Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

Jul 052019

Santa Fe

I purchased this car used in 2011. Over the years, at random times, the radio will "pop" off and back on again. It doesn't seem to affect the rest of the electrical system in the car, but it's a little scary when it happens - mechanic can't replicate. Now, twice in the last week, my car has stalled while slowing down, once on a multi-lane street and once after decelerating coming off the expressway (complete loss of power, steering, brakes, etc). I put the car in neutral and it started right back up, but this has happened in heavy traffic and scared the cr out of me! I'm terrified that this might happen at a higher speed on the expressway. I have seen several mentions of similar power losses for this same vehicle. I have no check engine lights and no codes come up when scanned. No recalls reported either, although a power loss at the wrong time could kill someone. Not sure if this is electrical, engine or fuel system related - I had over a half a tank of gas in the car during both occurrences.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 102018

Santa Fe

While driving on the highway the driver side visor fell out of the ceiling as if the wires were cut in half in the hole that held the visor in place. I did not have an accident due to the sudden event but I have barely been able to see while driving early in the mornings or late in the evenings when the sun is low in the sky and shining directly through the window.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

May 012018

Santa Fe

"takata recall" my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, at approximately 110 miles, developed a problem, which actually results in a serious/safety problem. The problem is with the fuel system fuel gauge displaying the correct amount of fuel available in the tank. I don't know if the problem is with the fuel pumps, or the fuel sensing units in the gas tanks, or with the wiring between the gas tank and the gas gauge, or with the gas gauge itself. It doesn't matter if the vehicle is stationary or moving nor if the vehicle is slanted at an angle. Quite often the problem results in the "check engine" light coming on. So far I've only run out of gas once, and since I was on the freeway this was a very serious safety issue as I lost both my steering and braking systems. Any more I stop for fuel after about 120 miles or so. My Hyundai dealer has quoted my a price of around $3,000 (that's three thousand dollars) to fix the problem, and he said that they can't even guarantee that the problem won't reoccur. And he said that this is not included in the extended warranty which I purchased with the vehicle. This is an issue that "Hyundai" should take care of !!!

- Westport, WA, USA

Aug 022018

Santa Fe

Shifting cabel broke, while in gear, moving

- Sault Ste.Marie, MI, USA

Apr 012018

Santa Fe

First problem, gas gauge stopped working. Fluctuated up and down, then would read empty right after filling the tank. Had to have 2 sensors and fuel pump changed. Very expensive!! now the car stalls when slowing down. Every morning when I leave for work it stalls at least once, it has started back up, but this morning the motor felt very groggy and I did not feel safe in driving it anymore. Took it home. I've brought it to mechanics and it never dies for them and they can not find anything wrong with it, did it two more times after that, taking it tonight to see if they can figure it out. This is extremely unsafe!! it died the first time in the middle of the street! I was so afraid someone was going to run into the back of me! this is a huge problem and all over the internet with other Santa Fe owners for this year. I want Hyundai to step up to the plate and recall these cars! they are unsafe!!!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 012017

Santa Fe

Door panels have become gooy, the vinyl/leather has become gooey and comes off on your hands, arms, clothing, etc. It is very strange and is not normal. Needs to be fixed but not by me. What do I do and where do I take it? thanks, irma mills, owner

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Feb 092018

Santa Fe

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 3.3 liter has experienced occasional, random stalling over a few years, always while braking and often while turning. The problem seems to happen after a period of steady speed driving and then slowing down and turning. When this happens, the vehicle steering instantly gets very difficult and braking ability likewise becomes increasingly difficult. After putting the vehicle in neutral, or pulling over and parking the vehicle, it will always start right back up and run fine. The throttle position sensor has been replaced but the problem persists. I am a 50 year old man who can wrestle the car to safety (so far), but my wife, children, or others may not be so fortunate. There are repeated mentions of other Hyundai vehicles with similar problems, and these mostly mention a tps replacement and an accompanying ECU firmware update. There are no apparent recalls or tsbs with Hyundai that affect this vehicle and engine combination, and this is a huge safety problem for which there appears to be a remedy path.

- Farmington, NH, USA

Oct 052017

Santa Fe 6-cyl

Takata recall: On June 2 2017 I took my vehicle to happy Hyundai of oak lawn for an oil change. They determined there was a recall because of rusting of my cars undercarriage. They kept my vehicle until August 17,2017. On October 5th, I was backing in a parking spot, what I know now as my control arm, left axle and left ball joint broke. Had it towed home, called happy Hyundai, has it towed there. After inspectioning my vehicle they determined the control arm & axle were a part of the campaign recall but they are refusing to fix my vehicle. Reuben told me on June 2, they were confiscating it because I could be driving and the bottom of the vehicle could fall off. Thankfully I wasn┐T driving on the highway. Hyundai returnses an unsafe vehicle to me and are not taking responsibility in repairing my vehicle when they should at least repair they recall since the control arm & axle was included in the recall. I think an investigation should be opened regarding this recall to ensure Hyundai is repairing vehicles up to safety standards. The consumer requested a status update. Updated 12/07/2017

- Blue Island, IL, USA

Sep 302017

Santa Fe

While driving and making right turn engine stalled lost brakes and steering, was able to stop in middle of road with traffic coming up fast, put in park re-started. This second time within a year

- Apex, NC, USA

Mar 282017

Santa Fe

Paint comes off the car in large pieces that, if raining, will stick to windshield of the car and the car behind you, while driving. This blocks the visibility out of the front of the windshield and causes wiper problems as the large pieces get stuck to them. Again this will happen while driving in the rain. The large piece of paint will still come off during normal driving, but the safety concern is while driving in the rain. Pieces as large as 1 inch by 1 inch are not uncommon, with the largest piece currently missing is about 8 inches by 8 inches. Problem started happening over 2 years ago. When the pieces get stuck to the windshield, you have to pull over to remove them from both the windshield and wiper blades. This is also dangerous as we have had to pull over on a major freeway before to remove them from parts of the vehicle, namely the windshield and wipers. This problem again causes problems with visibility out of the front of the windshield of the car and possibly the car(s) behind you while driving in the rain. I don't believe that large pieces (sheets) of paint should be coming off of a car and sticking to a windshield of the affected car and cars around it, while driving in the rain. Truly this is a safety issue.

- Ashland, OR, USA

Aug 132016

Santa Fe

While driving the vehicle and turning onto a side street the engine shut off. There was no indication as to what happened, no check engine light and no error codes showed up. This is apparently a problem Hyundai is aware of and there is a class action lawsuit pending however it only covers model years 2010-2012.

- Orefield, PA, USA

Jun 222016

Santa Fe

On several occasions the fuel gauge is not registering that there is gas after having filled the tank to capacity. It is impossible to know if the car has gas or not.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Apr 162016

Santa Fe

There has been numerous instances when my vehicle has a full tank and during driving the gauge suddenly indicate an empty tank. The check engine light comes on on further investigation I have discovered that this is a common issue with this make vehicle. I am afraid of travelling I believe that this issue needs to be investigated as it could cause a safety issue for drivers who make the assumption that this is only a sensor problem and continue driving and suddenly stall in the middle of the road.

- Rosedale, Queens, NY, USA

Dec 222015

Santa Fe

Vehicle caught fire while parked in the driveway. Vehicle had not been driven for approximately 4 hours.

- Walkersville, MD, USA

Dec 142015

Santa Fe

I noticed that when I was in park, the car would just shut off. This happened three times within a few week's time. I was concerned and wondered if the car would ever just shut off while I was driving on the freeway or a busy street. To my horror, it happened! a few days ago I was turning into a parking lot and the car just shut off!...there was a car behind me that came to a screeching halt! again my greatest fear is that the car will stall on me while the vehicle is in motion and if that happens on a road where cars are travelling at high speeds, then I would probably not live to tell the story.

- Lathrup Village, MI, USA

Nov 012015

Santa Fe

Only 85K miles on the Hyundai used for normal driving. The fuel gauge/sensors have begun acting erratic. Filled the gas tank and gauge showed full. Very next morning gauge down to a quarter tank. Purchased gas and only needed 3 gallons. Fuel gauge all over the place and not measuring gas correctly. Creates an unsafe condition as driver does not reliably know how much fuel is available. Many issues like this according to posts on internet. Hyundai has a systematic problem and should repair free of charge.

- Norman, OK, USA

Oct 102015

Santa Fe

We were exiting West bound I-10 in pensacola, fl, and when turning right onto the surface road at slow speed the engine died and we lost power including steering and brakes. We were able to pull off of the road into a restaurant parking lot and restart the car, but had a close call with suddenly reduced speed in merging traffic. This is the second time this has happened to us in this car. The first incident was in Aug, 2013 and was reported as incident report #1053149. At that time, the dealer was unable to reproduce the issue, so no repair was made. We believe that this is a safety issue and should be investigated.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Aug 112015

Santa Fe

At around 4:50 pm on August 11, 2015, my wife was driving our 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe limited 2wd 4 door wagon North-bound on second avenue, through the intersection of second avenue and foothill boulevard in upland, California. While crossing the intersection the Hyundai Santa Fe was struck by a car entering the intersection from the West. The impact to the Hyundai Santa Fe by the other car was severe enough to cause the Hyundai Santa Fe to be a total loss. Additionally, my wife suffered soft tissue injuries to her hip, shoulder, back and right temple (head). While the impact to the Hyundai Santa Fe wagon was severe enough to cause the vehicle to be a total loss and cause injuries to my wife, none of the front or side impact air-bags deployed. The car is now in the possession of the automobile club of southern California (claim number 012002790. I took some pictures of the damage to the vehicles, which I can provide if requ

- Upland, CA, USA

Jul 202013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

I was a passenger in the vehicle when it crashed into a fire hydrant doing approximately 40mph. The seatbelt failed to lock and the airbags failed to deploy. The car has major damage to the underbody, front-end, the inside of the vehicle dash, the motor mounts, engine and other damages are unknown at this time.

- Ft. Wayne, IN, USA

Mar 242010

Santa Fe

On March 24, 2010, my co-worker and I were in my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe when it suddenly accelerated. I pushed the brake to the floor and it would not slow down. I then put on the emergency brake. Both feet were extended to the floor holding these brakes down. The car did slow down but would not stop. I had to take a left turn across the highway (there was fortunately a break in the traffic), I put the car in park and turned off the engine. It made a very loud noise that lasted about 10 seconds or so. We jumped out of the car as if it were on fire. It's currently at the sheehy dealership in waldorf, md. We are awaiting their diagnosis.

- Waldorf, MD, USA