8.2

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Jun 252018

Tucson

EVERY TIME I STOP THE CAR AND PUSH THE GAS, THE GAR JERKS. IT FEELS AS IF THE TRANSMISSION IS SLIPPING ALREADY. THIS IS A NEW CAR UNDER WARRANTY. I WORK IN REAL ESTATE AND IT IS EMBARRASSING, VERY FRUSTRATING AND DANGEROUS. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

HYUNDAI HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING TO RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM. THE CAR IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF RECALL OR ACCOUNTABILITY. PLEASE HELP.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY SUCCESS FIXING THIS ISSUE?

- Robert E., TORONTO, ON, Canada

Jul 182018

Tucson ECO 1.6L

Noticed a shuttering when starting from a complete stop to accelerating when moving forward. Problem was brought to the attention of the service manager at Hyundai during servicing. Service manager told us that it was normal with the 7 speed transmission. I have never heard that when a problem which occurs 1 year from being a new vehicle being a normal problem we have to live with. This is the same service manager who tried to sell us a battery, which was fine on a 2 year old Sonata.

- Stanley D., Fairhope, AL, US

Oct 022017

Tucson Night 1.6L Turbo

I love everything about my Hyundai Tucson, however the transmission issues are horrible. When you take off from a complete stop, you have to feather the gas pedal to take off, otherwise the transmission will slip during take off. Driving in rush hour traffic (stop and go) makes the drive feel like I am driving a stick shift, meaning the transmission feels jerky. The biggest issue I had was when I was moving about 15 mph making a left to oncoming traffic, and as I accelerated, the transmission just flat lined, meaning it was as if I just let off the gas. This happened for about 5 seconds. I am grateful the oncoming traffic slowed down, otherwise I would have been T-boned. I am at the point to where I am about to sell the lemon and will never buy another Hyundai moving forward if this isn't resolved. I am pretty confident they will not fix the transmission.

- Scott G., Frederick, MD, US

Jan 102018

Tucson Value 2.4L

The transmission hesitates from a stop. It's dangerous. It happens on BOTH my and my wife 2017 Tuscans. It has happened from the very first weeks. I informed my dealer who was very aware of the issue and stated that there is no fix available from the MFR.

I made it very clear to the dealership staff that if I or my wife is in a car accident because of this issue, our first call will be to an attorney because this is a KNOWN ISSUE to Hyundai!

- Michael M., Bensenville, IL, US

Aug 092018

Tucson LS 2.9L

Like many others on this page, I too have experienced the hesitation. Was told months ago that it was fixed when a TPS was either adjusted or replaced. I had no problems for about a month. Then, it started right back up AND HAPPENS ALMOST DAILY. I genuinely thought it was a gas quality issue and switched gas brands. Then I thought it was because it was cold. Then maybe because it was too hot or too humid or my hair was not looking so good that day.

The hesitation is so bad that on 3 separate occasions, I thought the end of my life was eminent. When you rely on a car to perform when you hit the accelerator and you end up not moving or just simply rolling with another vehicle coming right at you going approximately 55+ mph, you get downright terrified. Other times it's hesitated from a stop, I've gunned it and went about 10-12 mph and was fortunate enough to have no oncoming traffic. IT'S EVEN HESITATED WHEN TRYING TO PASS ANOTHER CAR AND I WAS GOING AT LEAST 45 MPH.

My last vehicle was also a Hyundai. A 2012 Sonata SE to be exact. It took some getting used to the Smart Transmission BUT IT MOVED!!! In fact, it hauled A$$. I was quite surprised for a 4 cyl. This Tucson won't get out of its own way and IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!! I will call my dealership and see what they have to say but truth be told, I'm expecting the same answers written on this board previously. Nothing, nada, zip.

HYUNDAI - ARE YOU WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO GET KILLED BEFORE YOU REALLY FIX THE PROBLEM????? Or ARE YOU JUST WAITING FOR ALL OF US TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? WE PAID GOOD MONEY FOR THESE VEHICLES. YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOUR PRODUCT IS PROPERLY FUNCTIONING OR YOUR WARRANTY ISN'T WORTH THE PIECE OF PAPER IT IS WRITTEN ON.

- Jill S., Elgin, IL, US

May 302017

Tucson LTD Turbo

Do a "Hail Mary" before turning left.. hope you make it. This "double-clutch" is a joke. It's like a teen learning to drive a stick shift. HerkyJerky.... just awful. New car I feel like it's old technology. Ok... gas mileage is good.

Update from Aug 30, 2018: traded it in... 2 times the check engine light went on. a week later it came on again and there was "rodent droppings" under the hood. Apparently the rodents like the coating of the wires and cables. (so we're driving around with at food bag for rodents?) There was no evidence of chewing, but apparent blockage from something the animal dragged into the car (they are saying dog bone?) anyway my nerves couldn't take it any more

- Lisa K., Marietta, US

May 102017

Tucson Limited 1.6L T

My problem is the same as all the others on this site. The car hesitates when accelerating from a stop. It's as if the engine is dying, and car slows down before catching the next gear. I have reported this to the dealership where I bough it 3 times now (May 2017, late 2017, and April 2018). Each time they indicated they were not aware of anyone else with this problem, and of course couldn't duplicate the issue or find a code for an error.

The last time they indicated they would contact Hyundai to see if there were other complaints or what if anything was recommended in the way of a fix. That was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard back. This issue is similar to one that happened with 2016 Sonata's which took them a while to recall. I really like the car but this issue could cause someone to get into an accident, and therefore this will be my last Hyundai because of the way this is being handled (owned a 2007 Santa Fe and and no problems).

- Ronald B., Saint Paul, MN, US

Jun 112018

Tucson V6

At first I thought I got some bad gasoline. We put high test gas in it and a fuel injector cleaner. The problem didn't get better. I took my car to my mechanic and he ran a diagnostic on it and nothing showed up. He was going to tweak something but there was a lock on it and he suggested I take it back to Hyundai since my car is under warranty. I did that on July 18 and they said that this problem is with the transmissions on the 2017 Tucsons and unless there is a recall there is no cures. There are times that it feels like my car is going to stall as I'm pulling out onto a busy street. There is no get up and go! I have over 20,000 on my car, just paid it off and even had my dealer call to see if I was interested in trading it in since they have a shortage of used Tucsons.

I think it is time to get this issue on the recall list before someone gets killed because it stalls out in heavy traffic. I have my grandchildren in my car way too often to have them affected by this issue.

- Janice S., Westerville, US

May 212018

Tucson Limited 1.6L

When I am in a stop position and put my foot on the gas, the car does not move. It hesitates for about 5 seconds and then jumps forward. Today I was in a traffic jam stopped, when I went to move I put my foot on the gas and the car would not move. I thought I was out of gas but I had 3/4 of a tank. After around 5 seconds the car leaped forward and almost hit the car in front! Last week I was backing out of the garage and when I put my foot on the gas the car didn't move for about 5 seconds again then accelerated fast!

I don't feel like I have control of the vehicle! It is scary.

I looked up to see if anyone else had this problem and noticed the 2016 Hyundai Tucson was recalled for this same reason. They have not corrected the problem so I think the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited also needs to be recalled. This is a very dangerous situation and they should not wait for reported accidents.

I have been driving for 40 years and never had a vehicle do this!

- Rosemary D., South Hamilton, MA, US

Jul 102017

Tucson

I see I have the same problems as other Tucson owners: hesitation when accelerating, car pulling forward when my foot was on the brake; engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating. There is a 5 second delay when accelerating. I called the dealership to ask about the hesitation when accelerating and was told it was supposed to do that because it was a gas saving feature. Seeing other complaints makes me realize that was not true. When I took my Tucson in for its first oil change I mentioned these problems and was told they couldn't find anything wrong and basically I was a "woman" so I really didn't know what I was talking about. I feel this is a serious problem and needs to be fixed. I am really sorry I bought this vehicle.

- Sharon F., Sumner, US

Feb 272018

Tucson Sport 1.6L

For a fairly new vehicle purchased within a month with a 'sport' name, it can be sluggish. Had 2012 Tucson with a lot of get up and go. Not sure if it is just transmission or engine problem with my 2017 Tucson 1.6 Sport. Tried to back up 2 days ago and gave it gas and nothing happened! This was embarrassing for I was leaving a parking space right off the hwy with a policeman directing me. Finally the car backed up. Hopefully there will be a fix for this. I have complained strongly to Hyundai customer care today about it and think it is a safety issue. Almost feels like something is holding it back when I give it the gas. Cannot recommend the 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport at this time. I hope Hyundai looks into it or I will get another brand for my next vehicle.

- Marilyn L., Myrtle Beach, US

Nov 012017

Tucson AWD Value 1.6L T

I am currently leasing a 2017 Hyundai Tucson, thank goodness I DID NOT BUY THIS TRUCK! It's unfortunate, cause the style is very sporty and I love the panoramic roof.

The transmission dual clutch is a serious hazard. I was almost t-boned when making a left hand turn. I had accelerated, then floored the peddle and the car merely coasted with a 5 second delay praying that the car would catch and I would not be hit!!

1. No power when trying to accelerate from a stop 2. I have also experienced the car pulling forward even when my foot was on the brake 3. A "jerking" motion when shifting gears 4. Engine revs very loud when slowly accelerating (sounds like I'm trying to drag race, pretty embarrassing)

After speaking to the dealership about this, they said that the engineers are aware of the problem and unfortunately all the 2017/2018 models have this issue! That's a pretty big recall that they are NOT willing to make.

How many accidents have to be reported before this is resolved???? Hyundai need to make this RIGHT!

- Michele D., Fairfield, US

Sep 242017

Tucson Sport 1.6L

This is my third Hyundai I've owned, so generally I'm a fan of Hyundai. However, my 2017 Tucson with the Dual Clutch transmission is seriously flawed and needs to be fixed.

After reading other posts from customers experiencing the delay in the transmission, I contacted Hyundai to report the problem. If you're having the same or similar problems, here's what I recommend for now: 1) Contact Corporate Customer Care: 800-633-5151. You'll need to start here and receive a claim number. 2) Take your vehicle to the dealer to be inspected. However, I suspect they will NOT be able to trip a code or discern anything conclusive. But you need to get this documented. The service manager at the dealer I took my Tucson to said he was pretty certain the car would not trip a code, yet he knows the dual clutch transmission is a problem and needs to be fixed.

So now that I've done this, Hyundai got back to me today and said that "the problem has been resolved because the vehicle is performing as designed." I had a good laugh with Landon on the phone and asked him to drive my vehicle for a few days to see if he thought the problem was resolved.

I'm not one to complain; like I said, I've owned two other Hyundai's and I'm a fan. But my wife doesn't want to drive this vehicle because she's afraid she'll get into an accident when the transmission fails to engage. On the bright side, this is the first vehicle I've ever leased, so I guess if I avoid an accident between now and 32 months, the problem won't be mine.

One last thing...I'm going to attempt to have someone take video while I'm driving to capture the delay in transmission. If we can capture it on video, I will send it to Hyundai first. If they ignore it, I'll likely post it to social media and ask others to share it until this dual clutch gets fixed :).

- John C., Plainfield, US

Sep 012017

Tucson ECO V4

I have the problem all the time. Accelerating from a stop. It is very annoying and I feel it is a huge safety concern as I push the gas from a stop, or when trying to pull out onto a highway, and it will hesitate, no gas, nothing, then lunge forward. Very unhappy with this. Not sure what I can do about this problem. I'm afraid I'm going to get t-boned. I have to wait till there is no traffic to make a turn, that is not always an option. I've haven't taken this to the dealer yet, but I have left emails on Hyundai site and at dealership, of which I have not received any response. I need time off to take this in as I live 40 miles from dealership.

So over Christmas I will make an appointment. But I'm reading the complains and it seems that this a problem with this vehicle which is not being dealt with, and there is no solution. This is a leased car, and sad to say, at this moment in time, I will not be choosing another Hyundai vehicle.

- Debra M., Clarks Summit, US

Jan 012018

Tucson Sport 1.6t

On several occasions the car hesitates to move when gas pedal depressed a small amount. Car usually moves forward by itself when the brake disengaged and no gas applied. One morning when backing out of my driveway, a slight hill, the car actually began rolling forward while the car was in reverse. The hesitation seems to happen less when in "Sport" mode.

- mortificatio, Fair Oaks, US

Oct 112017

Tucson Night 1.6L

I have a 2017 Tucson with a Dual Clutch Transmission. Vehicle hesitates when attempting to accelerate from a stop, making a turn or when "coasting". It is also not smooth and "jerks" sometimes when switching gears.

The hesitation can be anywhere from 2 seconds to 20 seconds. This is particularly scary and dangerous when making a left turn into oncoming traffic. You usually only have a few seconds to make the turn and cannot afford any type of delay!

I have been to my local dealer twice already in the 2 months I've had it and they say what I am experiencing is "typical of a dual clutch transmission". They run diagnostics and say everything is fine.

This is not acceptable and it's a matter of time until a serious if not fatal accident occurs because of this faulty transmission. Hyundai needs to immediately recall these vehicles and replace the transmission to the 2.0L automatic.

- Megan W., Seattle, US

Mar 012017

Tucson

I am currently leasing a 2017 Hyundai Tucson, love the car, but do not feel safe while driving it! It never fails when I need to accelerate to turn left, or onto a traffic filled road, I have no acceleration. The car literally hesitates as if it is going to die and I start to panic that I am going to get hit! I can accelerate just fine from a complete stop at a traffic light, or railroad tracks as it happens more when I am in a coasting mode and I try to accelerate. I had it to the Hyundai dealership once already and they could not duplicate the problem. I am taking it in again and will once again bring it to their attention. I previously owned, and traded in, a 2003 Santa Fe and never experienced anything like this.

- Sandra N., Plainfield, US

Feb 082017

Tucson LX 1.6L

Very dangerous. This transmission is JUNK!!! Hyundai will get someone killed by this problem!

- Scott B., Kokomo, IN, US

Jan 162017

• CVT transmission

I've had 7 Hyundais. Liked them all until now. This 7 speed dual clutch transmission is awful. Lurches from a stop, hesitates like it wants to stall. Brought it in to the dealer twice, they say there are no "codes" coming up. When I tell them about everyone else's complaint, and that there is a class action law suit they say they can't comment. They just lost a loyal customer.

- Paul M., Toms River, US

Jul 192017

Tucson SE Plus 2.0L Inline 4cyclinder

Purchased a 2017 Hyundai Tuscon in May of 2017. I have now experienced the hesitation from a stopped position. My car has less than 2,000 miles and now I read that the 2016 Tuscon has/had the same problem.....REALLY....I have scheduled my car at the dealership. They indicated there have been a lot of complaints and that a "computer" glitch with the double clutch transmission is the cause. AND THAT THE AVAILABLE COMPUTER UPDATE/FIX MIGHT NOT LAST.....REALLY REALLY REALLY. SO THE PROBLEM HAS EXISTED AND THE FIX IS STILL NOT 100%. AM I SUPPOSED TO FIND OUT WHEN I'M TRYING

TO ACCELERATE ONTO THE INTERSTATE!!!! This is my third Hyundai, most recently I traded in my 2015 Sonata which I absolutely LOVED, never one mechanical issues with the Sonata. NOW I'M EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND APPREHENSIVE.

Update from Aug 5, 2017: Took vehicle to dealership...they were unable to confirm our concern during a road test

Checked for "DTCS AND TSBS none were found...they reset the "TA Adaptives"

We were instructed to bring vehicle back if problem occurs again. So far so good!

If problem reoccurs...dealership with contact Hyundai.

- Patricia I., Sidney, US