Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

Apr 162018

Cherokee

My 2016 Jeep Cherokee has less than 30000 miles on it. It shifts extremely rough from neutral to drive. The engine has a loud ticking at idle.

- St George, UT, USA

Aug 172017

Cherokee

On 6 separate occasions I¿ve had an annunciation on the driver instrument display of 'service shifter¿ with associated red illumination of all shift positions of P, R, N, D accompanied by a single chime. The driver instrument display remains frozen on 'service shifter¿ and any attempt to change pages to check for stored messages is not acknowleged until the car is shutdown, then restarted. No faults appear when stored messages are reviewed. Once restarted the message 'service shifter¿ is cleared. There appears to be no commonality between each reoccuring episode. Once it came on after start, the rest while I was driving between 30mph and 50mph after sometime in a straight line on urban streets and secondary highways. Mileage it first came on was 16014 then 18875, 20949, 21225, 21422 and finally 24216(just as I was pulling into the Jeep dealership for service). Jeep service provided little information on the problem and released the car to me. My online research showed several Jeep, different models, on the Jeep forum with the same malady as far back as 2014. As of this date my Jeep¿ software is up-to-date with no recalls.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Apr 032018

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle lost power. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The dealer (heritage Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram owings mills, 11212 reisterstown rd, owings mills, md 21117) was contacted and advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact to take the vehicle to the dealer. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Mar 312018

Cherokee

My Jeep Cherokee sport 2016 got stuck in a gear and would not shift. The service transmission light came on and the gas pedal would not do anything. It happened 5 times on my way home from a road trip and was very dangerous. The Jeep apparently needs a software update and I believe I shouldn't have to pay for that. The vehicle only has 30K miles on it.

- Harrisburg, NC, USA

Mar 242018

Cherokee

Three times recently I was pulling out from a stop sign and the car would not go. I thought the engine had died but it was still on/running. Then on a separate incident I was traveling on the interstate at 55 mph when the service transmission light suddenly came on and the speed dropped down to 20 mph and I could not control the speed.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Mar 172018

Cherokee

The automatic lighting had been switching between day and night mode for a couple of days. Then while driving, without warning, the car came to a stop and gave a message "you must be in park before shifting gears". the engine then stopped. This occurred in a rotary, luckily on a quiet street. After a couple of minutes, I was able to start the car and it appeared fine.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 052017

Cherokee

Transmission stalling while starting 0-20 mph. Hard shifts and service light flashing. After several instances, vehicle transmission stopped working as I approached a stop sign. I stopped, shut off and restarted the vehicle in park, shifted to drive and the vehicle operated in reverse.

- Black River Falls, WI, USA

Mar 152018

Cherokee

Transmission randomly goes into neutral & the car does not move when pressing the gas. The 1st time it happened I was pulling out on an extremely busy highway & making a right to merge into traffic. My car froze in the lane & 3 cars nearly hit me at high speeds swerving around me. I brought it to the Jeep dealership as it is under warranty & after a few hours, they called & said it was ready & it was just a "software update". weeks later the same thing happened only this time while making a left to merge into traffic. I was in the median waiting for traffic to clear & when it did, I went - again it was like it was stuck in neutral & this time I was almost hit by a semi-truck who nearly jack-knifed trying not to hit me. Back to the dealership I went expressing my terror & the fact there is no way I feel safe in this car until it's fixed. I'm suppose to put my 15 year-old son behind the wheel of it when he gets his permit in a few weeks"? today is Thursday & my car has been at the dealership since 7:30am last Friday. I have to pick it up tomorrow after work. They called to tell me they "cannot duplicate the problem" & recommended I "drive with their technician to see if it can be duplicated with him in the car..." seriously!? considering this is a random/intermittent issue, & does not come with warning, the duplication effort is not likely. I relayed the research I had done since online & recommended looking at the 9-speed transmission issues that have caused problems with the same car. Explaining they describe the same problem I am experiencing. I was told they "cannot use information found on google" & "they've checked all software updates, recalls, & tsr's..." but "they're all based on the date it was built & nothing's come up". I am literally terrified to drive. I know there's a lemon law here, but I'm afraid the next time it happens I may not be as lucky. Help!!?"

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Jun 012016

Cherokee

The engine shuts off without any warning. It has happened on ramps, a parking garage, on the highway and the middle of an intersection. No warning lights come on until after the engine stops. The steering fails, the brakes fail and the vehicle rolls to a stop. Often, it will take several minutes and attempts to restart the engine. I was advised by the dealership that the oil was low. The engine continues to shut off and with no correlation to time frame after having the oil replaced, time it has been driven, or duration of the trip. This is completely unsafe to the person operating the vehicle and to others on the road. Jeep and the dealership have ignored the problem and I have even been told by Jeep customer service that "the engine is operating as designed" which means that it will shut off without warning to protect the engine, not those inside the vehicle. They have refused to fix or acknowledge the issue, refused to void the lease and refused to replace the vehicle.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Feb 152018

Cherokee

Service transmission and check engine light came on driving on I270 in Maryland and completely lost all power at 60mph and had to carefully coast to the side of the road because vehicle wouldn¿T accelarate anymore. Vehicle is at the dealership now back in Virginia after getting towed from I270. My Jeep only has 27000 miles.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Feb 122018

Cherokee

2/12/18,2016 Jeep Cherokee, 26,300 miles. Driving on I-5 in Washington to seattle tp pick up my pregnant wife from the airport about 45 miles from home speed was 72 mph. Service transmission displayed on dash with the check engine light. The vehicle would rev but slowly accelerate. I was able to get off the highway. Once stopped the car would rev but barley move forward. Pulled into a shopping center, I turned the car off and inspected the engine and underneath the vehicle for any fluids. Once I started the car it would creep forward slowly until it reached 45mph. The service transmission cleared from the display but the check engine light stayed on. The car operated normally but shifted rough. Turned around to head home the service transmission displayed again and the car would not accelerate. Pulled over again turned the car on and off and resumed normal driving. The check engine light is still on but limped 45 miles home. I will be taking the car to the dealership in the morning. Multiple complaints about this issue for the vehicle.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Feb 012018

Cherokee

Driving on the highway a dinging noise check engine light came on service transmission message came up lost all power was barely able to get out of the way of the traffic behind something needs to be done before people get killed this is very dangerous my car only has 61,000 miles on

- Trion, GA, USA

Dec 102017

Cherokee 6-cyl

First time transmission would not engage at a red light, I thought it was somehow my fault. On/off allowed me to proceed. Then, a few weeks later, transmission would not engage after full stop at redlight on a multi lane road with a center median. Was able to stop and restart in 4WD to limp off road, before transmission shut down again. On/off restored function after a few minutes and allowed me to drive directly to dealer. Car "repaired" but hours after return from dealer similar problem attempting to enter a limited access hi-way: Transmission disengaged while trying to accelerate. Problem of drive train engaging has also occurred from a cold start, and it took several on/off cycles to engage transmission and get car back to dealer. Dealer has focused on adaptive sensors and wiring harness (because of a low voltage reading), which make no sense to me. Confusion created because with each transmission failure every warning light on the dashboard went off. Reading these NHTSA bulletins, I have seen several similar postings about the power train not engaging, so I know my problem is not isolated. I mentioned to dealer a 2016 Grand Cherokee recall for brake transmission shift solenoid, which seems to have caused a similar transmission disengagement my suggestion was dismissed. Car only 1 year old and I have barely had use in last 45 days. We are not crazy, and we have a good basis of comparison that something is fundamentally wrong and still undiagnosed. We own an identical second Jeep, purchased within one month of this one. Second Cherokee is fine...so far.. however, on our recommendation my sister in law on other side of country purchased same car within a month of our second. Same car and same mileage/year and she is experiencing an engine shutdown problem. Suspect our problems are related...

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Dec 092017

Cherokee

The transmission slams into gear when re-accelerating. (usually at lower speeds) sometimes the RPM's will increase but the vehicle will not move forward. (this can be dangerous when you need to get up to speed safely.) there is also a minor clicking noise when the air conditioner is turned on. (mostly just annoying)

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Dec 012017

Cherokee

Service shifter light randomly comes on. Nothing else seems to be affected, sometimes when engine is turned off then back on the light disappears. Other times, it remains on. The drive ability of this vehicle is unaffected, how ever something is obviously wrong with this. This first occurred when backing from my driveway, I shifted from reverse to drive, the vehicle dinged, and the light appeared on my dash. Now it will randomly do it, doesn't matter when or where, driving down the road, or simply turning on the vehicle.

- Hartman, AR, USA

Nov 302017

Cherokee

The service shifter light keeps coming on in my car and the car is shifting gears without moving the shifter. I have taken it to the dealer three times and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with the car. The light comes on while driving and the car slows down. The car is becoming dangerous to drive. I need help because I drive this vehicle for work and cannot afford to just park it and make payments on it.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 252017

Cherokee

Driving on hwy 11/25/17 and check engine light and service transmission msg came on. Transmission did not function properly and caused car to be stuck in one gear. Went into limp mode and made it to destination. When car was at a stop it was hard to accelerate because it was stuck in a higher gear. We turned it off and put it in park, when it was restarted it seemed to reset but the check engine light was still on. Recurred again on the way home as well as on 11/26/17. Brought car into Chrysler dealer on 11/28/17. Rode with technician and problem was duplicated. Once car hits 8th gear all warnings return. Diagnostic test gave code for tcm power control circuit high, vehicle was flash reprogrammed and I was advised that it should resolve the issue. This was most recent software update which came on 4/4/17. After a test drive issue currently seems resolved. Reporting it because it is a major safety defect and want it known that newer models are still having issues with the 9 speed transmissions. When this occurs it makes it very unsafe to drive on highway.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Oct 282016

Cherokee

I purchased this vehicle in September 2016 and it was seen in the service department in October 2016 for a loud click from the brake (told this is normal) and the vehicle shutting off during idle twice. An update was done but the issue continued. November 2016 I brought the vehicle in because the back seat would move back and forth if someone was not sitting in it (they had to replace the whole back seat) but as I was driving into the service doors the vehicle skipped and tried to die with lights flashing on the dash. Service could not duplicate. December 2016 brought in because the vehicle kept skipping when trying to take off from a stop. On two occasions it completely stalled but service was unable to duplicate. The vehicle also had issues with shifting too early at times and then shifting was delayed other times. Once again issue could not be duplicated. Later in December I brought it back again and was told there was possibly a fix. January 2017 the vehicle was brought back again due to stalling and the multi air actuator was replaced. The issue continued as the service manager searched for an answer until I had enough in October 2017 when it came to a stop for no reason and the vehicle would make a terrible noise in reverse at times. Service along with fca attempted to fix it but could not duplicate the issue. When I got the vehicle back it it always skips in idle, makes a lawn mower sound in idle and when shutting off makes a whining noise. I have stopped driving the vehicle and am trying to get fca to do the right thing via Georgia's lemon law. I have done my due diligence following fca's required steps and they said they cannot duplicate my issue but would give me a good faith payment for my time. I have asked to talk to supervisors etc but am told that is not their protocol and they closed my case. This vehicle is unsafe!

- Clarkesville, GA, USA

Nov 162017

Cherokee

I came to a complete stop at a red light. The brake and gas pedals were frozen in place and the elictrical equipment on the dash went haywire for a moment. The message center then showed the message "start stop system unavailable/ please return to park, then choose desired gear." I was able to turn on my flashers, but despite shifting to park and to drive several times the transmission would not engage. The engine did not seem to be running. I had to turn the car off and then on with the key several times before the engine turned over. The same thing happened at the next two stop lights. I drove about three miles past the third stoplight, and the same thing happened but while I was driving in motion on a highway at about 55 mph. There was no shoulder. It was terrifying. I turned on my flashers and came to a full stop coasting with no brakes and no ability to shift gears. I turned the car off and on with the key again and the car seemed "fine." I used the dash button to turn off the auto-off mechanism and drove the last ten miles home without incident. I'm not sure whether the ess system is related to the malfunction, however the error message and result of turning it off suggests it is. I still have a message that says "service auto on off system." Calling dealership today.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Nov 012017

Cherokee

Vehicle started to jerk (like rear-ended) once; what it seems, from the transmission got heat after driving for 5-10 mins. Feels even more on uphills and accelaration. No dashboard lights. All started around 58000 miles

- Shepherdstown, WV, USA