8.0

$25,000

Most common solutions:

1. replace engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jaguar XF:

Feb 282015

XF SAJAC07

We have a 4 year old Jaguar (Model- XF, Car No.- WB06C 6030).

The car is taken out occasionally and is self- driven. The last time it was taken out for a short drive and parked back in the garage smoothly. It did not start the next time we wanted to use it.

We called the Jaguar helpline. The mechanics spent 6 hours on the car. The technicians came subsequently and towed the car away to the Jaguar's workshop- Lexus Motors Ltd on the 28th of Feb, 2015.

Mr.Goswami from the workshop gave us the feedback that the engine oil sump had been damaged and the engine has seized. Recent feedback after opening the engine was that the engine was totally burnt out.

We are shocked as: 1) The car was in an impeccable state clearly suggesting that no accident had occurred. In all probability it went over a bumper. How can going over a bumper lead to so much damage to a Jaguar?

2) There was no message on the dashboard reflecting the low level of oil during the last drive.

Shouldn't there be some mechanism/ inbuilt control in a car like Jaguar to stop the same, in case of a potential danger of engine seizure.

3) The Jaguar mechanics were called upon immediately. They tried replacing the battery and made innumerable attempts to start the car during which there were instances when the engine rotated. Why did they not check the engine oil levels before undertaking this course of action for 6 hours? This course of action has in all probability caused damage.

4) The engine could not have seized till the time we used the car as we discovered a large pool of Mobil collection under the car after its last use. I have photographs to that effect.

At what stage did the car's engine become totally burnt out from normally running during last use ??

I have now been given a quotation of 16 lacs for replacing the engine. This is beyond our means and more importantly our comprehension.

I contacted Ms. Pranali who is handling Customer Relations from Mumbai and asked for help from Jaguar's end. She dismissed my plea.

It is extremely unfair to hold the owner liable for an accident (if you may call this one so) that has not happened as a result of his bad judgement, carelessness or overlooking any signals by the car. Jaguar needs to step in and take accountability in this unique case.

I have family and friends who have Mercedes, Audi and BMW and have had these cars for years without having to face any problems that I did with Jaguar. They are equally shocked on learning about my experiences of Jaguar and are advising me to move the consumer court.

I request you to take up my case with the company and seek their help.

Hope it gets a favorable response from a company that claims to be synonymous with quality and a symbol of fairness.

- Shalini C., Kolkata, India