Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

Sep 172019

Cherokee

While driving on a highway, my 2016 Jeep Cherokee suddenly shut off completely. This did not allow me to accelerate, and the car slowed down which I had to pull over on the highway. There was the engine light and the battery light shown on the display. After couple times of attempting to restart the vehicle, I was able to drive it fine to work. This was really dangerous especially with I had no engine problems previously to warn that such thing was going to happen.

- New Brunswick, NJ, USA

Aug 012019

Cherokee

TL the contact owns a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the check engine and service gear shifter indicators illuminated. The contact called jim ellis Toyota of mcdonough (144 highway 81 w, mcdonough, ga 30253, (770) 288-3755) and informed them of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Jackson, GA, USA

Sep 052019

Cherokee

While driving home on a city street at approx. 35mph, my 2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude lost power and shut off, stating "shift to P and then desired gear" and the battery light illuminated. There were no warnings before this occurred. The vehicle lost power steering and brakes, and was then hesitant to restart. After starting, the vehicle jumped forward a bit but would not properly drive, and was towed home and then ultimately to a dealer. The vehicle has been having transmissions issue and was also found to have a defective battery 3 weeks ago, so the safety concerns of this vehicle continue to grow. After researching, I learned this is an extremely common issue, often caused by low oil, or no cause found. There are high risks to life and property for a vehicle that will just shut down at will without any warning.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 052019

Cherokee

Jeep Cherokee wouldnżT start. It tries to turn over, all of the lights and the radio come on, but the engine wonżT start. Iżve tried jumping it and made sure there was enough gas, and still had no luck. Happened last week, had battery checked and it was fine.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 272019

Cherokee

Purchased 2106 Jeep Cherokee in April 2019. Had car looked over and oil changed April 19, 2019 @30,141 miles. On 8/14/19 the vehicle stalled while leaving a stop sign. Total loss of control of the car. Dashboard lights flash and display instructs you to put the car in park. After 3 attempts the car starts. Thought it was a fluke. 8/24/19 the same event happens again, except on a busier road. Very scary and concerned about being hit from behind. 4 attempts to restart car, finally starts and I drive directly to mechanic. 8/27/19 happens multiple times to mechanic, who agrees this is a very dangerous situation in moving traffic. The computer does not indicate any problem. Based on information I had found on line, he checks the oil to find no oil on the dipstick. Car is @ 35,242 miles & consumed 4 qts of oil during 5100 miles. I am told that this is way too much oil to be used for this number of miles. The more I poke around on line, I see that many Jeep Cherokee owners are reporting the same problems. Countless that have happened on the highway, which I can't begin to think how deadly that can be. It appears that Jeep/Chrysler is doing nothing about this problem. They have recalled the 2019 Jeep Cherokee for this problem. I would also believe this is an environmental problem with excessive amount of oil being burned. I do have receipts from the service garage. Please help

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Aug 122019

Cherokee

Bought this car at 17K miles and now have 50K. 10K before the warranty runs out and dealer will only address this issue if the vehicle will show this issue at the time it is at the dealer. Issue is unpredictable. Car jerks hard from first to second gear, almost as if you have been rear ended. Car has trouble shifting to higher speed upon entering the highway. There is also a pronounced "ticking" noise when engine is running/idle

- Norton, MA, USA

Aug 082019

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle jerked while shifting between first, second, and third gears, and lost power. In addition, the rpms failed to increase to 2,000 and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact disconnected the battery cable, but the failure recurred. The contact used the lpb reader and received code: P0887 (tcm high voltage). The contact called East Tennessee Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (2774 N main St, crossville, tn 38555, (931) 463-3640), but the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Rockwood, TN, USA

May 032019

Cherokee

Service shifter error on dash board. All lights on gear shifter come on at once P, R, N, D. it only comes on when driving and doesnżT go off until the car is turned off. It isnżT daily but it's still scary.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 062019

Cherokee

My wife's Jeep Cherokee 2016 while driving 3 times in the last month has stalled while making a slight right turn. The display signals engine, and battery flash and then the car dies with no power instantly. My pregnant wife was commuting during rush hour the last time this happened and this nearly caused her to be rear ended. Luckily the driver behind her was paying attention and avoided the collision. Now my wife was stuck in traffic with no power for 5 minutes until the car turned back on. After a lot of online research, I found 90 plus complaints about this exact issue. Apparently the 2.4 L motor in the 2016 Jeep Cherokee has a safety feature that causes this stalling based on low oil levels. So this poorly engineered engine burns 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles, this causes your oil to run significantly low before the manufacturers recommended oil service periods. My mechanic inspected the vehicle and has come to the same conclusion, we will have to add 1 qt of oil every thousand miles. This car has less than 36K miles and will now require extra oil for its life, which is ridiculously tedious for a 30K$ car. However the stalling with no warning and causing loss of power in traffic will eventually lead to accidents and should be a significant safety concern.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Aug 062019

Cherokee

Vehicle, while in motion, stalls and engine shuts off at any speed. Being told oil burns too quickly in these vehicles and this is a safety feature the car has although it has almost cost me multiple serious/potentilly fatal collisions with my infant children in the vehicle. No oil indicator has ever turned on indicating oil level is low. Had same issue with this car at 15,000 miles in which engine was completely replaced but now is doing the same thing as before. This is a well documented issue amongst Jeep - why has there not been a recall? this is a major safety concern and our lives and the lives of our children are at risk as I almost was T-boned today as my engine stalled in a busy intersection. I was attempting to turn but had not yet maneuvered and was left stalled in the middle blocking oncoming traffic on a busy city street but had had this same problem happen on a highway.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 232019

Cherokee

The problem started 7/23/2019. The Jeep is stopping randomly at red lights and stop signs. It starts back up but the ac is on defrost and I have to put it back on cool. The first time it did this I read about some reviews that stated it could be because an oil change is needed. Since it was time for an oil change, I did that. But the next day it did the same thing, randomly stopping. Also changed a dirty air filter. Scheduled a diagnostic test for 7/29/19 and will see if Jeep can help with this problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 232019

Cherokee

On 2 separate occasions while in motion on a city street all of the gear shifts lights came on and where you see your mileage that screen read service shifter. This stayed visible until the car was turned off and restarted. The car also jerks while in motion and the brakes where supposed to be fixed last week from the dealership that I purchased the car from but its still feels like the brakes are grinding.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 152019

Cherokee

My 2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude has suddenly turned off twice in the middle of the road while driving. A "shift gear" light warning appears on the dashboard. Both times it occured shortly while starting to drive home from work. Therefore, occured within 10 minutes of starting the engine. The first time it occured within seconds after turning left at a light.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Jul 142019

Cherokee

Bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with 60miles on it within 3 weeks car shut off 3 time while driving with signal shift gear comes on. Have to put car in park and turn off car and turn on a few times and it will be fine two months later it happens again this time happening a few time in the same day a few minutes apart. This dangerous because it happens while your driving on the road with no warning.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 062019

Cherokee

2016 Jeep Cherokee limited fwd, misfiring and shaking began while stopped at traffic light and while driving afterwards for 1/2 mile. Automatic start/stop was on. Pulled off road and turned engine off and let set for 1-hour. Restarted vehicle and began shaking and misfiring again. This time engine light came on and start/stop system warning came on. Shut vehicle off again and let sit for 30 minutes. Started vehicle again and put in reverse, drove for a few minutes and vehicle began shaking and misfiring again while going through the shifting sequence. Drove it to a dealership and it did this the entire way, approximately 10 miles. No matter what speed I was driving it was still happening. The shaking/misfiring seemed to subside a little when A/C was not in use. In addition to other warning lights coming on, service-shifter light came on while making a right-hand turn.

- Davenport, FL, USA

May 062019

Cherokee

Vehicle stalls and cuts off while driving and steering wheel locked up without warning. No check engine lights on and no explanation. After several times it was found that the engine was completely out of oil. Oil consumption test resulted in an engine replacment from scratching on inside cylinder walls. New engine 11-2017. New engine is starting to do the same thing and is burning oil. Car will shut off.

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jun 152019

Cherokee

While in motion: 2016 Jeep Cherokee will randomly lose engine power during a right turn (on highway at high speed and at low speed on city street), steering locks up, decelerates automatically, and dash says to put vehicle into manual mode and select the desired gear. This is very dangerous and has almost caused an accident two times.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jun 062019

Cherokee

Vehicle stalls during deceleration into right hand turns. Extremely dangerous. Hundreds of complaints about the same issue occurring under the same circumstances. Dealership is denying any problems exist and cannot duplicate issue. Online complaints state that some dealerships stating it is due to low oil and oil consumption is very high and problem can occur even with vehicle maintained to manufacturers specifications. I have been almost rear ended several times due to this issue and Chrysler needs to recall these vehicles and make it right no matter the cost. No warning or trouble lights prior to complete loss of power. They just recalled the 2019 models for this very problem but they need to recall prior years experiencing the same issues. This is a serious safety issue especially when entering the highway were cars our traveling at a high rate of speed.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Apr 052019

Cherokee

This issues has happened twice once I was at an intersection and the second time I was on the freeway. I am driving with no issues and then all of a sudden the car loses speed. I will go from 70-0mph with in seconds, all the lights will come on on my dash board and I am unable to speed up or even steer out of the way. The second time this happened to me I was in the fast lane on the freeway with my daughter, no cars behind me because I would have been hit with out a question. It sounded as if the car shut down with out actually turning off. I had the car towed to the dealer where they had no explanation for me both times this happened. As soon as they would connect it to diagnose they said the codes would clear and the car was working. Both times this has happened and now I am scared every time I drive. Now the stereo will not turn on. The screen is on but will not move from the Jeep sigh it will flicker on and off but not ever move from there.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Jun 022019

Cherokee

I turned on the car, let it warm up for about 3 minutes. Put it in drive, I was on the road for about 5 minutes and all the lights on the dashboard turned on, the car stalled and the motor turned off. The transmission was stuck in drive and I had to forcefully find a way to move it to neutral or park to restart the car. When I checked the fluids on the vehicle everything was ok with the exception of the oil dip stick. All the oil had burned away and I was still about 2000 miles away from next oil change. All my oil changes were done at the Jeep dealership where the car was purchased and we used synthetic oil to protect the engine. This is very dangerous that no warning signs are given to the drivers and that the car completely shuts off in the middle of the road. I tried to resolve this issue with the dealership but they said that because there is no recall for this common problem, they cannot resolve it. Please help!

- Great Neck, NY, USA