7.2

Most common solutions:

2. replaced thermistor. (not the thermostat) (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Jun 032017

Tucson SE 2.0L

Same as other users here. AC occasionally starts to blow warm air. The workaround is to turn off the AC for about 15 minutes, or turn off engine and restart. I will investigate getting the thermostat replaced.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 222016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

On July 22, 2016 we drove our newly purchased (June) 2016 Tucson from Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC. After driving continuously for the first 250 miles of the 400 mile trip the air conditioner started blowing hot air. We drove for approximately 50 miles with no cold air in 90 plus temperatures. After stopping for lunch and refueling, the air conditioner started working again. The remaining 100 miles were driven without any problems. We initially attributed this problem to a one-time glitch.

However, on Friday, July 29, 2016 after driving for only 45 minutes in the Charleston area, the air conditioner started blowing hot air again and continued for another 15 minutes until we stopped at our destination. Upon returning to our vehicle an hour later, the air conditioner started working again.

Although we were concerned about the air conditioner not working properly on our trip back to Richmond there was no issue. After reading about the experiences of others on this site, I realize that this is not an isolated incident and have scheduled the Tucson for service this Friday.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 012017

Tucson Limited 1.9L

We noticed that it was blowing warm air intermittently. when the AC was workingWhen the problem first occurred it was right after we bought the vehicle, we immediately took it to the dealer who said "we cant duplicate it". The next time it happened we called and said it is now blowing cold air again and we were told to monitor it since if they cant duplicate it they cant work on it. I then found this web site with other owners having the same problem. We had the problem again except this time it was over an hour before cold air came on so we took it in and was told again "we cant duplicate it and we have never heard of this problem before". Based upon advice from other owners here on this site we called Hyundai Customer service and a week later we were contacted by the dealer to bring it in and they would give us a loaner car. Days later they said it was the compressor. So they replaced the compressor and right after we drove out of the lot it started doing it again. So we went back to the dealer who again told us "we cant duplicate it", when we mentioned that we had just brought it in there because of our call to Hyundai Customer service they sat down with my wife and she told them about this site and other owner problems and that the thermoster might be the problem. They ordered one and a week later we were told it was back ordered so we called Customer service again to help expedite the part (they told us there was no such part, until we explained to them there was)....another week (car was in the shop for two weeks) the thermoster came in and they replaced it and now the car has been working for a few days with no problems. We cannot thank the other owners here enough about posting their problems and the fixes as this car has been in the shop for this issue almost 4 weeks total since we bought it and we were just about to file a lemon law complaint though our lawyer.

- , Desoto, US

Tucson ECO 1.9L Turbo

IT'S FIXED!!! Like everyone else, my 2016 Hyundai Tucson Eco 1.9Turbo was doing fine until about 8000 miles. Then the a/c started intermittently blowing hot air. Between living in Florida and having hot flashes - this was enough to make me want to throat punch someone. Took it in to the dealer twice and was told the pressures and temps were fine and they couldn't recreate the problem. I started recording outside temp, speed, driving mode, temp dial settings, etc every time it happened. The only consistent factor was idle RPM's under 750.

Took it to another dealer and told the service advisor I was going to go grandma crazy on someone if they don't figure this out. He had me talk to the service tech. He said - jump in we're going for a ride. Finally someone with a brain!! We drove around until it started blowing hot air. He instantly knew what the problem was. He said Tucson's used to have a problem with bad thermostats a few years back. He replaced the thermostat (under warranty) and I've had ice-cold a/c ever since. Every drive mode, highway, stop and go traffic, cold engine, warm engine, high idle, low idle, all day every day. You can hang meat in my car now. I couldn't be happier!

Replace the Thermistor and enjoy the summer!

Update from Apr 16, 2017: - The problem is with the Thermistor (not the thermostat). My complaint is being auto-corrected to thermostat in error. The Thermistor was replaced under warranty.

- , New Port Richey, FL, US

Jul 102016

Tucson 1.6T Limited 1.6L

This car is a lemon. The geniuses at Tipton are completely clueless they have tried more that 6 times to get it fixed. They keep replacing parts at random hoping to get lucky. I'm tiring to get the Lemon replaced. I'm filing a complaint with the Texas BBB and soon a Texas Lemon complaint with the DMV. The dude from Hyundai takes more than 2 weeks to reply a simple email. BTW I prefer emails so I have documentation of all talks. Last week they replace yet another "PART" and I placed a thermometer on the vent and got a temperature variance of more than 20 degrees. As soon as the forward motion stops the airs warms up, as soon as forward motion starts it cools again.

I've come to really hate Hyundai and the Tipton from Brownsville.

- , Brownsville, US

Feb 072017

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Love the car, fun to drive, big yet small. ANNOYING A/C problem! this is the 2nd time im having it "fixed". Same as last time it generally blows warm air when stopped (ie: getting kids from school in the car line as I inch along, or in Orlando i4 traffic) then shortly after that starts the check engine light come on and also on the radio screen says "A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected. A full system check is recomended with a dealer... blah blah blah"

- , Davenport, US

Oct 032016

Tucson Limited 1.6lturbo

I bought this car in June with almost 6k miles. (It was a demo) While I was sitting in the car with the salesman, programming the radio, etc, I noticed the AC was blowing hot air instead of cool. The salesman had a service tech pull it back to take a look, and I drove home in a loaner. The next day when I picked up my brand new car, the guy at the service desk said they had looked it over, couldn't find a problem, but it is now working fine.

And it was fine for about a week or two. Then mid way into a 4 hour road trip, the AC quit working again. One minute it was on & cool; the next minute it was blowing warm air. Since I was several hours from home and it was late, I turned off the air, opened the windows & continued on my trip. When I stopped for gas & got back on the road, I tried the AC again. It worked just fine.

This has now happened several times since that day. Almost every weekend I am on the road for a long period of time, and almost every time, the AC quits working at least once.

Here are some observations: - It usually happens when I have been driving for more than an hour - When the cool air stops, and warm air starts, the warm air doesn't seem to flow out as forcefully as the cool air. - One night when it happened, I actually heard it before I noticed the temperature change. If you have it on max & this happens, the fan behind the dash sounds strained and louder than usual. - I have tried lowering the temp all the way down, raising the temp all the way up. Turning the AC on and off, etc. If you try this enough times, it will usually re-start. - If you turn the AC off for a while, then try it again later, it will work normally again.

I have had Hyundai check this 4 times now, and they have no solution. On my 3rd visit, they said that the first time this happened, the service tech logged the fix as 'loose fan plug'. They didn't mention that when I picked it up on day 1 of ownership, and the problem has not stopped. Evidently it doesn't log as an error and they can't do anything about it unless they see it in action. Since this generally happens while I am far away from home, I don't see how this will ever get resolved. Maybe I will spend this weekend doing laps around the dealership so I will be close to them when it happens again.

I am beyond frustrated that I paid $32k and cannot get this resolved.

- , Mason, OH, USA

Tucson Limited

Started having air problems in about August/Sept and took it to the dealership with no resolution. Continues to happen, made another appointment and called dealer. Dealer said they can't fix if they can't replicate the problem. I cancelled the appointment and have been taking videos of the problem. The air blows cool until you stop or park and have the car running, stuck in traffic, then it gets luke warm. No solutions so far. Very frustrating.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 262016

Tucson Limited Turbo

Was on vacation on way to Colorado and temp was near 100. 2.5 hours into the trip the AC started blowing warm air which lasted for several hours. We stopped and asked a dealer in Amarillo who said he had had 50 this summer with the same and believes it to be the evaporative cooling sensor and expected Hyundai to have a recall soon, but he has no proof. His solution was to stop the AC totally for 30 minutes, open the windows, and let the unit defrost. This actually worked although it was quite hot. After 30 minutes it was cool again for the rest of the trip.

We continued on to Colorado Springs, where at the dealer we were told there was nothing wrong, but that we had to keep both dials at exactly 63°, keep all vents totally open, and that would fix it. He was condescending and treated me like an idiot.

The AC worked fine during rest of time in Colorado, but we never drove for more than 2 hours. BTW, this trip was first occasion we drove more than 2 hours since we bought the car. New complaint will be filed separately, but know that the exact same time and same thing happened on the way home.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 292016

Tucson Limited Turbo

Second occurrence of exact same thing and second report here. Driving home from vacation, 2.5 hours into trip, AC blows warm air once again. This is even after going to the dealer and being told I was crazy, essentially.

We turned the air off for 30 minutes, opened the window, and after that the AC worked fine. Took it to the purchasing dealer when we got home, he ran the car standing still for 3 hours and said nothing was wrong, he has heard of others with same problem, but said with no recall from Hyundai he could do nothing. When I suggested lemon law he gave me the number and did not argue with me at all, just like he had been through this before.

Decided we will wait for short period to see if Hyundai acts, research the web, and maybe turn it back in for refund.

I will not keep a car that I cannot take on vacation without AC. That's just ridiculous.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 032016

Tucson Limited Turbo 1.6L

Bought my 2016 Tuscon in May 2016 in Spartanburg, SC. Started having air problems in about July and took back in to the dealer ship 3 different times with no resolution so far in October. The air blows cool until you stop and then it gets luke warm. Very frustrating, a new car with no solutions to this problem. You should'nt have to get sweaty every time you stop and idle. Lemon laws do not allow this

- , Inman, SC, USA

Tucson Sport 1.6L

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson and a few weeks ago I left it running in the parking lot of a store with my wife and kids in the car on MAx air. I was in the store about 5 minute and when I came out the air conditioning was blowing hot air. It would not stop blowing hot air until I turned the car completely off and turned it back on. Yesterday while driving home on the highway the air conditioning again got warm on Max for at least 10 minutes. When I turned the car off and on it started working again. I had the car in the dealer once already and they could not find a problem and this time I called them and they said to turn the Eco mode off. It didnt fix the issue, but why would it anyway? I wrote Hyundai customer service about the engineering issue of the AC and they replied back with a generic response about sorry you had a bad experience with the dealership. This is not a dealership issue.

- , Trenton, OH, USA

Aug 222016

Tucson LX 4

About 3 1/2 weeks ago, my ac starting blowing cool air, then back to cold. After a couple weeks I took it to Hyundai, just bought this car in May 2016. They said couldn't find anything wrong, but recharged the ac and added Freon. 1 1/2 weeks later I brought it back, they repeated same, left it running in the mechanics bay for an hour, no temperature change. They told me to create a log of times/temps/m/hr, etc if it did it again. I didn't even get home and it was fluctuating a lot. 4 days later, I called and asked to take the technician for a drive, he did, hooked up the computer, and it showed the ac shutting off multiple times in the 5 mile drive. That was Tuesday, they are still doing tests on it???? It's Friday, I've had a rental car and no explanation yet of what's wrong with my ac. Are the engineers the shop contacts really in Korea? That would explain why she told me sometimes they don't get an answer back for two or three days on what they need to do to fix the car.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 292016

Tucson Limited 1.6L

So, everything worked fine until suddenly this evening, the A/C blows warm air for 10-15 minutes, as many others have experienced. Just as suddenly, regardless of what buttons I pushed or temperature I tried, it blew cool again. I haven't called the dealer yet, but it doesn't appear anyone has gotten it resolved. Just wanted to add my issue to the list.

- , Temple, TX, USA

Jul 062016

Tucson Limited W/ultimate Pkg 1.6t

As well as my transmission problems with the DCT, the AC has gone from great to hot air. This is Texas and it's summer, and it's a 30k car that was bought new. Unacceptable! It has done it 5 times to be exact. Got it in for service, of course I get the call, everything looks fine no problems, it's ready for pickup. Well, again, wondering if I'm the only one, I got on here and saw I'm not and that others are experiencing the same exact issue. I try to turn the AC off and back on, turn the temp up or down a little, I even turned the heat on, and then back to AC. It just decides to work and come back on when it wants. Sometimes it does it with in 10 mins of driving, other times it does it after an hour of driving. Again, I will be at Hyundai service center repeatedly until its fixed.

- , Magnolia, TX, USA

Jun 012016

• CVT transmission

I purchased my new 2016 Tucson Limited Turbo end of May 2016. It has already been in the shop 2 times for the air blowing warm air all of a sudden. It has happened at least 5 times. I think I narrowed that down to happening when I make a call through bluetooth, but only sometimes. Of course Hyundai can't reproduce the problem so I get the car back and wait for it to happen again, bring it back in, for them to find nothing. This is along with the transmission problems - the car is currently indefinitely at the dealers waiting for a solution to the transmission. They don't have any info on the air yet.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jun 252016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Driving to the store with my wife and about 10 mins into the drive the A/C goes warm to hot. It's in the triple digits here in Phoenix now so this problem just keeps pushing the stress levels higher. I will never purchase a Hyundai again! I've had my Tuscon in for this issue 4 times now and they cant duplicate the problem, plus, whatever diagnostics they run; show all is normal... I'll make a bold prediction that the compressors are bad and they just don't have the right sensors in place to detect the failure. Either way it sucks to be a 2016 Tuscon owner... You pay $30k+ for a brand new vehicle and you expect some kind of integrity on the part of the manufacturer... All I'm getting is the run around!... I'm moving to legal action at this time.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 052016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Bought my 2016 Tucson as certified pre-owned with 11,000 miles on 7/4. Drove it home from Salt Lake City to Boise with no problems. I had done a lot of research about what car I wanted & was thrilled to be driving my dream car. Today (7/5) I turned on the a/c on the way home from my daughter's house. It was only about 85 degrees out, but the car had been parked outside for a few hours. For the first 10 minutes or so, all was well. Then I realized that I was no longer getting cold air. I turned down the temperature & turned up the fan but all I was getting was warm air. I swear it was not even outside air but actually heated air!

At first I thought I was losing my mind but as the sweat began to run down my back I knew we had a real problem. (I could swear that the car knocked the fan speed down of its own accord during this process too.) Anyway I called the local Hyundai dealer's service department & explained my problem. The service guy tried to tell me that running the a/c at full blast could cause it to freeze up-that he'd had people tell him about ice chunks falling into the cabin (!) When I told him I was NOT running it at full blast or anything close to it, he suggested I bring it in. He said on very hot days the a/c can just get over-worked. I reminded him that it was only 85 today & that we had plenty of hotter weather ahead & if this happened on a relatively mild day we were in for trouble later in the summer. I had gotten off the freeway & was at a stop light at that point & had rolled down the window because it was actually cooler outside than in my car! As I pulled away when the stoplight changed my a/c miraculously got cold again. I was still on the phone with the service technician so I told him things had started to work normally again.

He suggested I see how things go for the next couple of days & to bring it in if it happened again. It was nearly 5:00 pm so I decided to just head home. I googled "2016 Hyundai Tucson air conditioner stops working" when I got home & found this thread. Can't say I'm encouraged by what I've read. I bookmarked the thread to show the technician if/when I need to take it in. Hope this is something that gets resolved. I love my car and want reliable cold a/c this summer!

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jun 252016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Intermittent problems (once a week or so) the air conditioner continues to blow warm air 10 minutes after engine startup. The only solution is to shut-off engine and restart. Simply turning off the a/c and turning back on does not solve the issue. Dealership can't replicate so they don't do anything to fix the intermittent problem.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 182016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

I have a new 2016 Tucson 1.6L Turbo Limited. I was on a drive from Long Beach to Sylmar, CA which is about 1 hour long. From the get go, my A/C decided it was taking the day off. I drove for about an hour and a half with no air conditioning. Only the fan worked. I tried the automatic climate control. I tried setting the temperature to low with the A/C button selected. Nothing. Just warm air. Funny enough, once I arrived at my destination, the A/C decided to kick in. Now, I'm sitting in my car for about 5 minutes just to see if it will turn off. Nope, blowing nice, cold air. After about 2 hours, I got back in the car and started it up, the air conditioning started to work for about 10-15 minutes and it quit working again. I drove the whole way up and back with the windows down. NOT COOL! This is not my first go around with Hyundai. But I've never experienced this in any of the seven models I have owned, until this one.

- , Long Beach, CA, USA