7.8

Most common solutions:

2. not fixed (6 reports)
  3. replace transmission (1 reports)
  4. software update (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Feb 252015

Cherokee North

Ever since we first purchased the Jeep, it has been shifting roughly especially in the first 3 gears. Also seems to not shift in time, causing jerking and a very "hard shift". Feels like someone who's letting the clutch out too soon (only its an automatic). The dealer has done a few "updates" and assures nothing is wrong but it is annoying as hell.

- , Barrington Passage, NS, Canada

Jun 162017

Cherokee V6

I have a strong feeling that there will soon be a recall of the Transmissions in the V6 Cherokees from 2014-2015. I have had this problem since I bought the car and the dealerships (three of them) have always said that it's either the way I drive, or the car was just settling in. Suddenly, when I complained to a fourth dealership, they were all "bring it in, lets get that taken care of while the warranty is still good". Practically begging for me to bring it in. They know there are problems and don't seem to argue anymore. Same thing with Chrysler's warranty department when I called to make sure they would pay for the rental car if the transmission needed to be replaced - "no problem, we will get you a rental car for as long as you need it."

- , Gresham, OR, US

Feb 102017

Cherokee Limited

The car had hesitation and issues with changing gears. The transmission light kept coming on. The dealer kept the car for about a month and then gave it back to us without fixing the issue. They could replicate it but couldn't by they time they gave it back to us. The 2nd day we had it the issue resurfaced again. We immediately took the car back with the error messages still on the car. They first tried to change the main "brain" of the transmission but told us it would not sync up with the existing transmission. They then ordered the new transmission and replaced it. See next complaint for further issues.

- , Fort Worth, TX, US

Mar 152017

Cherokee Latitude V6

I can rev the engine while waiting for the transmission to shift from forward to reverse. If I don't wait for reverse to engage and just press the accelerator, the engine will rev and when the transmission finally engages, the vehicle will lurch forward, usually spinning the wheels. This could be very dangerous! The dealer told me there is no fix from jeep and I'll have to live with it. I don't dare let anyone drive this vehicle or they could wreck! It also does this but not as bad when shifting into drive.

- , Palm Harbor, US

Mar 032017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

This is an ongoing problem since we purchased this car in Nov 2015. We have reported it to the dealer multiple times, but they never have a fix or good answer. Sometimes the transmission hesitates and it takes it several seconds before it engages when trying to take off, which can be very scary when moving into traffic. Sometimes it jumps forward or jerks when shifting from one gear to the next, which is also unnerving. Sometimes when you put it in reverse it jumps back very quickly. We are afraid it is going to cause an accident. On this visit to try to get it fixed again the tech says they can not find the problem.

- , Haslet, TX, US

Aug 042016

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

This is an ongoing problem that we had. What we experience is scary at times though, when we are in our garage and put it in reverse it shoots backwards very quickly sometimes if we let off the brake at all. Sometimes when we try to pull forward from a stop it will jump forward and sometimes it will hesitate and won't go until a couple seconds after we accelerate. This can be very scary when trying to move into traffic. You never know if it will go or not. Also sometime just going down the road when it should be shifting to the next gear it jerks and jumps. At this visit the dealer said they reprogrammed a Power Train module. However we continued to have the problem.

- , Haslet, TX, US

Apr 042016

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

Fed up in Arizona. Purchased 2015 Jeep new from dealer and have had jerky and hard shift transmission ever since. Extremely annoying. Have been to the dealer 4 times. Story is: that's just the way the 9 speed functions. BS!!!!! I'm an x-engineer from the OEM Supply chain and no vehicle should be launched with issues like this. No vehicle that cost $35k+ should function like this. Had multiple SW updates which is what I assumed would fix it. Hell no. SOS as if nothing was done. I thought of trading but found the KBB has my year old vehicle listed at 1/2 the price I paid. Completely unacceptable. At this point it appears I will have to suck it up and eat the loss or simply put up with a jerky vehicle that people constantly ask; "why does your new vehicle jerk and rough shift like that". My answer is I made a bad choice of investing hard earned money in a FCA vehicle. A mistake I am not likely to make again. And they wonder why people buy foreign vehicles..........sad.

- , Goodyear, AZ, US

Jun 152015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

The 9 speed transmission on this vehicle does not shift properly, especially through the first 3 gears. I have brought my 2015 Jeep Cherokee in for transmission issues countless times and have been told this is how this transmission is suppose to operate. I am supposed to accept that the shifting from 1st to 2nd can be delayed and then a hard shift that sounds like someone hit my car when it finally decides to shift into third or the same is true from 3rd to second.

The dealership finally was able to correct these hard shifts with a software update until I realized what the software actually did. The car will now not shift into 2nd when slowing down, and when it does finally shift down, after slowing down to 3 mph, it shifts to 1st gear completely by passing 2nd gear. This causes the car to accelerate very slowly if you get caught between 1st and 3rd gear and if you press to hard on the accelerator it tends to downshift too hard causing the car to lurch forward and cause a potential accident with any cars in front of you.

This had been going on since June 2015 until the software update removed 2nd gear from the downshift. Since the car does not down shifts to 2nd my car takes longer to slow down as there is no help from the transmission and this can also cause an accident as your stopping time is increased, as well as additional wear and tear on your breaks.

- , Jensen Beach, US

Sep 052016

Cherokee ES 3.2L V6

Jeep Cherokee 2015 transmission slips, does not go into gear. Brought to the dealer on 4/28/17 said they had to update the software, still does not fix the problem. DO NOT PURCHASE A JEEP CHEROKEE.

- , Gloucester, US

Aug 012015

Cherokee

Since the purchase of this Jeep I have had nothing but problems with it. Dealership keeps telling me I need to bring it in every 3 months for an update are you kidding me.. It still does not fix the issue and to top it off today 5/13/17 only had the car less then 2 years bought it brand new with 15 mi the piece of crap A/C compressor exploded while I was driving. Then I had to pay $100 deductible just for it to be fixed. I'm so stressed over this car. There is no end in sight with this lemon. I been ripped off with this piece of crap of a so called vehicle. One day this horrible transmission is going to kill me in a car accident. As soon as I push the pedal down to accelerate it moves at 2 mph. Don't try to pull out with traffic coming I might not live.

- , Phoenix, US

Apr 222017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

Gripe : this is the most piece junk car I ever bought. Going to change for another car soon...

- , Orange, US

Apr 142016

Cherokee Limited

THIS "FIX" DID NOT HELP. The jeep still shifts rough from 1 to 2 up shift and delayed down shift from 3 to 2. Very dangerous to drive.

- , Palm Desert, CA, US

Aug 022016

Cherokee Trail Hawk 3.2L V6

The transmission is NEVER in the correct gear. When slowing down and then accelerating (like when turning left), the transmission is still in gear 6 or 7. It should be in 2 or 3 so that the vehicle can accelerate. I now know that I can't turn left safely until there are no cars coming for almost a quarter mile because I will not be able to make the turn in time. This frustrates me and people behind me. It is a also a safety issue.

Also, when I am accelerating from being completely stopped, the vehicle is rarely in gear. After pressing on the gas for a while, it finally decides to shift out of neutral and you either go super slow because you are in a high gear, or squeal tires. Also a safety issue. I have taken it in twice. Jeep acknowledges what it does, but will not fix the problem. They say that it may not be functioning like I want it to, but it is functioning by Jeep design. Nine speed tranny for a 3.2L v6. It doesn't work. It is completely dangerous and ridiculous.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 092015

Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

There seems to be a massive complaint about this problem and it falls on deaf ears. I'm sick and tired of nothing being done. Other people who have driven the car complained that they thought they had been hit from behind as it shifts into gear. How many times do I have to complain about this and still get nothing done?

- , Las Vegas, US

Feb 142017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Terrible shifting from a stop, downshifting, and makes a loud clunk. Noticeable delay of 1 to 1.5 seconds from when accelerator is depressed before the transmission engages. Terrible lack of acceleration to the point where it is dangerous to pull out onto a road with higher speed limits. Better be sure nothing is coming or you might get hit. Flooring the pedal does not increase acceleration initially. After a slow acceleration, it suddenly kicks in and feels like it is at maximum acceleration. 4 trips to the dealer. Case created with FCA. Dealer tells me nothing is wrong but acknowledged they felt the same issues I described. Said they cannot fix it as there is no fix for it. Said its just how the jeep drives. Complete Bullshit

- , Springfield, US

Apr 202016

Cherokee Limited V6

Tranny is worst of any auto I ever had. Bucks and lurches. Slow to respond to gas when pulling out. Seeks a gear while I wait in traffic.

TOO MANY RECALLS !!! This junker Jeep has been in the shop MANY TIMES, than I can't count. WAIT 27 days to get into a dealer for recalls or FIX IT RIGHT service. Now a moldy musty smell come out of the heater. Some problem with the AC condenser. Must wait, once again, for the appointment. Leased this junker Jeep and still have a year left. after 2+ years only 10,970 miles on it ! Won't take it on a long trip anymore. Can't depend on this lemon. Dealers say there is nothing wrong with trans. The updates don't fix it. When will GOV.step in on the dangerous vehicle ??

- , Germantown, US

Feb 072015

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L

This 9 speed transmission is terrible. Every time I come to a rolling stop and accelerate after, the transmission seems to slip for a good 2 seconds before it decides to grab, causing the tires to squeal and jerking the whole vehicle forward. This has to be a safety issue, especially with a newborn in the back seat!

- , Eagle, WI, USA

Jun 012016

Cherokee Limited V6

The transmission shifts rough in the lower 3 gears.

- , Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 192016

Cherokee Limited V6

This 9-speed transmission demonstrates difficulties in the lower gears. Sometimes there a a delay when pressing on the gas. Sometimes there is a delay in shifting to the next gear. Sometimes it jerks into the next lower gear when decelerating, causing a lurch. At freeway speeds, there is a definite delay in pressing the accelerator, complicating proper speed maintenance and passing.

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 122016

Cherokee Limited 4x4 2.4L 4-cyl

My Jeep has always shifted gears very poorly. This was my first brand new car purchase, so initially I thought it was a normal thing, but it got worse and worse over time. Anytime I wanted to change lanes and accelerate, the transmission felt like it was in neutral, wouldn't move and then all of a sudden a huge jerk and kick into 2nd gear. It feels like your getting rare ended.

- , Chicago, IL, USA