Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

Nov 242017

Santa Fe

On several occasions while driving the car completely shuts off no steering no gas nothing quite dangerous and quite scary while the car is in motion on the street

- Temecula, CA, USA

Mar 272017

Santa Fe

When slowing down to make a turn the engine shuts off. Power steering and breaks are gone. The car will crank right back off but this us very dangerous. I'm not sure if weather is a factor but when it has happened which gas been multiple times, it has been in the 80's. mechanics and dealership have not been able to find anything and no codes are recorded.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Sep 202016

Santa Fe

When driving the 2009 Santa Fe the car will shut off without warning. Power to breaks and steering is lost. Sometimes the car will start again when the car is placed in neutral and restarted. Sometimes the car will not start again for several minutes. In both instances the car is moving on a hilly road. The most recent occurrence is 09/20/2016

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

May 082015

Santa Fe

We were exiting a ramp off rt 75 in Florida. Our speed was about 30 mph. Suddenly we loss power steering and braking and acceleration. We coasted to a stop. We turned off the ignition and restarted the car after about 2 minutes...everything returned to normal. It was the second such experience. The first was August 2013. The dealership replaced the throttle sensor at that time. This latest experience is the exact duplicate of the first. I am taking the car to the dealership tomorrow morning.

- Lady Lake, FL, USA

Apr 222015

Santa Fe

I was driving my white Hyundai Santa Fe limited, 3.3L, 6cyl SUV home from work at approximately 4:30 pm eastern standard time. I was driving on the expressway at 70 mph when the engine suddenly shuts down and I lose steering control and brakes, veering onto a narrow shoulder and into a slope that sent my SUV into a swamp ditch, submerging the SUV up past the floorboards. My insurance claim specialist notified me that the vehicle was a total loss, and paid a claim payout and settlement far less than the amount still owed on the vehicle. It is my opinion that a cyber-attack signal sent to the SUV┐'s engine immobilizer switch, shut down the engine without warning, electronically. This can be accomplished from any hand held device, mobil phone, lap top computer, satellite feed, etc. All that is required is a VIN number, and any signal to the engine immobilizer switch can shut down the engine dangerously at highway speeds. This has happened at lower speeds of 20mph, where I would just turn the ignition key, the SUV would start the engine, and I would proceed. However, at highway speeds, I did not have this option.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Aug 172013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

When entering an up-ramp to a limited access highway at slow speed, less than 30 mph, and turning to the right, the engine suddenly died and power was lost to steering and brakes. We were able to pull off the road and restart, but were just lucky that this didn't happen on a curve at high speed or in heavy traffic. Took the car to the dealer the next day, and they were unable to repeat the problem.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Santa Fe 6-cyl

While slowing down, applying brakes to exit the highway into the cloverleaf off ramp, steering became very difficult and I was forced to continue in the current direction off the road into the grass. Upon stopping noticed dash lights were on and the vehicle had stalled. I was very lucky that I was headed into a grassy area and not into a wall as I couldn't steer in any other direction from when I lost power. Hyundai found no error codes and couldn't replicate the problem. Please see the following links for pages of similar experiences with Hyundai Santa Fe: 15 pages of related issues - www.Hyundai-forums.com/187-cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/133580-2011-santa-fe-stall-while-driving-13.html another -

- Edina , MN, USA

Oct 012012

Santa Fe

This incident occurred at night time. About 10 min from a cold start, I turned onto the 210 fwy. There was a 270 degree downhill turn (a steep curve) so I had the brakes on while doing 15 mph. Half way into the turn, I suddenly lost brake and steering wheel froze. With some effort, I managed to turn the steering and stop the car. The engine died without warning. Later I sent the car to dealership but they could not reproduce the event.

- Riverside, CA, USA