to have the engine light checked, it does, indeed, come up as a faulty fuel level sensor. Hyundai is obviously aware of this problem as evidenced by all of the consumer feedback, yet it has failed to do anything to assist. Unlike their counterparts at Toyota, Volkswagen and Chrysler, it shouldn't take a tragedy for Hyundai to step up and address this safety concern.

- Charlton, MA, USA